Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,039Posts
    • 3,209Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 23
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 7,562 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I'm getting excited about your imminent reduction in nursery fees and it isn't even my money
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,800
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 2nd Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Ha! We can all enjoy the joy when it comes! I'll crack open the virtual champagne and pass it round

It really is a milestone that I never thought we'd reach. At the beginning, after six months of maternity pay, going straight into £1400 per month + mortgage and bills and living costs I just thought it'd never end and we'd never get through it being solvent. But we're here, we're almost there, we're in debt but we're solvent!

I really need to make sure that we don't get complacent with the extra money - I want to plan but I need to figure out the childcare situation first so that we know what our costs will be and then I can figure out what will be left over and where it can be allocated.

We have a summer fayre at my son's soon-to-be primary school tonight, although I'd imagine it'll be inside as it's pouring down. I'm on my own with the kids tonight so we'll go for a wander around and i'll take £10 to treat them to something. I'm assuming they'll have some fund raising type activities so we can enjoy some fun!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 3rd Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Well last night was as i expected - expensive! Although, I went to the summer fayre with the kids and my MIL and she treated the boys to a couple of goodies. It's a license to print money and we came home with lots of tat but I don't mind so much when it's supporting the school's fundraising initiatives. I took £20 and spent around £16 but that included two school branded water bottles and a school homework folder, all of which i intended to buy at some stage. They were £9 so total tat spend was £7, which i can cope with.

Today has been successful spending-wise - we went to swimming lessons this morning then to my mum and dad's for brunch. I then got my weekly shopping at Aldi (£57) and home for dinner prep so no unneccesary spending for me today!

I'm not planning on going anywhere tomorrow (maybe to the park if it's dry) as I'm away with work Mon-Weds so shouldn't need to spend then either. Fingers crossed!

I've been semi-productive this afternoon, despite being out for most of the day.
    - Washing done and hung up
    - Dishes done x2
    - Dinner prep is complete
    - Shopping done and put away
    - Fridge cleared out
    - Tidied around.

Now I just need to get the motivation to clean the place! Gah!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    It's been a few days since my last post and I'm happy to report that I've gone easy on the spending

I have been away for the whole beginning of the week with work, working 16 hours days so i'm exhausted today but glad that my project delivery is complete. Now it's just the wrap up that needs done and I can take a breather before moving on to the next project. Phew!

I spent a fortune while I was away but thankfully it was all on the company credit card.

The account is balancing well so far this month - my husband did overtime last weekend (two full shifts extra) so his wage was decent this week. It gives us a nice buffer which helps as we have two 30th birthday parties in the next two weeks.

Irritating
    I had a lot of trouble with setting up a direct debit for my credit card monthly payments - i set it up but it wasn't set up in time so i did a manual payment in the mean time. The second month it still didn't come out, so i did another manual payment, cancelled the direct debit and set up a standing order. Now this month, both the direct debit AND the standing order came out! GAH! It's not the worst, it means my payment was £100 instead of £50 so it is an extra payment, but i'd just like for it to go back to normal please!

Right, must dash! I have to pick up the kids then go to vote. Hope everyone is having a good week!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Headhunted!
    Not me, thankfully, I've only been in my job for five months!

My husband has been headhunted by a local company that a contact of his is investing in and they're really keen to get him in as second in command. It'd be a step up for him and it would really challenge him and offer great opportunities to learn/ train further and negotiations are going really well!

He's talking money with them today and hopefully if they're agreeable to what he is asking for, then it should add around £100 per week after tax to his wages, so around £400pm extra! That would truly make a massive difference to everything! I have everything crossed that they go for it - the new company all but told him to name his price and he's asking for a reasonable amount, not gone wild, so I'm hopeful.

He's been with his current company for almost 15 years so it's a big jump if he does decide to move but it'd be a great move for him professionally and for us as a family financially.

'Tis the season
    Normally I'd be halfway through Christmas shopping already, particularly for the kids, but I haven't bought a single thing yet. I know I shouldn't be concerned, but I'd like to make a head start if I can. I always buy bargains throughout the year but am struggling with what to get this year.

I think for my eldest, I'll need to wait until he writes a list. He'll be 5 this year and has such a mind of his own already so I think he'll want to decide on his own what he'd like. My days of shopping for him without his input are over!

His brother, however, should still be fine

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 10th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Saturday
    Spends today:
    £2.50 on a roll when son was at a birthday party
    £59.99 on a school blazer
    £5.25 on a top up shop for bread, milk and a couple of bits

Planned spends:
    £20 for an Indian takeaway for our date night in - my husband is pretty stressed about his job situation and he needs to chill. Plus, he got a £40 tip at work last week from a customer so half can go on a treat for us!

We've had a nice day with the kids today but we are all exhausted now- it's been a hard week all round!

Tomorrow we are going to M&S to scope out the school clothes while there's 20% off and then get the weekly shop in. Hopefully a quiet day all round.

Watching the football today and rooting for Scotland, although it isn't our forte...

• Wysiwyg49
    • By Wysiwyg49 10th Jun 17, 6:10 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Wysiwyg49
    Just found your diary & have subscribed, great news re your DH's job, fingers crossed it works out!
    GC July £0/£500 June £497.80/£400
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 6,523 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    £1400 is one massive childcare bill. My daughter and son in law are deliberately waiting until their daughter gets some free childcare before having a second baby. I would split the money saved between saving and debt clearing.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 7,562 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Tomorrow we are going to M&S to scope out the school clothes while there's 20% off and then get the weekly shop in. Hopefully a quiet day all round.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Glad you had a nice day and got to relax. If you time your MnS trip to after 3pm on a Sunday that is when the YS bargains show up. Win, win?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 16,096 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Glad you had a nice day and got to relax. If you time your MnS trip to after 3pm on a Sunday that is when the YS bargains show up. Win, win?
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Not at my local M&S. They would rather throw food away than YS it. I had a long chat with a staff member on Christmas Eve and the Store Manager refused to give anything to the local charities or YS the Turkeys or expensive fish. The staff member made the point that they sometimes offer what is left to staff but as they (the staff) cannot rely on this they have already made their arrangements and decline them. The ford is then thrown away. I don't know how much discretion the store manager has (and there was a sense of circling vultures). They are told to keep quiet about it. It was the last time I went into that branch.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 50.68/50% including stores after June
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    £1400 is one massive childcare bill. My daughter and son in law are deliberately waiting until their daughter gets some free childcare before having a second baby. I would split the money saved between saving and debt clearing.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Yes, that's wise. We had intended on waiting until my eldest was almost 4 before having another (he'd be going to school when I was going back to work after mat leave) but nature had another ideas and I was pregnant again before he was 2! Whoops! I wouldn't change it now as they are thick as thieves together, with a 2.5 year age gap but it's been the most expensive two years of our lives. Over £16k per year on childcare...

I think that's exactly what we're planning on doing with the extra money saved. We will work out a percentage split, but aim for a small amount increase to our spends since we've been on a tight budget for so long and the rest split evenly between savings and debt repayment.

Originally posted by doingitanyway
    You love the M&S YS! We were in there after 3pm and there were a few things being labelled but nothing that took my fancy and nothing that had much off (e.g. some red pepper and chickpea pastries were down from something like £3.20 to £2.80) and i didn't feel they were much of a bargain. Plus, by that point the kids were fed up of trailing around the shops and just wanted to go home.

Not at my local M&S. They would rather throw food away than YS it. I had a long chat with a staff member on Christmas Eve and the Store Manager refused to give anything to the local charities or YS the Turkeys or expensive fish. The staff member made the point that they sometimes offer what is left to staff but as they (the staff) cannot rely on this they have already made their arrangements and decline them. The ford is then thrown away. I don't know how much discretion the store manager has (and there was a sense of circling vultures). They are told to keep quiet about it. It was the last time I went into that branch.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    That's shocking! I'm so surprised that they'd do that - M&S tries to do a lot for their corporate social responsibility too. I've seen lots of adverts of late on Facebook with them working with local charities, old folks' homes etc. And they buy a lot of their energy from clean energy sources too, so i cant believe that they'd so callously throw all that good food away. Perhaps writing to head office about?

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Just found your diary & have subscribed, great news re your DH's job, fingers crossed it works out!
    Originally posted by Wysiwyg49
    Thanks so much for your kind words. He has made a decision to stay at his current place of work after deliberating over the weekend. His boss offered him more money and there is more long-term prospects where he is. So for doing the exact same job as he did last week, he'll be earning an extra £2 per hour. Excellent! And he made his boss very happy

Always glad to have another subscriber - anything to keep my motivation up Do you have a diary that I can reciprocate with?

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 7,562 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It is great your husband's loyalty has been rewarded and he is demand. Well done him.

You are right about the YS bargains in MnS. I do love them. They have helped me so much eating healthy food on this budget, but yes, with little ones I don't think I would bother as it would not be fun for them.

Have a good start of the week JoJo
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    A spendy weekend!
    Spends
    • £59.99 on a school blazer
    • £35 in M&S on more school uniform (after 20% off)
    • £14.99 on a bike helmet for my youngest son
    • £2 on jam donuts
    • £58 in Aldi on the weekly shop
    Total: £ 169.98

Good things
    • My husband's pay increase by £2 per hour should mean around £320-350 per month extra to our income after tax which will make a massive difference!
    • The countdown is on until the LAST BIG NURSERY PAYMENT! One more payment and it's only three weeks away!
    • We got a lot of uniform in for my son over the last week or so - we just need to buy footwear and a couple more school jumpers now that we know what size fits him
    • We are eating healthily again after a really stressful and busy couple of weeks has resulted in us eating junk (and getting takeaways...)
    • I have decided to get a cleaner - I mentioned quite a while ago that my house gets me down and I have very limited available time. I work full time, my kids are almost 2 and 4 and I have limited time to spend with them and the house can easily descend into chaos. I've been considering it for quite a while but i think it'll relieve some of the stress of constantly beating myself up for not being on top of everything. And i get to spend my spare time with my kids, not putting them into the garden to play so that I can try to catch up on the cleaning.
    • I had been buying a monthly train ticket for £91 per month but I've recently moved to working from home two days per week regularly so I wasn't using the monthly pass to its potential. My train service has recently launched a flexipass where you just bulk buy 10 single tickets and use them when you need so I'm going to try that out and see how much it saves me (if any) for the coming month.

Not so good things
    • I still haven't bought my youngest son's birthday present (although the upside to that is that my husband has £25 on a prepaid visa so i can use that towards his gift to save a bit of money)
    • I feel like we've been REALLY spendy of late and so feel guilty, but it's all necessary things (apart from the takeaways...)
    • I have a rotten cold - it's only been a month since I was floored with a sickness bug and I get ill quite regularly. I think i just run myself into the ground so need to start taking better care of myself to prevent illness.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Credit card interest!
    Well, am I glad that I decided to randomly take a look at my Santander credit card statement?

HELL YES!

I have approx £3700 on my Santander card and haven't been charged interest on it for months. Going back the last three months, interest has been 0%. However, I logged on today and thought I'd take a look - interest at the beginning of the month was £47.01!!

That's the first month that interest has been charged so i panicked and went straight onto the balance transfer pages on MSE.

I have applied for an MBNA card with 33 months 0% balance transfer and have been accepted with an £8k limit. Phew! I just need to wait to receive all the details and get the transfer set up. That interest just ate up all of my accidental overpayment this month and I'm a little mad but at least i noticed now and not in 6 months' time.

The fee is only 0.64% so I'm hopeful that nothing goes wrong and the transfer is completed smoothly.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Childcare
    I mentioned a few weeks ago that the childminder who was supposed to take my son before and after school a few days a week is no longer able to do it and I'd been looking around for a replacement. After not hearing back from any of them, I called nine and sent a message to a further 5 that are in my rough area and either they already pick up from a different school or they are fully booked!

I've been in touch with a couple of breakfast/ after school clubs and they are more expensive but they at least do have spaces. I'd have rathered a childminder as they can be more flexible and more of a home-from-home environment after school but hey ho.

Need to get some viewings arranged for this week as only 9 weeks until school starts! !

• Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 6,088 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    What a nightmare about the childcare! Childcare issues was one of the reasons I have essentially been a SAHM for the past two years, after we ended up resorting to a nanny to try to have reliable childcare (SO EXPENSIVE), and the combination of nanny salary and then not earning anything significant for the following 18 months has been a big contributor to our debt.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 6th June 17/DFD: £55,820.43/1st March 2025
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    It really is a completely hideous stress having to deal with childcare. It has completely skinned us - £16k per year on childcare alone has really put us in the sh!t after 9 months of maternity leave where I was paid next to nothing. That’s where at least £3k of our CC debt has come from but I always knew that I’d need to go back to work. Both financially and also for my career – if I’d have taken a few years out then I’d need to start again near the bottom of the ladder so it wasn’t an easy choice.

So, we knew that we’d need to just suck it up and do what we can until #1 goes to school and then #2 in 2020. No one can truly prepare you for the cost of childcare, especially when there’s no grandparents around to do a day here or there. My mum helps us out a LOT when I need to travel but there’s only so much she can do when she too works full time. I appreciate every minute of help that they give us. Our neighbour’s mum has her kids all week… wow!

Anyway, I think I may have solved the childcare issue. I got the last three days at a local after school club. My boss has agreed flexibility in my role, so I can drop him to school every day and come in a bit late, work from home two/ three days per week and have three days after school in the club. It’s not the days that I wanted, unfortunately, but it’s better than nothing! It’s £10 per day so £30 per week is reasonable.

Anyway, I’ll stop ranting about childcare! It’s just a worry – the little guy is only four and is facing a new school and a new after school care. It seems a lot for the wee fella to take on all at once, but we’ll get there.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Childcare forecast
    I thought I'd put this on here to give myself some perspective! If all goes well with the new after school care for my son (it should be confirmed on Friday) then this is how our childcare bill should look.

DS1: £130 per month (for three days per week after school)
    DS2: £796.88 per month (five days at nursery per week)
    Total: £926.88 per month

Currently we pay: £1386 per month

Total saving of £460 per month

My youngest son will be eligible for preschool funding in one year so it'll go down slightly again in 12 months (around £140 saving per month) and then it'll be two further years until he starts school when we'll have after school care only! These are the things that dreams are made of - I'm trying so hard not to wish the kids' lives away

But £926.88 is way more manageable than £1400 and I'm so glad that we're now reducing the costs. Phew!

You're probably sick of listening to me banging on about my childcare woes, but it helps a lot to write it all down and clarify it in my head.

• abba1772
    • By abba1772 14th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 9,221 Thanks
    abba1772
    Sorry to hear you're having childcare issues........I'm a childminder and I'm constantly turning people away which I genuinely feel guilty about but I do try my best to help them find another childminder xx plus I do operate a waiting list in case circumstances change xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS £3572.57 NOW £3529.52
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £3076.97 / £6000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,056Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin