Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kiwi_fruit
    • By kiwi_fruit 23rd Jan 17, 9:11 PM
    • 717Posts
    • 319Thanks
    kiwi_fruit
    Goofbid sniper no longer free?
    • 23rd Jan 17, 9:11 PM
    Goofbid sniper no longer free? 23rd Jan 17 at 9:11 PM
    Just went to input a snipe and this is what it tells me:

Professional Upgrade Required
    Dear ***,
    Unfortunately due to a rise in operating costs, we are unable to continue the free use of our sniper moving forwards. We have tried to continue with the free functionality as long as possible, but as our sniping technology has evolved, we've also seen a rise in running costs.
    We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for using Goofbid and hope you understand our situation. We've made our professional offering as competitively priced as possible and at £2.99 per month, we're confident that the savings made through our latest professional snipe functionality will enable the fastest return on investment possible.
    If you try our professional functionality and don't feel it's right for your needs, you can cancel your account anytime - see terms for full details.
    We understand this represents a significant change and should you have any further questions, feel free to contact me directly at contact@goofbid.com.
    Kind regards,
    Rich, Goofbid

Was wondering if it's just me or is everybody affected?
    So much for my loyalty over the years Will have to move to gixen.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 23rd Jan 17, 9:46 PM
    • 25,094 Posts
    • 9,959 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 23rd Jan 17, 9:46 PM
    • 23rd Jan 17, 9:46 PM
    If your going to pay for the service i wonder if you can hold them liable for failed bids?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 23rd Jan 17, 10:10 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    spud17
    • 23rd Jan 17, 10:10 PM
    • 23rd Jan 17, 10:10 PM
    Just had same message.
    It was for convenience as much as anything.
    I know there are other snipers around, can anyone offer a recommendation?
    After 10+ years on here, for the first time, I've been forced to put 2 usernames on my ignore list, in reality it's just one person ignored.
    • kiwi_fruit
    • By kiwi_fruit 24th Jan 17, 12:25 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    kiwi_fruit
    • 24th Jan 17, 12:25 AM
    • 24th Jan 17, 12:25 AM
    forgotmyname, I'm sure there'll be something in their T&C about them not being responsible for failed snipes.
    spud17, I heard good things about gixen, will give it a try myself.

Great way to p**s off your customers, really. I could maybe have been persuaded to pay-per-snipe a few pence, but monthly subscription service?
    • goodfella66
    • By goodfella66 24th Jan 17, 9:00 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    goodfella66
    • 24th Jan 17, 9:00 AM
    • 24th Jan 17, 9:00 AM
    Gixen all the way. I think it's about £6 for the year and they use mirror snipes (for users who pay the yearly fee) in case the first one fails. Never had a problem with them.
    Last edited by goodfella66; 24-01-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    • Buster Danog
    • By Buster Danog 24th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Buster Danog
    • 24th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    • 24th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    I agree. £2.99 a month is too much if you only use it occasionally. Why can't people think in terms of percentages rather than "I have ex amount of customers so I could make decent money if some pay per month".

I think I snipe once or twice a month, and sometimes there have been no other bidders on items I sniped on, so I cannot justify the cost. Will look at Gixen, which says it is free.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 24th Jan 17, 9:16 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    spud17
    • 24th Jan 17, 9:16 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 9:16 PM
    I'd already been on Google and Gixen was one that kept coming up.
    Like others, I only use it a few times a year and then it's for 2nd hand bits and pieces which are generally under £20.
    After 10+ years on here, for the first time, I've been forced to put 2 usernames on my ignore list, in reality it's just one person ignored.
    • Buster Danog
    • By Buster Danog 25th Jan 17, 8:27 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Buster Danog
    • 25th Jan 17, 8:27 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 8:27 PM
    The same with me usually, but Goofbid when it was free offered you a 2 or 3 second lead time for placing the bid. With Gixen it is 6 seconds unless you pay for a year's membership.

I paid the $6 or £5 for a year today. The item I want is too important not to. Cheap but worth the saving. I wish Goofbid had made their fee smaller. I preferred the format of that site.
    • foomanchu
    • By foomanchu 26th Jan 17, 8:34 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    foomanchu
    • 26th Jan 17, 8:34 PM
    • 26th Jan 17, 8:34 PM
    Same here, I do 1-2 bids a month at most, sometimes none at all. I might have run 50p a snipe maybe, but not £2.99/month. Giving Gixen a go instead.
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 27th Jan 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    The same with me usually, but Goofbid when it was free offered you a 2 or 3 second lead time for placing the bid. With Gixen it is 6 seconds unless you pay for a year's membership.

