Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheFreeWife
    • By TheFreeWife 1st Feb 17, 8:25 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 69Thanks
    TheFreeWife
    A Balancing Act
    • 1st Feb 17, 8:25 PM
    A Balancing Act 1st Feb 17 at 8:25 PM
    SUMMARY

Debt
    • Residential Mortgage: £1413.07 £868.23
    • Buy to Let Mortgage: £72,349.60
    • Family Debt: £8500 £8000
    • Credit Card Stooze: £7,659.48 £7,475.05

Savings
    • Renovations: £11,200
    • Family Debt O/P: £830

Goals
    • Pay off residential mortgage in 2017
    • Start to pay down stooze
    • Pay off family debt a year early in 2018
    • Start to save towards BTL mortgage repayment
    Last edited by TheFreeWife; 01-04-2017 at 3:46 PM.
Page 2
    • TheFreeWife
    • By TheFreeWife 5th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    TheFreeWife
    A couple of things I forgot to mention due to being so busy recently with DH being off work...

£250 paid off the mortgage thanks to £200 'refer a friend' bonus from Nationwide and £50 home insurance cashback from Halifax that we took out back in October. I'm hopeful that another £200 from Nationwide will be coming our way, won't find out until about the 20th though.

£39.11 earnt in interest so far in March, definitely an improvement on February. All the new account setting up is starting to pay off. There should be another £22+ added when Tesco pays out towards the end of the month. Missed out on a payment from TSB due to them not setting the account up as paperless even though we requested it, bit annoying but it's not the end of the world. I've sorted it now so we should see some interest in April.
    • TheFreeWife
    • By TheFreeWife 7th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    TheFreeWife
    MARCH AIMS

Finances
    • Sort landlord insurance
    • List 23 items for sale
    • Ring Tesco about merging online accounts
    • Look into new mobile contact for Mum
    • Sort access to DH's accounts
    • Look into savings options for Mum

Health
    • Work up towards walking 5km per day
    • Start eating a more varied breakfast
    • Purchase new frying pans for SW pancakes
    • Start batch cooking again
    • Meal plan for lunches
    • Cut down on sugar intake
    • Book opticians appointment

Renovations
    • Research new kitchen floor
    • Arrange quotes for new loft ladder
    • Order one thing needed for each room of the house
    • Write lists of jobs to do in each room

Travel
    • Start researching budget options for a New York trip on our wedding anniversary in May Booked! 12/03
    • Start planning out Kent trip in June
    • Purchase annual travel insurance Purchased 14/03
    Last edited by TheFreeWife; 14-03-2017 at 1:16 PM.
    • TheFreeWife
    • By TheFreeWife 13th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    TheFreeWife
    Well New York is booked! 6 days in May, not quite over our anniversary as it didn't work out flight wise with something else we had booked, but we can celebrate just as much once we're there.

Holiday budget will definitely be blown this year - the £1800 we saved last year will definitely all go towards New York, with trips to Kent & London later in the year still to pay for. Hopefully it can be covered with money from our recreation fund though, without dipping into what I'd been putting aside to pay off the family debt early too much.

Part of me is a bit frustrated at having to pay out so much when it wasn't planned - the original idea being to go to New York for the first time the year DH turns 40 at which point we'd have a much larger budget. But DH doesn't want to wait that long & I think he feels that now he's been promoted 'we have the money' so we should do something with it. He's not wrong. The whole point of this diary is to try & keep things in balance after all.

Booked so far: Thomas Cook flights (£290 each) & Brooklyn hotel (£1075!). ESTAS are done, travel insurance is up next. Then we need to decide which touristy things we're doing (not much, mainly concentrating on the free!) and put aside money for a metro pass. If cashback comes through I'll claw another £100 back. The main cost has been the hotel, but when you're choosing between paying around £150 for a hostel/crappy hotel and paying twenty quid more a night for a better one the latter option seemed to be the way to go. I'm sure we could have done it cheaper, but hopefully it will be worth it.
    • TheFreeWife
    • By TheFreeWife 17th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    TheFreeWife
    Exciting news! Our mortgage is now less than £1000!

£200 landed in our account this morning from Nationwide, the second stage of referring each other for switching accounts. I wasn't entirely sure it was going to work twice, but I must say it's been a welcome £400 for not very much effort at all! Two unused current accounts closed in the process too which is just an added bonus.

So with £876 to go it's become very tempting to just get shot of it. We have the money; in fact it's currently sitting somewhere earning not quite the same interest as the mortgage is charging us. 0.34% less to be precise. However, sticking with my current policy of only overpaying with 'extra' money (money gained from cashback, switching accounts, selling etc) I think now is the time to really concentrate on decluttering & see if I can pay it off that way.

It would be wonderful to do it before we jet off to New York. What a way to celebrate!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,653Posts Today

8,005Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin