Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motivated
    • By motivated 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,183Posts
    • 2,999Thanks
    motivated
    Debt Demolisher
    • 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    Debt Demolisher 28th Jan 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi MSE ers

Have plucked up the courage to admit that I cannot cope financially.

Long story short. We are £82,590 in Credit card and Loan debt basically spent on nothing but shopping, holidays, clothes and household things.

We are not in arrears or any CCJs at present but fear this will not last.

I completed the step change debt remedy tool thing today and it advised me to ring them on Monday Petrified at the thought of phone calls, bailiffs at my door and threatening letters etc. I don't even know what to expect about the process etc.

What do I have to show for it all NOTHING

So angry with myself but I do feel a little easier as it seems I have woken up and am willing to face it all, pay it all off and remove a lot of the stress I have every month.

Myself and My OH both work and are both willing to pull together to sort this sorry mess out. I am hoping that keeping a diary and soaking up some excellent tips and advice will see us through to the end.

I have seen some excellent advice and encouragement given on here and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the advice and diaries.

One day I will be advising others (I hope)

Please be gentle with me
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 30-05-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Page 7
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 13th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    My mum has Restless Leg. It looks like a right pain, I hope I don't get it.

You've reminded me, Ocado send me a weekly email, with a £20 voucher. Please let me know what they're like.

Did you ring SC today?
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 13th Mar 17, 10:36 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,305 Thanks
    Bobarella
    The leg thing sounds really unpleasant, poor you. Is there any herbal remedies you can take for that?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Mar 17, 4:59 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 7,072 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    DH gets restless legs when he is 'overtired' (that makes him sound like a baby!) or he's done loads and loads of walking. Drives me bananas when he gets it, I don't even pretend to be sympathetic.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: ££55,243.13/1st April 2025
    • motivated
    • By motivated 14th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    My mum has Restless Leg. It looks like a right pain, I hope I don't get it.

You've reminded me, Ocado send me a weekly email, with a £20 voucher. Please let me know what they're like.

Did you ring SC today?
    Originally posted by boxofpaws
    It's very annoying once it starts. I usually have to get up and walk around.
    My shopping is due around 4.30 today. I won't be home but DH will be. Hopefully he has put it all away before I get home . Sneaky eh.

I sent SC a message through my online DMP. By the time I remembered they were closed. If I don't hear from them I will definitely ring them

The leg thing sounds really unpleasant, poor you. Is there any herbal remedies you can take for that?
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    I will have a look online when I get some free time today. It can't hurt to try it can it? I googled it too, wish I never according to the web I need my legs amputated and I have 24 hours to live Note to self . Never google ailments

DH gets restless legs when he is 'overtired' (that makes him sound like a baby!) or he's done loads and loads of walking. Drives me bananas when he gets it, I don't even pretend to be sympathetic.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    My DH has no sympathy either he says I keep him awake. Oh but it's ok when he snores
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
    Short term goal £410/£1796

Weight loss 5/24lb

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Mar 17, 6:37 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Just caught up on your diary , you are doing really well. I remember feeling the same when I changed my bank account at the start of my DMP years ago . Once the money has gone in your new account you will be able to go forward, hopefully not taking 107 years! .
    I get restless legs at night , I always have to get up and move about , I still haven't found the magic cure.
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3659 CC 2 £1063.50 Emergency Fund £1200

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • motivated
    • By motivated 14th Mar 17, 6:41 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    Just caught up on your diary , you are doing really well. I remember feeling the same when I changed my bank account at the start of my DMP years ago . Once the money has gone in your new account you will be able to go forward, hopefully not taking 107 years! .
    I get restless legs at night , I always have to get up and move about , I still haven't found the magic cure.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    107 years it makes me smile just the thought of it.

I actually slept really well last night. Set the alarm, got into bed, next thing the alarms going off. Never woke up once

Payday tomorrow and I am anxious about my wages. But DHs wages have been going in the night before so maybe it will be sitting there in my new account tonight. Here's hoping
    M

Weight loss 5/24lb

• Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 14th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Glad you had a good nights sleep! Hope everything goes ok with your wages.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 14th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    Glad you had a good nights sleep! Hope everything goes ok with your wages.
    Originally posted by Macey1510

Hi Macey I hope so too. I was frightened to ask someone to check at work I don't like keep getting my head bitten off, I need it too much
    M

Weight loss 5/24lb

• motivated
    • By motivated 14th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    Panic over

Just checked my bank and my wages are sitting there phew. Our new account seems to show the wages the evening before it seems. DHs wages also shows early. At least I can sleep now. Although I would have had my DDs going out from my old account in the morning. The loans I had were with this bank also. Halifax is going to be like with me tomorrow. I have cancelled all DDs so they would have been aware that something wasn't right I'm sure. I would imagine they have heard from SC by now so will wait for any correspondence from them.

I am so relieved that now I know we are truly up and running. Well jogging at least

I have transferred the money I need for my 1st SC payment on the 1st into one of my savings accounts and will transfer it back in time for the DD. I only keep the minimum amount we need in the bank account and only top up the debit card if and when we need to buy anything. This is a great idea having 2 separate cards. It helps us keep in control of the finances easier.

My Ocado shopping arrived I had no substitutes and everything has a long use by date on it. Very pleased with it so no complaints from me. I also slept like a baby last night hopefully another restful night is on the cards
    M

Weight loss 5/24lb

• Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Mar 17, 4:48 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 7,072 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Oh that's such great news! You are off and running (or jogging, as you say). I hope you enjoy knowing that everything is moving forwards.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 15th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    I'm really pleased for you... I could feel your nervousness about wages day.Phew!! weight off your shoulders...enjoy the rest of the week now
    365 day penny challenge - £90.00/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £540.00/£1000 Stage 1
    • motivated
    • By motivated 15th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    Oh that's such great news! You are off and running (or jogging, as you say). I hope you enjoy knowing that everything is moving forwards.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    Thankyou TOPM.
    I am actually enjoying myself so far
    I'm really pleased for you... I could feel your nervousness about wages day.Phew!! weight off your shoulders...enjoy the rest of the week now
    Originally posted by foxyloxy11
    Thankyou foxy
    It feels like a big weight has been lifted

Whenever I logged in to this site a while ago I would head straight for the CC thread, looking for the best tips to move money around. Also reading regularly the DFW thread and the debt fee diaries looking for inspiration, promising myself that this will be the year that I finally sort our finances out and get us back on our feet. More and more reading later constantly on about money and saving every spare penny to put towards the dreaded CCs and loans. The debt got worse, interest started to kick in,the minimum payments were going up, the stress levels were going up, our life in general was pants.

On to today .
    Although we are literally just at the starting post things are soooooo much different now. I haven't even looked on the CC thread and not even been tempted to.
    (not that I have any working cards now anyway)
    I have my first DMP payment ready and waiting and I am not stressed at all about what the creditors will say or do. I have been budgeting and thinking ahead.

I don't expect it all to be plain sailing and am expecting some small bumps in the road but I will be ready and waiting. All thanks to this wonderful site that saved us from ourselves. The advice I have received on the DMP thread is priceless. It's what got us to where we are at the moment. Actually dealing with our debt,paying it off and being able to live a fairly normal life (whatever normal is)

Thankyou all for your support and encouragement it means so much

Feeling very
    M

Weight loss 5/24lb

• Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 7,072 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    What a great post to read. Go you!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,305 Thanks
    Bobarella
    You sound so happy, it's great!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 15th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    Hi, just caught up on your diary and thought (especially since we're DMP-start-date-twins now) I'd follow and cheer you on!
    I was so nervous when I set up my basic bank account (I actually applied online for a different one and was rejected and given a basic automatically which was a bit scary) and although all my direct debits, wages, etc transferred well, my Dad still insists on giving me gift money into my "living in the overdraft" account which I don't use at all now, other than to pay it off. So frustrating!
    LBM: October 2016: £20,130 / Current: July 2017: £18,475 8.2%
    DFD: February 2024
    SPC#577
    EF#237 9%
    • Lumanous
    • By Lumanous 16th Mar 17, 12:29 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Lumanous
    Newly subscribed to your thread & just a quick check in. Glad to see you have started your journey and so glad you have support

LOVING your positivity much luck to you

No, my username is not a typo
    • motivated
    • By motivated 16th Mar 17, 6:04 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    You sound so happy, it's great!
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Hi Bob. I thinks it's more relief that the pressure has been lifted to be honest. Long may it continue

Hi, just caught up on your diary and thought (especially since we're DMP-start-date-twins now) I'd follow and cheer you on!
    I was so nervous when I set up my basic bank account (I actually applied online for a different one and was rejected and given a basic automatically which was a bit scary) and although all my direct debits, wages, etc transferred well, my Dad still insists on giving me gift money into my "living in the overdraft" account which I don't use at all now, other than to pay it off. So frustrating!
    Originally posted by DancingUnicorn
    Hi DU. Overdrafts arggghhhh. They can be helpful but can also be an absolute pain. Hopefully you will be rid of it very soon

Newly subscribed to your thread & just a quick check in. Glad to see you have started your journey and so glad you have support

LOVING your positivity much luck to you
    Originally posted by Ms.Dita
    Hi Ms Dita thanks for popping in. My mood has changed dramatically since I accepted I needed to do something and had my true LBM

I even catch myself singing at work ( badly too but I don't care)
    M

Weight loss 5/24lb

• dottydebts
    • By dottydebts 16th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    dottydebts
    So glad your wages went into the right account! Sounds like everything is off to a good start

Great news on ocado too! I may have to have a look if they're planning on giving me £20......
    18.02.17 - £4,040.19 18.03.17 - £3686.19
    18.04.17 - TBA

• motivated
    • By motivated 16th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    So glad your wages went into the right account! Sounds like everything is off to a good start

Great news on ocado too! I may have to have a look if they're planning on giving me £20......
    Originally posted by dottydebts

Hi dotty
    Wages went in without a hitch, such a relief. I didn't want a load of hassle if it didn't but panic over now.

As for Ocado I was shopping in about 5 supermarkets online and was putting shopping in the baskets and looking at the differences in price and value for money etc. The site was offering £20 off of an £80 shop. Anyway I didn't check out and forgot about it. I then received an email offering £20 off of a £60 shop with free delivery so a double whammy. That's better I thought and went ahead with the deal . Cheeky but very
    No complaints about the quality of the food either.
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 16-03-2017 at 7:48 PM.

Weight loss 5/24lb

• motivated
    • By motivated 16th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi all and thankyou for your ongoing support.

Have had a good day sort of, contacted both Barclaycards again today to give them our SC reference number and requesting that they stop all interest and charges from now on. I quoted lots of jargon that I picked up from the DMP support thread. I was trying to sound intelligent . Will await their replies. Hopefully soon.

Our MBNA cards have been brilliant and have already written to say they will stop all interest and charges from now on, they accept our monthly payment and have basically left us alone. Couldn't have been nicer about it to be honest.

I have just check our old bank account and noticed that interest has been added to the loans. This has now added more money to our overall total. I have updated my SC balances and on we go.

SC would have definitely been in touch with them by now and I hope to receive a letter from them very soon. Hopefully they will play ball too. If not I will be writing them one of my intelligent letters too

I am refusing to let it get me down as they can do their worst and it won't change anything but my DFD. They will still be getting the same payment every month.

My plan is to try and up my DMP payments as time goes on but for now I just need to plod along and enjoy what I do have as opposed to what I don't.

Another weekly budget to do tomorrow and we still have a little money left in the account from this weeks which I will transfer out into one of the savings accounts and start the week fresh with DHs wage in the morning .
    M

Weight loss 5/24lb

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,057Users online

Martin's Twitter