Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 3rd Feb 17, 8:50 PM
    • 353Posts
    • 81Thanks
    misterthrifty
    ecommerce website
    • 3rd Feb 17, 8:50 PM
    ecommerce website 3rd Feb 17 at 8:50 PM
    Hi
    I'm looking for some advice on a new ecommerce website.

I have had a shop on ebay for a couple of years and it's got pretty busy so I'm looking to start a website alongside so I can sell more things direct. It will be pretty simple in design but expandable as I add new items.

I don't have any time to do any work on it and I have no wish to learn how to put a site together. I don't know where to start in finding a web designer who can do the work reliably and for a fair price.

I realise I will have to pay a fair ammount to get the job done properly but I don't want to pay too much, I don't need the job done by next week as I would prefer spending some time to get it right. Any advice on where I can start my search would be appreciated.
    TIA
Page 1
    • bluesnake
    • By bluesnake 3rd Feb 17, 10:11 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    bluesnake
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:11 PM
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:11 PM
    I did give this a glancing look for a friend and although I cant recommends any, but i suggest you google 'magneto opencart' and others should appear too
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 3rd Feb 17, 10:40 PM
    • 9,170 Posts
    • 8,615 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:40 PM
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:40 PM
    How are you planning to take payments?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 4th Feb 17, 12:12 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    misterthrifty
    • 4th Feb 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4th Feb 17, 12:12 PM
    Most payment I take are with Paypal so I would probably stick to that.
    • chunter
    • By chunter 14th Feb 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    chunter
    • 14th Feb 17, 10:58 AM
    • 14th Feb 17, 10:58 AM
    I would imagine the amount of outlay will be proportionate to the amount of outlay you take in. sounds obvious doesn't it.

If you want a website for 200 quid and every sale you get earns a profit of 500, well then you're probably not spending enough on your website.

If you think of any business investment, you plan to recoup your outlay over a number of years, so plan your spending appropriately.

Look through as many different shopping basket websites as you can, go through the ordering process and decide what steps suit your customers best (not you!).

Amongst the many advantages of Paypal, is that you have little to worry about as far as security is concerned, as all the cards and payment details are held by them.

But definitely put the whole site on a secure server - (https). It doesn't cost a whole lot more than standard hosting and offers a welcome security for prospective clients.

And make sure the website is ultra tablet and smart-phone compatible. It's the future..

And there must be a significant advantage for the prospect to buy off the website, rather than off ebay.

and gather up all those prospective email contacts, weekly email deals, facebook offers, twitter updates, new product information.

- your own website is a lot more hard work than just sticking stuff on ebay!
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Feb 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 14th Feb 17, 11:00 AM
    • 14th Feb 17, 11:00 AM
    [singing voice] Love is in the air [/singing voice]

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5599665
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • deskhelp
    • By deskhelp 22nd Feb 17, 7:07 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    deskhelp
    • 22nd Feb 17, 7:07 AM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 7:07 AM
    some good ecommerce options are Magento, zencart, prestashop this can be an easy way to start ecommerce store right away.
    • jeanericblass
    • By jeanericblass 12th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jeanericblass
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    Hi @misterthrifty well this is very nice know that you are doing business with ebay about that i really not know anything, so if you help me to understand it's procedure then it will be great, however i have created a drop-shipping store in shopify where i added many nursing related products from aliexpress so if you need any help about this procedure then you can ask me further more for a very helpful tutorial video & articles i will suggest to check withintheflow.com from where i learnt alot of things.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

1,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin