Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,280Posts
    • 4,176Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3554.32 £250.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4829.43 £245 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £12,369.24 (£2,631.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,752 | Total debt paid: £3,080 (13%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 38
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Productivity
    Today i need to be productive. When I work from home I end up whiling my day away working, pottering around and working some more, spending my breaks on the couch with a cuppa.

While this is nice, i'm finding myself stressing and worrying about the 5,000 things that I need to do! So, i've started myself a list in my notepad to keep me on the straight and narrow. Everything is going on there, as I do find it satisfying scoring something off and it helps to motivate me.

Spent 60p this morning on my son's breakfast club and another 60p on two bananas so not exactly massive spending. I'm about to go on to Ebay and order some ink pads, stamps and card to make family Christmas cards this year. I'm sick of spending £25+ on bland cards that mean nothing. I'd happily scrap doing them altogether but I know it means a lot to quite a few family members. Instead, my sons and I will make them with a combination of stamps and paint (think handprints, finger prints and foot prints making various Christmas themed things like reindeer and snowmen). It'll be a fun activity and will save us a bit of money too. We can reuse the stamps again year on year so i'm seeing it as an investment!

I should be getting my Christmas savings fund paid into my account tomorrow so i'd like to stash the funds away and allocate them properly to get the rest of my family done.

As usual, chaos prevails! But i'm fighting the good fight, so that it doesn't pull me under.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3554.32 £250.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4829.43 £245 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £12,369.24 (£2,631.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,752 | Total debt paid: £3,080 (13%)
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,089 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Well done JoJo! I was going to mention that if those bites are still itching - try taking an over the counter hay fever tablet like cetirizine hydrochloride (Piriteze is a brand name) - it will help with the reaction to the mozzie poison and reduce your sensitivity to it. And if you take it mid-evening there is no itchy overnight interruption and no possibility of drowsiness. Works for me!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Nov 17, 6:57 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 10,270 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad you enjoyed your holiday. Asia! How exciting, although the bites are not nice
    You seem to have hit the ground running on your return.
    Well done on your NSD and on completing your 'making a difference' list.
    I have been trying to do 'making a difference' stuff too such as boring stuff like checking on pension planning and applying for PPI. Thanks for the reminder as I should start a new list. Maybe 4 is a good number of things to work towards. What about 1 'making a difference' thing per week, so setting a goal of 4 a month?
    Have a nice evening
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,475
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Nov 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thanks Suffolk Lass - I ended up going to the doctors (well, i was there with my 2 year old anyway for his flu vaccine) so i got some anti biotic cream, some calamine lotion, some antihistimines and some other kind of super strength bite cream. Thankfully the legs are a lot better, getting there.

DIA - I think 4 things per month is a good place to start, for sure. One per week with a bit of give.

I'll have a think today and post my ideas!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 15th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Things to make a difference
    Since I completed my last lot, I suppose it's time to set some new things that I can do to make a difference.
    1. My house is turning into a cluttered mess and I know it's because I just don't have time to dedicate to keeping it the way that I want it to. So action 1 is to declutter the shelf that holds my jeans/ trousers. I generally only wear one of the top 5 pairs on the pile and just recycle them so i'm pretty sure i can get rid of a lot. How will this make a difference? It's two fold - i'll have more space on that shelf is the first, and second Women's Aid will benefit from the items that I get rid of.
    2. Sort out and pack away all holiday clothes somewhere that is not the end of my bed. I'm fed up of moving them on to my bed to sort out then moving them back to the floor when I go to bed. the problem is not putting them away, it's that I don't have a place for them at the moment, so part of this task will involve thinking and the other part will involve doing.
    3. This is a big one! I want to make a start on making the cupboard space in our house more efficient - we have three massive cupboards upstairs (two in each child's bedroom and one in the spare room) and stuff just gets chucked in there. I want to maximise the space of (at least) one of those cupboards in the next four weeks.
    4. This is one for the heart. I want to spend more time with my grandparents. This is perhaps an ongoing challenge, but this weekend i want to go down and spend some quality time with them and the kids. It's far too easy to put off a visit because I'm too busy but they're in their 80s now and we're lucky to still have them around so i want to make the most of it. How wil this make a difference? It'll make me happy, it'll make them happy to have company and it'll make hte kids happy as they love going to visit (and getting an unlimited supply of biscuits!).

Wow - that was quite the list. I'm confident that i'll be able to attach some of these over the next couple of weeks while juggling all the day to day stuff. It won't be easy but making a difference really is important to break up the mundane list of stuff that has to be done.

DIA - i hope this gives you some food for thought to set up your own list if you haven't already

Happy Wednesday everyone!

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Nov 17, 6:50 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,089 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Good list! I think that your last bullet is what I need to pay attention to, but in respect of my Mum, not grandparents. I think my Mum may be put on a train in Scotland on a different route to normal, so I can collect her from a non-London Station between my Sister and me. This was she does not have the changing overheads or bags to carry. I am going to try and take a full fortnight off at Christmas so I can spend time with her. Good nudge!

How are your C-word plans coming along? - your fund was paying out wasn't it?
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 22nd Nov 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    That sounds wonderful having a full fortnight off at Christmas - my husband and I are doing the same and i can't wait to just have time to hang out with the kids, the family and just generally please ourselves (bar the odd couple of days of festivities, of course!). It's the only time our works both properly close down and we can switch off - other times I'm still checking emails or worrying about something. I'm glad you'll have the time to spend with your mum and that you've worked out a travel plan for minimal disruption for her.

The C-word plans are coming along great, thanks! My fund paid out and I managed to get a good few ticks off my list Still a few things to get but the kids are done (and I mean, DONE!) and the rest of the family, i either have their gifts or I know what I'm getting them and just need to order it. I'm hoping that Friday or 'cyber Monday' will provide me with suitable discounts on the things I need to get. I really grudge paying full price for things these days!

In terms of plans, i'm really looking forward to not only the time off, but we have lots of things going on so although it will be chaotic, it'll be nice. We'll have my son's 5th birthday and his party in among all the festivities, breakfast with Santa, light switch on next weekend with a reindeer parade...and I'm planning to spend some time really soon with the kids making Christmas cards for the close family.

I think we may have spoken about Christmas cards before - they mean a lot to some, but they are just a waste of time and money for others. This year, it's hand made cards by the kids, so a win-win for us. A fun activity for the kids and a cheaper alternative for me

How are your festive plans coming along?

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 22nd Nov 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Exercising the body and mind
    I'm not much of an exercise queen - i'll confess!

I much prefer, particularly in this weather, to curl up with a blanket on the couch and watch Netflix with my husband after the kids have gone to bed. And, to be honest, I'm so time poor that exercise just doesn't make the cut.

Last week, a friend of mine asked me to accompany her to a fitness class so she wasn't there on her own (social anxiety) so I did. I actually really enjoyed it and even though I was so sore for about four days afterwards, I really enjoyed it! I went back last night and for the first time in a long time, I felt refreshed (ish) when I woke up, felt like I had more energy, felt like I had more productivity while at work today.

I'm not sure if it's psychological, but either way i'll take it! The local gym that she attends is lovely and really reasonably priced so i've decided to try to make a habit of it to see if i can keep this up! I'm off to Yoga tonight and Body Pump tomorrow night

Despite the time of year, i'm feeling optimistic about trying to regain control of my energy levels and motivation!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 23rd Nov 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Bargains of the day - boots for my mum's birthday were £89 and I got them for £44. And a coat for her Christmas from Principles which was £59...I paid £29! Very pleased with these bargains In the last few years I've cut back on my spends for presents but my parents have helped us so much this year in terms of the kids and supporting me when I'm travelling with my new job that I want to treat them and show them my appreciation.

Debenhams Black Friday 'week' is my friend!

I'm nearing the end of my Christmas shopping list, which is wonderful! Just Dad, BIL and Aunt's birthday to sort out now.

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 23rd Nov 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,089 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I'm not much of an exercise queen - i'll confess!

I much prefer, particularly in this weather, to curl up with a blanket on the couch and watch Netflix with my husband after the kids have gone to bed. And, to be honest, I'm so time poor that exercise just doesn't make the cut.

Last week, a friend of mine asked me to accompany her to a fitness class so she wasn't there on her own (social anxiety) so I did. I actually really enjoyed it and even though I was so sore for about four days afterwards, I really enjoyed it! I went back last night and for the first time in a long time, I felt refreshed (ish) when I woke up, felt like I had more energy, felt like I had more productivity while at work today.

I'm not sure if it's psychological, but either way i'll take it! The local gym that she attends is lovely and really reasonably priced so i've decided to try to make a habit of it to see if i can keep this up! I'm off to Yoga tonight and Body Pump tomorrow night

Despite the time of year, i'm feeling optimistic about trying to regain control of my energy levels and motivation!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    I can reinforce what you are saying - we got into the habit of swimming and took a yoga class (with the bendiest man in the Universe!) while away in the summer and have signed up locally for a weekly yoga class and a weekly swim. We both feel so much better, trimmer and fitter. Energy levels have soared for my DH (thank goodness) and his dodgy knee is coping. Highly recommended. The more we do, the more we can fit in.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 23rd Nov 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,089 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

I think we may have spoken about Christmas cards before - they mean a lot to some, but they are just a waste of time and money for others. This year, it's hand made cards by the kids, so a win-win for us. A fun activity for the kids and a cheaper alternative for me

How are your festive plans coming along?
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    No time for handmade cards here, but I have bought some - just need the time window to write them. I believe we have nine for Christmas dinner this year and I will order a turkey this weekend. I am going to ask my aunt to provide a small gammon joint cooked in honey and mustard and I know her daughter will make a dessert. I have made five Christmas cakes but I should have made 6 so may still need to make another - maybe a boiled fruit one as a gift for my friend.

My immediate concern is the Village craft fair and coffee morning next Saturday - so much prep to do! I'm not crafty but am making jars (Douwe Herbert's) with a recipe and the ingredients in and a Christmas fabric and bow to sell at our made in the village stall, and I shall make some shortbread and fudge too. I am running a table sale where we take 40% commission on sales - not sure how that will go but I have made up some cake stands (sourced the bits on-line and bought pretty charity shop plates) - I do hope they go! Sort of e-Bay in person. Let's see. Not too many presents to buy these days but I will treat our son and DH, and I have to do a secret santa for my hat-pick from my social group - I hope she likes what I plan - something treat-like with a funny thing. And something for my lovely Mum.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 29th Nov 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    i posted a reply to you this morning Suffolk Lass but there was an error and I lost my post I'm sorry this one isn't as thoughtful, but it sounds like you're a busy bee. Try to enjoy the creativity, however hard it is to come by!

I don't have much time to spend on here these days, but I'm desperately trying to keep on top of things in work, life, social...all of it is pretty busy. I'm never really in one place for very long at the minute but I'm getting there.

Finances are still on track.

Holiday payments are on track.

Savings are looking sparse, but husband is owed about £800 in from outstanding jobs that will be completed within the next week or two (he's bought all the materials, hence why savings are low) so that should be replenished soon.

In hideous news, the service is being done on our car tomorrow... £319!! I almost choked when they told me. It's because it's the manufacturer service and it's a major service...and our car is a diesel... jeez. I mean, we have the cash there but it's just a horrendous cost to bear so close to Christmas.

I do only have two Christmas presents and some chocolates to buy though! RESULT!

We are away this weekend but we will unlikely spend much money as we're being catered for at a friend of my mum's (will probably take her some wine and chocolates) and will spend most of our time outside exploring providing it's not heavy rain. We can cope with a little rain and the cold.

Hope everyone is doing well and being nicely MSE?

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 30th Nov 17, 6:08 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,089 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I love the casual line "Finances are on track!" - when you have a moment (possibly meeting yourself coming back the other way!), you really must go back and browse some of your earlier posts! phenomenal progress girl!

We have got a broken pump on the central heating boiler and the whole system has to be drained down to replace it. No heating except the range and a couple of electric toddlers in the bathroom and study and a log burner in the sitting room. We are managing but it's not great! As you say, the unexpected expense is not great but I do have it in the emergency pot. Look after yourself!
    • helsbell
    • By helsbell 30th Nov 17, 7:23 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    helsbell
    a couple of electric toddlers in the bathroom
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    I've always known there must be a way to harness all that energy
    SPC 11, No. 062

August 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 DFD November 2020
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 30th Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Haha Helsbell - that made me chuckle! If only my kids' energy could be harnessed for heating, we'd probably need to invest in air conditioning

Suffolk Lass, sorry to hear about your central heating - there's always something needing fixing isn't there? At least you have the cash in your emergency pot to cover it. Will you be able to get it fixed soon? I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are but where I am was -3 this morning, so i wouldn't like to be without heating for long.

Today
    I feel positive today - I still have a lot on but I managed to throw together a Cuban Stew for dinner tonight (i.e. browned the steaks and shoved everything into the slow cooker!) and put a washing on before I left the house this morning. Score! I was running around like a maniac throwing things into the pot but at least it's done right? We need to pick up the kids after work then go straight to pick up my car, so will be around 6.30 when we get home so i needed something quick to give the kids dinner. I'll just boil up some rice and dinner will be served.

I made a slimming world lasagne for dinner last night which was surprisingly tasty, so i have the leftovers from that for lunch today too. It looks like my only spends for today will be the train this morning (£6.40) and the car's service (£319...).

Accounts
    After my hideous encounter with the horrendous service cost this week, I've been wondering to myself whether I should be being more creative with my savings accounts. Maybe I should have one for annual payments (like car insurance - although we pay monthly now, it'd be good to just do it annually, MOTs, services etc on the cars)

I do already have a bills account, spending account, savings account, holiday savings account, then three kids savings accounts (one each for my son and one for my nephew). I keep thinking that's more than enough to contend with on one internet banking platform, but maybe it'd help me to manage funds a bit easier for different things? I'm not interested in having any more bank cards as such, just savings accounts that I can transfer out when we need to pay said thing.

Anyone have any thoughts? Will my bank let me have that many accounts? Is it confusing or a lot clearer? Does anyone have any experience of this?

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 1st Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Ranting and raving
    Well, after all my ranting and raving about the cost of the service (did i mention it was £319!?!?), I got my mother in law to come and look after the kids, got my husband to follow me up to the dealership, and dropped the car off so he could bring me home. The service was booked for yesterday.

So by the time i was heading home on the train I hadn't heard from them to say it had been completed or anything, so I thought that was odd and tried to call them. It rang out a few times so i just got my husband to pick me up, then pick both the kids up from their respective childcare and headed up there.

When I arrived, the receptionist couldn't find my details etc, but I'd noticed that my car was still parked exactly where I found it! She had another look and she found my keys exactly where she'd left them too, the service guys hadn't collected them, nor had they serviced my car!

FUMING is not even the word. I had to get a taxi yesterday to get the kids to school and nursery as well as all the upheaval of trying to get the car there and back so i was NOT pleased.

I took my car away last night as I need it for this weekend as we're going away but was told to call back and book it in again when I'm back

Cue a phone call half an hour ago from the service manager...

Apologising profusely, telling me they'd make it up to me etc.

He has agreed to give me a "substantial" discount on the service (although I didn't ask exactly how much) and said that next week when I'm working from home, they'll pick it up from my house and drop it back off to me

I'm satisfied with that!

Still annoyed about all the inconvenience but as long as they do what they said they'll do, i'm satisfied with some money off and not having to faff about with getting the car up there and back.

Who wants to guess whether they'll deliver on their promise or not? Do they ever?

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    A lovely weekend
    Positives
    • Spent a lovely weekend away with the kids, were treated to some lovely dinner and drinks by family friends at their lovely home and had a smashing, relaxing time
    • Bought three new Christmas decorations out of a beautiful little independent gift shop. I'm so excited about them!
    • There is word that we'll be getting a bonus this year from my company - I have no clue how much or how it's worked out, but any bonus is a bonus (excuse the pun!) so i'll look forward to hearing more about that.
    • I just realised that the council tax free months are approaching again, which will be a nice £480 over the two months that we can put into the savings or put towards our family holiday in March.
    • I spent some quality time with the kids on the beach yesterday (despite it being a mere 2 degrees C) and they had the time of their lives
    • Managed to get caught up on all my washing last night after coming back from our weekend away
    • I'm getting a discount on my ridiculously expensive service
    • After being away all weekend and getting back late last night, i'd normally just let this week run away with us in terms of shopping etc. Instead, i've put in an online shopping order, done a meal plan and it'll be arriving on Tuesday morning while i'm working from home. I feel like this is a complete win compared to what I'd normally do!

Negatives
    • I have a work deadline in less than two weeks and I'm super busy trying to get everything prepared for it - I could do without it! The stress doesn't do much for my moods!
    • I've woken up feeling really under the weather - I think the cold is heading my way as my throat is red raw and so sore
    • We are still waiting on a significant portion of our savings to be replenished with jobs that my husband is getting finished. One was finished about 6 weeks ago and still hasn't paid. He's good for it- he can't hide as we know him - but it's still frustrating and worrying seeing our savings account looking so low.
    • I just had a call from the school to say my son has broken his glasses today - they were knocked off his face and have snapped in two! Just called the optician and they should be able to replace them by the end of the week

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Overview
    I normally do a debt overview at the end of every month, but I realised my signature was pretty out of date so i started tinkering with the figures and was pretty pleased with what I found.

Since we added to the debt for home improvements in July, I restarted our debt counter, even though I've been doing this since Jan/ Feb this year. Since then, I've paid off over £3k of debt in 5 months so i'm so pleased with how those figures are looking. Obviously, we still have a long way to go to get it cleared (we're close to dropping through the £20k barrier into the teens) but I'm feeling good about progress made.

Particularly so, because although we're cutting back in many ways and making choices differently, we are still living our lives and enjoying ourselves. I have still booked a family holiday for next year and we are still taking the kids to see Santa etc.

I do feel like rather than just splurging all the time and looking cluelessly at my bank account wondering who on earth stole all my money, I'm spending money where it matters to us as a family and saving in other areas. I feel like that's a wise place to be and although we could cut back way more and put our lives on hold, I'm not sure we're willing to do that while our debt is manageably being paid off.

Of course at some point next year i'm going to have to look a bit more closely at over payments to bring the debt down a bit more quickly, but things are opening up for us a bit next year too. For example, our youngest child will start to get 15 hours funded nursery place per week which will save us £175p/m for 9 out of 12 months, that's a total of £1,575 available to overpay or fire into savings that we don't have available now.

This year has been so much about learning - picking up tips from others, learning lessons from others' mistakes through reading on here and generally trying to figure out how the hell we can turn our spending habits around for the better. We're definitely not 100% there and we are still prone to the odd splurge but I think we've made great progress this year despite all of our commitments (probably £5k+ worth of commitments and we didn't even have a family holiday!!!). Next year will hold less commitments (unless you count a big birthday of mine and our family holiday) so we can be a bit more focused on applying extra money to savings/ debt repayments.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Dec 17, 4:37 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Are your sons glasses covered by the NHS thing? I wish my boy would look after his, it takes a week to get a new pair here and he has to go with me twice to sort it.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I think they are covered by the NHS - the optician said that I just need to pay £15 to replace the frames (they aren't NHS frames) and that's all. They should be ready by the end of the week hopefully. My husband managed to superglue them together (the school had sellotaped them up! haha) and they're doing ok so far, but I've packed his old glasses (which are an old prescription) in his bag just in case they fall apart again.

It is a pest, but hopefully it's sorted soon.

Today needs to be a day of productiveness for me! I have a LOT to do! It's my son's birthday party on Sunday so i need to get party bags made up, get out to pick up a cake, pick up two parcels from two shops in two towns... and get the hideous amount of work done that I need to do.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

1,465Users online

Martin's Twitter