Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 25th Jan 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,456Posts
    • 1,446Thanks
    EdGasket
    How long do car insurers have to update MID?
    • 25th Jan 17, 10:34 AM
    How long do car insurers have to update MID? 25th Jan 17 at 10:34 AM
    Changed my car insurance to RAC on the 11th Jan but it is still showing as not insured on AskMID. Called them up and they say they have 14 days from the renewal date (not the date I bought the insurance) to add the car to the MID database. Is that correct or has it been changed to 7 days which I read somewhere? It seems that during this 14-day period my car can be impounded by the police if they wanted as they don't take paper certificates as proof of insurance anymore and aren't obliged to contact my insurer; is that also correct?
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 25th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    IIRC 'RAC' is just an affinity owned by BISL and so your insurance is underwritten by another company.

We used to deal with BISL at my old company, business was sent to us electronically on the evening of the day of inception (normally you'd get business the evening it was transacted not effective).

This then needs to load to the insurers system and then be forwarded to the MID, so 7 days seems reasonable. Cant comment on the police impounding though. Do you not get 7 days for a producer anymore?
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 25th Jan 17, 12:05 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:05 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:05 PM
    Cant comment on the police impounding though. Do you not get 7 days for a producer anymore?
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    The police can seize the car if you fail to present a valid insurance certificate (paper or electronic) AND the constable reasonably believes that you were driving without insurance.

If you do show him a valid insurance certificate then he has no authority to seize the car - regardless of what the MID says and regardless of whether or not he believes that you really are insured.

Of course if he doesn't believe that your certificate is valid and is determined to seize the car anyway then waving your certificate at him won't physically stop him - but the seizure would be illegal and getting your impound fee back, along with incidental expenses (eg taxi fares) would be relatively straightforward. (Pyror v Greater Manchester is the key case) OTOH if you didn't show him your certificate and he seized the car then the seizure would likely be lawful, even if it turned out that you really were insured, and you'd be dependant on the goodwill of the police to get your money back. This has always struck me as a good reason for keeping your certificate in the car.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 25th Jan 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:07 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:07 PM
    If you carry the certificate with you, you should have any problems. You may get pulled over but if you do you'll have the papers to show it's insured.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 25th Jan 17, 12:49 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    EdGasket
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:49 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:49 PM
    Cheers guys, I'll check after 7 days. I was just concerned as my other car which I also changed insurance on the same date with eSure is showing up on MID as insured. Must be BISL dragging their heels.
    • rhino horn
    • By rhino horn 25th Jan 17, 6:15 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    rhino horn
    • 25th Jan 17, 6:15 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 6:15 PM
    The insurance company doesn't need to forward anything to MID, they will have a log on and be able to enter the details immediately. I'm able to instantly add vehicles to MID with my motor trade insurance.

When they add the vehicle they enter the effective from date, so telling you that they have 7 days is nonsense.

I have in fact been stopped by the police before driving a trade car a few years ago.. We thought we had 7 days to upload the vehicle details to MID. The police informed me that this was incorrect, vehicles should be uploaded pretty much immediately.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 25th Jan 17, 6:59 PM
    • 20,293 Posts
    • 12,534 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 25th Jan 17, 6:59 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 6:59 PM
    The insurance company doesn't need to forward anything to MID, they will have a log on and be able to enter the details immediately. I'm able to instantly add vehicles to MID with my motor trade insurance.

When they add the vehicle they enter the effective from date, so telling you that they have 7 days is nonsense.

I have in fact been stopped by the police before driving a trade car a few years ago.. We thought we had 7 days to upload the vehicle details to MID. The police informed me that this was incorrect, vehicles should be uploaded pretty much immediately.
    Originally posted by rhino horn
    This is a good guide for traders https://www.mib.org.uk/media/135974/motor-trade-and-the-mid.pdf
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 25th Jan 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    EdGasket
    • 25th Jan 17, 7:52 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 7:52 PM
    Originally posted by rhino horn
    They actually told me they have 14 days. So what do you suggest I do about it? I have rung up the RAC and they told me they have 14 days from policy start date to inform MID. What can I do but wait?
    Bearing in mind I took the policy with them on the 11th Jan, well over a week in advance of the start date, I am pretty disappointed that they haven't sorted MID yet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,553Users online

Martin's Twitter