I paid the $6 or £5 for a year today. The item I want is too important not to. Cheap but worth the saving. I wish Goofbid had made their fee smaller. I preferred the format of that site.
    Originally posted by Buster Danog
    I've never quite got the significance of having, say, a 2 - 3 second lead time over a 6 second one. At either time interval there is no opportunity for a non-sniper to see your bid and react with a higher one, so you are only competing with other snipes. In which case it is surely better to have the earlier bid as they take precedence. For example if I snipe at 6 seconds for £20 and you snipe at 2 seconds with £20.50 - I win because you are trying to bid below the bid increment, had you sniped at 7 seconds you would have won as I would have been below your maximum bid.

I use Gixen by the way, and have never had a problem with them.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • SteveJW
    • By SteveJW 11th Feb 17, 1:08 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    SteveJW
    Delete Account
    Anyone know how to delete a Goofbid Account

Thanks
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 11th Feb 17, 2:19 PM
    • 13,539 Posts
    • 23,037 Thanks
    pulliptears
    I agree with Gixen. I've used the free version for years and it's never let me down.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• lofielectronic
    • By lofielectronic 15th Feb 17, 9:55 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    lofielectronic
    Anyone know how to delete a Goofbid Account

Thanks
    Originally posted by SteveJW
    They have a link for that here;

https://www.goofbid.com/close_my_account.html
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Feb 17, 5:38 PM
    • 25,094 Posts
    • 9,959 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I've never quite got the significance of having, say, a 2 - 3 second lead time over a 6 second one. At either time interval there is no opportunity for a non-sniper to see your bid and react with a higher one, so you are only competing with other snipes. In which case it is surely better to have the earlier bid as they take precedence. For example if I snipe at 6 seconds for £20 and you snipe at 2 seconds with £20.50 - I win because you are trying to bid below the bid increment, had you sniped at 7 seconds you would have won as I would have been below your maximum bid.

I use Gixen by the way, and have never had a problem with them.

SP
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy
    Been there and done that myself, sniping in person not using a service though. I lost an item even though my bid would have been the highest.

"would have" being the operative phrase. My bid was not above the limit of the previous snipe.

ie. £xx bid where the next bid must be 20p more than the last one. My bid was onbly 18p more and because i bid with less than 5 seconds to go there was no chance to alter the bid amount.

If i had gone in a few seconds earlier my bid would have won. All for the sake of 2p and leaving it too late. Did i learn? nope i still do it.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • 1luckystar
    • By 1luckystar 17th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    1luckystar
    has anyone that uses goofbid for seller history had any issues with the tool? as for the past few days I am not able to see seller history and it is saying 'seller has not listed any items'.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 17th Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    steveE2
    has anyone that uses goofbid for seller history had any issues with the tool? as for the past few days I am not able to see seller history and it is saying 'seller has not listed any items'.
    Originally posted by 1luckystar
    I contacted Goofbid about this and they say they have been updating there servers and This is something our developers are currently investigating and should be working as normal very soon
    • 1luckystar
    • By 1luckystar 17th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    1luckystar
    I have sent them mail and they said the same, its working ok now. Glad they fixed it.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • adindas
    • By adindas 16th Apr 17, 11:20 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 1,495 Thanks
    adindas
    They have a link for that here;

https://www.goofbid.com/close_my_account.html
    Originally posted by lofielectronic
    Has anyone tried to cancel / delete the old Goofbid Account and after sometimes around 6 months (say) try to create a new account and the clock for free to use will restart again ??
    Last edited by adindas; 16-04-2017 at 3:18 PM.
    • bris
    • By bris 16th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    bris
    If your going to pay for the service i wonder if you can hold them liable for failed bids?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    That doesn't even make sense. A snipe is only as good as the amount you want to pay, there are still plenty more people who will have a better bid already waiting.

Sniping never has and never will guarantee you will win a bid, all snipping does is catch the shillers and people who put in to low a bid but would maybe increase it if they had more time.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 16th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 1,495 Thanks
    adindas
    That doesn't even make sense. A snipe is only as good as the amount you want to pay, there are still plenty more people who will have a better bid already waiting.

Sniping never has and never will guarantee you will win a bid, all snipping does is catch the shillers and people who put in to low a bid but would maybe increase it if they had more time.
    Originally posted by bris
    I believe what forgotmyname means with failed bid here is the fail bid due to technical error from Goofbid although your maximum bid is still well above the final value. If happen quite a few times with Goofbid for unknown reason.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,591Posts Today

7,630Users online

Martin's Twitter