Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peggy0628
    • By Peggy0628 29th Jan 17, 9:57 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Peggy0628
    Refund for incorrect passport application
    • 29th Jan 17, 9:57 PM
    Refund for incorrect passport application 29th Jan 17 at 9:57 PM
    Was trying to renew passport online but got confused and accidentally clicked on 'apply for first adult passport' instead of a renewal. Noticed the mistake only after I entered credir card details and confirmed payment.
    Is there a way to cancel this incorrect application and get a refund of the fees already paid (it's £75.50)? Need the passport but can't afford to pay for it twice...
    Tried calling the CC company immediately after noticing the mistake but they said they can't stop the payment
    Is there a way to get the money back? Thanks for help!
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 29th Jan 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 29th Jan 17, 10:01 PM
    • 29th Jan 17, 10:01 PM
    You could contact the passport office and see if they can refund you and cancel the application or if there's some way they can transfer the payment.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 29th Jan 17, 10:30 PM
    • 30,264 Posts
    • 19,144 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 29th Jan 17, 10:30 PM
    • 29th Jan 17, 10:30 PM
    Phoning them is the most obvious solution. If that dont work then dont know what other option you have.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Peggy0628
    • By Peggy0628 29th Jan 17, 11:16 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Peggy0628
    • 29th Jan 17, 11:16 PM
    • 29th Jan 17, 11:16 PM
    That's what I was thinking but I did some search and found this (see below) and it worries me now. All I did was tick a wrong box on one page and it took me from 'renewal' to 'apply for 1st passport' without me realizing untill in was too late. The website clearly is not as fool-proof as it should be... I won't be able to contact the passport people untill Monday afternoon, I hope it won't be too late.

Refund of fees
    IPS no longer refunds fees for unsuccessful and withdrawn applications. This
    was prompted by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) amendment
    of the definition of the Consular Fee Order (CFO). The CFO definition was
    amended to charge customers for administering the passport application,
    rather than for issuing a passport, and this took effect from the 1st of May
    This means that the fees for passport applications made in the UK and
    overseas after 01/05/2008 are non-refundable in the event that the application
    is unsuccessful or withdrawn. It applies to all forms of passport applications:
    first time applications, renewals, replacements...
    • Valli
    • By Valli 30th Jan 17, 8:48 AM
    • 20,123 Posts
    • 228,593 Thanks
    Valli
    • 30th Jan 17, 8:48 AM
    • 30th Jan 17, 8:48 AM
    Which website did you use? Adult passports are £72.50.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 30th Jan 17, 9:00 AM
    • 9,579 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 30th Jan 17, 9:00 AM
    • 30th Jan 17, 9:00 AM
    Which website did you use? Adult passports are £72.50.
    Originally posted by Valli
    You can also opt to pay an extra £3 to get any documents that you had to provided returned by secure post.
    If this is what the OP chose then it would explain the £75.50
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 30th Jan 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 30th Jan 17, 10:11 AM
    • 30th Jan 17, 10:11 AM
    That's what I was thinking but I did some search and found this (see below) and it worries me now. All I did was tick a wrong box on one page and it took me from 'renewal' to 'apply for 1st passport' without me realizing untill in was too late. The website clearly is not as fool-proof as it should be... I won't be able to contact the passport people untill Monday afternoon, I hope it won't be too late.

Refund of fees
    IPS no longer refunds fees for unsuccessful and withdrawn applications. This
    was prompted by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) amendment
    of the definition of the Consular Fee Order (CFO). The CFO definition was
    amended to charge customers for administering the passport application,
    rather than for issuing a passport, and this took effect from the 1st of May
    This means that the fees for passport applications made in the UK and
    overseas after 01/05/2008 are non-refundable in the event that the application
    is unsuccessful or withdrawn. It applies to all forms of passport applications:
    first time applications, renewals, replacements...
    Originally posted by Peggy0628
    Can't hurt calling them to check. But if that is their policy and you are essentially withdrawing the application due to your own error then it might be there isn't anything you can do.
    • dsdhall
    • By dsdhall 31st Jan 17, 12:13 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    dsdhall
    • 31st Jan 17, 12:13 AM
    • 31st Jan 17, 12:13 AM
    Just write a covering letter explaining your mistake. They won't charge you twice.

Source: Been there, done that.
    • photome
    • By photome 31st Jan 17, 6:57 AM
    • 12,769 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    photome
    • 31st Jan 17, 6:57 AM
    • 31st Jan 17, 6:57 AM
    What did they say when you called them
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 31st Jan 17, 10:08 AM
    • 18,537 Posts
    • 14,258 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Just write a covering letter explaining your mistake. They won't charge you twice.

Source: Been there, done that.
    Originally posted by dsdhall
    It might work, but they are processing applications within a few days just now (source: just renewed mine) so by the time a letter arrives they may have already dealt with the OP's request. I think ringing them up would have a better chance of sorting things out before they get too far down the line.
    • dsdhall
    • By dsdhall 31st Jan 17, 1:13 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    dsdhall
    If OP has filled out an application for a new passport online, at the end of process it will produce a pre-filled form for download. That'll require signing and countersigning by a third person along with a couple of photos. The covering letter should accompany that.

I agree that a phone call to the passport office would be the right first course of action, but they (should) then tell the OP to write a covering letter accompanying the application explaining the error they made.
    • nalank1234
    • By nalank1234 8th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nalank1234
    Same situation -what happen?
    Hi,

I am facing the same situation- applied for the wrong passport application and also applied for the right one so I paid twice.

What happen with yours? were you able to get a refund?

Thanks
    • nicjp2017
    • By nicjp2017 31st Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nicjp2017
    passport fee refund?
    Is there any way to reclaim passport fees? I've read the GOV pdf where they say new law says they no longer refund , yet had I known I didn't need to apply for a new passport after getting married as my current passport had only just been renewed 6 months earlier, I wouldn't have. I applied online on Fri evening and rang 8am when the office opened this morning (mon) to be told no .. Yet my application hasn't been started as I've not sent any documents?
    I'm disgusted that they say they keep the £72 fee for admin they've done nothing!
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 1st Aug 17, 3:12 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 5,824 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    I would have thought that what would happen in the op's scenario is that the passport would get rejected in some form and they would be invited to apply again using the same fees, the same as if you'd have filled a part in wrong. Someone told me their's had been sent back umpteen times and I don't believe for one second she paid more than once.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    • CM66
    • By CM66 1st Aug 17, 4:36 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    CM66
    Is there any way to reclaim passport fees? I've read the GOV pdf where they say new law says they no longer refund , yet had I known I didn't need to apply for a new passport after getting married as my current passport had only just been renewed 6 months earlier, I wouldn't have. I applied online on Fri evening and rang 8am when the office opened this morning (mon) to be told no .. Yet my application hasn't been started as I've not sent any documents?
    I'm disgusted that they say they keep the £72 fee for admin they've done nothing!
    Originally posted by nicjp2017

Its not a new law, you have never needed a new passport when you get married, you just have to make sure you book all travel in same name that is on the passport.

You should have checked that before you applied, its not their fault!
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 1st Aug 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 3,894 Thanks
    George Michael
    I've read the GOV pdf where they say new law says they no longer refund
    Originally posted by nicjp2017
    They haven't refunded since May 2008 so it's far from being a new thing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,436Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin