Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motivated
    • By motivated 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,510Posts
    • 4,099Thanks
    motivated
    Debt Demolisher
    • 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    Debt Demolisher 28th Jan 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi MSE ers

Have plucked up the courage to admit that I cannot cope financially.

Long story short. We are £82,590 in Credit card and Loan debt basically spent on nothing but shopping, holidays, clothes and household things.

We are not in arrears or any CCJs at present but fear this will not last.

I completed the step change debt remedy tool thing today and it advised me to ring them on Monday Petrified at the thought of phone calls, bailiffs at my door and threatening letters etc. I don't even know what to expect about the process etc.

What do I have to show for it all NOTHING

So angry with myself but I do feel a little easier as it seems I have woken up and am willing to face it all, pay it all off and remove a lot of the stress I have every month.

Myself and My OH both work and are both willing to pull together to sort this sorry mess out. I am hoping that keeping a diary and soaking up some excellent tips and advice will see us through to the end.

I have seen some excellent advice and encouragement given on here and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the advice and diaries.

One day I will be advising others (I hope)

Please be gentle with me
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 30-05-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Page 25
    • motivated
    • By motivated 7th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi diary world.

Not much happening on the debt busting front and to be honest ive not been thinking about it this weekend. I’ve been a little . I’ve got an abscess (again) Had this problem a few years back (on my boob) of all places. Ended up having an op and all has been well for a few years. Now it’s decided to flare up out the blue and it’s painful and sore. So I’m feeling sorry for myself today lol.

I’ve put some drawing cream on it and hope it helps.

DH made me a cup of tea and that’s where the sympathy ended

I googled my, symptoms something you should never do when You're ill According to Google I should’ve died weeks ago

I tend to get boils and abscesses when I’m run down, maybe I’m a bit under the weather

Had a hot bath and now just chilling with a cup of tea.

I saw 8 magpies today too. 8 for a wish. I wished I would be debt free as soon as humanly possible.
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 07-01-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    LBM £82,590 Jan 17/£79,148 Jan 18
    Short term goal £1021/£1796 / PDBX 18 # 31 - £910.43/£5,000
    52 week challenge VSP # 8 - £80.00
    SPC # 91
    / Save a penny a day 2018 # 02 - £15.00
    • EmmaMicawber
    • By EmmaMicawber 7th Jan 18, 10:24 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    EmmaMicawber
    Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Some multivitamins and zinc might help a bit if you're feeling run down?
    Eight magpies is impressive - I hope they bring you good fortune
    • motivated
    • By motivated 8th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    motivated
    Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Some multivitamins and zinc might help a bit if you're feeling run down?
    Eight magpies is impressive - I hope they bring you good fortune
    Originally posted by EmmaMicawber
    Thanks Emma

I went to the doctor who assured my I donít have what Google said I did Yes I have an abscess and got antibiotics. If it gets worse or doesnít go away I may have to have it drained No thankyou doctor been there done that lol. Anyway I feel a little easier now but have constant nagging pain. DH said Iíve had that for 30 years with you

He also survived the Dentist. Had 2 teeth removed and needs more work doing. The dentist is happy for him to pay off as he goes along so thatís a bonus I suppose. Another bill but at least we havenít got to stump it all up at once.

I am waiting for my payday which isnít till Monday but Iím getting impatient and want to pay some of my debt however small.

Absolutely freezing here today and couldnít warm up all day at work. Home now and finally warmed up with a hot water bottle and the TV remote which is a rarity as DH can not cope if heís not holding on to it. A man thing I think.
    M
    SPC # 91
    • motivated
    • By motivated 13th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    motivated
    Morning all

I can finally update as Iíve been paid and I feel like Iíve made another small progress step

DDs paid
    SOS paid
    Savings accounts topped up
    Savings tin topped up
    Rounding down accounts done

Even though some of the amounts are small, progress is progress after all

Car has been taxed for another year too

Short term goal is looking good and I plan to get this paid off by April. This will boost the funds that can be put to my next goal although I havenít decided what yet.

Grocery shopping done and put away and about to tackle the housework
    M
    SPC # 91
    • motivated
    • By motivated 13th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    motivated
    My January plan is coming together ready for the year ahead

Just sat for an hour upstairs in the quiet (DH has football on)

I bought a pack of 10 plastic folders with fasteners from Aldi for £1.99 They are seconds as the patterns are on the wrong side on some of them but who cares they were a bargain. Very and I have organised a folder for each creditor. All correspondence, balances, payment arrangements, account numbers etc in each one. Written up all current balances and monthly payments. If and when I receive any letters from them I will know exactly where to find each folder.

Have just written 2 letters to our MBNA accounts who are currently with a DCA. Payments accepted and to start February.

I’m hoping now that I will hear from Barclaycard pretty soon saying they have sold us on too. We can then set up payment plans with them also and my plan will be well and truly underway.

Feeling a lot better again as I can see this organisation paying off now and reducing the stress a bit more.

Off to buy stamps and post letters.
    M
    SPC # 91
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 13th Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Hi, I've just spent the past couple of hours or so reading through your diary, and I just couldn't walk away and not reply.
    You are an absolute inspiration! You have no idea how much you have motivated me today to get saving and debt free. Love you saving pots (something I'm going to start!) Also, love you rounding down theory! I have just done this with my online saving account-41p ha ha, (every penny counts) I've got a DD coming out tomorrow, so will round that amount down and add to it too.
    Your positivity is infectious, and your truly have made me focus today!
    I've got a shift tonight (second job) and seriously couldn't be bothered to go, but after reading your diary today you have made me want to go-after all I'll be earning money! Better than sitting, slobbing watching trash on TV. Or even worse-spending money i don't have!
    Just wanted to thank you and congratulate you on your wonderful journey so far! Keep up your positive outlook X
    • motivated
    • By motivated 13th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi, I've just spent the past couple of hours or so reading through your diary, and I just couldn't walk away and not reply.
    You are an absolute inspiration! You have no idea how much you have motivated me today to get saving and debt free. Love you saving pots (something I'm going to start!) Also, love you rounding down theory! I have just done this with my online saving account-41p ha ha, (every penny counts) I've got a DD coming out tomorrow, so will round that amount down and add to it too.
    Your positivity is infectious, and your truly have made me focus today!
    I've got a shift tonight (second job) and seriously couldn't be bothered to go, but after reading your diary today you have made me want to go-after all I'll be earning money! Better than sitting, slobbing watching trash on TV. Or even worse-spending money i don't have!
    Just wanted to thank you and congratulate you on your wonderful journey so far! Keep up your positive outlook X
    Originally posted by Debtnomoreplease
    Hi debtnomore and thanks for popping in and your nice reply. Iíd like to say itís been easy getting to this point but I canít . Weíve had tears, tantrums, meltdowns etc and thatís mainly from DH

The rounding down is infectious and it builds up really quickly too. My positivity comes from the members of the DFW thread who have advised me, supported me, encouraged me and basically told me what I needed to do.

Before you know it your 41p will be £41. You watch.

Feel free to tag along and I hope your shift tonight goes quickly and yes youíre better off at work itís pants on the tele tonight
    M
    SPC # 91
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,618Posts Today

8,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bigmickwelsh63: @MartinSLewis Already done it.... donated my kidney to my brother almost 30yrs ago. Not sure if I would have done it fo?

• Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• Follow Martin