Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,886Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 36
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 2nd Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I'm not sure how you do so much really. You seem to keep going whereas I go into meltdown mode on a regular basis.
    Good to hear the wedding is finally approaching after all the planning.
    Have a good week
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I definitely have semi-regular meltdowns DIA. I do keep on going, but my husband regularly bears the brunt of my meltdown/ tears when I feel like it's all getting too much! You're not alone.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 2nd Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Work is also beginning to hot up again - I am juggling three massive projects at the moment as well as keeping up with my day job and that'll be ticking along until Christmas now. I'm really looking forward to two weeks off at Christmas, uninterrupted and where I can just completely forget about work!

I haven't had a proper break all year, just a few long weekends here and there, so i think we need it.

I just realised that I really need to update my signature too! I'll add it to the list...

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 3rd Oct 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    A little £48 spend on our weekly shop today in Aldi - got plenty of fruit, some fresh meat and a few bits that we needed to stock up on.

Fajitas is on the menu tonight and my little guy is excited to help me do the chopping of the vegetables. He's been watching TV since coming in from school to enable me to continue working in peace so it'll be nice to do something together.

My husband is working again this weekend (sad face) but it'll mean another nice boost for our savings - potentially an extra £300 after tax. It was so lovely to have him for the whole weekend last weekend though. Once his next few O/T shifts are out of the way, i think he's going to try to dial it down a bit for the next month or two. He's worked all year without much of a break so he deserves it.

I really need to have a think about the things that I'd like to achieve in the house, beyond just keeping it clean and tidy. Things like sorting out the mountain of paperwork into folders and getting rid of really old paperwork, clearing out the built in wardrobe in the spare room and making it function properly as storage, getting proper memory boxes for the kids that are accessible rather than just little cardboard boxes that are falling apart, sort through all the kids toys and have a clear out... that sort of thing.

In the evenings I just collapse in front of the TV for an hour or so after the kids are in bed and prep is done for the next day, but even if i could just achieve some progress on things like the above one evening per week, i think that'd make a difference.

I'll think on that and see if i can motivate myself to make a plan that i'm likely to stick to.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 9,025 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I really need to have a think about the things that I'd like to achieve in the house, beyond just keeping it clean and tidy. Things like sorting out the mountain of paperwork into folders and getting rid of really old paperwork, clearing out the built in wardrobe in the spare room and making it function properly as storage, getting proper memory boxes for the kids that are accessible rather than just little cardboard boxes that are falling apart, sort through all the kids toys and have a clear out... that sort of thing.

In the evenings I just collapse in front of the TV for an hour or so after the kids are in bed and prep is done for the next day, but even if i could just achieve some progress on things like the above one evening per week, i think that'd make a difference.

I'll think on that and see if i can motivate myself to make a plan that i'm likely to stick to.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    I totally relate JoJo. I would like to do the same. I was doing well on setting goals a while back but I seem to have let that go. thanks for reminding me to get back on it
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Glad I could be of some help DIA - maybe we can motivate each other to set some goals and follow through with them?

I think i need to clear my head in the first instance to figure out what I'd like to do. Right now, my head is just spinning with everything that's going on.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 9,025 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I think we concentrate on the 9-5 but not so much on the 5-9 when it comes to achieving things. I am going to start thinking about what I can achieve in the 5-9. Maybe depending on our day we can start to think about one ‘make a difference’ goal for the day that is outside of the day to day stuff we do anyway?

You have lots on but I am thinking of starting this from next week. Are you up for it? Or do you have another idea?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    That sounds like a great idea! I think i'd like to define what 'thing that makes a difference' means to keep me right.

It's interesting to hear you talk about the 5-9 slot - that's my busiest time (getting home from work, picking up kids, making dinner, cleaning up, bathtime, story time, bed) but for me, i think the incentive is to get these things done promptly (i.e. kids in bed by 7.30) then make sure I do at least one thing that makes a difference before plonking down on the couch.

I'll need to think on about this, but I'd like to get started next week! I need to do something to get the motivation flowing

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow - another week has begun and I feel like I have no clue where this year has disappeared to! Time flies when you're having fun, and all that

Another busy weekend has passed and I'm pretty pleased as it seems that the spate of birthday parties that we've had lately (I think six 5th birthday parties in a month) has now passed. I'm hopeful that we won't have another one until next month now! I do, however, need to buy a birthday present for my BIL and SIL pronto and I have no clue what to buy. I'll think of something I'm sure!

Extra pennies
    My husband was working overtime all weekend so we should have around £300 to push into the savings account from there. When we get his payslip, i'll do some more calculations, as the account is looking pretty healthy and I might be able to siphon some more off for savings. No promises, but it's looking reasonable

Christmas (sorry Scott W...)
    I managed to pick up another couple of Christmas presents at the weekend for the kids - just a few small bits that I knew they'd like. Now i'm planning to be fairly restrained and just wait to hear from them what they'd like to ask Santa for. My eldest is getting to that age now where he's less easily swayed so I don't want to end up peaking too early and getting the wrong thing. His birthday is just before Christmas too, so it's more presents to think about.

Birthday party
    I've just booked the little guy's party which isn't going to be cheap but it is budgeted for and we have savings to cover it. I'm trying to be clever about party bags this year (last year we did a christmas book and a bag of sweets) - rather than the usual party bag tat I managed to get a selection of Christmas activity packs (colouring in, pencils, stickers etc) for £18.50 for 25 from The Works. I'll just supplement those with a small bag of sweets each and it'll be something for the kids to do in the last couple of weeks before Christmas. I'm so glad to have found a bargain (and a discount code!) to sort this at a reasonable price!

Disorganised
    The last few weekends my husband has been working all weekend and I've been run riot with the kids taking them to clubs, playdates, birthday parties etc and it's all catching up on me now! I was frantically doing washings and hanging them over radiators last night to get uniform sorted for this week, I didn't get to Aldi yesterday so will need to do it tonight for the weekly shop and everything else just seems to be in the same place that it was on Friday. It's irritating, as i'd like to be more on top of things and be able to do more with the kids than just driving them to and from everything.

Maybe next weekend??

To do at lunchtime
    I'm going to check out the Jamie Oliver Mexican soup recipe that was recommended to me (by DIA maybe?) months ago and that I've yet to make. I'm then going to write myself a proper shopping list! Wish me luck!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Prolific seems to have picked up a bit - I haven't been on much in the last week but this morning I've jumped from about 15p in there to £5.85 cleared and £2.34 pending so it's moving a bit.

I really need to get my finger out with OnePoll and Valued Opinions - i just need one more survey of at least 40p to clear a £10 voucher and I'm sure i'm 3/4 of the way there with OnePolll so it'd be nice to get a payout from that by Christmas!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 9,025 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done on the activity packs. Planning ahead saves so much money doesn't it?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 9,025 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    That sounds like a great idea! I think i'd like to define what 'thing that makes a difference' means to keep me right.

It's interesting to hear you talk about the 5-9 slot - that's my busiest time (getting home from work, picking up kids, making dinner, cleaning up, bathtime, story time, bed) but for me, i think the incentive is to get these things done promptly (i.e. kids in bed by 7.30) then make sure I do at least one thing that makes a difference before plonking down on the couch.

I'll need to think on about this, but I'd like to get started next week! I need to do something to get the motivation flowing
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    I agree with the busyness but I was thinking about doing a thing that makes a difference. Parsnip head submitting a PPI claim form is an example. Sometimes I think I do the rinse and repeat stuff but not the bigger stuff that will make a bigger difference in the long run...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 17,186 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I agree with the busyness but I was thinking about doing a thing that makes a difference. Parsnip head submitting a PPI claim form is an example. Sometimes I think I do the rinse and repeat stuff but not the bigger stuff that will make a bigger difference in the long run...
    That is such good advice. I know I have some Lloyds Bank things to do something with and I just keep putting it off.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8833.96 saved (80.31%) after September - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 70.68/75% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 10th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Ooh, when you put it like that I have 101 things on my mental list that I keep putting off.

Here's a short list to begin with:
    1. Sort out tyre pressure as I have an alert in my car to say they're slightly low (keep putting this off because I've never actually done it before in over 10 years of driving...the shame...)
    2. Bring down ALL paperwork from the spare room, sort through it all, throw out all old stuff and put together folders of stuff to keep
    1. Clean make up brushes (I haven't done this in TOO long and keep thikning about it but not doing it)

Do you think these make good 'make a difference' tasks?

I'm really pleased with the activity packs - I picked them up today to avoid paying £3.50 postage and I had a shirt to take back to the shop next door for my husband. I'm hoping that if I'm clever, i might be able to do sweets for £10 max so less than £1.20 per party bag Wish me luck!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 9,025 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Great you saved on postage. Total bargain on the party bags.

OK, JoJo good tasks there. I will popping in to see if you do them
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Oct 17, 5:34 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Well done on the party bags! I randomly cleaned my make up brushes yesterday - always alarming when you see how much make up is left on them (and therefore, presumably, how many germs off my own face along with it. Nice).
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 11th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Rachel24

This is such a great idea. I struggle after work and just do tea’s, washing, dishes and just general tidiness then plonk myself on the sofa. Going to try and do this too, just one thing to make a difference.
    • monz
    • By monz 11th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 7,961 Thanks
    monz
    This has gave me reminder... clean mine tonight :P xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £5,971.23/10,000
    mums xmas vouchers boots 50/50 sisters xmas vouchers topshop 30/30 Dads xmas voucher amazon (surveys) 0/30 (£15 pending)
    holiday - £237.81/1064.72
    Australia 2019 - /5000
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Great you saved on postage. Total bargain on the party bags.

OK, JoJo good tasks there. I will popping in to see if you do them
    Excellent - i'll keep you to that! I need someone to hold me accountable

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Well done on the party bags! I randomly cleaned my make up brushes yesterday - always alarming when you see how much make up is left on them (and therefore, presumably, how many germs off my own face along with it. Nice).
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    I know, it's a horrid thought, isn't it? Not sure how often you should it but the fact that I can't remember the last time i did speaks volumes. Must be something in the air!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    This is such a great idea. I struggle after work and just do tea’s, washing, dishes and just general tidiness then plonk myself on the sofa. Going to try and do this too, just one thing to make a difference.
    Originally posted by Rachel24
    Please do join us on our mission to make a difference, no matter how small! Even just coming up with a small list is the start of making it happen. I struggle to do things in the evening because it's just like a race to get the kids to bed and collapse in a heap but an extra 15 minutes or so to make a difference won't kill me.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin