Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,192Posts
    • 3,699Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 34
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 30th Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I'm 60p away from the £20 cash out in Prolific and as soon as it exceeds £20 i'll cash out to circle then get it into my holiday savings account. Getting there!

My driveway is coming along nicely - most of the blocks are done now so it's just the finishing touches that'll be worked on tomorrow then we'll be done! I can't wait to get it finished - the constant noise and disruption is irritating but I'm just glad it's not IN the house! That annoyance will come when we get the bathroom/ kitchen...anything else done in the years to come. I'm so excited to see how it looks

Pay day is here and I have done my budget for the month. I have allowed us extra funds for spending this month due to all the stuff surrounding my sister's wedding. I know we'll go out for dinner the night before and have a few drinks, I've got a spray tan and nails to pay for and other bits and bobs that I haven't accounted for in the savings that I've put aside for this, so I want to make sure that we don't start eating into our bills money willy nilly when other things come up.

I'm doing pretty well at getting through my to-do lists and have been productive the last few weeks! I need to be as i have wedding stuff coming out my ears!

Got a nice yellow sticker bargain in Asda at the weekend too - two large trays of bbq chicken wings from the butcher counter for less than £2.50.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 31st Aug 17, 11:13 AM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Today is going to be ht craziest of days! It's the first day of dropping my son at breakfast club, then dropping my other son at nursery, THEN going for the train to work. I'm now in work and I feel like I've done a shift already!

After work i need to pick up DS2, take him home and drop him with my husband, go for a bridesmaid dress fitting, then go to Asda for a couple of last minute bits, then go to my mum's to do final hen weekend preparations, then go home and get a shower and dry my hair, pack my stuff for tomorrow and prepare the kids' nursery and school stuff for the next morning. Wow.

I have no idea if i'll get through it all but i'll give it a go!

Cashed out £20.75 from my PA account last night and still waiting on it getting to my Circle account. Once it's in the bank, my holiday fund will stand at £157 Since I cashed out last night, another £4.50 has become available and I still have £1.50 to clear.

It's a beautiful day here which always helps with the mood.

I made a big pot of chilli on my lunchbreak yesterday (I was working from home) and a large tray of rice, so i portioned them up and they're now in the freezer - 4 portions with rice, three portions without rice. My husband doesn't like chilli and i made it too spicy for the kids, so that'll do me for quite a few work lunches over the next month or so.

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 31st Aug 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 16,849 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Snap! I also made a chilli yesterday morning as I was making my breakfast and lunch - all frozen and store-cupboard ingredients! We are having the rest of ours tonight as the freezers are stuffed with garden fruit and veg in trays freezing before I bag them up.

My word your list of things to do today puts me to shame!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • monz
    • By monz 1st Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 7,644 Thanks
    monz
    I love chilli with wholewheat pitta bread. Amazing and also less carbs and healthier ooo I now want chilli :P xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £5,781.18/10,000
    mums xmas vouchers boots (surveys ) 50/50
    sisters xmas vouchers topshop (surveys ) 0/30
    Dads xmas voucher amazon (surveys) 0/25
    Australia 2019 - /5000
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 1st Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 16,849 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I love chilli with wholewheat pitta bread. Amazing and also less carbs and healthier ooo I now want chilli :P xx
    Originally posted by monz
    Just like cheese on toast - see one, want one and all that!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Glad we all have chili on the brain! I ate some out the freezer for lunch today (defrosted and heated through, of course...frozen wouldn't be good on the old gnashers!).

Money Money Money
    Today has been all about money! I went to the bank to take the cash out to pay for our driveway, but need to go back tomorrow to take out more as the amount I needed exceeded the maximum I was allowed to take out.

Then I took my husband's leftover currency back to the travel agent, so got £74 back for that.

I then sorted out all my new payments for the Tax Free Childcare scheme which was a faff, but I got there eventually.

It's been pretty productive today because I also have:
    1. Done two washings
    2. Hung both washings up
    3. Made an optician's appointment
    4. Washed, dried and put away dishes
    5. Picked up some holiday brochures
    6. Gone through a bag of holiday clothes that my sister gave me, kept some and tossed the rest.

All around getting my work done!

Now i just need to make sure I'm as productive as this tomorrow.

I do need to look at my accounts and budget actually to see how I'm getting on so far this month.

• Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 5th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Love reading your lists JoJo!
    I was wondering how are you getting on with the cleaner? I'd love one xx
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Love reading your lists JoJo!
    I was wondering how are you getting on with the cleaner? I'd love one xx
    Originally posted by Rachel24
    Oh my goodness, Rachel, I LOVE HER! It's the best money that I think i've ever spent! Although, to be honest, I'd love her to come every week so i'll see how she gets on for the next wee while then perhaps up her hours.

She does two hours every fortnight on a Friday at £9 per hour (£18 total) and cleans my kitchen, downstairs toilet, bathroom, living room and all downstairs floors swept and mopped. She's fantastic and I'm so pleased I just went for it (my husband wasn't keen but I overruled...).

I'm living off my lists right now - i'm being pretty productive so i'm scared to change tactics!

On today's list so far:

1. Go to bank for the rest of the driveway cash
    2. Pick up the car seats that I ordered for click and collect at Tesco
    3. Go to Aldi for fruit and yoghurts
    4. Do 2x washings
    5. Hang up both washings
    6. Put clothes away - me, husband and kids
    7. Hoover all downstairs floors
    8. Prep dinner
    9. Do work!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting organized!
    Itís been a mission for me to attempt to get myself organized in the last few weeks Ė my brain just seems full at all times right now and itís making me ill. Iím run down and have a cold and this always happens when I have too much on my plate and try to do everything, while simultaneously achieving nothing.

Steps taken to get organized:
    1.Bought a diary (Poundland Ė MSE!) and have populated it with all school holidays and dates for the diary
    2.Reflected those in the family calendar in the kitchen
    3.Started operating a daily list when Iím working from home to maximize my non-screen time
    4.Preparing as much as I can the night before (especially the kidsí stuff for school and nursery)
    5.Giving myself a kick up the butt when I feel like putting something off Ė I got so much done earlier this week by doing this.

Itís hardly radical stuff, but itís amazing how just implementing a few simple things again can really help to get stuff done.

The next three weeks are going to be absolutely chaos between helping my sister with wedding prep, her fianc! working away pretty much until the wedding (so sheíll need extra help), my husband working all week and every weekend until the weddingÖtwo 30th birthdays, a hen nightÖ and Iíve probably forgotten another 500 things. Can you see why I so easily get overwhelmed?

Iíve taken some cold and flu stuff to try to shift this horrid cold but Iím still functional, so I should be thankful for that. I have a lot of time-sensitive projects on at work right now so now would NOT be a good time to be off sick. Plodding on through it.

List from yesterday:
    I managed to achieve everything off my list yesterday except hoovering the downstairs floors! Iím pretty pleased with that Ė normally Iíd feel overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to do so would just procrastinate until itís too late. That still happens sometimes, but Iím just trying to mitigate the severity of these!

Money
    Money-wise, not a lot has changed really. The current account is healthy enough, our spending account is still looking ok and the holiday fund is doing great considering Iíve not actually saved any proper money except survey money into it - £157/8! Itís still three weeks until pay day so nothing exciting to report at this point.

My husband sent away a load of documents to check out the status of PPI on our accounts, so itíll be interesting to hear from them. We might not have much owing, if anything, because most of the credit weíve had has been taken out after PPI laws came in, but itís worth checking things that we wouldnít have normally thought about like car finance (Iíve had umpteen in my 10 driving years) and finance for furniture etc.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 8,503 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    OMG you have so much going on just reading this makes my heart rate increase.

Make sure you take care of yourself. They are all nice things but the body registers stress and excitement in exactly the same way

Fingers crossed for a PPI pay out of some description
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    You're right - I do need to look after myself more, but to be honest I'm not sure how or when! Once I get everything done at home, I just collapse in a heap with a cup of tea for an hour before bed. I might have a bath tonight since my bath is all shiny and clean courtesy of my lovely cleaner

My list makes my heart rate increase too! I think I'm doing well to just be alive 3/4 through the busiest year of my life! I'm welcoming 2018 which will hold much less chaos, i hope.

• Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 7th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Rachel24
    God JoJo hearing your cleaner do all that sounds fantastic! I would love won as just find it so hard getting the time! I can see why you want her every week!
    I think your lists work well though 😊 It's encouraged me to make lists. Once the wedding is over at least things will get better! I got married earlier this year and it's just chaos the few weeks before!
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Yes, it had been rather stressful at times! My own wedding was 7 years ago this month and although it seems like a distant memory in ways, it is bringing a lot back to me

Yes, the cleaner is my idol! I actually asked her to come for an hour today even though she isn't meant to be in until next week because we've had tradesmen in and out of the house all week so the floors are a disaster.

Busy weekend ahead - I cannot stop committing to things!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 8,503 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I am interested in your cleaner too.
    Was she a personal recommendation or did you just get lucky?
    Did you draw up the list of things to do together?

I am seriously thinking of a cleaner once a fortnight for a few hours when I am debt free.
    You sound so much happier since she started.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    She was a personal recommendation but from someone who grew up with her and knows her family, not her cleaning abilities. It's hard to know who to trust but I warmed to her straight away and felt I could trust her! It also helped that she does an excellent job!

When she came round to visit, I told her I'd like 2 hours per fortnight to begin with and what my top priorities were (bathroom, downstairs loo, kitchen and all downstairs floors) then she said she'd definitely be able to do that in 2 hours. I told her if she had more time I'd like the Livingston dusted and floors done. First week she didn't get round to it but she was sussing out materials and where things lived. Since then she has managed to do it all.

Honestly, I just feel lighter knowing that once a fortnight my house is getting s good clean and I just need to focus on day to day stuff and the bedrooms.

One less thing to worry about when I have a hundred thoughts flying around my brain.

I'd highly recommend it!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Another week begins...
    This year has gone so quickly that I'm seriously struggling to get to grips with the fact that we're in the last phase of 2017! It's crazy! This year has totally wiped me out so i'm really looking forward to having a proper year of just chilling with the kids and trying not to do too much.

The weekend was insane and it's only going to get busier this weekend coming!

We did spend a bit of money (treated MIL to a Chinese on Friday night and spent some money getting DS1 set up for his new hobby - Tae Kwon Do which cost me £75!).

In good news, though, I did a proper meal plan this week, did all my shopping last night AND prepped lunch for today It's nice feeling organised in at least one aspect of life!

My new diary is proving a hit - I've been checking it every day and adding all plans and reminders in there to keep me on the straight and narrow. If it's not in the diary, it won't get done!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 8,503 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    My new diary is proving a hit - I've been checking it every day and adding all plans and reminders in there to keep me on the straight and narrow. If it's not in the diary, it won't get done!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    I bullet journal and I love it. Same as you, if it isn't in the book it isn't happening
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I love the idea of a bullet journal but I'm worried I'd get all excited about it, spend ages setting it up (and ignoring the things that actually need done!) for it to become a novelty. I think i will keep it on the periphery and see how i get on. But I do LOVE the idea of bullet journaling...i think it's more about the new stationery than anything else!

My new driveway is looking absolutely wonderful! Every time i look out there, it just fills me with happiness that it's finally done after talking about it for so long This winter will be so much easier without hideous soggy grass to trod across to get the kids into the car and without a build up of water for another year that would undoubtedly continue damaging the house if we'd left it.

I have a LOT of work to get done this week but my head is entirely elsewhere with my sister's wedding being only two weeks away and the million and one other things that I'm committed to in the coming couple of weeks.

I've also got two work trips next month - three days in the US then when I return from that I have four days in between before I go to Asia for a week. There's a lot to think about for that too so i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the prospect of the next six weeks or so.

Money-wise, it's going ok. My husband gets paid again today so that'll make things look a bit healthier and i'll be able to transfer the remainder of the spends into our spending account for the month. We don't have any bills coming out this week so we'll look reasonably flush this week but after he's paid next week, we have our loan payment coming out which will wipe a fair chunk out. All budgeted and planned but I always feel a sense of 'we're doing well money-wise' then realise that the expensive week is coming which brings me back to reality.

Christmas
    I'm trying to get organised for Christmas too - I'm normally super organised by now and more than 50% done but this year being as crazy as it is, i've only bought a few little bits when I've seen them. I know I need to get my finger out and get organised, or at least start thinking about it, but I really don't know when I can schedule it into my brain! I might take a flick through the Smyth's catalogue over a coffee to give myself some food for thought.

I hate being disorganised at Christmas - our Decembers are jam packed full (8 family birthdays including my son, mum and nephew), son's birthday party, various Christmas days out, work is always chaos in the run up to the holidays and money is, of course, very carefully planned out.

At least this year we won't be hosting Christmas dinner - we did it last year on Christmas day and then two days later it was our turn to host the friends' Christmas dinner for 10 of us, so two big banquets in three days almost tipped me over the edge.

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 12th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Shhhhhhhhh re the C word its banned from being mentioned untill at least October/November lol
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £161.92 Survey Earnings YTD £435.18
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Under normal circumstances I'd agree Scott, but I just like to be organised! Eight birthdays in a month...the same month as the big C...with two small kids and a hideously large family...it's just the stuff that breakdowns are made of! I like to get it all done and then enjoy the magic with the kids

In future posts, i'll refer to it as 'the time of year that shall not be named...' especially for you Scott! Haha

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,475Posts Today

8,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin