Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 3rd Feb 17, 10:11 PM
    • 729Posts
    • 268Thanks
    mojo1
    Boots can't figure out what's wrong with my glasses
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:11 PM
    Boots can't figure out what's wrong with my glasses 3rd Feb 17 at 10:11 PM
    I've been wearing glasses for years, and recently felt I needed a new prescription (headaches, difficulty focusing, fatigue). Went to Boots for an eye test, did all the usual tests, got a new prescription.

Sent off to have some old, well fitting frames reglazed and cleaned up. New lenses are hopeless. Can't focus on stuff beyond arm's length. Went back to Boots, they checked and the lenses are correct, pupil distance is correct (re-measured), couldn't find a thing wrong.

Did another eye test, same result as before. I compared the goggles they use during the test to the glasses, and despite supposedly being the same I could see an obvious difference. But Boots can't figure it out, as far as they can tell the lenses match the prescription which matches the goggles.

Any suggestions on how I can handle this? I could complain to Boots perhaps but I really just want to get the right glasses. Any ideas why the measurements they did would not find what the problem is?
Page 3
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 4th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    I had another test. Seemed better than the last one.

Code:
    Eye     Sph     Cyl     Axis    Prism   VA
    Right   -0.25   -0.75   90      -       6/6-
    Left    +0.25   -1.25   105     -       6/6-

Near +0.75 add
    They recommended a type of varifocal, with distance at the top and the reading magnification at the bottom.

I think I'll have to just try it. My main concern is that they still won't be right for computer screens at about 60-100cm away. The lenses were £230 with a blue-cut coating.
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 4th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    I should add that they think the basic problem is that due to chronic fatigue my eyes have trouble focusing on closer things so some magnification would help.

Interesting that as well as being milder than Boots for general use, their reading addition is half as much.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 4th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,234 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I'm going to predict that you'll hate your left eye prescription. Myopes tend to hate having minus removed from their lenses and going from -0.25 to +0.25 will take a bit of getting used to.

Unless you have your glasses glazed for reading already the add won't change anything a single bit (though I agree that +0.75 is more likely to help that +1.25).

I'm sceptical that varifocals would help, your intermediate add is going to be between 0.25 and 0.50, almost negligible. We used to struggle to get varifocals lenses for -ve prescriptions with an add of less than 1.25 as most myopes are happy looking under their glasses or taking their glasses off to read at that point.

I would definitely know your cancellation/returns policy before buying anything in your circumstances.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 4th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    Thanks GlasweJen. I don't really understand much of this, but yes it does seem odd that I went from -0.25 to +0.25. Maybe I should query that. Seems unlikely that I would go from near to long sighted...

I dug around and found what I am wearing right now:

Code:
    Eye     Sph     Cyl     Axis    Prism   VA
    Right   -0.25   -1.00   89      -       6/5+
    Left    -0.25   -1.00   103     -       6/5+
    Why do you think that the +0.75 won't help? I can't read my computer screen and books are quite bad without my glasses. It's a pain to read in bed these days because I have to wear my glasses to do it.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 5th Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,234 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    You've not went from near to far sighted. There are 2 ways to write a prescription, your optician uses minus cyl so your prescription is:

Eye Sph Cyl Axis Prism VA
    Right -0.25 -0.75 90 - 6/6-
    Left +0.25 -1.25 105 - 6/6-

Written the other way (in plus cyl) it would be
    Right -1.00 +0.75 180 - 6/6-
    Left -1.00 +1.25 15 - 6/6-

I'm sceptical about your near add as you're just a bit young to need reading glasses. Healthy people in their 30s should be able to adjust from distance to near without even thinking about it. The fact you say you wear your current minus prescription in bed to read is counter intuitive to needing reading glasses. Reading glasses have more plus in them to magnify things, your glasses that you wear in bed have minus prescription in them which minifies things. If you find it easier to read with your current glasses on then sticking a +0.75 lens in front of your eye will basically just cut out your minus and leave you with this prescription.

Right +0.50 -0.75 90 - 6/6-
    Left +1.00 -1.25 105 - 6/6-

If your current glasses are helping you with reading and VDU then you don't need readers. You've had a change of prescription that's going to take some bedding in as your left eye is currently over minused (which really won't be helping). Once bedded in, at your age in a healthy individual, your 1 pair of glasses plus your normal accommodative reflexes in your eye will do the job of varifocals for you. You will just need to wear the glasses all the time, even when reading in bed (and make sure there's enough light). Even if you bought varifocals you'd need them on to have any benefit from them reading in bed (and you'd probably hate it as you wouldn't be able to lie down and see through the reading segment, most people who read a lot in bed have a cheap pair of near only glasses for exactly this reason).
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 5th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I've worn varifocals for years and have never had a problem reading in bed. I do though have a cheap-framed pair which I wear then as I also fall asleep a lot and don't want to damage my 'best' specs. If the optician knows exactly for what purposes you need the glasses then slight adjustments can be made for angles etc. I think my bed-use specs are tilted very slightly because of this. They are varifocals though as I also watch TV in bed.
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 5th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    You've not went from near to far sighted. There are 2 ways to write a prescription, your optician uses minus cyl so your prescription is:
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    -- snip --

Ah, thanks, that explains it. I understand now.

I'm sceptical about your near add as you're just a bit young to need reading glasses. Healthy people in their 30s should be able to adjust from distance to near without even thinking about it.
    I guess it is the Chronic Fatigue. My body is exceptionally stupid, nothing works properly. Auto-immune conditions and CFS do all kinds of odd things. I wake up feeling knackered like I need a good night's sleep, for example.

The fact you say you wear your current minus prescription in bed to read is counter intuitive to needing reading glasses.
    Actually I just gave up reading in bed. I can read without my glasses and the book up close, but it's a strain so I just stopped doing it.

If your current glasses are helping you with reading and VDU then you don't need readers. You've had a change of prescription that's going to take some bedding in as your left eye is currently over minused (which really won't be helping). Once bedded in, at your age in a healthy individual, your 1 pair of glasses plus your normal accommodative reflexes in your eye will do the job of varifocals for you.
    So perseverance is the key perhaps. If I can hold out for another six weeks I could get two new pairs for less than a single pair of varifocals here. Get one pair with a normal lens and one with varifocals, and just try them both.

I don't really care about reading any more, just distance + VDU would be enough.

Years ago the optician taught me a simple exercise to help the eye muscles. Take an object like a pen or something, focus on it at arms length and slowly move it towards your face. Do that 5 times a day. It really helped and I do it every day now.

Thanks again for all your help. It's really good to understand the problem, rather than just have to accept advice from people who want to sell me lenses.
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 24th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    Okay, I went to Cameron Davis and get some varifocals as per the prescription. Been wearing them for a week.

Distance is pretty good, a slight improvement over my original prescription and obviously way better than the Boots one. Reading prescription is okay too. No problem getting used to varifocals.

The problem is medium distance stuff like VDU. Still getting eye strain, not any better than the original prescription really. Went back to CD, they suggested trying occupational lenses, despite my young age. They lent me some test occupational lenses (-0.50, or maybe it was +0.50). I used them for a few hours, held on with a rubber band... They seemed to help but I still got eye strain.

Not sure what to do. I can't go back for a couple of weeks so I'll just keep trying this new prescription until then.
    • nedmundo
    • By nedmundo 26th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    nedmundo
    Try pushing your screen back and lowering it.
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    • freya18th
    • By freya18th 27th Mar 17, 5:40 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    freya18th
    I had the same problem with specsavers so went to a different branch of specsavers and paid for an eye test£20 . There was a difference in the prescription I then told them my problem that I had had at the previous specsavers. They put the new lens in at no cost .
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 30th Mar 17, 11:36 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    My monitors are already as far back as they can go without falling off the desk.

It's been getting worse this week. Last week was mostly diagrams, graphic stuff. This week I'm going a lot of writing and I find it is really hard to scan over the page, and reading is slow and error prone.

Starting to despair now.
    • Vimtola
    • By Vimtola 31st Mar 17, 12:23 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vimtola
    Have you had a hospital referal? I had lots of prob with my specs amd it took a hospital visit to fi d the problem. I simply needed prisms added to my script.
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 2nd Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    No hospital referral. Should I ask the optometrist for one?
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 4th Apr 17, 12:22 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    kirtondm
    nothing here indicates a hospital referral to me
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 19th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mojo1
    Wrote a long post but the forum software lost it...

I got some standard lenses made up in Japan and they are fine. In Japan the standard ones are "aspheric", and that seems to make all the difference. £40 including the frames and lenses, ultra light weight, ready in 40 minutes. Like blue light cut, the UK will probably get it in a decade or two.

I'm going to return the varifocals. They are unsuitable for my job, which is the entire reason I wanted a new prescription.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

2,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin