Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,021Posts
    • 3,161Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 26
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 3rd Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    How is it Monday again?
    I feel like I blinked and the weekend was gone in a flash!

It was a very busy weekend though - graduations, birthday parties, visitors coming round, spending time with my friend who's going through a tough time... it was nice but my goodness, i'm already looking forward to next weekend!

July is here and I'm feeling the effects of a really expensive June. I think i might lift £100 from the savings to bring us back onto a relatively even keel until my husband gets paid again on 11th. All money from now until then is accounted for by start of the month bills and after I did the Aldi shopping this morning, there's around £3 in our spending account! We do still have our overdraft there if it was a complete emergency but I'm pleased to say that 1. I don't want to go near the overdraft again and 2. we have some savings there that can be tapped into to cover it.

My poor husband is under the weather with a horrid cough and what seems like the start of a flu bug so i'm hoping it doesn't come to anything more. I'd love to say he can rest up to get over it but he's working six days this week

My budget for this month doesn't look too bad as long as we can make it through this first week of skintness, then we can continue being careful to build up a wee buffer in the spending account.

Good things
    • It's only a week until our trip away and we have savings sitting there for the spending money - probably the first time I haven't worried about spending money
    • I only spent £39 on the weekly shop this week and the only thing we might need a top up of is bread and milk
    • I replied to FOUR birthday party invitations this morning that my DS1 has been invited to over the next six weeks. I declined one but the other three are good friends so that was a £26 spend in B&M earlier to cover the three gifts (suppose this fits under good and bad!)
    • The balance in my PayPal account from ebay sales is £69 and i have a few things finishing over the next couple of days

Bad things
    • I have the guilt about overspending last month
    • I fee like life is just so busy at the moment that I'm not sure where my head is at
    • I haven't added as much to ebay as I'd have liked so must do better!

Survey balances
    The balances are looking pretty healthy and I'm making progress on quite a few fronts, despite being screened out of at least 5 surveys on VO this morning when I'd answered quite a lot already!
    • Onepoll: £19.90/ £40
    • Crowdology: £8.72 / £5 (will keep this going for a bit to cash out vouchers for Christmas)
    • Valued Opinions: £14.75 / £15.50 (Will be doing these for Amazon vouchers for Christmas)
    • Prolific Academic: £ 25.60 / £5 (will keep this going for a bit to cash out PayPal for Christmas)

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Not a lot to report today, just plodding on really!

I balanced my books for June and sorted out my budget for July, only a few days late but better late than never! Although the next week will be tight, it's manageable if we watch what we're doing. After that, things will be a bit easier for the rest of the month.

In other good news, my husband received not one, not two, but THREE calls yesterday about extra work so he'll be going out to visit two of those this week to measure up and put together a price. I'm hoping they'll come off as they're good jobs that will be a great boost to the savings.

Good things:
    1. I got £20 cashback paid into my MBNA credit card this week for taking out the card

2. We are away for three days next week so will save on food costs, train travel and fuel for hubby's car (although we will of course be spending, but out of planned savings) so our spending account should remain fairly healthy.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Tax rebate!!
    Stop the press!!
    My husband got a letter today saying that he is owed a tax rebate!

Wait for it...

£22 exactly.

Not exactly groundbreaking but £22 better in our pocket.

Reasonable way to end a Tuesday

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Digging around pays off!
    You're probably sick to death of me bleating on about childcare - how much it costs, how much it skins us every month, how we will be paying less very soon etc.

WELL!

I know that the government was introducing an alternative to Childcare Vouchers but didn't know anything about it. Currently i pay the full £243 before tax so that I get the tax saving on that money and that's the maximum amount of vouchers that I can purchase.

WELL!

This new scheme, the Tax Free Childcare scheme, will save us a LOT more money. For every £8 that you put into the account, they pay £2 (so paying the tax effectively) and you're allowed to claim up to £500 per three months per child!

So this is how it works for me:

DS1 monthly after school costs
    £170.30 per month
    We pay £136.24 (80%)
    Govt pays £34.06 (20%)
    Overall in the three months, we're using £193.44 of the £500 allowance.

DS2 monthly childcare costs
    £796.88 per month
    We pay £637.50 (80%)
    Govt pays £159.38
    Overall in three months, we're using £478.14 of the £500 allowance.

So in monthly terms, instead of £967.18 for both kids' childcare bills, we'll be paying £773.74, saving us a total of £193.44 per month.

I honestly feel like this is too good to be true, but I'm going to run with it until such times as it's not true.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 7,528 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    JoJo, I was listening to radio 4 and that is my understanding too. So pleased for you
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,800
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Phew! Thank goodness I didn't just make it all up I was talking my husband through it last night and chatting through figures and I could tell by his face that he thinks I'm missing something. It will make a really great difference to us actually so I'm so pleased.

Just want to see it in action now to confirm that what I think is true and it will benefit us in the way I think it will.

Hooray! Finally something to help working parents out

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Today I forgot to bring my lunch to work... but I have a team meeting and lunch has been ordered in!

Luck is on my side today!

Should be a NSD today after all

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 16,078 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Phew! Thank goodness I didn't just make it all up I was talking my husband through it last night and chatting through figures and I could tell by his face that he thinks I'm missing something. It will make a really great difference to us actually so I'm so pleased.

Just want to see it in action now to confirm that what I think is true and it will benefit us in the way I think it will.

Hooray! Finally something to help working parents out
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    There was an interview on the radio this week about what nurseries are going to do because the amount the Government is allowing is not the same amount as the nurseries charge. Apparently it depends which local authority area you live in. Some are paying the difference and some are not. The interviewee explained that their LA was not paying and so they were having to ask the parents for a top up payment. You might want to check with your nursery/LA/Mumsnet forum to see what the situation is where you live.
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 06-07-2017 at 7:08 PM. Reason: typos
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 50.68/50% including stores after June
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 6th Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 6,902 Posts
    • 33,161 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Brilliant news re the extra work for OH and the childcare savings - well done
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    July '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [June 30%]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.07.17 02/100 ** LSDs Target 10 for July 01/10 **AFDs 12/25 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £110 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for July 03/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    There was an interview on the radio this week about what nurseries are going to do because the amount the Government is allowing is not the same amount as the nurseries charge. Apparently it depends which local authority area you live in. Some are paying the difference and some are not. The interviewee explained that their LA was not paying and so they were having to ask the parents for a top up payment. You might want to check with your nursery/LA/Mumsnet forum to see what the situation is where you live.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Yes, I've heard about that too Suffolklass, it sounds like a nightmare for the nurseries.

Thankfully (or not so...) for me, I'm in Scotland and we are not eligible for the increased 30 hour free childcare. We still just get the standard 15 hours as previous, I think it's only England that gets the 30 hours.

This new initiative just seems to be support with paying childcare costs rather than offering free spaces.

I spent £16k on childcare last year so I'm very much looking forward to #1 starting school next month and this tax free childcare coming in to play.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thank you Brittle! Feel like we are getting somewhere

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Jul 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 16,078 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Phew, that's a relief. I thought I should mention it as it is so disappointing to find out late that you won't get what you are hoping for. I am really pleased for you.

This is where Scotland is so much better than England. I got back from Scotland this evening, having spent a week with my Mum who is convalescing. She has had three visits from a District Nurse in that week, the occupational health people have been in three times with different support gadgets and then last night, when my nephew arrived to take over, we were chatting about his just completed degree at Glasgow Uni and of course he has no tuition debt, and has managed to support himself by holiday work and squirrelling away money where my Son in England has over £15,000 debt (including interest) from the one year he did before dropping out of an English University (before the fees increased this last time). Yes, you are fortunate to be in Scotland.
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 50.68/50% including stores after June
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Oh yes, there are many things to be thankful for - free prescriptions, no tuition fees, beautiful scenery! But of course, when paying £1.4k per month for childcare, what I wouldn't give for a slice of that 30 hour pie!

To be honest, I'm delighted with the new tax free childcare setup and it's made me completely forget about the other.

Yes. Student debt south of the border is extreme! I managed to get through university with a £2k student loan and paid my way the rest of the way working part time. The student loan is gone now and I really feel for those thst are burdened with tens of thousands.

Did you enjoy your week in Scotland?

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 7th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 16,078 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Yes thanks. My Mum is in a former mining town, surrounded by farmland in the low-lands. While I love the highlands scenery (and we have a week every year, tramping around) she lives in a really supportive community. She was discharged last Wednesday and the Minister has been in twice, and her friend has popped in every day to update her on the gossip and well-wishes; a real fillip for her recovery - that and four bouquets of flowers and 48 cards so far(!). I had never seen 20 blue-tits queuing on a washing line to get on the feeding nuts until this week!

It was lovely spending time with my Mum and seeing tangible signs of recovery.
    • monz
    • By monz 7th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    monz
    Aw so glad my boy is in school it was shocking what I had to pay for nursery!!! £669 after *government help* and then got £148 tax credits to help. Was horrendous! Thankfully in school now and my dad has retired helps me so much!!xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    Florida: 15th July 2017 save for spending $2,370 exchanged pre election: June to July savings after election £350/500
    house deposit £5,506.25/10,000
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Yes thanks. My Mum is in a former mining town, surrounded by farmland in the low-lands. While I love the highlands scenery (and we have a week every year, tramping around) she lives in a really supportive community. She was discharged last Wednesday and the Minister has been in twice, and her friend has popped in every day to update her on the gossip and well-wishes; a real fillip for her recovery - that and four bouquets of flowers and 48 cards so far(!). I had never seen 20 blue-tits queuing on a washing line to get on the feeding nuts until this week!

It was lovely spending time with my Mum and seeing tangible signs of recovery.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    That's so sweet - I love it when a community comes together when someone is in need. I hope your mum is getting stronger every day and recovering well.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Aw so glad my boy is in school it was shocking what I had to pay for nursery!!! £669 after *government help* and then got £148 tax credits to help. Was horrendous! Thankfully in school now and my dad has retired helps me so much!!xx
    Originally posted by monz
    It feels like daylight robbery, doesn't it? We don't qualify for Tax Credits and my youngest doesn't qualify for the 15 hours free for another year but it'll make such a difference to save a few hundred pounds when my eldest starts school.

For quite a while my whole wage was going to childcare

My folks won't be retiring for another 10-15 years so by that time the kids will be old enough to look after them

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Confession time
    Confession time
    We've had in our plans to get our driveway done this summer as a priority. We've been in our house almost three years and our front garden is very waterlogged and has potential to cause problems for the house due to poor drainage, us being at the bottom of a hill so all rainfall settles in our garden etc. Our rickety slabs on the driveway are close to damaging the cars (they stick out significantly when we drive across them) and the driveway is so skinny that it only just fits a car on it and when we step out of the car we need to step on the grass...which is waterlogged, muddy and rank for both me and the kids to step in, trailing it into the house.

ANYWAY!

Now that I have the reasoning/ excuses out the way, here is my big confession:

I AM INCREASING OUR DEBT.

I realise that's not the purpose of this board but I think i'm doing it wisely for these reasons:
    1. We are taking out a £15k loan at 2.8% which will allow us to pay off the remaining £7.5k on the loan that is currently at 6.9%
    2. This loan will allow me to make overpayments into the loan when I can unlike my current one, with the intention of bringing the term forward
    3. We are keeping the repayment virtually the same as the current one, so not extending the duration of our loan (30 months)
    4. We will use the remaining £7.5k to completely overhaul the front garden and driveway, including getting rid of deep tree stumps, digging in proper drainage etc and this, for us, is better solution than the £2k fix-up job that we were saving up for (fixing the slabs, adding more slabs and getting rid of the grass)
    5. This will allow us to keep saving as we were for all other commitments we have this year, our first family holiday next year and towards bathroom renovations when we can afford them
    6. The extra £200 per month in my husband's wages plus the extra £400 per month that we'll be saving on childcare will free up funds - we'll use 1/3 of this to increase the loan as above and split the other 2/3 between savings and other debt repayments
    7. We have almost £2,000 in savings (this will go up and down quite a bit as our commitments roll round - the first of which is next week!) but my husband has quite a bit of extra work scheduled over the next month so that will top it up.

I've gone through all the figures and I feel good that we can afford this and that it's the right decision. It's one more thing done and off the list, rather than spending £2k now as a quick fix then having to address it again properly in a couple of years.

What does it mean?
    1. I'll be starting 2020 loan-free (£500 per month becomes available)
    2. In August 2020 my youngest will be going to school so childcare fees will reduce from £796 per month to under £200 per month (£600 becomes available)
    3. We'll be much closer to getting rid of the debt that's currently sitting on our credit card (exact figures still to be looked at)

It feels very unnatural to be talking about upping our debt and I almost feel like I'm confessing some bad behaviour to the head teacher!

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Jul 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 16,078 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    You don't have to justify that decision to us! I know exactly where you are coming from. With our first house, we were in the ground floor of a late Victorian house and bought out the chap upstairs - financially not smart but we did it.

Why? because he used to have prostitutes "delivered" to him on two nights a week and their "companion" would sit in the car outside, waiting for "the transaction" to be completed.

...And I was in bed, listening to the car engine running. And my husband was working abroad M-F. It was for peace of mind and to have complete control over the property. We have never been completely debt free from that day to this but I would still argue it was the right thing for us to do.

It will add value and give you peace of mind, coupled with a reduction in the amount of interest you are paying I would do the same thing.

We have been exploring drive materials in relation to the house we are trying to buy and we will be using the hex-mat with gravel embedded in it, so that the ground can breathe and the environmental impact is minimised but the support structure will cope with the vehicles. Don't forget to look at drainage if you are in a "soggy-bottom" situation
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thanks Suffolklass. I know I don't NEED to justify myself but I do think that laying it all out here on paper so to speak helps to reaffirm the decision for me.

You're right about the drainage - the guy that is doing this for us is very experienced and is making sure that drainage is covered for us. It should make a massive difference!

That situation with your flat sounds horrendous, I'm so glad you managed to get away from it. Well, remove the problem!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin