Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TRXbloke
    • By TRXbloke 27th Jan 17, 9:05 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 14Thanks
    TRXbloke
    Blue Badge not seen in Free Car Park disabled bay
    • 27th Jan 17, 9:05 PM
    Blue Badge not seen in Free Car Park disabled bay 27th Jan 17 at 9:05 PM
    Hi All,
    A couple of nights ago we went to the Vue Cinema at Watford. I was lucky in being able to find a disabled bay and parked up as I have many times before. This is in a private car park in which it is free to customers of the businesses on the complex.
    My Blue Badge resides on the passenger side in a recessed flat part of the dash. If I put it anywhere else it either falls onto the floor, or slips down between the dashboard and window, requiring removal of the dashboard to retreive it. It is visible when you get close enough to look over the most frontward part of the dash, and I have checked with a local council Traffic Warden, and she was happy with it there.
    Anyway, on the way home from the Cinema I discovered a ticket in a bag stuck (quite high up out of my eye-line) to my windscreen. It was from UKPC for being "Parked in a disabled person's space without clearly displaying a valid disabled person's badge"
    The charge is for £90, reduced to £50 if paid early.
    When I got home I had a look at the website, on the notice, and looked at the photographic evidence. The pictures have all been taken at an elevation which masks the Blue Badge on the dash, I hope by accident rather than with intent to distort the evidence for financial gain (it wouldn't be the first time).
    Having browsed the internet for advice it seemed the best thing to do was to appeal on the basis that as a genuinely disabled person, with a badge to prove it, I had a right to park in that space (even if I hadn't displayed my badge). I took a picture showing where my blue badge sits so they could see it wasn't visible from the angle they had pictured it, but was from closer and higher. It showed my badge number clearly.
    However they have replied stating
    "Please rest assured that our Appeals Manager has personally reviewed your case and carefully considered the various points you raised. Their view, however, is that the Parking Charge has been correctly issued so it will not be waived.

They continue

"However, in consideration of the information you provided, and on the basis that you are a valid Blue Badge holder, if payment is received by us within 35 days of the date of this letter we will accept the sum of £15 in full settlement of the Parking Charge. Please be advised that we will be donating 10% of this amount to a registered disabled charity."

Remember this is a FREE car park.

I wish to proceed with an appeal to POPLA, but am wary that POPLA will reject the appeal and I will then be liable for the full £90, which on my disability pension is a significant sum that I can ill afford. However I don't like to give in to bullies. Any advice on how to write to POPLA would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    TRXbloke
Page 2
    • TRXbloke
    • By TRXbloke 13th Feb 17, 2:39 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    TRXbloke
    Appeal submitted. I know what you mean about UKPC's site. What a palava.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Feb 17, 3:41 PM
    • 48,302 Posts
    • 61,781 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You mean POPLA's site, not UKPC? You did submit this to POPLA?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• TRXbloke
    • By TRXbloke 14th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    TRXbloke
    Success
    Last week I got the notice from POPLA with UKPC evidence pack. In it UKPC used distorted photos to try to show the signs were lower than they are, and also produced a picture to demonstrate that they have low level signs on site. They do, I have found them, in an overflow car park round the side of the building.
    I wrote up a full reply to their evidence, but found I could not sent the pdf I produced as POPLA just have a box to type 2000 characters to respond to the evidence pack.
    I called POPLA and complained and they said I could have emailed the pdf as a reply to their email. I suggested they let people know that as it says nothing in the emails itself.
    Anyway I got notice today that my appeal is successful, the charge cancelled and the matter is closed.
    Thank you all for the help and encouragement. I nearly caved in, but I suppose my stubborn side won out.
    Cheers
    Bryan
    • TRXbloke
    • By TRXbloke 14th Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    TRXbloke
    Yes POPLA's site, what a mess. and responding to the UKPC evidence pack is limited to 2000 characters... what is this, primary school, or twitter!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 14,790 Posts
    • 18,600 Thanks
    Redx
    the POPLA site allows attachments

but if this was your rebuttal, you are best to email it with the pdf attached and the popla reference and tell them to add it to your case, then phone popla and ensure that it has been added

conragtulations on your win
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 48,302 Posts
    • 61,781 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Last week I got the notice from POPLA with UKPC evidence pack. In it UKPC used distorted photos to try to show the signs were lower than they are, and also produced a picture to demonstrate that they have low level signs on site. They do, I have found them, in an overflow car park round the side of the building.

I wrote up a full reply to their evidence, but found I could not sent the pdf I produced as POPLA just have a box to type 2000 characters to respond to the evidence pack. I called POPLA and complained and they said I could have emailed the pdf as a reply to their email. I suggested they let people know that as it says nothing in the emails itself.

Anyway I got notice today that my appeal is successful, the charge cancelled and the matter is closed.

Thank you all for the help and encouragement. I nearly caved in, but I suppose my stubborn side won out.
    Cheers
    Bryan
    Originally posted by TRXbloke
    Great news!

What did the Assessor's decision say? Please post it in the 'POPLA DECISIONS' sticky, saying it was v UKPC and giving a link to this thread.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,617Posts Today

5,269Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin