Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 20th Jan 17, 6:34 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 74Thanks
    MSE Nick
    MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport
    • 20th Jan 17, 6:34 PM
    MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport 20th Jan 17 at 6:34 PM
    BT is to hike the cost of broadband and some calls and will begin charging TV customers £3.50 for BT Sport, it announced today. But many of those affected will be able to leave their contract penalty-free, or can try and haggle a better deal...
    Read the full story:
    'BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 15
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 9th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    WillPS
    Switched to TalkTalk on March 1st. No line rental saver refund despite being promised one twice!

Called and will have a revised bill in 14 days (!!) showing a £160 line rental saver refund.

You can see why BT get bad reviews as their customer service really is quite poor. I can't really complain as I've effectively been paid ~£200 for 3 months of fibre connection (not including whatever the Smarthub and Youview box are worth), but of all the ISPs I've been with they have been the most faff.
    Last edited by WillPS; 09-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 9th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 9,088 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Switched to TalkTalk on March 1st. No line rental saver refund despite being promised one twice!
    Originally posted by WillPS

Use the BT Complaints .
    • Therockett
    • By Therockett 11th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Therockett
    Need some advice please. We have not received notification of the price rise from BT, contacted BT today to check the rise affects us and was told an email was sent in 7th Feb, therefore we are outside of the 30 day period. I have checked my inbox, spam folder and trash and cannot find any evidence of an email being sent on the date they said. BT insist we were notified, am I within my rights to cancel as we received no notification
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 5,988 Posts
    • 18,874 Thanks
    Doc N
    Need some advice please. We have not received notification of the price rise from BT, contacted BT today to check the rise affects us and was told an email was sent in 7th Feb, therefore we are outside of the 30 day period. I have checked my inbox, spam folder and trash and cannot find any evidence of an email being sent on the date they said. BT insist we were notified, am I within my rights to cancel as we received no notification
    Originally posted by Therockett
    Here's an extract from the email:

"You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something or leave, and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to contact us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time."

The bit in bold should help you considerably - they've used the word 'receiving', so if you state categorically that it wan't received there's very little they can do but resend it, allowing you a further time period.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 5,988 Posts
    • 18,874 Thanks
    Doc N

Called and will have a revised bill in 14 days (!!) showing a £160 line rental saver refund.

You can see why BT get bad reviews as their customer service really is quite poor. I can't really complain as I've effectively been paid ~£200 for 3 months of fibre connection (not including whatever the Smarthub and Youview box are worth), but of all the ISPs I've been with they have been the most faff.
    Originally posted by WillPS
    Similar situation here. No mention of LRS refund on the final bill, and they even argued that was correct when I contacted them via online chat to get it corrected. It took a reference to Ofcom, their own forums and a Guardian article to get them to agree to repay, and I suspect they're cheating ex-customers out of hundreds of thousands of pounds by adopting this underhand approach.

TalkTalk come in for some stick, but BT are infinitely worse to deal with.
    • Therockett
    • By Therockett 11th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Therockett
    Here's an extract from the email:

"You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something or leave, and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to contact us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time."

The bit in bold should help you considerably - they've used the word 'receiving', so if you state categorically that it wan't received there's very little they can do but resend it, allowing you a further time period.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Thank you will mention that text when we speak with the manager on Monday
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 11th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    gener8or
    I've opened a compliant about the activation fee of £50, saying it's an unfair charge as I have only been a customer for a few months.
    I asked them for a refund but they refused.

We are now in deadlock. Had a letter.
    What's the thought of taking it to the frugality regulator?

Thanks
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 5,988 Posts
    • 18,874 Thanks
    Doc N
    I've opened a compliant about the activation fee of £50, saying it's an unfair charge as I have only been a customer for a few months.
    I asked them for a refund but they refused.

We are now in deadlock. Had a letter.
    What's the thought of taking it to the frugality regulator?

Thanks
    Originally posted by gener8or
    Interesting! Ofcom requires the provider to "allow its Subscribers to withdraw from their contract without penalty", as I'm sure you know, and will have argued. Whether losing the connection/activation fees counts as a penalty is, I suppose, arguable - but it's an argument worth pursuing.

Certainly no harm in pushing it to Ofcom, and I think a lot of people would be very interested in the outcome.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Interesting! Ofcom requires the provider to "allow its Subscribers to withdraw from their contract without penalty", as I'm sure you know, and will have argued. Whether losing the connection/activation fees counts as a penalty is, I suppose, arguable - but it's an argument worth pursuing.

Certainly no harm in pushing it to Ofcom, and I think a lot of people would be very interested in the outcome.
    Not a chance in hell Ofcom will rule in their favour. It's an activation fee, not a refundable deposit. Total waste of time.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 5,988 Posts
    • 18,874 Thanks
    Doc N
    Not a chance in hell Ofcom will rule in their favour. It's an activation fee, not a refundable deposit. Total waste of time.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Not that clear cut at all. LRS isn't a refundable deposit either - though it turned out to be after Ofcom intervened.

Anyway, what's to lose?
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 13th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    gener8or
    I was thinking its an unfair penalty, when selecting BT I countered the £50 activation into the 12 month contract price, due to BT prices rises I had to break out of that contract so I feel stiffed by a proportion of £50.

Going to give them one more chance to refund it and then take it to the regulator .... does it cost BT when I take it to OFCOM?
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    boatman
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    If you have to pay another activation fee to another provider for effectively the same period, why shouldn't you get a pro rata amount back?
    BT have made the decision to change the contract, they need to take the consequences.
    Last edited by boatman; 13-03-2017 at 4:20 PM. Reason: ll
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 5,988 Posts
    • 18,874 Thanks
    Doc N
    I was thinking its an unfair penalty, when selecting BT I countered the £50 activation into the 12 month contract price, due to BT prices rises I had to break out of that contract so I feel stiffed by a proportion of £50.

Going to give them one more chance to refund it and then take it to the regulator .... does it cost BT when I take it to OFCOM?
    Originally posted by gener8or
    Looking a little more closely at this (and I do hope you feed back to us), I think it won't be Ofcom that resolves it for you, because they say:

"We are not responsible for regulating:

disputes between you and your telecoms provider;"

However, these people do:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

and it will cost BT:

Cost

CostsOmbudsman Services is funded by the companies it handles complaints about. We charge an annual subscription fee and a case fee for each complaint we accept.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    boatman
    I was led to believe it was about £250 if the case goes to the ombudsman.

This is for the financial ombudsman, which may well be a more expensive process, but gives an idea.
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/businesses/answers/funding_a5.html
    • Michelle0612
    • By Michelle0612 14th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michelle0612
    I did never recieve a letter from BT telling me about the price rise, i rang them today to cancel and they say its gone 30 days from the date they allowed. Is there a way i can still cancel as they want £467 to cancel.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 14th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    shaggy
    I did never recieve a letter from BT telling me about the price rise, i rang them today to cancel and they say its gone 30 days from the date they allowed. Is there a way i can still cancel as they want £467 to cancel.
    Originally posted by Michelle0612
    escalate it as a complaint. Phone or online chat as usual and say you wish to raise a complaint. THe complaints team were very good in dealing with my complaint (see thread : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5613544 )
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 14th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    VisionMan

Theres certainly no harm in submitting it, but a refund would be highly doubtful. I'd still submit the complaint to Ofcom, as it costs nothing to do so, but in my opinion wouldn't be pursued.
    • Therockett
    • By Therockett 16th Mar 17, 7:20 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Therockett
    Originally posted by Michelle0612
    We had the same as posted further up. We are now in deadlock as they insist an email was sent. We know the email was never received as we've done an email recovery request to Gmail and there was definitely no email from BT on the day in question. We are now going to take it to the next stage. We were just three days after the 30 days when we contacted them and they point blank refused to budge.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    • 9,088 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Is your GMail address the one you use for BT login ??
    • Therockett
    • By Therockett 16th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Therockett
    Is your GMail address the one you use for BT login ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Yes and we've confirmed with BT that it is the address they supposedly sent the email too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,751Posts Today

7,432Users online

Martin's Twitter