Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 1st Feb 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,314Posts
    • 3,747Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    Sky and loyalty
    • 1st Feb 17, 3:04 PM
    Sky and loyalty 1st Feb 17 at 3:04 PM
    I saw this in The Guardian on line:

Sky is also launching a loyalty programme to “reward and recognise members” based on how long they have been a customer as part of its strategy to stem customer churn.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/26/sky-tv-without-dish-premier-league-rights-costs

Having been first with BSB in 1990 and then transferred to Sky following the merger, I have been a customer for 27 year years. I have always seen new customers rewarded rather than existing customers.

Sky seems to be surprised that it is losing customers as new competitors come on board. It will be interesting to see what Sky understands by the words "reward" and "recognise".
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
Page 2
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Feb 17, 6:13 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It seems Sky will let you renew your contract early now as well. I joined in September 2015 as a new customer with their variety package with box sets and HD movies with a 6 month discount. In March 2016 I received a 20% off for 10 months offer with a 12 month contract and took that. Now my 10 month offer has just ended I asked on a live chat what the new offer would be as my circumstances have genuinely changed. I got an upgrade to Sky Sports HD with a new 12 month contract for £44.40 for 10 months.

Whilst I get it's not as good a deal as I may have got if I had waited out the contract I am more than happy with this deal as it lets me watch the Warriors games.
    Originally posted by carguy143
    You should refuse those 10 month offers, as they give a false impression of the discount. I've never known them to not relent and offer the full 12 months' discount

eg 50% off for 10 months is effectively under 42% off.
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 20th Feb 17, 7:22 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    Thanks for the replies, I will give them a call to cancel and see how it goes!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 20th Feb 17, 9:16 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Tarambor
    My strategy last April after a year of everything for £40 a month was "The price is going up to £75 and don't think I'm getting value for money at that, what will you give me?" Lots of going on about football which I said I don't watch and I only have Sports for F1 and only because I was moved off a legacy deal which included it without sports and the stuff I watch on Sky can be replaced by NowTV for under a tenner a month, mentioned Netflix, BT TV. Got full price less £20 so I said I was off and I left. Month later phoned them up saying I'd had an email which said they had special offers for returning customers (a lie, no such email existed) and what was the offer. Instant opening offer of absolutely everything for £40 for 12 months.

That'll be up again in May so we'll play the whole game again no doubt or maybe not as we have a smart TV with Netflix, Amazon and NowTV and the wife is getting used to using Netflix and Amazon.
    • mwbrown
    • By mwbrown 23rd Feb 17, 7:21 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    mwbrown
    We left sky earlier this year for our tv (and managed to cancel our phone and broadband early due to the price increase!) and have to say we are paying less with virginmedia. The broadband seems more stable and quicker than skys fibre broadband.

They have emailed asked if we wanted to stay and the current offer they have have offered is 60% off for 12 months - our tv actually ends on 27/2/17 and our phone and broadband ended on the 7/2/17 (due to the price increase - we was actually in contract until May (I think) but cancelled once we got the email advising the price increase...
    • Filo25
    • By Filo25 11th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Filo25
    My discount was about to end (TV only), so rang them yesterday, surprisingly the opening offer was half price for 18 months with no contract, certainly more generous than they usually are before I've even had a meaningful haggle, they then said I would basically have that price until 2022, all very odd.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Mar 17, 2:00 AM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It looks as though they are leaning towards 18 month terms instead of 12 . People have been offered extensions and the newly advertised broadband and tv offers are for 18 months.

However, 18 month terms with a discount for just 12 are worse than the useless 12 month terms with 10 month deals.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 12th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    craigr98
    I got something through the post from Virgin media saying ONLY 12 months so it could be that Virgin acknowledge Sky going for 18 months as standard.
    • Filo25
    • By Filo25 12th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Filo25
    The odd one on mine though was that it wasn't a new contract with an 18 month tie in, I still can leave with one month's notice at any time.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    These 18 month contracts that are being offered out of the blue (rolling or fixed), are they 18 months from when they're offered (thus making it more than 18 months) or just extended from whenever you started your existing one?
    • Filo25
    • By Filo25 12th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Filo25
    Mine was 18 months of price reduction from the date of the call as I was already just on a rolling 50% off deal with 1 month's notice beforehand anyway, I just refuse to agree to any 12 or 18 month contractual commitments with them unless I need to in order to get new equipment.
    • michellej1980
    • By michellej1980 21st Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    michellej1980
    I've just been on the online chat with Sky - for 45 minutes!

I only really watch the free-to-air channels these days but I do like the Sky+ functions so I have been considering getting a Freesat+ box for a while. But each year I have been ringing up Sky and getting offered half price deals so for convenience I have stuck with them.

My current 50% deal is coming to an end so I just used the online chat to haggle. I made it clear at the beginning that I wanted a 50% discount and they told me no and offered me 10% instead. I declined. Then I was offered 15% and I declined again. Eventually I was offered 50% IF I signed up to a new minimum term of 18 months. That was okay with me as it gives me longer before I have to deal with this all again BUT they wanted to charge me a £10 admin fee to 'unlock' this offer! I said that was cheeky and that I'd like to continue with the cancellation. Then they decided to waive the admin charge. All this took over 45 minutes. I went in making it clear what I wanted so why did it take so long to get it? Ugh.

Anyway, all's well and I would recommend all Sky customers to do the same. It is probably quicker on the phone though if you are confident enough to do that. In fact, my mum planned to do that and didn't even have to speak to anyone! An automated message asked if she'd accept 50% discount, she said yes and that was it. Wishing that is what I'd done now!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've just been on the online chat with Sky - for 45 minutes!

I only really watch the free-to-air channels these days but I do like the Sky+ functions so I have been considering getting a Freesat+ box for a while. But each year I have been ringing up Sky and getting offered half price deals so for convenience I have stuck with them.

My current 50% deal is coming to an end so I just used the online chat to haggle. I made it clear at the beginning that I wanted a 50% discount and they told me no and offered me 10% instead. I declined. Then I was offered 15% and I declined again. Eventually I was offered 50% IF I signed up to a new minimum term of 18 months. That was okay with me as it gives me longer before I have to deal with this all again BUT they wanted to charge me a £10 admin fee to 'unlock' this offer! I said that was cheeky and that I'd like to continue with the cancellation. Then they decided to waive the admin charge. All this took over 45 minutes. I went in making it clear what I wanted so why did it take so long to get it? Ugh.

Anyway, all's well and I would recommend all Sky customers to do the same. It is probably quicker on the phone though if you are confident enough to do that. In fact, my mum planned to do that and didn't even have to speak to anyone! An automated message asked if she'd accept 50% discount, she said yes and that was it. Wishing that is what I'd done now!
    Originally posted by michellej1980

I tend to watch mainly the free channels, so cancelled my Sky and let it go off, at the end of a 50% off deal.

We have two Freeview boxes and a smart tv, so I was happy to stay away, but was lured back by 75% off with a £100 credit (found on My Sky, after a member pointed out the offer),paying on average ,under £6/month for Boxed Sets and Cinema.

They are very unlikely to offer this next time and I'm finding very few films to my taste, so come October, it is likely to be back to Freetime and the Freeview recorder.
    • michellej1980
    • By michellej1980 23rd Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    michellej1980
    I tend to watch mainly the free channels, so cancelled my Sky and let it go off, at the end of a 50% off deal.

We have two Freeview boxes and a smart tv, so I was happy to stay away, but was lured back by 75% off with a £100 credit (found on My Sky, after a member pointed out the offer),paying on average ,under £6/month for Boxed Sets and Cinema.

They are very unlikely to offer this next time and I'm finding very few films to my taste, so come October, it is likely to be back to Freetime and the Freeview recorder.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I'm wondering now whether to call them to say I've changed my mind and see what happens...
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I'm wondering now whether to call them to say I've changed my mind and see what happens...
    Originally posted by michellej1980
    If you've already agreed to the minimum 18 month contract then I believe there is no cooling off period for existing customers.

Edit: That said, they will inevitably raise their prices at some point giving you a new bargaining point.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If you've already agreed to the minimum 18 month contract then I believe there is no cooling off period for existing customers.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

I thought that was the case, but a few, in recent months, have claimed to be allowed a cooling off period after accepting a re-contract.

However,this could be similar to the false offers of being able to negotiate after 10 months when the offer ends on a 12 month contract, but people finding that they can't negotiate (as one would expect the case to be).
    Last edited by teddysmum; 23-03-2017 at 2:19 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I thought that was the case, but a few, in recent months, have claimed to be allowed a cooling off period after accepting a re-contract.

However,this could be similar to the false offers of being able to negotiate after 10 months when the offer ends on a 12 month contract, but people finding that they can't negotiate (as one would expect the case to be).
    Oh, they can negotiate after the 10 months is up, they just won't get any sort of offer that anyone should accept.
    • michellej1980
    • By michellej1980 23rd Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    michellej1980

Pretty sure I do have a cooling-off period according to what I was told and the confusing Ts & Cs I was sent. However, I think I'd be pushing my luck and if I get offered nothing and then try and 'un-cancel' I might not be offered the 50% discount again.
    • mouse10
    • By mouse10 24th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mouse10
    Sky HD Deal
    I cancelled a couple of months ago and have signed up today for the box set HD package. After a bit of negotiation I got 75% off making it £9.50 a month and £100 credit on a 12 month contract. Makes it £14 for a year which my sort of price!
    They offered me the original package on a rolling monthly contract, 60% off and £57 credit, making it 6 months free.
    When I tried in January I was told they had stopped doing credits, so things must have changed.
    Charles J
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,149Users online

Martin's Twitter