Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • New_Guy_2016
    • By New_Guy_2016 4th Feb 17, 10:48 AM
    • 107Posts
    • 25Thanks
    New_Guy_2016
    Parking Dispute
    • 4th Feb 17, 10:48 AM
    Parking Dispute 4th Feb 17 at 10:48 AM
    Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some help before taking any action on my parking problem. Basically I bought a house in a new build by Miller which has a parking area which has allocated bays for certain properties and then 2 Visitor spaces. It compromises of 3 house and 3 flats. The houses get 2 allocated parking spaces and the flats 1. Then there are the 2 visitor spaces.

All residents and their guests are quite good at parking where they should so no problem there. The issue is a house 2 doors down which has a driveway and a garage and no allocated bays in this parking area have started parking both their business vehicles in the visitors spots.

Now I am pretty sure they do not have a right to park in here and it was a bit annoying when they used to used 1 Visitor space but now they are using both I feel they are taking advantage.

I have made some signs which clearly say these spaces are for residents and their visitors only. I plan on sticking them up in the spaces and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are unaware(although I doubt this).

But as their are no signs like you usually see in these parking areas that say resident only, I wanted to check my rights and was there any small chance they were allowed to park in here. But even so to take up both visitors spaces every day/night is still out of order in my opinion.

Thanks for any help in advance
Page 8
    • New_Guy_2016
    • By New_Guy_2016 7th Feb 17, 8:01 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    New_Guy_2016
    Parking
    Not worth it, if they need tax to park in the bays them anyone can use them.
    Originally posted by Billy Bullocks
    Unlikely but if I did find out they had no tax then parking in visitor bays would be the least of their worries seen as they are driving around in these vehicles on a day to day basis. But I highly doubt they are doing that with both vehicles being business vehicles too as too much to lose
    • stator
    • By stator 8th Feb 17, 12:16 AM
    • 5,895 Posts
    • 3,878 Thanks
    stator
    Not really, I bought and downloaded the offending Neighbours plans and on our page where it says we have right of use of these visitor spaces, theirs has no mention of it at all so that is something but I presume still a grey area.

I have contacted Miller who built the properties to see what they say
    Originally posted by New_Guy_2016
    Use the land registry online tools to download all the title plans in the surrounding area. It only costs £3 each.
    For you to continue this complaint against the neighbour you really need to establish who owns the land first!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 8th Feb 17, 2:30 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Mercdriver

I know people will view it as wrong but if they are not listening and keep parking there then I have no problem putting my own vehicle there and letting the other neighbours know they can use my spot for visitors. May not work out or make it worse but will see I suppose

Thanks for the advice
    Originally posted by New_Guy_2016
    Right or wrong is one thing, but this will be counterproductive. You will end up with tit for tat and this will NEVER go away. Either make a compromise, get something formal in place between all residents or let sleeping dogs lie.
    • craig1123
    • By craig1123 8th Feb 17, 7:06 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    craig1123
    Not worth it, if they need tax to park in the bays them anyone can use them.
    If they aren't taxed then they can be reported to the police. The OP has said that they are used so they are clearly driven on the road.

Whilst this may not resolve the issue would cause hassle for the owner.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th Feb 17, 12:37 PM
    • 7,091 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    almillar
    Mmm. Think about that for a minute, and you might twig why that's really not a very good analogy.
    Nope, not getting it. Using a space for what it's intended. Clearly not happening here. I think it IS a good analogy, people just care more about disabled spaces. Principle is the same.

Use the land registry online tools to download all the title plans in the surrounding area. It only costs £3 each.
    For you to continue this complaint against the neighbour you really need to establish who owns the land first!
    YES!! Please do this!
    • Billy Bullocks
    • By Billy Bullocks 8th Feb 17, 1:33 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Billy Bullocks
    If they aren't taxed then they can be reported to the police. The OP has said that they are used so they are clearly driven on the road.

Whilst this may not resolve the issue would cause hassle for the owner.
    Originally posted by craig1123
    As long as you're clear they don't need to be taxed to park in the visitors spots and if they do then the OP has no say on who uses them.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 8th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Nope, not getting it. Using a space for what it's intended. Clearly not happening here. I think it IS a good analogy, people just care more about disabled spaces. Principle is the same.
    Originally posted by almillar
    But none of the residents or their guests would ordinarily have use of disabled spaces anyway.

There are 2 spare spaces, which are getting used. Potentially by someone who doesn't have any title to, but that's one for the management company to sort out.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 9th Feb 17, 12:38 PM
    • 7,091 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    almillar
    But none of the residents or their guests would ordinarily have use of disabled spaces anyway.
    And wouldn't it be wrong to park in them?
    There are 2 spare spaces, which are getting used
    They ARE. NOT. SPARE. SPACES. They are spaces for visitors to a selection of properties. Not for the residents of those properties, not for the residents of the nearby residents with vans, for VISITORS.
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 20th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    rjwr
    This is about a private parking space and not a road.
    i see. that smashes me out a bit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,838Users online

Martin's Twitter