Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RedEars57
    • By RedEars57 21st Jan 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RedEars57
    GreenSpace / Thermotec replacement conservatory roof
    • 21st Jan 17, 11:23 AM
    GreenSpace / Thermotec replacement conservatory roof 21st Jan 17 at 11:23 AM
    Hello all,

I have a 17 year old victorian style conservatory with a polycarbonate roof, approx. 3.6M x 4.5M, 9 polycarbonate panels.

Usual problems of too cold in winter, too hot in summer. So I was looking at replacement roof options. I understand about needing planning permission, loading on the structure etc., so not so concerned about feedback on those areas

Whilst looking I came across the Thermotec option, enquired and had the 90 minute sales pitch from one of their resellers GreenSpace

The product theory sounds ok, very low U value, slight concern that they look ugly, but I guess they do the job. However the price seemed ridiculous to me. I was expecting £5 to £6K as they emphasise fitting is quick and easy, and no planning permission needed. I was told that list was around £12K, but with discount it could be £9.5K.

Does anyone have any feedback on this option?

I also need to replace some windows so I will be looking at £10.5 to £11K.

I am in a Southampton SO postcode so any thoughts on other options or local installers would be useful. Obviously I want to avoid the "overcladding" option. It is a new roof I want, but there seems to be a lot of variation in quality on these and the price range again is £10 to 12K.

I have looked at replacement conservatories with an Active Glass roof from Conservatoryonlineprices and for an existing base they are quoting up to £9K, or £5 to £6K for a new glass roof (but I anticipate there will be some strengthening needed so extra cost).

Does anyone have any thoughts on a glass roof option? Do they leave you with the same internal temperature issues as polycarbonate?

Is it just me or does it seem mad that a new conservatory is less than a new roof?
    Last edited by RedEars57; 21-01-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Page 1
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 21st Jan 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 21st Jan 17, 12:49 PM
    • 21st Jan 17, 12:49 PM
    I would stay away from ANY company that gave £2.5K discount. It means their initial price is hogwash and their second quote is also likely to be questionable! These are terrible practices used by cowboys to real the gullible in!
    • Wheatley1968
    • By Wheatley1968 11th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wheatley1968
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    Hard Selling Dishonest
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    I agree with phil24_7, I have sent you a private message RedEars57
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 23,439 Posts
    • 65,495 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    I have a real problem with the idea of these roofs.

Conservatories do not have to meet building regulations and so these companies are free to make whatever claims they want to without actually meeting any building regulations. The cost is more than that of a fully compliant roof on a proper extension, but doesn't meet the required u-value of a roof.

I would not be investing such money on something which is non-compliant, on a 17 year old structure which is not designed to be permanent and is not built on proper foundations.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 11-07-2017 at 5:18 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 3,319 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Furts
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    MiL has a conservatory with a tinted glass roof with easy clean glass. It receives direct sun, though it is not south facing. It does not over heat, but it was designed with adequate ventilation and to act as a thermal mass. The floor slab and the bungalow walls soak up the heat and any excess goes back into the bungalow which also soaks it up.

This conservatory will be vastly better than OP's with proper foundations, proper dwarf insulated walls, proper insulated floor slab, and the latest standard of double glazed units. This was built without great efforts to keep costs down. But all in it came at around £9000. To put this into perspective, it makes OP's prices for a roof look extortionate, or absurd, or both.

I second Doozergirl. Conservatories are short life, temporary structures, sold at extortionate prices, through unregulated sales channels, devoid of almost any regulation, and all too frequently outright bodged.

No way would I be spending circa £10000 to re roof a life expired 17 year old conservatory.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin