Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 21st Jan 17, 3:17 PM
    • 13,232Posts
    • 25,207Thanks
    onlyroz
    2017 Holidays?
    • 21st Jan 17, 3:17 PM
    2017 Holidays? 21st Jan 17 at 3:17 PM
    Have you booked to go anywhere fun this year?

I've just made the following bookings:

- Easter: Cottage rental in Burton Bradstock, Dorset. We stayed here last October and had a great time. It's a mile or so walk along the cliffs from West Bay, where they filmed Broadchurch. We'll be loading up on cream teas and doing plenty of fossil hunting

- May half-term: The kids will be packed off to a PGL summer camp near Swindon while we jolly off to the Isles of Scilly for a totally child-free break. With an apartment rental in Hugh-Town we hope it'll be as good as last year.

- August: A week in Bowness-On-Windermere, followed by a week in Alnwick. Both self-catering cottage rentals within walking distance of the respective town centres. In the lakes we will be walking and boating, and in Northumberland I intend to visit as many castles as possible, and also to do some "dune jumping" in Bamburgh. Methinks I might also invest in an English Heritage membership for the duration.
Page 5
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Apr 17, 12:51 PM
    • 35,080 Posts
    • 141,428 Thanks
    tommix
    My friend Basil and I are going on a camping holiday this year.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Apr 17, 1:06 PM
    • 7,941 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I'm going to Poole next week. I'm a 'Hells Angel' and every Tuesday Bikers from all over the Country meet up at Poole Harbour..So me and a few of my Compadre's are going down their to check out the action..
    Originally posted by tommix
    Funny you should say that tommix. I am going to Poole for a day out next week.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 10th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 10,392 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    Tarry
    Mini break to Dumfries area next month
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Apr 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Another couple of long weekends now booked in the peak district plus 4 more days and a long weekend booked in the lake district.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 10th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    • 10,392 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    Tarry
    Love the Lakes. I was in Bo Ness again Saturday - just for the day mind.

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Apr 17, 3:20 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Love the Lakes. I was in Bo Ness again Saturday - just for the day mind.
    Originally posted by Tarry
    That's one of the few places I try not to go. Its always too busy for me.
    • Piscean1991
    • By Piscean1991 10th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Piscean1991
    We've got a long weekend in the Lake District with family but no foreign holiday this year. We don't know if we can afford it just yet but we might end up getting something last minute and, if nothing else, we'll definitely get ourselves on a city break away in October.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 10th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 13,039 Posts
    • 228,686 Thanks
    mattytun
    I'm not booked up, but I usually get a late deal to mainland Spain.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 10th Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    • 10,392 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    Tarry
    That's one of the few places I try not to go. Its always too busy for me.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    yes it was pretty busy...so I see your point. Normally I go to quieter places or more random...
    Enjoyed Pooley Bridge the other week in the Eden Valley.

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 10th Apr 17, 5:53 PM
    • 25,903 Posts
    • 13,711 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Hoping to have a long weekend in the lakes in the summer. It will be youth hosteling which is pricey now so I'm waiting for them to announce an offer I can take advantage of. I will try to avoid the busy places if I can, buttermere, coniston, somewhere like that is the aim.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Apr 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    indesisiv
    yes it was pretty busy...so I see your point. Normally I go to quieter places or more random...
    Enjoyed Pooley Bridge the other week in the Eden Valley.
    Originally posted by Tarry
    If I am that side I normally stay at the other end of the lake, then boat it to pooley bridge and run back.

Hoping to have a long weekend in the lakes in the summer. It will be youth hosteling which is pricey now so I'm waiting for them to announce an offer I can take advantage of. I will try to avoid the busy places if I can, buttermere, coniston, somewhere like that is the aim.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Yeah I have just booked some stays in July, August and October. Ennerdale I think I picked up for £13 ish. Aug, October I have had to splash out, but needed somewhere to stay for a couple of races that i have so will be near glenridding and borrowdale for them.
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 10th Apr 17, 9:08 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Just had a weekend with my best friend in London, got a day trip to London again in May to meet a friend from Germany, then our big camping holiday with hubby and the dog to Dorset in June/July, another long weekend in London with my Mum in August. So far.
    PAYDBX 2017 #71 £1194.54 / £3053.49 * Xmas 2017 #8 £217 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64 inc Quidco to 2/11/16 £138.92 *
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 10th Apr 17, 9:44 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Was along the coast here today for lunch

If the weather was good I'd never leave these shores as its so absolutely sunning

Away to Scotland the end of the month, hopefully a weekend in London very soon, and if we do get a wash out again this summer, a week in Portugal come October.

Saving hard for the Big Long Haul trip
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 10th Apr 17, 10:05 PM
    • 25,903 Posts
    • 13,711 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    If I am that side I normally stay at the other end of the lake, then boat it to pooley bridge and run back.

Yeah I have just booked some stays in July, August and October. Ennerdale I think I picked up for £13 ish. Aug, October I have had to splash out, but needed somewhere to stay for a couple of races that i have so will be near glenridding and borrowdale for them.
    So many of them are charging £35 per night. Especially in peak periods.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Apr 17, 7:47 AM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    indesisiv
    So many of them are charging £35 per night. Especially in peak periods.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Yeah they do that if booking a long way in advance. Are you a member because that £3 off per night. Also when you stay you normally get a survey to do afterwards which is usually worth another 14% off.

The rest of my stays this year will be within a week of booking. I will just be seeing where I can actually get into and then go there. The nice thing about not being particularly worried about where you go As long as its near a mountain or three to run up I'm happy.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 25,903 Posts
    • 13,711 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Yeah they do that if booking a long way in advance. Are you a member because that £3 off per night. Also when you stay you normally get a survey to do afterwards which is usually worth another 14% off.

The rest of my stays this year will be within a week of booking. I will just be seeing where I can actually get into and then go there. The nice thing about not being particularly worried about where you go As long as its near a mountain or three to run up I'm happy.
    Even with £3 off it's still pricey. The surveys I get just enter you into a competition I think. I could be wrong though as I have usually booked all the stays I want by that time. So a code for money off another stay does not interest me by then.
    • King Weasel
    • By King Weasel 12th Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    King Weasel
    I've just booked a break in Alsace/Black Forest. But the main attraction was a day in Strasbourg. I met my wife there. We never went back and hoped to return for our 40th but had to postpone until she was better. Now I can go and I'm sure she will be coming too...
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Apr 17, 5:36 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 5,332 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Am at a place called Supetar on the island of Brac in Croatia at the moment, and having a great time.

Beautiful clean country, and warm friendly people.

10 out of 10.

Home next Wednesday for 3 weeks, then 3 weeks in Nerja in Spain.

Last edited by PompeyPete; 13-04-2017 at 7:40 AM.
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 18th Apr 17, 10:12 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Myself and SO are breaking in our passports with a trip to Berlin in 3 weeks. SO's first time on a jet plane. After that I am going to a festival here in UK in August.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 23rd Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 5,332 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Am at a place called Supetar on the island of Brac in Croatia at the moment, and having a great time.

Beautiful clean country, and warm friendly people.

10 out of 10.

Home next Wednesday for 3 weeks, then 3 weeks in Nerja in Spain.

Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Had such a great time in Croatia that we need a bit more of the area, this time as independents rather than in a group.

Just booked easyJet LGW to Split return 26/9-12/10 @ £203 for the pair of us including 20Kg each.

Couple of nights in the historic part of Split, then bus to Mostar in Bosnia Herzegovina. Stay there a few nights, then bus to Sarajevo for a few nights. Day running from each.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

4,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin