Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oddities
    • By Oddities 24th Jan 17, 10:41 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Oddities
    Equifax Fraud Alert Letter
    • 24th Jan 17, 10:41 AM
    Equifax Fraud Alert Letter 24th Jan 17 at 10:41 AM
    I recently received a letter from Equifax informing me that they had received an online application for my Equifax Credit Report. According to the letter, the application was blocked as it was suspected to be fraudulent. It also says that the details of the application have been logged with CIFAS. It goes on to suggest that they will send me an Equifax credit report free of charge, along with free reports from Experian and Callcredit, but in order to do this I need to send all my personal information, including copies of passport/driving licence, recent utility bill etc.

I am not and have never been a customer of Equifax and am suspicious of the offer of free credit reports from all 3 companies. I've searched online to see if I can find information about people receiving similar letters, but haven't found anything.

I phoned Equifax customer services but found this to be confusing and unhelpful.

So my question is, has anyone heard of Equifax sending out letters like this, out of the blue, asking for personal details in order to send free credit reports?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 24th Jan 17, 1:03 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:03 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:03 PM
    I am not and have never been a customer of Equifax
    Originally posted by Oddities
    If you have ever taken out credit, you will almost certainly have a credit file with Equifax, Experian and Call Credit. You don't choose to be their customer.

Have you checked the address you are asked to send the documents to is definitely an Equifax address?
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 24th Jan 17, 1:05 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:05 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:05 PM
    Think its a total scam in order to get your details.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 24th Jan 17, 1:18 PM
    • 12,462 Posts
    • 11,858 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:18 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:18 PM
    They don't provide free credit reports.

There is a £2 statutory charge.

Anything like this should be treated with the utmost suspicion.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 24th Jan 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:21 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:21 PM
    I recently received a letter from Equifax informing me that they had received an online application for my Equifax Credit Report. According to the letter, the application was blocked as it was suspected to be fraudulent. It also says that the details of the application have been logged with CIFAS. It goes on to suggest that they will send me an Equifax credit report free of charge, along with free reports from Experian and Callcredit, but in order to do this I need to send all my personal information, including copies of passport/driving licence, recent utility bill etc.

I am not and have never been a customer of Equifax and am suspicious of the offer of free credit reports from all 3 companies. I've searched online to see if I can find information about people receiving similar letters, but haven't found anything.

I phoned Equifax customer services but found this to be confusing and unhelpful.

So my question is, has anyone heard of Equifax sending out letters like this, out of the blue, asking for personal details in order to send free credit reports?

Thanks
    Surely that would have rung alarm bells?? Why on earth would Equifax send you a credit report of their competitors? It's a scam.

What address did they want you to send your details to?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 24th Jan 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 24th Jan 17, 2:06 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 2:06 PM
    Go to the following sites:

www.noddle.co.uk (the front end for call credit)
    www.clearscore.com (the front end for equifax)

Register for free and double check there are no suspicious entries

Obviously don't respond to this scam or send them any information
    • ashp
    • By ashp 24th Jan 17, 3:54 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    ashp
    • 24th Jan 17, 3:54 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 3:54 PM
    They don't provide free credit reports.

There is a £2 statutory charge.

Anything like this should be treated with the utmost suspicion.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    I believe in a case of suspected fraud all 3 agencies are required to send you your report free of charge. I would say it's genuine, You just need to obviously verify where your are sending this requested personal information.
    • Oddities
    • By Oddities 24th Jan 17, 6:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Oddities
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:11 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:11 PM
    Firstly, thanks for your replies.

The address is the official Equifax PO Box address. I'm fairly certain this came from Equifax, it just felt strange that they were offering to provide a free service. As I said, in the letter they state that the other 2 credit agencies would also provide my reports free of charge.

Does anyone know if there is some law that compels credit agencies to provide these reports free of charge in cases of fraud or attempted fraud? From ashp's reply it seems there might be, although it doesn't seem to be well known.

I just thought I'd try to get some advice before sending all this personal information to them and to see whether anyone had had any experience of having been sent a similar letter.
    • Oddities
    • By Oddities 24th Jan 17, 6:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Oddities
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:15 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:15 PM
    By the way, Equifax aren't suggesting they'll directly send me reports from Experian and Callcredit - there's a tick box on the form that gives them to go ahead to share my information with the other 2 agencies, which will prompt them to send my free credit reports.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 24th Jan 17, 6:29 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    Candyapple
    I recently received a letter from Equifax informing me that they had received an online application for my Equifax Credit Report. According to the letter, the application was blocked as it was suspected to be fraudulent. It also says that the details of the application have been logged with CIFAS.
    How do they know the application was fraudulent and not just a case of you entering the details incorrectly? (I know in this instance you said it's not you) I mean lots of people don't know the date of when they opened certain accounts, especially if they are older. Genuine question

Also, you will need to see what type of marker they've placed against you with CIFAS.
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/what_are_the_fraud_types_cifas_uses

Equifax Ltd
    Customer Service Centre
    PO Box 10036
    Leicester
    LE3 4FS

Is that the address in the letter?
    • Oddities
    • By Oddities 24th Jan 17, 6:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Oddities
    Yes it's the same address in the letter.

I don't know what criteria they use to see whether a credit report application is fraudulent, but I'm glad they seem to have measures in place.
    At the moment, all that I'm aware of is that someone claiming to be me has applied for my credit report. I'm not sure what they could do with this information but am pleased that the application appears to have been blocked.

The next step seems to be to send my information to Equifax in order to see if there are any other incidents in my reports, but I wanted to make sure this was the right thing to do.
    • ashp
    • By ashp 25th Jan 17, 11:16 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    ashp
    Yes it's the same address in the letter.

I don't know what criteria they use to see whether a credit report application is fraudulent, but I'm glad they seem to have measures in place.
    At the moment, all that I'm aware of is that someone claiming to be me has applied for my credit report. I'm not sure what they could do with this information but am pleased that the application appears to have been blocked.

The next step seems to be to send my information to Equifax in order to see if there are any other incidents in my reports, but I wanted to make sure this was the right thing to do.
    I don't think they are actually required to send you the free report but I think they have to give you the option. They are however required to inform the other credit agencies.
    • Oddities
    • By Oddities 25th Jan 17, 11:44 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Oddities
    I don't think they are actually required to send you the free report but I think they have to give you the option. They are however required to inform the other credit agencies.
    So do you think it would be wise to take them up on the option? Could there be any downsides that you can see?
    • ashp
    • By ashp 25th Jan 17, 12:18 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    ashp
    So do you think it would be wise to take them up on the option? Could there be any downsides that you can see?
    I would take the option. No harm in getting all 3 reports sent out for free!
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 25th Jan 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    What number did you call them on?

Did you get it off the letter?
    • Oddities
    • By Oddities 25th Jan 17, 7:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Oddities

Yes I got it off the letter - 0800 090 2229. Seems to be right - I also contacted them through their website and this contact number was in their reply.
    • ashp
    • By ashp 25th Jan 17, 7:53 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    ashp

Originally posted by Dobbibill
    Equifax call centres are not great. I have called a couple of times before. Call centres I have got through to are abroad, I couldn't understand them and what I did understand didn't make sense!
    • Max.yates7
    • By Max.yates7 19th May 17, 5:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Max.yates7
    What was the outcome? Did you send details in and get a response? I have received a letter exactly the same in the post today.
    Thank you.
    • Bisonic
    • By Bisonic 24th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bisonic
    Equifax just sent me a letter - scam?
    Hi all,
    So I just got a letter saying my data has been breached by hackers in the US in May. Says to call a number and go through various things with them for 15 mins to secure my stuff. I called a number I found online first for the official Equifax.co.uk and spoke to a robotic lady in the Philipinnes for 2 mins - then called the number on the letter which also put me through to a lady in the Phillipines...
    Anyone had a similair letter / experience?
    Cheers
    • cometomama
    • By cometomama 28th Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cometomama
    Yes I just received a letter from Equifax saying my personal data was accessed in May by hackers in a cyber attack against Equifax in the US in May this year.

Who the hell are they? Equifax? Never heard of them before today. I'm not speaking to anyone in the bloody Philippines and don't want to send any information to Equifax. Do I just ignore it?

ANYBODY? just a little advice?
    Last edited by cometomama; 30-10-2017 at 3:53 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,414Posts Today

9,387Users online

Martin's Twitter