Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 2nd Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    • 323Posts
    • 1,872Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    2017 - my frugal year
    • 2nd Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    2017 - my frugal year 2nd Feb 17 at 7:07 PM
    Hello all! I was clogging up the debt free wannabe section so I've headed over here to start a diary so I can stay motivated to clear my debt and start some real savings.
    I've been in teaching 7 years and never managed to save anything. I was never in terrible debt but it did creep up to £800 in 2016. I had my LBM (luckily) before it got too bad - I realised I'd started to use the credit card to pay for stuff I wanted but couldn't afford. Cc debt now down to £130. Won't be going up again.
    I have big plans and since Oct 2016 I've been monitoring my spending closely and had a few realisations. I'm far too generous, mainly! So I've cut back on all non essential spending.
    I'm also tryng to slim down for my wedding in April - 8 kilos gone so far (about a stone).
    Both debt- busting and fat-busting are going really well.
    If you pop by for a read, do say hello - it's so motivating to know people are cheering you on!
Page 3
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 28th Feb 17, 8:44 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Hello
    Just wanted to pop in and say that I've really enjoyed reading your thread and have subscribed. So exciting to be planning a wedding, but I bet you can't wait until the whole thing is over. Best of luck with your journey.
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak
    Glad you've enjoyed it! Let's see where it goes, shall we...
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 28th Feb 17, 8:45 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Well done for the weight loss - amazing! And I was also shocked to learn it is now nearly March - where has this year gone?
    You sound super motivated for the next month!
    Originally posted by StartingAfresh

Thanks for your support!
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 1st Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Well! Day 1 of March and an NSD. Went in to Internet banking to check what's gone out already. No shocks as I'm much more aware of when stuff goes out now.

I've transferred my budgets for meals out/ sport etc to a separate account and some across to 'shallow' savings. I'll see how much of this I need to spend before the end of the month.

This month I'm not going to buy any clothes (really, really) as I have my lovely charity shop hauls from the previous two months. I also have very little I still need to spend on wedding -related things. I think just the crackers for the cheese wedding cake this month. April will be a different story (make-up artist final £80, £250 DJ, transport, drinks) so I'm going to have to look carefully at my budgets that month and possibly save a bit less into my ISA and my son's savings. I'll still max my 5% savings account (£300 pm currently going in there).

Little man has a severe bout of gastroenteritis so I'm tied to home tonight, haven't gone to training but asked my personal trainer to do Saturday morning instead. So that will be am hour training and an hour yoga on Saturday... Eep.

Hope everyone is having a good week..
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 3rd Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    2 NSDs achieved this week. Would have been more except I had to get stuff for the little man as gastroenteritis saga continues - I basically bought any food that I thought might tempt him to eat something.

So, money wise only small spends and nothing selfish. The week-end looms, I have a yoga session (doesn't affect an NSD) and a run (free!) planned. Nothing apart from that as I have no idea if little one will be better or not.

Wishing all a great weekend of money saving-ness. Ooh and as a side note - this evening my 4 year old looked at the adverts on TV and said ' why are you showing us sofas!? We don't want to spend our money on sofas! They're too expensive! Stupid advert! ' - train 'em young!!!
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 4th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Aaaand just when you have all your budgets set, the shower breaks! I phoned the people who installed it and they said it should be under warranty. Won't be fixed until end of next week, so I'd better do a very deep clean of the bath as it's seen unspeakable things this week due to gastroenteritis -4 year old too weak to sit on the toilet so the potty came into use...
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 5th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    A good weekend - yesterday managed to keep spends to petrol + yoga so I'm calling that an NSD. Today we went to the soft play place we have an annual pass for (payed monthly by DD) but we had an extra adult and also got coffees. I've tried taking my own drink but it's not technically allowed and OH is too embarrassed.
    I tried talking to oh about money when I had him captive in the car... he isn't very interested in it all (despite being very good with money in the 12 years we've been together). He seemed happy with my saving plans. I explained that I have boosting my pension and overpaying on the mortgage in mind. These things won't be able to happen till he is back at work but I'm so glad I started my good financial habits before then as I think it is all too easy to say ' when my pay increases I'll...' I should know as that's what I've done for 6 years previously.
    This month is a tight one but I've done the figures and if we have weekends like this one it is totally doable. I'm glad that at this point in my debt free journey the money I'm not spending each month really is going into savings and not paying some past thing off on the cc.
    On the plus side, I had forgotten child benefit payment and if I can carry on being good then there's no reason I can't stash it away for next month and the wedding! Absolutely crazy how quickly that has come round!
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 5th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Positives this week:
    A cheap weekend
    Payday came and went without the urge to splurge
    'Enveloping' seems to work - putting money in envelopes for certain things (eg. Yoga)
    Son a lot better today
    2 runs, 1 swim and yoga done (no personal training this week as son very ill and OH overwhelmed)
    Nearly at my target weight (67kg - currently 68.1kg - tantalisingly close!)
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 5th Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Great positives! And so close to goal weight
    Have an awesome week!!
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $3749.35 / $10,000
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 5th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Great positives! And so close to goal weight
    Have an awesome week!!
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak

Thanks you! You too
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 6th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    OnePoll surveys to date : £9.10 - when I get paid a out at £40 I think I'm going to get some new trainers.
    Did some online banking and had a look at budgets:

£20/ £20 left in restaurant budget
    £14/20 in cafe budget
    £160/ £200 in wedding budget
    £10/ £10 in presents budget (mothers day)
    £20/ £20 in 'fun days out with the boys' budget
    Sports spends are on track
    Not much budgeting for anything else- so no other spending allowed

Bunkering down for a 5 NSD week - could even make 6 in a few if OH buys supper for our guests on Saturday...
    Sunday is Hen do #1 - a relaxed Sunday lunch out that I'm really looking forward to with my 'baby buddies'
    Last edited by SkintTeacher; 06-03-2017 at 8:03 PM.
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 10th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    up to 7 NSDs in March
    Have managed training, a swim and have 2 runs and yoga planned before the week is out.
    Weight loss has stopped but I'm assuming that, as I'm eating really healthily and exercising lots this may be due to fat converting to muscle.
    Enjoying my 3rd frugal month of 2017 and especially the way this diary has helped me think about money in the run up to my wedding. Afterwards, it'll be so much easier to save as I can see I still have money spare each month even with a hefty budget for the wedding.
    Things to consider :
    No summer holiday booked yet - we want to 'glamp' and I'll have to book it after the wedding
    Savings funds are going well but the car needs a new fan belt - save specifically? Or use savings already built up?
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 17th Apr 17, 11:43 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Well! What a long time it has been!

This month has been ridiculously busy and I'm just coming down off the high of my wedding - it was so amazing.

Money and weight goals are going really well. I'm now over 2 stone lighter than when I started this diary. I'm not scrabbling around for money at the end of each month and I have a handle on my 'guilt' spending - if it's within the money for the month, why feel guilty once I've done my saving?

On that note, I'm on track with my savings and even managed to put a little extra aside in March. This month I'm focusing on enjoying time with my family so I'm putting away all the generous gifts of money from family and friends into my ISA but keeping some money to make sure I can be out and about with my sister who I see far too rarely.

This all sounds too perfect and I'm sure there'll be blips but I'm just checking in to enjoy the moment and look at how far I've come in such a short space of time. My friends are all amazed at my physical transformation but little do they know what's happened in my bank accounts! Thanks for all the support to everyone who's commented on here

Skint Teacher x
    • DrSqueeze
    • By DrSqueeze 14th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    DrSqueeze
    Well done!

I'm sure other people can look back over this thread and pick up some good ideas for their own plans too.
    I am not authorised to give advice. Comments I post should only be viewed as personal opinions and suggestions.

2017 £2 Savers Club. Target = £200. Current: £56

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,362Posts Today

9,154Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin