Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 27th Jan 17, 5:30 PM
    • 328Posts
    • 1,260Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!
    • 27th Jan 17, 5:30 PM
    Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt! 27th Jan 17 at 5:30 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad that I've found this website because I really need to get serious and DO SOMETHING about my debts. I thought that keeping a diary on this forum would keep me accountable.

I have taken stock and I have over £35,000 of personal debt on loans and credit cards, which does not include my Student Loan (around £18,000 but I need to check the last statement). I have no savings at all and am living pay day to pay day. I have a pension, which is probably the only semi-financially responsible thing I've done in my whole life.

I have always had a problem with spending money. I never knew when it was time to stop spending. The idea of a budget was a foreign concept. I'd spend until everything had gone, whether that was my wages, student loan payments or birthday money. I go through phases of pretending to be responsible and looking at debt consolidation, but what usually happens is that I don't close the old accounts so a few months down the line I end up spending money on the cleared card.

I know that I need to sort out my spending and to take a brutal look at the state of my finances and what I spend money on. I need to stop seeing credit limits as targets to reach (!!!!) and start seeing them for what they are - invitations to get into debt!

This is what I have outstanding:

£13000 on personal loan
    £10500 Barclaycard
    £8000 MBNA
    £2500 HSBC
    £870 on catalog
    £800 left on furniture (this one is interest free, there are 9 repayments left)

I've been reading the advice for newbies threads so this weekend I am going to go through my last bank & cc statements with a fine tooth comb to work out what I am spending money on, and I'm going to find out the interest rates on all my credit accounts.

Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

PS. My forum name is from a Duchess in the 1700s. She was so bad with money that after she died her husband found out she was around 4 million pounds in debt. Sadly I could imagine this happening to me if I had access to that much credit
    Last edited by GeorgianaCavendish; 07-03-2017 at 3:31 PM.
Page 11
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 2nd Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Oh I'll have to register my contactless card. The oyster cards are already registered as I buy the travelcards online. The queues at the train stations are horrendous!

I don't normally like pancakes but this years were lovely. I had chocolate spread and strawberries in one and golden syrup in another. I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
    Originally posted by Naomim
    I didn't realise about registering contactless card until I thought I'd better check my Oyster profile had my current address on it. Very glad I found out about the changes to the refund system as they don't exactly go out of their way to publish it!

I have pancake envy now, roll on Saturday!

Mine never quite works either GC, it's always off by a smallish amount (usually £15-20 a month) and it's quite annoying, but I always seem to end up with more than it says so I'm happier to plan for less and receive more. Not sure why it doesn't work though...
    Originally posted by kirtsypoos
    Hmm, my salary was £50 lower than the calculator said it should be, but I wonder if the difference is to do with my taxable benefits (medical insurance). I'll have another crack at it tonight and use some info from my last P60.

Congratulations on the NSD, you are so right about spending and keeping things for an ideal life and not real life.
    Originally posted by mumto2girlsandaboy
    Thank you very much! I think I'm starting to slowly unpick the tangle of issues around my spending habits, hopefully to make long term positive changes
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's June 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,740.87 / MBNA £7359.50 / Barclaycard £6183.63 / Catalog £ 660 / Dreams £345

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 2nd Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 5,468 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    1st March was a No Spend Day I feel quite energised and motivated to do at least one NSD a week in March, and maybe add a few others.

I had the day off yesterday because I had a hospital appointment in the morning. I spent the afternoon doing a bit more decluttering and eBay listing, I've managed to sell a couple of jackets and pairs of shoes over the past couple of weeks. I'm not making tons of money on each listing but I love how much more organised my wardrobe looks now
    I've got a few more drawers to go through with a critical eye and ditch the things I hardly wear, or have been holding on to for "when I lose weight" or "when I next go to a wedding" or "when I start running again". I realised how much of my shopping has been buying things for my ideal life instead of saying "no, I don't need this right now" or "I won't buy this because it doesn't fit perfectly". Getting rid of some of this stuff is quite liberating and I haven't felt tempted to rush out and replace the things I've sold either.
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    I think so much of consumerism is buying into a life we want, rather than a product we love that will make our actual lives so much better. I felt really silly recently when I was contemplating buying a(nother) pair of yoga leggings online and realised it was because I've been off my practice recently, and I had fooled myself that basically I could transform myself into a dedicated yogi by buying the 'right' leggings rather than actually, you know, doing some more yoga. Same thing with my house - dissatisfied with it looking cluttered and in need of a clean? Buy a £40 scented candle, that will totally make me feel better. Or I could clean the house for FREE.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 6th June 17/DFD: £56,025.55/1st March 2025
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 2nd Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 2,911 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I think so much of consumerism is buying into a life we want, rather than a product we love that will make our actual lives so much better. I felt really silly recently when I was contemplating buying a(nother) pair of yoga leggings online and realised it was because I've been off my practice recently, and I had fooled myself that basically I could transform myself into a dedicated yogi by buying the 'right' leggings rather than actually, you know, doing some more yoga. Same thing with my house - dissatisfied with it looking cluttered and in need of a clean? Buy a £40 scented candle, that will totally make me feel better. Or I could clean the house for FREE.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    This really made me laugh! I'm only laughing because it rings so true - it may be obvious but so many people trick themselves into buying things to compensate for lacking areas in their lives.
    CC1: 3,741/4,200 | CC2: 5,129/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,300/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,732 or 18%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 2nd Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    This really made me laugh! I'm only laughing because it rings so true - it may be obvious but so many people trick themselves into buying things to compensate for lacking areas in their lives.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    This is so true. I think advertising and this consumer culture tricks us into thinking that only an expensive product/service has the power to be 'life changing'. Whereas if the answer is something simple and free it's a bit like "well, if that's all it takes, why don't I have that lifestyle / figure / clean house already?". For me, I think it has definitely been easier to throw money at something and not think about the real issues too closely.

Wow, this is getting a bit heavy!
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's June 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,740.87 / MBNA £7359.50 / Barclaycard £6183.63 / Catalog £ 660 / Dreams £345

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 3rd Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Well I can't comment, after spending extra on an ironing board with pink legs..
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £36933
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 6th Mar 17, 3:21 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Hanging In There
    Not a huge amount to report at the moment , I'm in the 'waiting period' time of the month between my direct debits being paid and my new credit card statements being generated so that I can update my debt spreadsheet.

I had a NSD on Saturday and a good weekly shop at Aldi (came in at £57.41 but included a bottle of prosecco and bunch of flowers which were a gift for my friend, so £44.43 on our groceries). I'm planning to do my batch cook of Mexican Tomato Soup tonight

• Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 6th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 5,468 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Ooh, did you post a link to that soup recipe already? I kind of think you did but I can't find it, would you mind linking again?
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 6th June 17/DFD: £56,025.55/1st March 2025
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 6th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Ooh, did you post a link to that soup recipe already? I kind of think you did but I can't find it, would you mind linking again?
    Here you go Jamie's Mexican Tomato Soup - I usually make it without the rice and don't bother with the nachos etc (mainly because I'm lazy )

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 6th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,535 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hope the time passes quickly!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £54.82 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1855 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 7th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Still in the twilight zone, Barclaycard and HSBC statements are out but waiting for MBNA. Catalog and loan totals update later in the month but credit cards are the ones I'm most bothered about given they have the highest interest rates and I feel like I'm only just learning how expensive credit card debt actually is!

Positive Things:

Made my batch of tomato soup last night, really looking forward to having the first serving at lunchtime!

Ebay sales continuing at a slow and steady rate. I've given up with auctions (unless it is something that I need to get rid of asap) I've found them much less profitable than Buy It Now/Best Offer. I've got the listed stuff stored away neatly and the pile is reducing every week, and my flat is looking so much neater and tidier! I've got one more area to sort through (the storage bags of summer / holiday clothes that I put away last year) and then I'll be done!

My husband did a bit of a spring clean while I was out on Saturday I'm really enjoying having a sparkling bathroom (for now, anyway)
    Last edited by GeorgianaCavendish; 07-03-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo!

• Naomim
    • By Naomim 7th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Naomim
    Still in the twilight zone, Barclaycard and HSBC statements are out but waiting for MBNA. Catalog and loan totals update later in the month but credit cards are the ones I'm most bothered about given they have the highest interest rates and I feel like I'm only just learning how expensive credit card debt actually is!

Positive Things:

Made my batch of tomato soup last night, really looking forward to having the first serving at lunchtime!

Ebay sales continuing at a slow and steady rate. I've given up with auctions (unless it is something that I need to get rid of asap) I've found them much less profitable than Buy It Now/Best Offer. I've got the listed stuff stored away neatly and the pile is reducing every week, and my flat is looking so much neater and tidier! I've got one more area to sort through (the storage bags of summer / holiday clothes that I put away last year) and then I'll be done!

My husband did a bit of a spring clean while I was out on Saturday I'm really enjoying having a sparkling bathroom (for now, anyway)
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    It is all a bit of a waiting game isn't it? Are the fees much more expensive to list as Buy It Now/Best offer? I was very disappointed a pair of 11yo's Gap jeans only sold for 99p considering they were £20 brand new and hardly worn.

Send your OH my way! I love a sparkly bathroom but not much chance of that with my lot.

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 £18,609.97 / Feb17 £19222.48 Overdraft Nov16 £2,416.88 / Feb17 £1863.48
    £2 savings club #26 £48 NSD'S Feb17 2/8
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 7th Mar 17, 3:14 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    It is all a bit of a waiting game isn't it? Are the fees much more expensive to list as Buy It Now/Best offer? I was very disappointed a pair of 11yo's Gap jeans only sold for 99p considering they were £20 brand new and hardly worn.

Send your OH my way! I love a sparkly bathroom but not much chance of that with my lot.

Naomi x
    Originally posted by Naomim
    To be honest, I'm not sure about the fees. Buy It Now/Best Offer is free when listing (same as auction) but I need to work out if the final selling fees are charged at a higher rate than auction items. I had a similar experience with a barely worn Boden dress than sold for £4.99 (starting price) but cost a lot more than that when new. I remember that years ago it was possible to make lots on ebay auctions but I think now I'm better off using Buy It Now/Best Offer because shoppers don't have the patience to wait for an auction to end. I sell very few items at the Buy It Now price but I tend to price that about £5 - £10 higher than the lower end of my price range. I think I'll try this for 30 days, then list anything that doesn't sell in auction, and if that doesn't work then charity shop.

I'm still in a bit of shock that my husband took it upon himself to clean the bathroom with no prior discussion. He even re-organised my cosmetics and cleaned all my make up brushes (I double checked that used the proper stuff and didn't just use the bathroom cleaner before I used them again though ) However, our washing up tally for the last few days is me - 7 times, him - 1.5 (got bored half way through and wandered off!) so he's definitely resting on his laurels over the bathroom.

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 7th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening GC,

I agree re the eBay and buy it nows. Selling things on auction too cheaply just isn't worth it anymore.

Yay to OH doing his spot of cleaning! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 7th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,535 Thanks
    Bobarella
    How nice to have a house proud hubby
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £54.82 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1855 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 10th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Just checking in

Work has been ridiculously busy this week so I haven't had a chance to post much. I've noticed small changes in my habits are starting to take root though, now the idea of not bringing lunch to work with me seems crazy! And meal planning is definitely a winner. I think we had to get our heads around the concept that doing these things doesn't mean we're taking second best, it is really nice to plan a lovely meal and have all the ingredients already in the house, and we're doing that every day Much better than grabbing something expensive and not so tasty from the supermarket or ordering a disappointing takeaway.

I've got to dash now, have meetings most of today ... including one later about my bonus. The suspense!!

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 13th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Ooh, tell us about your bonus
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £36933
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 14th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Just read through your diary and you sound to be doing great!
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 21st Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    March Debt Totals
    Total debt (excluding Student Loan) is £ 34,662.64

HSBC Personal Loan : £12877.06
    Interest rate 8.9%, 34 payments left

Credit Card Balances

HSBC £2357.14
    Interest rate 21.9%

MBNA £7790.53
    Breakdown as follows
    £543.75 @ 10.9% (rate ends September 2017)
    £541.28 @ 10.9% (rate ends October 2017)
    £969.49 @ 10.9% (rate ends November 2017)
    £4149.31 @ 23.9%
    £1586.70 @ 27.9%

Barclaycard £10,112.28
    £629.36 @ 27.6%
    £9,482.92 @ 18.6%

Catalog £722.63
    Interest rate 17.9%

Furniture Finance £603
    Interest rate 0%, 7 payments left

Holiday £200 left to pay
    Interest rate 0%, must be paid by 25th April 2017

• GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 21st Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Quick Update!
    It has been all quiet on my diary for a little while because we've got a major project going on at work. I just wanted to pop on and update all my March Debt Totals because my statements have all been updated for the month.

I did some more digging on my MBNA promotional rate and discovered that there are actually three separate rates which end in September, October and November, so have updated this information.

I'm amassing a decent chunk of money from eBay sales and I'm really looking forward to making an overpayment on credit card debt at the end of this month (together with bonus money which I'll update on later).

Apart from getting rid of a chunk of the MBNA debt, I'm really looking forward to my Barclaycard balance going under £10,000 and my catalog balance going under £700 next month. It will feel like such an achievement!

Have a good week everyone! I'll be back soon once this deadline is out of the way.

• dktreesea
    • By dktreesea 21st Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 5,553 Posts
    • 8,663 Thanks
    dktreesea
    Hi GC,

Congratulations on your LBM. I have been in your position, using shopping therapy to overcome depression, with twice as much debt as you have amassed. The banks loved it. At one stage one of my credit cards had a limit of £18k. Now that I am in my fifties, I hate things with a passion, don't bring anything into the house unless there's an equal volume going out of the house, and celebrate every foot of free floor space I create each month. I don't really even shop for enjoyment now because everything I like gets the question "Do I need this?" and even if the answer is yes, gets further interrogation "Why exactly do I need this?"

I still occasionally have a coffee out, (Waitrose, free but our Waitrose requires a purchase. No problem - they're the only supermarket in town that carry Vogels bread) but invite friends over rather than meeting them at a coffee shop. They get fruit salad as a dessert instead of cake.

I was wondering about your £90 a year annual fee for the anti virus for your computers? This seems way over the top for me. We use Kaspersky, £12.50 a year digital download off EBAY for 5 computers. If you only had two computers that need it, it's around £8 a year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,892Posts Today

9,417Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin