Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 28th Jan 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,473Posts
    • 16,867Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Get a grip woman!
    • 28th Jan 17, 12:18 PM
    Get a grip woman! 28th Jan 17 at 12:18 PM
    Having been reading a number of people's debt-free wannabe diaries for some time now, I have finally decided I will start my own.

We are less than three years from wanting to stop work, and less than ten years from state retirement age. I manage our household finances and DH lets me get on with it. His attitude is more "live for today" so we are a good balance, I think. We have two holidays each year and sometimes more - and he has some boys toys - 2 Harley Davidson motorcycles in the garage, that seem to always need money spending on them. That said, there is more to be said in favour of a happy and contented DH than against them so I don't resent them in any way.

So to debts - It seems a good time because I have recently finished the finance on my car, and as of yesterday, paid off the finance for DS's car (I borrowed from him 18 months ago and paid back by buying his car on finance and paying his insurance). I was paying 4.7% on that debt so it was my highest priority. I paid it off 10 months early using most of my HSBC Regular Saver that matured this week.

The debts I have currently are:

£110,621 - Mortgage - interest rate of 0.74% (0.5 above the BoEBR)
    £3,476 - DH's car - 0% credit card until Sept 17 - a £4000 cash advance with a £76 fee
    £8,755.54 - Barclays Finance for double glazing 0% over 2 years 2/24 paid

Total £122,852.54

It isn't that I can't afford to keep up payments, it is more that I want us to start our non-work phase without them hanging over us, if you know what I mean.

I think that will do for a scene setter.

SL
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
Page 10
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 3rd Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 7,681 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    That's your *un* complacency filter

I remember Goldie Girl saying that she'd average out her grocery spends over the whole year precisely because of buying storecupboard stuff when it best suits.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I average my freezer and store cupboard spend over the month (so much per week). I like my freezer to run full as I think it is more economical and does not ice up as quickly. What I fill it with depends on how much the weekly spend on food essentials is. If I have an expensive weekly shop I buy extra loaves of bread, maybe a tub of cheap ice cream or large packs of frozen veg or chips. In a lean weekly shop I bulk buy meat or fish.

So one week I will concentrate on store cupboard stuff and the next it will be household and cleaning stuff so maybe dishwasher or washing powder or bulk buy kitchen paper/Toilet rolls. That has worked for me for years. If I could only get the OH to do the same
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 16th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 16,867 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Nightmare month from hell - part 1
    MIA for nearly a fortnight. Sorry. I knew this month and next would be really hard.

So far this month we have spent (over our normal)
    • Heating oil (500l) £198.19
    • Chimney sweep £45
    • Boiler Service £123.24 - the expansion vessel needs replacing - they will order it and call to arrange
    • Dishwasher repair £59 callout - he diagnosed it is the heating pump but that the machine is under warranty so we have to go back to the shop today. £59 spent because no checks made before calling him out. Not happy.
    • VED for the commuting car £115
    • Insurance - on the credit card for next month
    • Same car repairs and service on the credit card for next month
    • Holiday credit card (part 1) £878.32
    • Insurance premium for the cancelled policy was taken by DD and still not refunded £352.95
    • Plusnet new contract for 24 months with 12 months line rental up front and persuaded them to throw in TV, evening and weekend calls and fixed price BB for the whole 24 months £197.88

No wonder we are overdrawn on the account awaiting the insurance premium refund
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 16th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 16,867 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Credit card statements for next month are starting to look seriously scary. I refuse to stagger the payments and pay interest so we will live on rice and beans if necessary.

And the electricity bill DD has just been increased from £120 to £136 because they go by their estimates instead of my readings....
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 27,721 Posts
    • 151,475 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It's a lot going out in one month but its not exactly Mumm champagne and Beluga caviar - there's some good bargaining skills in there too, with PlusNet

Hope you can have a breather this weekend in such a busy month.
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 16,867 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Thanks KC, I was feeling happier about Plusnet - Husband did it last year and he does not push for a deal, so we were looking at £48 a month for the next six months, until the £85 penalty lapsed for the last BB deal. Watch out for out of step elements. I was moaning about that to the operator when he said, "I can do that" and on went the discussion - picking out unlimited BB, Line Rental, call packages and TV/recording box

I've just bottled a glut of pears from my friend's tree that she gave me on Friday. Waiting to go and volunteer in the Village Bar in a few minutes so pottering around on here.

Husband and cousin are clearing the split tree (last Sunday's gale). It was a beautiful variegated maple but it has had it now so just "harvesting" wood to burn next year when it has seasoned. I am sure there will be a dump-run after lunch too..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin