Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 4,321Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 40
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 21st Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 18,485 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I've had a similar mix-up. Found I only had £9.89 left in the running costs account and was heading for an overdraft in the fixed payments account as I forgot my VED (£190) is an annual DD and my tooth was paid for in cash (over £200) for the new crown - I had withdrawn £300 cash across 2 accounts to cover it

Then there is tree-gate. He finally apologised this morning and I have ordered replacement porcelain bells (£50ish). We spoke about it. Apparently I spoke to him as though he were a child. There was a reason for that....
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - my annual target is £10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 budget of £3,500 including stores
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 24th Dec 17, 6:18 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 18,485 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Have a great Christmas JoJoC!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - my annual target is £10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 budget of £3,500 including stores
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 24th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 11,196 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Have a lovely Christmas JoJo x
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/December 2017=2,510
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 31st Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thank you for the lovely Christmas wishes from everyone, and I hope you all had a great Christmas too!

Ours was lovely despite my youngest getting a sick bug on Christmas eve. He was unwrapping presents in between throwing up but he recovered in the afternoon so it could have been a lot worse!

We spent some quality time with family, had some great food, lots of laughs - just a lovely time all round.

Husband and i had planned to be more productive in yhe days after Christmas, trying to get the house in order and clear out/ repurpose some storage space but I've been loaded with a horrid cold so we've just done what we need to do to get by.

However, we will be getting started today and roping the kids in for good measure!

It so nice to just do nothing together some days

I feel like I'm already itching to get started on getting organised for 2018. I need to do a 2017 debt round up and a plan for 2018 including monthly budgets for the first few months of the year. But I can't do this until my head is clear and I have uninterrupted time to sort it all out. I'll get to it in the next couple of days.

I also want to sort out something to make meal planning easier as this will ultimately improve our health and our bank balance (I.e no more takeaways!). I have implemented a shared family calendar on mine and husbands phone which should make scheduling our lives a lot easier - so far so good.

Right, I'll disappear now and get started on the clearing of cupboards so that today isn't another accidental pyjamas day!!

Happy New year to you all when it comes
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Jan 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    2017 overview - the highs and the lows!
    I normally do a monthly update and I think i'll continue that into 2018 but I think a 2017 overview will be much more useful to me right now than a December one.

Well, what a year! I started my journey in February 2017 and we've had ups and downs like no tomorrow. To be honest, I can't believe we made it through the year!

You've heard all about my financially traumatic year - 60ths, hen weekends, stag weekends, my sister's wedding, weekends away, work trips abroad... it's been one hell of a year but mostly positive.

Overall, i'm just so pleased that we managed to make it through all of our commitments in 2017 year without adding to our debt (excluding the driveway, but i'll come to that).

Here's some key facts

February 2017 - starting off
    • Overdraft - £ 1,000
    • C/C 1: £3850.01
    • C/C 2: 6024
    • MIL: £120
    • Uncle: £700
    • Very: £60
    • Loan: £8,860
    Total debt Feb 2017: £20,614

End of June
    £16,292 (Paid £4,322)
    Managed to get rid of 4 debts so only 3 remaining.

August
    Driveway decision was made and a reshuffle of loan situation occurred - positives are that we're saving our house from extortionate water damage and from having to redo the work in a couple of years. Negatives are that we upped our debt.

Debt total in Aug: £23,832.

December - ending off the year.
    CC 1: 3504
    CC 2: 4781
    Loan: 11,843

Total debt in Dec: £20,129

It's a bit disheartening to be ending the year on the same figures that we started on, but when I think of the relief it has been to have our driveway and drainage taken care of, it really makes me know that it's all worthwhile.

Considering we had such a crazy busy year and our debt only increased for something that I'd say was semi-essential house maintenance that will last (hopefully) for the next 20 years, i think we're doing ok.

I'm off to start looking at my hopes, goals and aims for 2018...a bit late in the day since we're already a week in but since I'm just back at my laptop today, I've had quite a bit of time to think about what I think I'd like to achieve and what I think we are capable of doing.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    2018 - looking forward not back!
    Now that I've rounded up 2017, i'd like to draw a line in the sand and look at what I want us to achieve in the year ahead. A new year always fills me with a sense of enthusiasm for life and organisation and although that wanes throughout the year, i'd be as well making the most of it while it's present!

Finances
    • By just continuing to pay our loan at the rate that is on direct debit, we'll shave £5,790 off it by the end of this year, bringing the total down to £6,053 I know we can do better than that and I really, really want to focus on overpayments in the latter part of this year (not the former, and i'll explain why later)
    • Credit card 1: We are still only paying a small amount to these - more than the minimum payment of course, but still a minimal amount. If we continue on this trajectory, at the end of the year the balance will be £2,954, paying off only £550 in a year. I KNOW we can do better than that and will endeavour to do so in the latter part of the year.
    • Credit card 2: This is in the same boat as CC1 - if we just stick to paying the small amount that we do to this, knocking £550 off it this year will see us ending the year on £4231 which really isn't good enough. We can definitely do better here and make sure that we are in a reasonable position to balance transfer when the 0% term comes to an end in January 2019.

If we pay our debts as currently with no overpayments, our debt total will drop to £13,238. However, if I allocate £400 extra per month to overpayments in August - December that'll bring it down to £11,238, making a £2k difference. And if we allocate £500 per month over that period, it'll be down to £10,328. I'm just trying to illustrate (to myself, more than anything) that making a commitment to paying down extra can really make a massive difference.

I do not have a plan for overpayment of debt yet, and I will go into that below...

Quality time
    After a year of complete chaos last year and (i'm ashamed to admit) not as much quality time with the kids as we'd like, we said that this year would be about quality family time, experiences and making our time together count. Both my husband and I work full time, the kids are either in school or nursery or after school club during the week and weekends are precious. This year, our annual leave belongs to us since last year it was full of things for others' commitments (not saying we didn't enjoy them of course!).

With that in mind, we've booked two family holidays
    • A week in the sun at Easter, all inclusive to spend just the four of us in the pool having fun - it wasn't cheap but within our available funds.
    That means that for the next two months (End of Jan wage and end of Feb wage), a majority chunk of our spare income will pay off this holiday. We'll need little to no spending money and I have some money put aside for that already.
    • A week in France with my parents and siblings - we have purchased flights and accommodation (still need to book car hire) for a very reasonably priced week away in the summer. I will pay my dad back for accommodation costs and pay my 0% credit card back for flight costs as soon as I've paid for holiday 1. End of March, April, May and June wages will cover these costs and spending money.

SO! This is the reason that I won't be overpaying my debt massively in the first half of 2018.

Extravagant? Not really. Unnecessary? Maybe. Do i think we deserve it? Yes! Do i regret it? NO!

We are all really looking forward to the time away and the second half of the year will be focused on seeing what we can do to improve our finances.

Financial things to consider for Q3&4 2018
    • We will have £500 'spare' money from July onwards (i.e. money not allocated to holiday-related things)
    • In addition to the above, our youngest son will qualify for his 15 hours of Government funding at nursery in August so for 9 months of the year, we'll save £140 per month on his childcare fees, bringing our total spare income to £640 per month
    • My husband's 14 year old car is on its last legs and will need to be replaced in the latter part of the year, if it doesn't die on us before then! All options will be explored to see what the best route to take is as a more long term solution.
    When I refer to the above money as 'spare money' it sounds really flippant because of course, it isn't spare, it's just money that has yet to be allocated. There's always things that crop up that haven't been accounted for or budgeted for but I realise that it's a great position to be in to really start overpaying these debts as much as we can.

My personal goals
    • Continue to strive towards achieving better health and fitness through going to the gym (I'm on month 3 now I think) and making the most of the 'me' time that it offers
    • Be more productive and focused at work which will help me to achieve more
    • Make sure that my time with the kids counts - as I've mentioned before, I don't feel like I have a LOT of time with the kids so I want to try to be more present and more involved in the time that we do have. Sometimes juggling life, work, motherhood, being a friend, a wife, a daughter etc gets on top of me and I can withdraw but I want to tackle that where possible this year.
    • Look after my skin better - I have a 'big' birthday this year and it's made me realise that I think I've taken my youth for granted. To avoid any unneccessary premature aging, I want to push myself to look after my skin a bit better. I got some lovely skincare for Christmas so I have no excuse.

This isn't an exhaustive list, and I'm sure it will evolve as the year goes on, but I always feel it's cathartic to get these thoughts down on paper to look back on.

I've received so much support and advice from the lovely people on this forum, so I do want to say a big thank you to you all and wish you all a very healthy and happy 2018 whatever it may bring.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Starting the day right
    Before Christmas I'd got myself into a bit of a rut with the morning 'slog' - snoozing the alarm countless times, finally waking up and reading the news/ emails/ facebook/ MSE...anything to avoid getting up. Then manically running around trying to get myself and two kids ready for school/ nursery all the while barking at them to get their shoes on for the millionth time.

I don't want to do that this year. It's not a good start to the day, it's not good for the kids to be constantly rushed and it's not good for anyone's mind!

I'd like to set my alarm, wake up and get up first time. I'm not sure how achievable this is as I LOVE my bed and am not a morning person but I feel that procrastination is addictive and hard to stop when you start. It'll give me plenty of time, give the kids time to come to and start getting ready without being rushed and generally just make a better start for us in the morning.

Any tips for a grumpy non-morning person?

• monz
    • By monz 9th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 8,802 Thanks
    monz
    Its an inspiring list JoJo xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £6,356.28/10,000
    mothers day 10/30 boots, mums July birthday boots vouchers 0/50
    dads march birthday amazon 0/30
    holiday - £678.24/1064.72
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thanks Monz - it looks good writing it all down but now i just need to figure out how to make it all work and, more importantly, stick to it and keep on top of it!!

Hope your car is on the mend soon.

• jemreading
    • By jemreading 9th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi JoJo, first time poster to your diary as a non-morning person who also doesn’t like to leave my bed and used to do exactly the same as you.

I find it best to set the alarm for the same time every morning, making sure you have to get out of bed to turn it off. Then I also go and get myself a glass of water and make sure to drink the whole thing (sometimes I’ll have lemon water) before starting the day.

I find it quite refreshing and a great way to kickstart to the day!
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thanks for the tip, Jem! I've been trying to start my day with water for the last week as I wake up so dehydrated in the morning and it's working well so far so i'll continue that.

In the mornings, my husband gets out of bed at 6.30 and comes back in to say goodbye before leaving for work at around 6.50 so I'm already semi awake when he leaves. My alarm is set for 6.50 then 7am. I don't need to get up any earlier than 7am. But some mornings I haven't been getting up until almost 8am leaving it a massive rush to get two kids up and ready, fed and to school and nursery by 8.55.

I know myself that it's not good. I don't enjoy it. It makes me start off my day stressed/ grumpy.

So why do I do it?

I think I'm just going to have to force myself to consistently get out of bed at 7 and try to focus on how much less stressy the morning routine is when I just get up. Getting us all ready is inevitable - why am i consciously making it hard for myself?

I also think that going to my bed earlier might help - 10pm would be ideal rather than the 11/11.30 that we go at the moment.

• monz
    • By monz 10th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 8,802 Thanks
    monz
    omg I cdnt manage 11pm at night... I go to bed 9/930 during the week... I love my sleep haha xxx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £6,356.28/10,000
    mothers day 10/30 boots, mums July birthday boots vouchers 0/50
    dads march birthday amazon 0/30
    holiday - £678.24/1064.72
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 10th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Haha I also love my sleep Monz but I live for the hour or so time where my husband and I sit down to watch a box set together before bed. By the time the kids are in bed, everything is prepped for the next day, we are showered and eat etc, it's normally knocking on 9pm. We've been right into this new series lately so trying to squeeze in two episodes but we've knocked that on the head and it's just one per night now so that we can avoid late bed times.

This morning was an epic fail though! We didn't get the kids to bed until 8.30pm because we went swimming after work with the kids so everything was later. We went to bed at 11 and I really struggled to get out my bed this morning so everything was a rush and my eldest was clearly overtired. When will i learn?

I had a terrible night's sleep too, tossed and turned for ages, so that didn't help.

Anyway, it's something I need to work on!

Surveys
    I was reading your diary, Monz, and you made me think about surveys for the first time in over a month. I was doing really well, getting through them pretty consistently. Just taken an overview of where I'm at with them:

PA: £4.44
    VO: £0.25
    Onepoll: £31.90 (£8.10 until cash out)

I'm going to try to keep these up and use any earnings from surveys to go straight into my holiday pot. It's 'extra' money after all so I figure it'll help out with buying bits that we need in the run up to the holiday like swimming shorts for the kids and sun cream etc.

The VO earnings will likely be Amazon vouchers so i'll decide what to do with them when I get them. They're always handy for sorting out birthday party gifts for my son's school friends etc.

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 10th Jan 18, 11:26 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    One poll is changing too, once you drop 40 quid the payout amount then goes to 25 quid so it only take 5 months to reach rather than 10 lol.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £8.25 Survey Earnings YTD £38.38
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 10th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    One poll is changing too, once you drop 40 quid the payout amount then goes to 25 quid so it only take 5 months to reach rather than 10 lol.
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    That's brililiant Scott! I always get a new lease of life when I get close to the payout amount but in between times I can 'forget' or not bother about it for months in between. It always seems so long away. £25 is much more of an achievable goal!

How are you getting on with your surveys? Still making a tidy amount?

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 10th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Yeah canny i think last year with surveys and cashback i got about for the year 750 quid ish. It helped in part to cover my dating looneys bill lol

This year so far its going well i have opinium research near dropping and one two others are close.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 10th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sounds good! You aiming to beat your 2017 total this year then?

I hear it costs a lot to date looneys...

After speaking about surveys this morning i spent half my lunch hour on PA and now have £5.29 balance and £7.81 pending Got a good couple of surveys (one was £5+) there so it can all add up so quickly. I should definitely make more of an effort to do these when I can!

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 10th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Yeah i am going to try for doubling it hell why not.

Yeah it does and last year i had my fair share i would go into gory details but lets just say we had the following short versions lol:

A fraudster whose family were committing benefit fraud and were getting done for it (shopped by me)

A lass who was supposedly single but whose boyfriend on a date appeared and then went for me (luckily i move fast for a big lad and did karate years ago)

A bunny boiler who wanted me to move in with her after 2 weeks (elbow)

Then an attention selfie loving instagram loving workaholic

So yeah it was fun and games and not worth it i am staying single survey money is going on debts and me lol.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Haha after that streak of luck, maybe you should steer clear for a while Scott! Money is better spent on you, your debts and your hobbies rather than crazy dates!

After kicking my own butt yesterday about doing surveys, my balances are now:
    PA: £17.50 with £1 pending (i'll cash out at £20 so only £1.50 to go)
    OP: £32.25 (£7.75 until cash out)
    VO: £0.25 (no change)
    Opinion outpost: 30/190 points

I'll need to work on VO today and keep an eye on PA in between getting work done!
    Last edited by JoJoC; 11-01-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: missed something out

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Small changes to maximise savings
    I was tinkering with our online banking earlier as it's time for me to transfer the second half of the month's spends to our spending account. I do it this way because my husband gets paid weekly and I'm monthly so it makes sense to split it into two payments.

Our spends are classed as food, travel, fuel, hobbies and any other spending. I was due to transfer £300 today and that's to do us until the end of the month, but I thought I'd try a wee experiment.

I transferred £200 into the spending account which brings the total available to £229.

I filled up the car yesterday and that'll do us until the end of the month. I stocked up on a LOT of groceries as our cupboards were bare last week so i'm hoping to stick to £40-50 max for shopping per week for the next 3 weeks and my husband may need to top up on fuel about £30 which totals £180 leaving £49 spare. I do need to order contact lenses so that may scupper this but i'll see if i can find a code to minimise the damage.

If i can manage it, then we'll have successfully siphoned off £100 to the holiday fund! If not, then i'll only transfer in what we need rather than just dumping in the whole £100 because then we'll just spend it on unnecessary crap.

It's not a foolproof plan, but i figured why not try?

As soon as my PA cash clears ill cash out £20 from there and I'm only £7 away from Onepoll so i'll have a good push on that over the next week so when that £40 clears that'll be £60 extra in the holiday fund!

I've got just over £30 in my purse too so that'll help to cover any day to day little spends.

I must remember to report back and let you know how I get on!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,229Posts Today

9,103Users online

Martin's Twitter