Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • spangieuk
    • By spangieuk 27th Jan 17, 2:38 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 35Thanks
    My son is moving back after 8 years away, how much do I charge him rent?
    • #1
    • 27th Jan 17, 2:38 PM
    My son is moving back after 8 years away, how much do I charge him rent? 27th Jan 17 at 2:38 PM
    Hi everyone,

    My son is moving back in with me after moving out at 18 - now 8 years ago. Currently it is me and my daughter (who is 17).

    I have absolutely no idea what to charge him for rent and was hoping for some guidance or suggestions from fellow money savers!

    I live in a 3 bed semi, me and my daughter have a double room each and my son will be taking the smaller room. His current housemate is moving in with his girlfriend and my son can't afford to rent a house on his own.

    He works full time, as do I, and he earns around £20k a year. The ultimate objective is for him to try to get some money together to get a deposit on a house. I am not in the position to help him do that in anyway unfortunately, so I suggested that he move in and try and actively save some money using one or other of the government incentive schemes that are available, but he has to be actively making an effort to do this, he is not coming home to use the house like a cheap hotel room.

    It will obviously mean some adjustments to everyone in the house, me and my girlie are used to living in a girlie house, with no men in it - so getting used to having an almost 6 foot young lad around again will take some getting used to I am sure - even if I do adore him!

    So how much rent do I charge, knowing that I am not in the position to be able to support him for free, but want to help him as much as I can so that he can get his foot on the housing ladder.

    There are the obvious increases in all the bills, and the loss of single council tax occupancy, then all the increase in food/cleaning stuff/washing powder etc.

    Aggggghhhhh - PLEASE HELP ME!!!

    I think I have 2 options - £300 a month with everything paid for, (he can do his own washing and stuff - I am not being a skivvy!!) although I don't mind cooking when I do it, because i will be doing it anyway. With £300 a month, I was thinking of filtering £75 into a savings account to give him at some given point in time (when he either moves out, or is almost to his goal or whatever) and the £225 to help towards bills and food etc.

    The alternative I thought of is that I just charge him a flat £200 rent, spend it all on the bills, and he pays for his own food, washing powder etc, or we keep all receipts and split it up between 3 at the end of the month (I pay 2/3rds for me and my daughter) and he pays 1/3rd for him and we keep it on actuals.

    The only thing that slightly concerns me about that option is that he just does't buy it (cos he is skint or whatever) and I end up paying myself anyway! Which I guess wouldn't happen if we did the maths on our paydays (luckily we both get paid on the same day - so this would work!!) So effectively he is always a month behind - he eats etc for a month, then pays me the proper total.

    Any ideas or inspiration or wise people that can help?!
Page 2
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 22nd Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 35,873 Posts
    • 151,053 Thanks
    The best way perhaps is charging him like what you would charge if the place will be rented out by another person. I think it is just fair. But for some consideration, you may opt to give him some discount.
    Originally posted by Cristy Jones
    Seriously? He is the son, not some random person making a commercial arrangement!
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 27th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 4,605 Thanks
    My son is also returning home after eight years!
    I'm delighted as I never thought he would come back,-N.I
    I hadn't thought of charging him rent at all but I think he only intends staying a few months before renting with a friend.
    On the other hand, I am inheriting his cat and that is going to cost money, plus a shed load of worry. Maybe I should ask him to pay for the cat food. I'm going to have to spend a lot of money trying to make sure the cat cannot escape from the garden as we are on a busy road.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Cristy Jones
    • By Cristy Jones 4th Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Cristy Jones
    I agree with mai_taylor. I won't charge him with the use of his own room before he moved out. Just the increased bills. I don't mind him living with me again. My home will always be my kids home.
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 4th Apr 17, 8:14 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    £1100 per month sounds like an awful lot of money for household bills! Presumably you're paying this on your own at the moment, so it seems unfair to ask him to subsidise you and your daughter.
    • Momlovessavingmoney
    • By Momlovessavingmoney 5th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    I think £300 is fair
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 25th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    You could go on a website like and see what the going rate for a room let is for your area and charge him that,
    • Monika333
    • By Monika333 6th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    I think this is a good idea.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 6th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    I'd give him a easy first month financially. You are his mother after all.
    Unless, of course things are tight financially. I'd just charge him just for food in the first month. Then I'd probably do £200 rising after a few months to £300.00.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Sep 17, 6:25 AM
    • 17,625 Posts
    • 44,860 Thanks
    I'd give him a easy first month financially. You are his mother after all.
    Unless, of course things are tight financially. I'd just charge him just for food in the first month. Then I'd probably do £200 rising after a few months to £300.00.
    Originally posted by pearl123
    The OP posted in January 2017 so the first month is long gone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,363Posts Today

6,930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

  • Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion!

  • Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties)

  • Follow Martin