Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 24th Jan 17, 9:32 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 609Thanks
    Litchielou
    Retiring early
    • 24th Jan 17, 9:32 PM
    Retiring early 24th Jan 17 at 9:32 PM
    Hello everyone, had a few threads but would like this new one as it will be a new way of life.

A bit about us, my DH is 58 I'm 56, we have 2 children DS 34 and DD32, 5 grandchildren GS1 is 12, GS2 is 8, GD1 is 10, GD2 is 9, GD3 is nearly 9. We also have 3 Extras 17, 15 and 9 ( not aloud to call them grandchildren as future SIL first wife gets annoyed). DS is married to our darling DIL, DD is separated but lives with future SIL. He has taken on the care of DDs 3 children as his own, better than their own dad.

My post is about retiring DH has been informed he will be made redundant at the end of February and after a long chat with each other I will be finishing work as well. (Decided to do it now as we both have lost friends before they get to our age and you only come this way once)
    We are already debt free and have a lot of savings, we will be able to live of his monthly pension, the terms of him finishing he can get his personal pension, redundancy pay. OK his SP is 8 years away and mine is 10.

We don't live an extravagant life but would have enough money to still have a annual holiday usually Tenerife. Have day trips out, see more of our family ( if anyone has read my other thread this does not include Mother).

My husband plays a summer sport, so do a lot of traveling around the North of England so have got plenty of friends to catch up with.

Hope everyone will enjoy reading this thread.

5 weeks to we finish. xx
Page 6
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 5,009 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hi Litchielou Just wanted to say happy retiement to Mr Litchielou.
    I had a strange day yesterday as kept thinking it was Friday, don't know if it was a senior moment but it lasted all day. I had to keep asking DH what day it was, don't think he was that amused after about the 10th time. I suppose one of the best things about being retired is that unless you have any important appointments, it really doesn't matter what day it is
    nan
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,755 Thanks
    maryb
    Our getting up time has drifted since we retired but every now and then we try and get back to waking up just after 6. We get so much more done if we get up early
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 10,143 Posts
    • 57,078 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Unless I've got an early appt then I never set my alarm. I just wake when I'm good and ready, usually at daybreak so a bit later in the winter but generally I like to be up with the larks.

I love waking really early on a sunny summers morning. I sit
    out with my coffee, listening to the birds and smelling the flowers, the whole day stretching out in front of me, mine to do exactly as I please.

Bliss.

And......I just love my siestas. Half an hour and then I'm raring to go again.

An afternoon nap means I can burn the candle at both ends........rise at early dawn and then stay up late until way after the witching hour.

I have been painting door frames this afternoon. I am as happy as a pig in muck when I'm painting and decorating. tired now though....cat has just joined me on the sofa to tell me it's time for our nap.....
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 11th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    The morning after the night before. What a great party, plenty of food too much to drink, but still up at the same time. Lots of presents, flowers and wine. New pots and plants for the garden, a new bistro set. We both feel so loved.
    Also yesterday was the start of redesigning our garden, new gates fitted. Next week will think where to put our new things.

This retirement is so good ha ha

Take care xx
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 13th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    First full day of retirement and the sun came out. Hope it's like this all summer.

Take care xx
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 16th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    After one week of retirement and it's gone t*ts up DH mum fell today and broke her hip awaiting
    an operation either tomorrow or Saturday.
    My mother is as usual a pain in the neck but what the heck we are retired and will visit when we can.

Take care x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 39,025 Thanks
    monnagran
    Gosh Litchielou, that was a short retirement!
    On the other hand how good does it feel that you are free to help your DH's mother and not trying to fit in visits etc around work?

Your MIL will eventually recover and life will go on. As for your mother, she will have to be fitted in when and where you decide that you can't go one more day without seeing her cheerful face!!!!

I remember when I first retired it was in July and the weather was gorgeous. My delight was to get up at the usual time and eat my breakfast in the garden, lingering over a second cup of coffee and maybe reading a bit more of the current book.
    A few months later my delight was to wake up on a freezing morning, think of my ex-colleagues scraping their windscreens, make a cup of coffee and go back to bed.

Eighteen years on and I wake up, work out what day it is, test that my body is still in working order, make a cup of coffee and go back to bed.

In the end you adapt your life to what suits you. My father, well into his nineties was getting up at 5.30am and doing a couple of hours gardening before breakfast. For some reason, that one of his genes escaped me.

Sorry about your MIL, Litchielou. I hope for all your sakes that she recovers well.

x
    Last edited by monnagran; 17-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 10,143 Posts
    • 57,078 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Great post Monogran.......all the things I love about being retired. Simple pleasures that make retirement so wonderful.

LItchielou. Sorry to hear about your MIL - hope the surgery goes well. At least she has the summer to look forward to and can hopefully sit out in the garden a bit to recuperate.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 17-03-2017 at 9:47 AM.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 17th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    Thank you for your messages, will find out soon when they will operate. Her recouporation won't interfere with any plans we have. Our children are willing to step in with a lot of help. She will not go into a nursing home so will do our utmost to stop this happening.

Since we have retired we are getting up at the normal time, don't seem to be able to lie in. But it's now a pleasure and the days last longer.

The house still looks and smells like a florist that many flowers. Wine has all gone.

Take care xx
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 17th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 5,009 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Litchielou Just thought I'd pop in to see how you are getting on in your first week. But I am sorry to see that things haven't gone smoothly. Hope your Mil recovers well after her surgery.
    Sending you and yours good vibrations
    nan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,574Posts Today

8,131Users online

Martin's Twitter