Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catandy
    • By catandy 25th Jan 17, 11:36 AM
    • 749Posts
    • 1,304Thanks
    catandy
    Ready To Do This
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:36 AM
    Ready To Do This 25th Jan 17 at 11:36 AM
    Ok this is second attempt at getting debt free - I got into trouble supporting partners failing business and keeping both my family unit and his extended family financially off a shaky income from self employment that had times of plenty and times of nothing.... I had 2 sons approaching the end of their time at college neither of whom had part time jobs and both of whom lived at home....

fast forward 3 years and my situation has settled somewhat - I have been in an employed job for 3 years now and earn well at it - 40/50K for the last 2 years (I earn commission on top of wages which is why it varies to such a degree). 'Partner' still lives in the same house as me but I am not so sure for how long and if indeed we are still together. I have stopped supporting his family except small token payments for xmas and birthdays. my oldest son has moved out and is living in a house share and just about getting by with on his own and my youngest has a freelance job and is still at home.

add to that I'm still 30k or so in debt (from an original figure of 34.5) and you can see to date I haven't really made any headway at all. I'm doing a self managed dmp using NEDCAB and have been making nominal payments to everyone to date - clearing priority debts of rent / council tax and WTC overpayments oh and replacing stuff that was on its last legs - like a bed, cooker, fridge and so on..

now its time for me to get my head down and start clearing some of these debts completely with settlement figures so I can get straight once and for all. its also do or die time with partner/ his family as he basically refuses to look for work... he finished treatment for cancer about a year ago and got the all clear and since then has held down 2 self employed jobs for a total of 6 weeks between them - each of those jobs cost as much to do as he earnt with spends on petrol/ training courses and smart clothes for work. He also drops it into conversation every so often that his kids need x or y paid for - I've started saying no or ignoring him which is a turnaround from the feeling like im being used and then coughing up and paying it anyway..

ok I think that's enough of an essay to start with... I will get figures on everything that is owed for next time.
    current debt 23302 - 7% paid (and counting..)
Page 5
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 8th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    angelpye
    Just wanted to pop in to say well done for all the progress you have made. You really have had it tough and tackled it. Really heart warming to see how your DS stepped up - raised a good one there! Perhaps at the weekend plan something nice for yourself (with or without your boys) - doesn't have to cost a lot just whatever is a treat to you. Time to take care of yourself!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • catandy
    • By catandy 9th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    thanks for stopping by everyone and the suggestions and good wishes - much appreciated.

I had a rough day at new job today - I'm struggling with the new role (4 day into it now) and seem to have a mental block with part of the job that involves doing calculations on the fly whilst I'm talking to customers - I'm panicking and my brain freezes and I clam up and sound like an idiot and cant do anything - total paralysis. I left early today after having a meltdown, need to start taking care of myself a bit me thinks....

it has also come to light that the job I am doing is changing to self employed (wish they had told me that at interview) - ive done self employment for years before so it shouldn't be such a big deal but at the moment I seem to be scared of my own shadow about everything.

sheesh I am such a misery - I want my first week at the new job to be over, I want to get paid ok for the new job next week so I know its not a dodgy company I am working for and I want my redundancy payment to go thru at the end of the month with no issues - I'm still convinced that there is going to be a problem with it ....

oh and really angry with myself that I broke my run of NSD today by getting headache tablets from the shop at work and added a fizzy drink and sandwich to the haul - £3.30 mindlessly spent - I could have eaten my selection of fruit and veggies that I packed for lunch in 3 seconds flat and drank my bottle of water ... (gosh doesn't that sound like a culinary delight!)

tomorrow will be better!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Mar 17, 6:47 AM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 5,113 Thanks
    -taff
    Keep a calculator by you if you have to do it on the fly, or old school pen and paper
    • catandy
    • By catandy 10th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    I got an offer for a 'career job' today rather than the stop gap that I am currently in - its what I was doing at my last role but a new company/ variation in product and a slightly lower basic/ commission structure than I left on. I am going to go and discuss start dates with them next Friday so it looks like the self employed position is a stop gap till I move over to this.

DS is away this weekend and I have nothing planned - I need to do a food shop and some domestic boring stuff but apart from that its a nice relaxing weekend.
    • catandy
    • By catandy 11th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    been and treated myself this morning and had my hair cut (£30 and budgeted for) and I feel so much better for it - I actually look and feel human! I also went and did a food shop at A!D1 and spent a massive 84£ mind you the cupboards/ fridge and freezer are now full to bursting - I've got another £50 on food to last me the month which should be more than doable.

starting to feel a bit more optimistic that I can start making some headway - OH moving out was hard but long overdue and I slowly am starting to feel like I exist again and I like that, I had forgotten how it feels.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 8,147 Posts
    • 42,985 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Career job sounds like it's definitely the way forwards doesn't it - that's great news! Not quite sure how the company you're currently with think it's acceptable to employ someone and then immediately tell them that there is no job unless they want to go self-employed and presumably bid for it? Sounds horribly like they're trying to get out of paying tax for employees to me - in which case get out fast!

Hurrah for haircuts and filling the cupboards too.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • catandy
    • By catandy 15th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    Thanks EH and yes career job is the way to go - the role I took was only ever going to be a stop gap to keep an income coming in and take the pressure off.

waiting on Friday (first payday for rubbish filler job) and day I get my details of start date/ training program for career job so I know what I'm doing for the next couple of months.

all the bills paid for the month and food enough to last us for a fair time without topping up - oh DS has caught the no more unnecessary spending bug and he has challenged me to a whole week of NSD so we will see who does the best at it, doing it last week of the month when we are both low on funds anyway but will be interesting to see if it can be done!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 8,147 Posts
    • 42,985 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oh that's a fab idea! Well done DS!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • catandy
    • By catandy 16th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    Start date for career job confirmed as 18th April (after Easter Bank Holibobs so it gives me 4 weeks from now - I currently have £2489 in my bank account with another 350 to go out by end of the month, then I have my redundancy payment cheque that will clear at the end of the month so up to 6100 by then - each months outgoings stand at 1650 so I can afford to do nothing for the 4 weeks or I may see if there is any temp work that I can do to keep me out of mischief.

I am also going to start chipping away at my balances with doing F&F settlements using the template letter I got off the relevant thread on here. Ideal would be clear the smallest Capital One balance and one of the smaller ones but I shall see how it goes and as per the advice given previously I am starting with low offers (25% of balance outstanding) and will negotiate from there. First offer letter goes out tomorrow.

DS is away for Friday/ Saturday this weekend then he goes away for a weeks work from Tuesday so spends should be even less than normal - even the leccie bill goes down when he's not here that sounds like I enjoy it (I do the lower expenses but I really am not looking forward to when he does move out completely - I will be totally lost!

starting to feel a sense of contentment with it all - mainly that I have a plan and that I can start to see the way forward at last. just need to stop talking about it now and get on with it all
    Last edited by catandy; 16-03-2017 at 6:47 PM.
    • catandy
    • By catandy 30th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    final payment came thru from employed job I left (they owed me some holiday pay and commission outstanding - I had worked it out at 250 and a few pence it came thru at 700+ (which was a nice mistake to make on my part).

career job doesn't start till 3rd May (after Easter and May Day bank holidays so I have 4 weeks of no income, I can manage I have 6300+ in my account currently and monthly spends stand at 1700 so as long as I don't go crazy I can manage and get thru my first months work till official payday 28th May (which falls at a weekend so I will get paid 26th - so 8 weeks tomorrow.

pre paid credit card is being paid of in its entirety which is the grand scheme of things is not a big deal but at least its something off my balances.

DS managed 4 NSD in a row and I beat him with 5 so all good there - we plan on repeating the experiment again once all the bills have been paid for the month.
    • catandy
    • By catandy 30th Mar 17, 12:48 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    pre payment credit card paid in its entirety - 107.41

mbna card settled @ 70% discount - 1697.47 settled for 509.22

1804.88 total paid off my outstanding balance -
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 16th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Sounds as though you're doing really well catandy.

Hope you're enjoying your time off before the new job begins. X
    • catandy
    • By catandy 27th Apr 17, 12:52 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    catandy
    career job starts on Tuesday of next week (after the bank holiday) and pay day for new job is end of next month. still got 3.5k left in my account and spends for the month should come in at 1700 for May so some leeway built in.

DS has gone for an interview for a factory job to supplement what he makes from part time wrestling job that he has - he wants to move into a flat share with a couple of mates by September time so needs the money for deposit/ months rent down in advance. I've got my fingers crossed for him so I hope he gets it.

apart from that life just ticks on by ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,554Posts Today

7,772Users online

Martin's Twitter