Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    • 207Posts
    • 890Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Dreaming of financial freedom!
    • 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    Dreaming of financial freedom! 19th Jan 17 at 2:37 PM
    Hi everyone reading this!

I hadn't thought about writing my own MFW diary until another user suggested it, so I have no idea if anyone will be interested in what I have to say, but I'll just post it and you can ignore if it's rubbish So here's my story...

I turn 30 next month and I would like to be mortgage free as soon as possible. My husband and I work in IT and, at least in my company, it seems to be that most jobs are being moved abroad. My dad also worked in IT was made redundant at 53 before my parents had finished their mortgage so I think that is why I am so anxious about having mortgage debt and would like to pay it off ASAP.

We bought our first house in 2006 and sold it three years later in the middle of the recession for a loss of £6k, which wasn't ideal but it allowed us to purchase a house we couldn't have otherwise afforded as the vendors needed a quick sale so were prepared to drop their price. We moved in to the new house at the back end of 2009 and didn't need to do anything to it, which is a good job as we didn't have any spare money at the time! After a few years I got a job that paid well and we started overpaying on the mortgage, which we decided to do rather than save up as we would get a nice lump sum if we were made redundant. I loved seeing the mortgage go down!

In 2011 my dad was diagnosed with a progressive neurodegenerative illness, which means his brain is slowly dying and was given a life expectancy of approximately 7 years, although it differs for everyone. My parents decided to make the most of their time together and bought a static caravan by a lake, which they lived in happily for a couple of years before my dad started having too many falls to continue living there and they moved into an independent living unit near Holmfirth, which isn't too far from where my in-laws live so it made visiting them all on our weekends up from Nottingham so much easier! By 2014 my dad had deteriorated quite a bit and my husband and I discussed leaving Nottingham so we could live closer to our parents in Yorkshire. At this point, the house was valued at £170,000 and the mortgage was at £108,000. Had we stayed and continued paying the same amount each month we would be mortgage free by 2021 but if we moved we would either have to rent (which we both saw as dead money) or buy another place that would be more expensive for a comparable house so it was a difficult decision. Around the same time my father-in-law got cancer, so we decided that moving up would be the best option. The only problem was that my dad was deteriorating rapidly and it takes ages for houses in our area to sell so we'd miss the last bit of time with my dad in a reasonable condition and could miss being there for the in-laws when they needed us through the cancer treatment process. At this point, I suggested we rent out our house and buy another house closer to our parents. I first spoke to my mortgage provider and asked if there was a way to release equity from our house and move it onto a buy-to-let mortgage then purchase another property. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow us to do this, but luckily MSE sings the praises of London and Country mortgage brokers and as they don't charge a fee I thought it would be worth giving them a call. I am so glad I did! My advisor Adam found me a new residential mortgage and let-to-buy mortgage (which is apparently very similar to a buy-to-let mortgage but it is when you already owned the property when you decided to rent it out) so we could use equity from our house. A couple of months later we moved into our new house and our old house was rented out shortly after.

After 2 years, our fixed deals have just come to an end and this is where we now stand...

Residential mortgage:
    Started at £216,000 on 3.29% with no OPs allowed.
    From January 4th, the property has 80% LTV and is on 1.99% for 3 years with 10% OP allowed. Started at £204,000 but as I had to guess what amount I would need when I first applied 3 months ago, we were refunded £1,404 so the mortgage now stands at £202,596. The standard mortgage payment £916 but I set the DD up at £1,100 as that's what we paid before so there is an overpayment there without any hardship. I can't wait to see this go under £200k, and then I will set £10k goals.

Buy-to-Let mortgage:
    Started at £136,000 on 4.79%, and we started making overpayments of £250pm.
    From February the property will have a 73% LTV and will be on 2.64% for 2 years. Again, we applied for this mortgage 3 months ago and I guessed £129,000 but when I checked yesterday it stood at £127,895 so we will be due some money back and will pay that off the mortgage straight away.The standard DD is £638 but I am considering whether to leave the payments at £1,000 as they previously were.

The only fly in the ointment now is that our jobs aren't as secure as they used to be, and there are rumours of redundancy packages being dropped to statutory rates, which I understand isn't very much. This has made me think that we ought to have some savings in case one or both of us gets made redundant. We have £1500 in premium bonds saved up for house repairs but that wasn't much of a safety net. Luckily, we have just received a cheque for £4,900 from my husband's stock that he just sold so for the first time ever we finally have some security. We would have previously put it straight on the mortgage but with the current uncertainty around jobs it is nice to have a bit of a safety net. The timing couldn't be better!

I'll be honest. I'm rubbish with budgets. I don't know how much we spend and I know I could be a lot more careful with my spending. We do have takeaways and eat out quite a bit, mainly because we both work long hours and very tired on an evening and don't want to then spend a big chunk of our evenings cooking. If I'm even more honest, part of it is laziness However, I want to change that as I'm sure we could save some real money and be healthier if we cook more so I'm thinking maybe meal plans, online shopping so I don't get tempted by add on products and don't have to give up a load of time to go to the supermarket, and maybe the odd ready meal in place of a takeaway when we're feeling tired / lazy. I am also going to have a look into slow cooker recipes that I could put on in a morning so it's ready for us as soon as we finish working.

My goal is to start logging what we spend and make a proper budget!

Some (limited) financial info:
    Husband earns around £3,000 net each month.
    I earn around £1,700 net each month.
    Rental income, after expenses, is £678 per month.

Mortgage 1 £1,100
    Mortgage 2 £322 (£1,000 payment minus £678 rent, assuming we keep the payment the same)
    Car loan £500 (ends in October 2017)
    Loan to In-Laws £250 (not accruing any interest)
    Water bill £26
    Council Tax £128
    Gas & Electric £94.14
    BG Home Care £29.50
    Mobile 1 £13
    Mobile 2 £20
    Sky TV, internet and phone £70.93 (up for renewal tomorrow so will haggle or switch to Virgin)
    Car insurance £632 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in April)
    Home insurance £491 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in December)
    Pet insurance £69.61 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in November)
    Landlord insurance £219.21 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Rent Guarantee and Legal insurance £125 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Gas Safety Certificate £60 (annual, paid in February)

Unsure on food and entertainment costs (really need to get a grip on this) but after paying our credit cards we end up with between £500 and £1500 left at the end of the month, which we have recently been spending on home improvements, insurance, Christmas etc. so we haven't saved much of this. We are also thinking about joining a gym so that might also be another expense in future. If I think of any other expenses I will add them but I think that's pretty much it for now.

I will try and update this as and when I get more information or manage to make savings / OPs. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 20-01-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the current mortgage values.
Page 8
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 4th May 17, 9:18 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Jessy103
    I don't know how these councils getaway with things like this! Good for you on calling the papers!
    Congratulations on your winnings! X
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount July 2017 - £62,900.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£3,501.87
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 5th May 17, 11:20 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks SSS and Jessy. It was bugging me last night that the deadline is so short and people need to know about it so this morning I've also submitted a complaint to the council and asked them to re-issue the letters giving an alternative contact method and a longer deadline so hopefully they will do something about it. I also put a post on Facebook to let everyone on my friends list know about it so if they have someone they know in that situation without internet they can go and help them. I think that's all I can do and I feel content now.

I've started listing more items on fleaBay, so I'm hoping I might be able to declutter a bit and make some money. I've been reading tips for carboot sales online and some people have said that things normally sell for 50p to about £5 on average so I've listed some of the more expensive items on the Bay as collection only in the hope that they get snapped up for £20. If they don't sell I'll have to take my chance at a car boot sale. To be honest, I'm slightly more concerned at getting my house tidy again at this point, but the MSE in me is trying to push getting some money back as a priority

The sun is shining again and I'm ready for the weekend.... Have a good one!
    Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Current £10,125
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Current -£197,000
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Current -£125,800
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Current -£3,577.63
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Current -£35,655.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / 29th April 2017 -£14,003.85
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 8th May 17, 4:31 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    What a fabulous weekend! The weather was nice and I got to see my brother and his friends. On Saturday I had lunch with DH and his brother at Pizza Hut as a treat after cleaning the house from top to bottom. We had hoped for the lunch time buffet but the website just says it is served at weekends at selected restaurants - Birstall isn't one of them Anyway, BIL found a voucher code online for 2-4-1 mains so we ordered two pizzas between us. They messed up the order and brought us one pizza with the two flavours that we had ordered for two pizzas and told us to nibble on that while they corrected the order. We expected another half and half pizza but they brought us the original order of two pizzas! They said that as it was their mistake the half and half pizza was on them so we ended up taking another pizza away with us and left a nice tip for the waitress. We were disappointed to hear that the waiters only receive half the tip though! She didn't know what happened to the other half, so we really hope it goes to the people working in the kitchen and not in Pizza Hut's pocket. After Pizza Hut DH dropped me back at home and went to see his Grandma. My brother and his friends were already there, and mum was running round after them, just like in the good old days. I told her to sit down and got her a drink then I ironed my brother's shirt and trousers (cheeky thing had brought them up and expected mum to iron them for him!). I then joined them and we all had drinks and a catch up until their taxi arrived to take them into Leeds. It was lovely.

Yesterday we had a breakfast sandwich each and then my brother, and his friend who had stayed over to avoid hotel fees, set off back home. We took my mum home and I replaced the belt on her vac. I was seriously impressed! Not only had she decided to try and fix the problem rather than just buying a new one as she would previously had done, she ordered the right part for it herself. This is the woman who up until a couple of years ago could only manage to turn on the computer and open up solitaire. I am so proud of her and how she has coped since Dad became ill and she had to start doing everything like this herself. And of course, I'm proud of her money saving ways We finished the day with a nice walk through the woods with the in-laws, with a short stop at a pub for a drink mid-way, and then left over pizza for tea. Definitely a good weekend

After a lovely weekend it's back to reality with a resounding thud! It really feels like one step forward, two steps back When we bought our house the survey flagged up that there was an issue with the roof above our porch and living room. It said some of the tiles were broken, most likely from being walked on by window cleaners etc., and then a couple of months ago the pointing from the side of the tiles fell out. Our next door neighbours have been having work done on their roof so I asked for a quote to put right the issues on the small roof, and to check the main roof. They came at the weekend to sort the issues, but found bigger issues while they were at it. The flashing is cracked and leaking into the felt below and the builders hadn't laid the roof correctly over the window (they had pointed under the tiles rather than have the tiles hanging over a gutter). It would cost £1000 to replace the flashing and put guttering over the living room window bit, but it would then dump water over the side of the porch every time it rained, so instead we're having the whole roof relaid with new tiles, new guttering that runs all the way round and plastic ends on the tiles so we don't have to repoint in future, which he quoted £1,500 for. There was also a problem with the felt on the bottom of the main roof so that's another £500-£700 for that, and the work at the weekend was £300. Luckily he agreed to do all of the work £2,300 and said we can pay in installments. The company has good reviews and he lives round the corner from us, and he seemed genuine so I think this is the best for all concerned. He gets another job in his book and we get the work done straight away rather than having to save up for it (I think it takes a while to withdraw bonds and we'd prefer not to if we can avoid it).

We also had a call from the letting agency in Nottingham. The front door handle is broken and has to be replaced, and the integrated washer/dryer won't drain or unlock the door so they're having to send someone round to try and fix it, otherwise it will be a replacement job. It just feels never ending today!

On the positive side (desperately clinging to positives today!) I received a £19.95 payout from Prolific and my OnePoll is up to £38.70. I also received my free box of washing powder from Bzzzagent that I need to use and review. I've just put a load in and it's already filled the air with a lovely fragrance.

Tonight I'm going for a walk with DH and the in-laws. On the way I'm hoping to stop off and pick up 2 dump bins that I got the winning bid for on fleabay. They're those metal baskets that you find in supermarket aisles with offer products in, but they look fairly small. I thought they would be useful for car boot sales etc for displaying books/DVDs or items all at the same price. They cost £5 for the two and I think they will come in really useful. I've messaged the seller and asked if I can collect on my way to the country park that we're walking round. Fingers crossed that'll work for them so I don't have to make a special trip.
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 8th May 17, 5:41 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    I almost forgot...

I managed to get my blood test done at the hospital in under 30 minutes so there was no car parking to pay for - £2.80 saved. I also rang Amazon as our toaster that we bought just under 2 years ago has broken, and after replacing the fuse is still broken. It came with a 3 year guarantee but as they wouldn't be able to send out a replacement for another 2 months they offered a full refund instead so that's £48 due to be refunded. We can buy a replacement from Argos with the £10 voucher I got free from work so rather than having to fork out for a new toaster, we will actually end up £15 better off I also rang Virgin Media as my bill was higher than expected. It turns out that when I signed up and was offered anytime calls for free, what they should had told me was that they would add on an extra service and give a £5 discount for 3 months, the difference being that I have to pay £5.50 for a month and 4 days of a service I won't use. However, at the same time I queried the credit that I had been told I would get for the interruptions in our internet service and ended up being credited £14.66 so it worked out in our favour in the end

Small wins, but today they mean so much!
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 8th May 17, 7:33 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Sorry to hear about the problems you've had ch4rly! When it rains it blooming pours!! Like you say though, you've got to look for the small positives! Take care x
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 8th May 17, 8:30 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    on the positive side at least the roof problems have been found in fairly reasonable weather. can you imagine if it was winter! small blessings the way you seem to look after others you'll be rewarded again soon.
    Have a great week.
    365 day penny challenge - £90.00/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £540.00/£1000 Stage 1
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 8th May 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 7,695 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Ahhh Charley, how frustrating about the roof.

Good to hear you had a lovely weekend though I didn't realise you lived in Birstall (Leicestershire I'm assuming!) that's so close to me!

Have a fab week!
    Emergency savings- £3750.96 /£6000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1735.84/ £2150. 80.7%
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£324.05 May £120.33 June £279.15 July: £172.36 Aug: £195.74
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 9th May 17, 9:05 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks Guys for the kind words, it all helps in keeping me positive

No KK, unfortunately it's Birstall near Leeds, otherwise I'd be round yours ordering some of your gorgeous jewellery!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 9th May 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 7,695 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Awww bless you for your compliment Charley x
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£324.05 May £120.33 June £279.15 July: £172.36 Aug: £195.74
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 10th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    I had a bit of luck yesterday (much needed in light of recent events!)... the in-laws and I had wanted to have a car boot sale before DH and I go on holiday at the end of May. The in-laws checked out their local car boot sale, which they said was very quiet and did not seem to be a good one, so then we looked online at car boot websites. It seems most don't start until June, most likely because the weather is quite unpredictable at this time of year. The only other one we found nearby was full so we resigned ourselves to the fact that we wouldn't be able to sell at a car boot sale until after the holiday. However, yesterday I was looking at the local community's Facebook page and there is going to be a table top sale and car boot sale at the local community centre on 21st May, and they had 2 spaces left - yipee! I've booked them and need to go and pay this week. I'm really happy that we found somewhere to go before our holiday. Fingers crossed we'll manage to sell things. I've ordered a table from Amazon, which is quite pricey (£40, down from £65) but it looks very sturdy and holds up to 400kg so it won't bow or break under the weight of car boot items, and it should last for years so we'll be able to get many car boots and other sale opportunities from it. I even got a nice display table cover for it so I'll be able to sell nicer things on it and do actual displays for my new stock items when the opportunity arises.
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 10th May 17, 1:02 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Good luck with the car boot ch4rly! x
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 11th May 17, 9:46 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Woohoo! I've just requested my payout from OnePoll. Phew, it's taken about 4 months but I finally got there Now the hardest part - waiting to receive the money. I'm so impatient. I think, from reading Man v Mortgage, that the OnePoll payout takes a few days. It took 4 months to build up so what's a few more days?

The table for the car boot sale is expected today by 11:30. I am so glad it will be here in plenty of time so I can check that it is ok and have time to get a replacement if it isn't. It got very good reviews so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 11-05-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 11th May 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 7,695 Thanks
    Kittenkirst

Yay for hittin the onepoll amount, fab stuff!!
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 11th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Just had a call from the letting agent. The door handle is going to cost us £85 as it is non-standard. A bit of a bummer that it costs more than a normal one, but this should hopefully last a while. They also said that the appliance guy found a lollipop stick in the washing machine and the tenants had broken the handle trying to force it open, so they are going to pursue the tenants to pay for that as it's their fault for breaking it and shouldn't be our responsibility - hopefully that's £70 that we won't have to pay, if the tenants agree. Fingers crossed!
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 11th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Hi ch4rly - I have just found your diary and spent the evening catching up.

You have had a busy few months and the sound of all those meals had me hungry! I see I am not alone in working with my partner - Mr Moomin likes the fact I have listen to him in the office if nowhere else.

Have subscribed
    Outstanding Mortgage - 141,617.85 (74% LTV)
    Current end date: March 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 12th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Hi MoominMama, nice to have you along for the journey I can't believe you spent all that time reading my diary!

We work in the same team (and when he's not travelling we both work from home), and there was only one occasion when I ended up working under him for a few months... he liked to make out to our friends that he was my boss so I had to obey him at work - in a jokey way - but it actually worked really well. He was genuinely grateful for the help I was giving him and I has happy to work for someone who appreciated my efforts, and of course we could discuss things at any time, however it is a conflict of interest so it didn't last long before he was moved onto a new account. Probably the only time I let him think he was in charge
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th May 17, 9:36 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Morning All, hope you had a good weekend We had friends over this weekend - one from East Sussex (awfully long drive for him) who stayed the whole weekend and two from Derby who just came up for the day... plus the BIL stayed over for the weekend too. We had a Chinese meal on Friday when our friend arrived, which is now the usual routine, and then we went shopping after we'd eaten so we were a little more restrained! We bought lots of lovely food for Saturday and Sunday, including snacks for Eurovision and game playing, but we didn't break the bank which we certainly would have done if we'd gone shopping hungry! We really enjoyed watching Eurovision and laughing along at Graham Norton's commentary, both on the TV and over Twitter. All the alcohol was from our bar so no extra spends there. All in all, a very enjoyable weekend.

This weekend is the car boot sale so I must get my bum into gear and start sorting items to sell and price them up. Having read tips online, I think the best course of action is to price them slightly higher than I'm wanting for them so the customers have room to haggle so they feel they have a real bargain. In all honesty, I'd take anything for them though if it means I can declutter! I have the table (still to check) 2 dump bins that I won on eBay for £5 (those metal baskets you see in supermarkets in the aisle that they fill full of the latest offer - these fold up flat so great for transportation) and I just won a gridwall display from the same seller over the weekend for £5 so I need to go and pick that up. Now I just need some S hooks. I should be able to make a good display from all of this, not just for the car boot sale but also if I do another gala or table top sale.

We're on the countdown to our holiday now. Next Thursday is our last day at work. I'm very excited, but I also have my sensible head on and am thinking about all the laundry and packing that needs to done beforehand, and I need to make sure the utility room is decluttered for when mum stays so she can get through to do her laundry in peace - it is currently stuffed full of car boot sale items and laundry that needs to be put away. It'll be a slog but I'll feel much better when it's done

Still awaiting my payout from Onepoll, but to be fair I was expecting it to take a while. I've received £5.23 from TCB and have another £10.50 on the way though, so that will help me towards this month's £300 target.

Have a good Monday
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 15th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 7,695 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sounds like everything is going to plan Charley- great work!

I also work with my other half in the same department but we're the same level: I think we'd bicker something chronic if one of us was in charge

Good luck with your car boot sale at the weekend- sending positive vibes for nothing to be brought back home and for lots of pennies being made!
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th May 17, 11:00 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Hi All,

Hoorah, it's pay day today... best day of the month! Perfect time to write another post

I had a bit of a win the other day. I received the refund from the faulty toaster, but unfortunately it was paid back as an Amazon gift card balance, so no actual cash but it will save me money in future. I had a look at Argos and they sell the same toaster, and as I had a £10 gift card from work I thought I'd get it from there. My Grandma also wanted something getting from Argos so gave me the money to pick it up for her. When I got to Argos, I was delighted to find out that I could use my Nectar points and gift card together so I didn't have to pay a penny myself! That's £55 saved for the toaster and £15 in cash from my Grandma that I can use towards my £300 target. The Nectar credit card is really paying off and I still have £145 of the reward points left to spend (there was a double point reward offer when I took out the card, I think it's normally £100 so check first if you're considering getting one... and always pay in full to avoid interest ).

A few items have sold on fleabay, which I am so happy about. I haven't had a sale in a while so I really needed one to keep my spirits up. Sold a hifi stand for £10 - they guy messaged me saying he wanted to buy it rather than clicking buy it now and paid cash so there were no fees to pay - yay! I now have dad's hifi kit to sell, which the guy would be worth quite a bit and he may be interested in buying it. Fingers crossed that will sell. I also sold an old watch that was quite scratched and needed a new battery - I am amazed what people will buy, and I sold my old Rainbows/Girl Guide handbook. I'm still sorting items for the car boot sale on Sunday but I now think that anything that doesn't sell can go on fleabay as it just might sell after all!

Speaking of the car boot sale, tonight and tomorrow DH and I will continue to sort items for selling and price up. I'm excited and nervous. I'm a bit worried that noone will want any of our stuff (which would be a little embarrassing in front of the in-laws) and I really hope it doesn't rain. I'm also a bit unsure of pricing but I'm happy to take offers so let's hope we get some hagglers there!

I had another quote for the roof work, and it came in a lot cheaper than the first one. This second guy was recommended by my FIL and he was really great. He explained what needed doing and why, and what doesn't need doing yet. He came in at £1,250 so even with the money that I owe the first guy for the few repairs he did, it's still £800 cheaper overall. Finally, a win with this house!
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th May 17, 11:13 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Almost forgot, OnePoll is now back up to £4.45 - 11% of the way there Prolific is almost ready for another payout at £17.72 confirmed. YouGov is slowly but surely climbing and is at £12.75.

Also, Grandma's blue badge application was approved so it will be so much easier taking her shopping or out for a meal going forwards! No more trying to squeeze the wheelchair up the side of the car or having to push her down the whole length of the car park just so I could find somewhere with enough space to open the door fully. I wish I'd thought of it sooner. I was going to pay for it but she asked my mum how much they charge and said she will pay the £10. I would have gladly paid it for her, but with the cost of holiday and roof repairs I will happily accept it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,520Posts Today

9,129Users online

Martin's Twitter