Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 28th Jan 17, 8:28 AM
    • 1,183Posts
    • 2,148Thanks
    snozberry
    My attempt to be a super saver
    • 28th Jan 17, 8:28 AM
    My attempt to be a super saver 28th Jan 17 at 8:28 AM
    I had no idea that this board existed!

In theory, I should be a whizz at saving money but in reality I am not. I ended last year with £2k in my savings account. For some, this is a huge amount but, for me, it isn't so great.

I have a permanent FT job and I earn £32k a year. I live with my fella but we keep separate finances (my choice) and we have a little boy. We no longer have a nursery bill to pay and I have completed paying a bank loan that I once took out when we weren't living together as I was in a bit of a pickle (I once had debts around £10k but, through a lot of hard work, I obliterated it. He doesn't know and never will). I should have learned a valuable lesson from it but I didn't.

To keep myself on the straight and narrow, I have resurrected my spending diary and I have deleted the Amaz0n app from my phone. I have also joined in with a few challenges.

At this moment in time, I have £3000 in my savings account. The interest rate is rubbish btw. I used to be really good at finding the best accounts but my confidence in pretty much everything has been zapped due to me being in the wrong place at the wrong time a year ago and there being a very nasty 'man' ... I have referred myself for CBT. I was actually good this time as when I rang this time I waited until I spoke with a real, live person. Third time lucky n all!

My goals:
    1. To find a better savings account.
    2. To find 'quick tea' recipes. I am getting sooooo bored of whipping up the same meals!
    3. Continue to declutter.

At the end of this month, I will analyse my spending diary to see where I can be a bit more savvy.
    Last edited by snozberry; 28-01-2017 at 8:35 AM.
    Save £12000 No. 96 in 2017 £4750/£6000

Page 3
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Feb 17, 7:18 PM
    • 12,563 Posts
    • 46,003 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I wish I had something left to ebay. Payday at midnight tomorrow girlies, we will be rich, even if it's just for one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Savings Fund(Nov 2017) £7000/£8000 84%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £60/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 26th Feb 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    Back to reality tomorrow. Boo!

The holidays began frugally but ended on an expensive note. My little one has had a growth spurt and I ran out of toiletries. Now, the thought of trudging around the shops looking for children's clothes with a toddler in tow just fills me with dread so I did what I always do and ordered his complete spring/summer wardrobe online and had it delivered whilst I was still off. I went via TCB and made good use of promotion codes as well. I also took him to a fab independent shoe shop (I don't take him anywhere else as I refuse to compromise his growing feet) and spent another small fortune on two new pairs of shoes.

I have battled with sensitive skin for years and I have finally found a brand that works. However, it is uber expensive so I became a consultant for it last summer to make use of the 25% discount. I stocked up on everything that has run out and have enough for the next six months.

All of this and an eye wateringly high gas bill has meant that I only have £400 to stash away this month and not £1000. It also means that I will not have a big CC bill to worry about as I immediately paid it (something I previously wouldn't have been able to do so).

I just need to eb@y his old clothes. I have four listings on there already and I am aiming for a new listing every other day until the whole lot has gone.

It was a really nice week off tbh. We did something everyday and I managed to declutter a lot - the spare room of doom looks so much better and so does my wardrobe!

Goals for next week:
    1. Not to cry!
    2. Early night every night
    3. Packed lunch EVERY day
    4. Minimal spends

I am due a refund from SLC which is half of what I have not been able to save this month and, when my cheque from Mus1c Magp1e arrives, I shall be raiding my money boxes which I am hoping will cover the other half. My money from TCB shall be the icing on the cake!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Feb 17, 7:34 PM
    • 12,563 Posts
    • 46,003 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I think you did really well. It sounds like a fab week you have done so much.

Wow fancy being one of those make up people. That's entrepreneurial.

Do not cry. I know Donald Trump is bigly ugly - just switch the telly off. Going to watch 'Shop Well for Less' .
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 26-02-2017 at 7:39 PM.
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 26th Feb 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    If someone asked me five years ago if I would become a beauty product consultant I would have laughed and laughed and laughed but NYR is really expensive and where there is a will there is a way. I don't do parties or anything like that though.

Thank-you. Only 35 more get ups until the next holibobs!!

• snozberry
    • By snozberry 27th Feb 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    First day back = NSD and a packed lunch. Go me!

Because things are so rubbish at work I just don't want to buy lunch or anything else for that matter. I just don't see the point really and I would much rather that money stayed in my bank account.

Sounds very doom and gloomy.

Tomorrow will be a spendy day as I have two birthday gifts to buy. I won't be breaking the bank though.

My Mus1c Magp1e payment arrived today via P@yP@l but I put the funds into my buffer bank account and not towards savings.

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Feb 17, 8:52 PM
    • 12,563 Posts
    • 46,003 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    We are under the threat of redundancy too. It's been going on for years at our place. Every few months valuable staff are made redundant. I am sure I am on the chopping block now!!!!

We must stay positive. Keep saving and doing things like MusicMagpi* and taking lunches to work. Life is full of happy and sad experiences but its how you deal with those experiences that builds your character and survival.

Hark at me.lol. I sound like the man out the 39 Steps. Wish I knew 20 years ago what I know now but at least we are doing the right thing now. Hugs, swxxxx
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 5th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    I actually did ok last week. Apart from Friday, I took a packed lunch or ate at home everyday and my spending was minimal - I only bought petrol, two birthday gifts and Friday's lunch.

I also bought a book. I could have bought it for £20 brand new on Amaz0n but I found a copy second hand for a penny plus postage. I also sold a few things on eb@y.

Next week will be more of the same - minimal spending. I have opened another savings account. This one is for birthday gifts and the like (buying two in one week is harsh!!!) lol

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 5th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 12,563 Posts
    • 46,003 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Omg. This is great. It is so empowering. Just think of what you saved.

I love it we are all getting smarter.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 17,642 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on the packed lunches snozberry and the book purchase. I always buy "preloved" books and DVD on amazon they are usually so good they look like new and great savings.

I too have a separate savings account for xmas and birthdays. Helps to save all year round rather than try and find the money in December or several birthdays in one month
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 7th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    Yesterday was an NSD but I ended up popping into the food hall at Marks n Sparks this afternoon after I posted a few parcels at the PO. Not good but at least I made good use of their offers (and their food is rather nice!). It's also given me something nice to look forward to as I have two longggg days at work this week.

I might declare all of my savings in the 2017 challenge at the end of the month because I just think it would be easier for me in the long run. This month has been a !!!!py month spending wise (and it's only going to get worse as my little boys hand became a bat and a toy became the ball and the tv was in the way and there is a spot of damp that needs sorting out). I am hoping to have £4.5k at the end of this month and I need all of the motivation I can get.

I was going to do the ironing tonight but I didn't. I'm tired and I need by bed. I managed to get a paper cut under a nail on my writing hand yesterday and it is still really painful. It hurt like mofo but I couldn't swear (swearing stops pain) like I normally would have done because I was at work. Grrrr!!!!

• Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 17,642 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I know what you mean about M&S food

Bad news about your tv - is it maybe covered on your house insurance ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 8th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 1,452 Thanks
    bobobski
    Hehe your comment about swearing stopping pain made me laugh out loud snozberry - so true! I may be a junior at work but I make it clear to anyone who meets me that swearing is part of my character! Yesterday I tried going to work but was (and still am) really ill, so I said to my boss "I feel like s***." A colleague said "oh dear, you're unwell?" and my boss said "no, she feels like s***!". It makes me happy that swearing doesn't have to be a bad thing and it looks like you're on board with that!

Anyway, it looks like you've been keeping yourself busy and also been looking after yourself in quite a stressful time, so well done you
    #18: Save 12k in 2017: £4,968.86 / £12,000 (41.4%) | #86: Save £12k in 2016: £8,476.09 / £10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £15,722.77 / £60,000 (26.2%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £988.51 / £5,000 (19.77%)
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 12th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    How did it get to be Sunday evening already??!

It was a really nice weekend. I took my little boy to the park for a couple of hours yesterday and we went swimming this morning. My OH didn't come though as he repainted our little ones bedroom (and made a complete pigs ear of it. I'm gonna ask my BIL to sort it out over the summer holidays).

We have temporarily borrowed a tv until the one my OH is on sale. If you factor in excess and rise in premium then there is no point in claiming for a tv which was at least eight years old.

In brighter news, my SLC refund appeared and I sold one of my sons old coats on fb so my savings account is up £310 points. Kerching! There are no birthdays or anything this week so aside from petrol and a few bits that my OH didn't get from the supermarket then my spends will be minimal this week. And, it is payday in 12 days

My one penny book was delivered a few days ago and I really like it
    Last edited by snozberry; 12-03-2017 at 7:41 PM.

• Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 17,642 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Great savings snozberry you are doing really well and good news that you could borrow a TV until the sales.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 15th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    NSD day today. I made a vat of soup yesterday which I had for lunch today and will continue to do so until it is gone. I may end up sick of it and the same colour (green) but hey ho.

Work has been lovely despite all of the cut backs. Wish I could say the same for home as my OH has been a royal @rse. I just wish that he could speak to me with a civil tongue in his head. I doubt that he ever will so I need to tighten my belt and ensure that I have a Plan B, Plan C and Plan D!

My mother was treated badly and I will be d@mned if the same will happen to me.

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 12,563 Posts
    • 46,003 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad you are making soup. I have made it once since my friend has been here as she is a vegan and it has been nice. I am so sorry your OH is being difficult. I can't think of what to say. Hopefully he will be better today.

Stay happy and if you are down look at you tube from 'Free to Frugal' she is lovely and will cheer you up. Also do look at Frugal Queen she is a little older but great with common sense. Her article the other day was why budget- I read it today and it really inspired me. She is always saving money and being minimalist and is a nice calm person that helps me cheer up.

Stay strong and have a good day. It's not you ok. Hugs, sw.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 16-03-2017 at 8:33 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 17,642 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    ^^^ agree with SW

Aw snozberry what an awful position to be in I know how you feel as I went through similar before my divorce. You deserve love and respect ((hugs)) to you
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 19th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    Thank-you

He is just under huge pressure at work (not that he will admit it) and is a hot tempered baffoon at home. I'm not making excuses for him because it is unacceptable behaviour and I cannot accept it. I mean, what would I say if it was a close friend of mine going through the same thing?? It certainly wouldn't be to 'shut up and put up'.

Anyhoo, I get paid on Friday and I have £20 in the bank and a few coins in my purse to last until then. I have coins in my money box but they need to go into my savings account so, if I need a confidence boost in the week, I shall count them and bag them up.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 12,563 Posts
    • 46,003 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You are handling it really well. I hope he sorts himself out and apologises. I would put his dinner in the dog and his head in the oven!!!! As you can see I am not married. Noone would have me

Well done on being paid so soon and on the money box. I haven't put anything in the Smoosh Fund (as Dolly Rocker calls it) for a while.
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 26th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    snozberry
    The weather has been GLORIOUS!!!! Watch it now rain tomoz lol

Today has been really nice - swimming in the morning and the park in the afternoon. My OH puts zero effort in to Mothering Sunday and the like so today has been like any other tbh. He puts zero effort in to anything that involves buying a gift and a card tbh so it isn't just with me who he is awkward with. It would be nice to be made a fuss off but he isn't like that in the slightest.

I was paid the other day - woohoo!!!! I have given myself a mini challenge to make £60 in fb and eb@y sales before my next payday as that will round up the total in one of my savings account. Anymore will be an added bonus and will go to my sons next group of therapy sessions.

10 more get ups until the Easter holidays and then we will be onto Summer term. I have no idea where the academic year has gone. Once we get to the start of the next, I will have to put all of my energies into finding a new job. Someone has to go and I'd rather I put myself first and found something as I don't really fancy having to reapply for my own job. I can't imagine anything worse than having to do that.

I have £75 worth of coins to put into the bank. I have a few more but I have run out of money bags. I am only going to deposit them when I have another reason to go into town. I don't want to spend a few quid on a parking ticket to run just one errand.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,591Posts Today

7,630Users online

Martin's Twitter