Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 20th Jan 17, 6:34 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport
    • 20th Jan 17, 6:34 PM
    MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport 20th Jan 17 at 6:34 PM
    BT is to hike the cost of broadband and some calls and will begin charging TV customers £3.50 for BT Sport, it announced today. But many of those affected will be able to leave their contract penalty-free, or can try and haggle a better deal...
    Read the full story:
    'BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 16
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 9,431 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Asked to be allowed to transfer contracts due to price rise . Was given a month to do so penalty free ( expires 21/3/17) . BT have just come back to me with an offer that puts me on a cheaper deal than current deal and BT Sport at £1.75 PM .Slight negative its a 24 month contract . But of course any price increase within that contract gives me a get out clause again .
    Thats unlimited Inf 1 + Line Rental + BT TV Entertainment Plus + BT Sport SD .
    circa £30 pm no April increase + BT Sport from August 2017 £1.75 pm .
    Thats a couple of quid less than i am paying now and last contract was cheaper than the contract 2015/16 .
    The two price increases would have pushed the price to £40 pm .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 18-03-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 29th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    How are people who canceled doing with their line rental refunds?

I have received a partial refund on my "final bill" of my broadband charge for the unused period of my last month which was a pleasant surprise.

However no mention of a line rental refund? So far I have online chatted who avoided the subject until forced and then insisted no refund and then when I quoted stuff said a supervisor would call me sometime?

Hmm. I wonder is it just me or does everyone have to fight for it?

(Still a bit grumpy over the non refundable £60 setup fee too but I did make a small profit so perhaps should not be).

Thanks
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 29th Mar 17, 3:37 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    Oh if anyone needs to quote it the link to the relevant forum post is;
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458/page/18

(At the bottom of the page). Thanks Doc N for the link somewhere deep in this thread.

guardian article
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-service
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 29th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    Oh they did call back. On our mobile oddly. India I would say. Insisted that as I left outside the 30 days from when the notification email was sent I deserved nothing. The fact I notified them I was leaving within 30 days and its not my fault it takes time to migrate did not seem to register.

End result as I was not happy with his answer the next team up will call me tomorrow evening?

I have to say I'm not convinced the first line support are actually able to do anything at all. They can just read you your existing bill and come up with theories on why it must be correct. Actually changing or correcting something does not seem to be an option.

Ah well onwards.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 2nd Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    Oh someone did call up eventually and apologised straight off and said yes I should get the line rental back. He has now added £150 credit to my account which will hopefully be paid to me some time.

That said if I had not known I was allowed the refund and had not persisted past the two people who denied it I would never have got it. Which does not strike me as an entirely honest process. How many people have missed out because they did not know to push?
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 5th Apr 17, 11:39 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    gener8or
    Update on my cancellation:

Was charged on final bill for ending contract early and equipment. Took me 1 hour to a Supervisor on live chat to get that credited.

Now account is closed and final credit in my bank, router sold on eBay for £40. Job done.

Just the deadlock for my £50 activation fee to sort. I sent them a final email before action 10 days ago without a response, going to escalate to the regulator tomorrow.

Been an interesting and very profitable journey, made a good few hundred pounds with cashback, reward card and amazon vouchers, router etc.

If they hadn't stiffed me with price rises ....
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 7th Apr 17, 6:31 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    I signed up to BT Unlimited Infinity 1 on 3rd January 2017 and it went live on Friday 10th February 2017. I paid for 12 months line rental in advance costing £205.08. Broadband was supposed to cost £11 a month for 12 months taken by monthly DD however I received a bill yesterday for £13.65 and there is supposed to be price increases although I didn't receive any notification.

"Refund: Line Rental 2 Apr-3 Apr 17 - £ 1.23
    This is a refund of your Line Rental which you paid in advance up to 3 Apr 2017

Our prices have changed. We've refunded what you paid in advance up to 3 Apr 2017 and recharged you at the new price

Broadband and Calls 2 Apr-3 Apr 17 £ 1.38

Refund: Broadband and Calls - £ 1.68 2 Apr-3 Apr 17
    This is a refund of the price of your Package which you paid in advance up to 3 Apr 2017

Broadband and Calls £ 3.06 2 Apr-3 Apr 17
    This is the cost of your Package which now includes line rental up to 3 Apr 2017 at the new price of £47.49

The following advance charge for your package includes your line and applies from 4 Apr 2017 to 3 May 2017

Broadband and Calls 4 Apr-3 May 17 £ 32.49
    This is made up of:
    Broadband and Calls £ 47.49

This is the cost of your Package at £47.49 a month, charged in advance from 4 Apr 2017 to 3 May 2017. This gives you:
    Calling Plan Unlimited Weekend Calls
    Broadband Unlimited BT Infinity 1
    Line Rental is now included in your package

Yet to discover BT TV? See bt.com/bttv for a great TV service

Credit: Special offer discount - £ 15.00 4 Apr-3 May 17
    You get your Package at a special rate. We show this on your bill by giving you a refund of £15.00 a month
    Your special offer discount lasts for 12 months continues

Credit: Line Rental Saver 4 Apr-3 May 17 - £ 18.99
    Reduced line rental with Line Rental Saver
    Total rental and other charges = £ 13.65"

How much will I be charged on a monthly basis from now on? Is there any way I can get informed of any further price increases?
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 8th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    Update on my cancellation:

Just the deadlock for my £50 activation fee to sort. I sent them a final email before action 10 days ago without a response, going to escalate to the regulator tomorrow.
    Originally posted by gener8or
    Out of curiosity did you ever get anywhere with this?

I see you appear to have returned to BT already?
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 9th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    lstar337
    If you've pre-paid then the rise won't affect you would it? So you wouldn't then be able to cancel?

Edit: line rental at least.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Yes it does. They put a charge on the bill to make up the extra amount. It's one of the reasons I left the thieving scumbags.

Are argued with them about it, but they just said put up with it or leave.
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 18th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    gener8or
    Out of curiosity did you ever get anywhere with this?

I see you appear to have returned to BT already?
    Originally posted by mnbvcxz
    Hi sorry for the delay, yes I did return to BT, had no choice as after 2 months with plusnet they put their prices up FFS.

Anyway back with BT and another £200 reward card and £70 TCB. Crazy.

However I haven't let the £50 activation fee refund go away, now created a dispute using the Online Dispute Service. Waiting for a decision from the Ombudsman, takes about 90 days.

Interestingly I challenged plusnet about the activation charge after 2 months, they said non refundable but after I made an official complaint they refunded my £25.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Jul 17, 7:10 AM
    • 6,184 Posts
    • 19,114 Thanks
    Doc N
    However I haven't let the £50 activation fee refund go away, now created a dispute using the Online Dispute Service. Waiting for a decision from the Ombudsman, takes about 90 days.
    Originally posted by gener8or
    I think quite a lot of us would appreciate an update on this in due course.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,343Posts Today

8,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin