Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • davomcdave
    • By davomcdave 27th Jan 17, 1:40 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    davomcdave
    • 27th Jan 17, 1:40 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 1:40 PM
    I've found cheap cardio gear like this to be terrible although I can't speak for these actual pieces you've discovered.

Can you go for a walk or run instead of a morning or evening? It's cheaper and probably better for your mental and physical health.
    • elsmandino
    • By elsmandino 27th Jan 17, 2:08 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    elsmandino
    • 27th Jan 17, 2:08 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 2:08 PM
    Unfortunately not - we have a two year old.

It pretty much has to be housebound exercising.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 27th Jan 17, 2:29 PM
    • 15,291 Posts
    • 62,771 Thanks
    Judi
    • 27th Jan 17, 2:29 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 2:29 PM
    One of the trainers i used at the gym said the best cardio equipment you could buy was a rowing machine. I'd go for a rower but buy the best you can afford cause the cheap ones are naff.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 27th Jan 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 6,847 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 27th Jan 17, 5:20 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 5:20 PM

Originally posted by elsmandino
    time for an all terrain buggy then - there are several that take part in our local park run
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 27th Jan 17, 9:43 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 27th Jan 17, 9:43 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 9:43 PM
    A skipping rope is fantastic cardio.
    You do really need to be in a downstairs room to use one but it doesn't really need that much room and is easily stored between uses.
    I've been using mine for years.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 27th Jan 17, 11:20 PM
    • 4,131 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    asajj
    • 27th Jan 17, 11:20 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 11:20 PM
    Another one for skipping rope. Just make sure you watch some videos (Sara Solomon is a great one) to ensure your technique is correct.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 28th Jan 17, 11:43 AM
    • 13,090 Posts
    • 17,307 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 28th Jan 17, 11:43 AM
    • 28th Jan 17, 11:43 AM
    One of the trainers i used at the gym said the best cardio equipment you could buy was a rowing machine. I'd go for a rower but buy the best you can afford cause the cheap ones are naff.
    Originally posted by Judi
    I'd recommend a rowing machine too.

My wife has a skipping rope but it's an outdoors or in a barn only activity.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 28th Jan 17, 12:44 PM
    • 11,875 Posts
    • 25,618 Thanks
    andygb
    • 28th Jan 17, 12:44 PM
    • 28th Jan 17, 12:44 PM
    I reckon that a good cross trainer provides the best all round cardio workout. A rowing machine is pretty good as well, but it doesn't exercise as many different muscle groups as the cross trainer, and the danger with a rowing machine is developing a bad technique and injuring the back. I watch lots of people in the gym, and very few seem to have been taught the correct way to row - keep the back straight and head up, drive back with the legs, and then pull the handle back in a straight line to the middle of the chest (not the chin or throat as I have witnessed), then release the hands before going forward to the bent legs position. Always remember to never lock out the knees on the way back.

LEGS - ARMS - ARMS - LEGS
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 28th Jan 17, 1:03 PM
    • 13,090 Posts
    • 17,307 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Cross trainers take up a fair bit of space in the average home.

We had one, a big Vision(?) thing, but got rid of it due to lack of use. My wife sold it to a colleague who lives in a flat. It now takes up half her living room.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 29th Jan 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    culpepper
    A skipping rope doesn't need that much space.
    I do it in our living room and it can also be done in the bit between the front door and the stairs in our house, the upstairs landing,dining room if I move a couple of chairs aside or just outdoors when not windy.
    If you lay the rope out with the handles either side of your feet you can see if it would hit anything.
    Obviously check above your head too.

remember if buying a folding machine of any kind, you need the space it folds out into clear the whole time else you just wont be able to use it and it will become an expensive clothes horse.
    You can however have it fold out in front of drawers and cupboards without too much problem as it will fold back out of the way afterwards.
    Last edited by culpepper; 29-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 29th Jan 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    parking_question_chap

Originally posted by elsmandino

I would guess 95% of the time things like that only get use for few weeks at most.

Does it take both of you to look after the child?

You would be much better off buying a good pair of trainers each and hitting the streets.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 30th Jan 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 35,366 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    At home we have a Confidence Fitness Exercise Bike (£190 from Tesco) which I highly recommend. I notice that the other equipment in the same range gets good reviews. We also have kettlebells and dumbbells and this all gets used two or three times a week in winter but I combine this with running outdoors, a pilates class and a kettlercise class. I just dont have the motivation to exercise at home all the time and nothing beats running or cycling outside when you can.

Kettlercise is a fantastic workout.
    • Frudd
    • By Frudd 23rd Feb 17, 12:19 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Frudd
    Exercise videos, tons of them in charity shops. If you have stairs you have a stepper, or run up and down them - I do that a lot when working from home, it also helps me to not put the heating on.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Feb 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,805 Posts
    • 16,032 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I agree with Frudd ^^^

No point with a step etc as you have all of the kit already at home for that.
    Get on youtube and look for some workouts you can do both cardio and body weight exercises.

I would also buy some trainers and get out and run there are 2 of you so it should be relatively easy for one of you to stay at home whilst the other one goes out for a quick 30 min run. Then you can swap babysitting duties. Loads of people I know all either run with buggies or do alternative weeks at parkrun so each does one every 2 weeks.

Not sure I would spend the money on something like a treadmill for the home.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 23rd Feb 17, 6:06 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,374 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Walk up and down the stairs. Then run up. Then go up two at a time. And repeat.
    • Al1x
    • By Al1x 4th Mar 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    Al1x
    Youtube has plenty of exercise videos, look for the body coach, hitt, 30 day shred etc. a lot of them are only 20 minutes long so easy to fit in when looking after a child. I find if I do different ones I don't get bored.

• mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 7th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    For cardio you really don't need that much equipment - you can do HIIT which doesn't require equipment. I would recommend the step and a skipping rope as these aren't bulky. Check out The Body Coach on YouTube - he has really good cardio workouts you can do at home.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Mar 17, 4:08 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    another casualty
    The trouble with having a 2 year old, is you need to have eyes at the back of your head. They'll be up to all sorts when you least expect it .
    Make sure you have adequate room etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,708Posts Today

9,980Users online

Martin's Twitter