Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wolfers
    • By wolfers 3rd Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    • 238Posts
    • 198Thanks
    wolfers
    ScottishPower Power Up -- huge rip-off
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    ScottishPower Power Up -- huge rip-off 3rd Feb 17 at 10:28 AM
    Because I'm an idiot I decided to switch my ScottishPower tariff to their new Power Up scheme. I did a Google search beforehand but couldn't find any user reviews. Hopefully people in the future will find this thread. (The app which you have to use does have reviews. Suspiciously they are all five star reviews and sound like the kind of review you'd make up if your boss told you to.)

So ... what's my complaint? Well, despite claims that the pricing will always be their most competitive, it's actually hugely more expensive. Don't take my word for it: here's their actual figures they sent to me once I'd actually signed up.

Last edited by wolfers; 03-02-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 3rd Feb 17, 10:33 AM
    • 9,720 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:33 AM
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:33 AM
    Do you mean you could not see tariff prices before signing up ??
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 3rd Feb 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3rd Feb 17, 10:40 AM
    Because I'm an idiot I decided to switch my ScottishPower tariff to their new Power Up scheme. I did a Google search beforehand but couldn't find any user reviews. Hopefully people in the future will find this thread. (The app which you have to use does have reviews. Suspiciously they are all five star reviews and sound like the kind of review you'd make up if your boss told you to.)

So ... what's my complaint? Well, despite claims that the pricing will always be their most competitive, it's actually hugely more expensive. Don't take my word for it: here's their actual figures they sent to me once I'd actually signed up.

Originally posted by wolfers
    Not sure what your complaint really is?
    That your energy this year will cost more than it cost last year?
    Yes, energy prices have risen
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 3rd Feb 17, 12:40 PM
    • 7,084 Posts
    • 5,476 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 3rd Feb 17, 12:40 PM
    • 3rd Feb 17, 12:40 PM
    Once again a rip off thread which shows it isn't.

It's a tarriff, one amongst hundreds. My new SP tarriff was more than I paid last year, so I moved!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Feb 17, 12:46 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Feb 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3rd Feb 17, 12:46 PM
    The really depressing thing at the moment is that I suspect a lot of our poorer citizens are seeing the value of their Warm Home Discount wiped off in just one tariff change. Yes, prices have risen - particularly, for electricity where Economic, Climate and Social costs have risen by a factor of 5 in 6 years. I don't hear many MPs making any fuss at all about this massive hike.
    • wolfers
    • By wolfers 4th Feb 17, 1:04 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    wolfers
    • 4th Feb 17, 1:04 AM
    • 4th Feb 17, 1:04 AM
    My previous tariff was the one I could have stayed on till November. The Power Up tariff is billed as being based on their most competitive prices. By switching I'd be paying about £150 a year more (based on monthly payments) than I would have paid if I'd stuck with the existing tariff for another 10 months.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 4th Feb 17, 3:33 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 4th Feb 17, 3:33 AM
    • 4th Feb 17, 3:33 AM
    If you search hard enough, their PU tariffs are available to download as a pdf. Cannot find the link now, but I do have the pdfs of their tariffs.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 4th Feb 17, 6:35 AM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 27,559 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 4th Feb 17, 6:35 AM
    • 4th Feb 17, 6:35 AM
    Thank goodness I switched last October to their December 18 beat beast cancer fixed. My toes are scorching this morning.
    I sold my only pop sock
    for a smell of your cheap perfume Filled with hope of tears gone by
  • archived user
    • 4th Feb 17, 8:25 AM
    • 4th Feb 17, 8:25 AM
    Most of us on fixed deals from last year are facing up to 20% hikes. Scottish Power have a very good tariff , the March 2018 fix which is offering not far off the cheapest gas in the UK. They have the choice of three different fixes depending on your usage with different standing charges and rates. For the first time in years I ve been recommending this Scottish Power new tariff.The OP can easily switch to one of these one year fixes exit free. I just hope they have got their appalling customer service record sorted out.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 4th Feb 17, 6:01 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    I did a Google search beforehand but couldn't find any user reviews. Hopefully people in the future will find this thread.
    Originally posted by wolfers
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5527794&page=2&highlight=powerup+ pincher

Post #29

At least PowerUp is cheaper than standard tariff.

It's an interesting way to shoot yourself in the foot just because you don't want to pay standing charge.
    • michaelcarpenter
    • By michaelcarpenter 2nd Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michaelcarpenter
    Good for low users
    I have just signed up to power up. I was on a fixed tariff to June 2018. Yes the unit cost is slightly more but for me this is more than compensated by no standing charge. So I will save £20 + over the year. But as previous posts have said it is not necessarily cheaper so do your own calculations first. My annual usage is probably nearer £300.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 2nd Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I have just signed up to power up. I was on a fixed tariff to June 2018. Yes the unit cost is slightly more but for me this is more than compensated by no standing charge. So I will save £20 + over the year. But as previous posts have said it is not necessarily cheaper so do your own calculations first. My annual usage is probably nearer £300.
    Originally posted by michaelcarpenter
    Snap!

I'm moving home at the end of October and changing from Electricity only to dual fuel electricity and gas. Lack of a standing charge is what attracts me. I'm on their April 2018 Fixed at this time. Currently for electricity only I pay £15 by direct debit every month so I'm a low user and their quote for dual fuel is £60 a month by direct debit to start with pending adjustments as the account progresses and my gas consumption becomes known. I think that monthly payment is too much and I would benefit with power up.

The only calculation available at this time is that based on my electricity consumption only Power Up will cost £8 a year more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,941Posts Today

5,649Users online

Martin's Twitter