Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    • 154Posts
    • 590Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Dreaming of financial freedom!
    • 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    Dreaming of financial freedom! 19th Jan 17 at 2:37 PM
    Hi everyone reading this!

I hadn't thought about writing my own MFW diary until another user suggested it, so I have no idea if anyone will be interested in what I have to say, but I'll just post it and you can ignore if it's rubbish So here's my story...

I turn 30 next month and I would like to be mortgage free as soon as possible. My husband and I work in IT and, at least in my company, it seems to be that most jobs are being moved abroad. My dad also worked in IT was made redundant at 53 before my parents had finished their mortgage so I think that is why I am so anxious about having mortgage debt and would like to pay it off ASAP.

We bought our first house in 2006 and sold it three years later in the middle of the recession for a loss of £6k, which wasn't ideal but it allowed us to purchase a house we couldn't have otherwise afforded as the vendors needed a quick sale so were prepared to drop their price. We moved in to the new house at the back end of 2009 and didn't need to do anything to it, which is a good job as we didn't have any spare money at the time! After a few years I got a job that paid well and we started overpaying on the mortgage, which we decided to do rather than save up as we would get a nice lump sum if we were made redundant. I loved seeing the mortgage go down!

In 2011 my dad was diagnosed with a progressive neurodegenerative illness, which means his brain is slowly dying and was given a life expectancy of approximately 7 years, although it differs for everyone. My parents decided to make the most of their time together and bought a static caravan by a lake, which they lived in happily for a couple of years before my dad started having too many falls to continue living there and they moved into an independent living unit near Holmfirth, which isn't too far from where my in-laws live so it made visiting them all on our weekends up from Nottingham so much easier! By 2014 my dad had deteriorated quite a bit and my husband and I discussed leaving Nottingham so we could live closer to our parents in Yorkshire. At this point, the house was valued at £170,000 and the mortgage was at £108,000. Had we stayed and continued paying the same amount each month we would be mortgage free by 2021 but if we moved we would either have to rent (which we both saw as dead money) or buy another place that would be more expensive for a comparable house so it was a difficult decision. Around the same time my father-in-law got cancer, so we decided that moving up would be the best option. The only problem was that my dad was deteriorating rapidly and it takes ages for houses in our area to sell so we'd miss the last bit of time with my dad in a reasonable condition and could miss being there for the in-laws when they needed us through the cancer treatment process. At this point, I suggested we rent out our house and buy another house closer to our parents. I first spoke to my mortgage provider and asked if there was a way to release equity from our house and move it onto a buy-to-let mortgage then purchase another property. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow us to do this, but luckily MSE sings the praises of London and Country mortgage brokers and as they don't charge a fee I thought it would be worth giving them a call. I am so glad I did! My advisor Adam found me a new residential mortgage and let-to-buy mortgage (which is apparently very similar to a buy-to-let mortgage but it is when you already owned the property when you decided to rent it out) so we could use equity from our house. A couple of months later we moved into our new house and our old house was rented out shortly after.

After 2 years, our fixed deals have just come to an end and this is where we now stand...

Residential mortgage:
    Started at £216,000 on 3.29% with no OPs allowed.
    From January 4th, the property has 80% LTV and is on 1.99% for 3 years with 10% OP allowed. Started at £204,000 but as I had to guess what amount I would need when I first applied 3 months ago, we were refunded £1,404 so the mortgage now stands at £202,596. The standard mortgage payment £916 but I set the DD up at £1,100 as that's what we paid before so there is an overpayment there without any hardship. I can't wait to see this go under £200k, and then I will set £10k goals.

Buy-to-Let mortgage:
    Started at £136,000 on 4.79%, and we started making overpayments of £250pm.
    From February the property will have a 73% LTV and will be on 2.64% for 2 years. Again, we applied for this mortgage 3 months ago and I guessed £129,000 but when I checked yesterday it stood at £127,895 so we will be due some money back and will pay that off the mortgage straight away.The standard DD is £638 but I am considering whether to leave the payments at £1,000 as they previously were.

The only fly in the ointment now is that our jobs aren't as secure as they used to be, and there are rumours of redundancy packages being dropped to statutory rates, which I understand isn't very much. This has made me think that we ought to have some savings in case one or both of us gets made redundant. We have £1500 in premium bonds saved up for house repairs but that wasn't much of a safety net. Luckily, we have just received a cheque for £4,900 from my husband's stock that he just sold so for the first time ever we finally have some security. We would have previously put it straight on the mortgage but with the current uncertainty around jobs it is nice to have a bit of a safety net. The timing couldn't be better!

I'll be honest. I'm rubbish with budgets. I don't know how much we spend and I know I could be a lot more careful with my spending. We do have takeaways and eat out quite a bit, mainly because we both work long hours and very tired on an evening and don't want to then spend a big chunk of our evenings cooking. If I'm even more honest, part of it is laziness However, I want to change that as I'm sure we could save some real money and be healthier if we cook more so I'm thinking maybe meal plans, online shopping so I don't get tempted by add on products and don't have to give up a load of time to go to the supermarket, and maybe the odd ready meal in place of a takeaway when we're feeling tired / lazy. I am also going to have a look into slow cooker recipes that I could put on in a morning so it's ready for us as soon as we finish working.

My goal is to start logging what we spend and make a proper budget!

Some (limited) financial info:
    Husband earns around £3,000 net each month.
    I earn around £1,700 net each month.
    Rental income, after expenses, is £678 per month.

Mortgage 1 £1,100
    Mortgage 2 £322 (£1,000 payment minus £678 rent, assuming we keep the payment the same)
    Car loan £500 (ends in October 2017)
    Loan to In-Laws £250 (not accruing any interest)
    Water bill £26
    Council Tax £128
    Gas & Electric £94.14
    BG Home Care £29.50
    Mobile 1 £13
    Mobile 2 £20
    Sky TV, internet and phone £70.93 (up for renewal tomorrow so will haggle or switch to Virgin)
    Car insurance £632 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in April)
    Home insurance £491 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in December)
    Pet insurance £69.61 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in November)
    Landlord insurance £219.21 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Rent Guarantee and Legal insurance £125 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Gas Safety Certificate £60 (annual, paid in February)

Unsure on food and entertainment costs (really need to get a grip on this) but after paying our credit cards we end up with between £500 and £1500 left at the end of the month, which we have recently been spending on home improvements, insurance, Christmas etc. so we haven't saved much of this. We are also thinking about joining a gym so that might also be another expense in future. If I think of any other expenses I will add them but I think that's pretty much it for now.

I will try and update this as and when I get more information or manage to make savings / OPs. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 20-01-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the current mortgage values.
Page 5
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    All surveys up-to-date. I'm on £7/£50 on YouGov (I rarely get surveys for this so it is slow progress) and £15.85/£40 on OnePoll - so close to the half way mark! The Nectar surveys keep tricking points through to my Nectar card so the balance is slow creeping up on there too.

I got a £10 M&S voucher yesterday for giving feedback on my previous mortgage provider when I switched; not bad for a 5 minute phone conversation that I would have done anyway as I really wanted to let them know how they could improve (mainly having online banking facilities to check the mortgage amount and make payments!).

On the not so good front, just as I had almost recovered from my chest infection, I've caught a cold and have a streaming nose 24/7, bad cough and now the right hand side of my chest/rib cage is starting to hurt like it did on the left hand side before. I feel pretty rubbish so yesterday when DH said he fancied Burger King, I caved. Bit of a shame really as I couldn't taste anything anyway and it cost quite a bit more than a usual BK as the only one near us is at the local motorway services. I wasn't impressed afterwards that we'd managed £20 on one meal. Needless to say, even though I just wanted to go home and crawl into bed, I made DH drive us to the shop so we could get some food in so there is no excuse and I will feel more able to stay strong if he suggests a treat again. On the plus side, I haven't had much of an appetite recently and have lost 7lbs without trying. Silver lining and all that

Something I must get round to doing is checking out council tax reductions for having to look at an eyesore. My mum mentioned the other day that she thought you could get a reduction in council tax if you have to look at an eyesore and the house across the road has been a derelict, half demolished shell for months upon months. I don't know if it's still applicable (I imagine them closing any loopholes that allow people to pay less) but I'm going to investigate.
    Savings: Aim £10k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Current £8,750
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Current -£200,200.00
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Current -£126,695 .00
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Current -£35,655.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Current -£14,310.60
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Current -£3,724.38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Well I put the council tax question on a MSE forum and got some helpful, and some nasty responses. Looks like it is unlikely so I'll leave it at that.

Just checked back and the offensive comment has been removed and the thread closed, which I'm guessing MSE did. Good on MSE for not allowing nasty comments.
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 15-03-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Update on the council tax question thread
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    try harder
    Hope you feel better soon
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 15th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hi Ch4rly! I hope you feel better soon! What's with people leaving nasty comments!! If you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all! It's something I really hate about the internet, that people think it's ok to be absolutely vile just because they're anonymous. Grrrr
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount April 2017 - £64,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£1,521.37
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi Ch4rly, completely agree with Jess, don't let the evill b******s get to you and I hope you're feeling much better soon - I feel your pain about a BK that you couldn't even taste!
    OPs 2017 = £1300/£10000
    S&S ISA = £100/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Feb 2017: £103, 019.99
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 16th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks guys. I'm always cheered up by the lovely MFWs

Not too much of an update... eagerly awaiting payday next week so I can start shuffling! Mind you, my real excitement comes on the 1st of the month when I can see the mortgage progress of our residential mortgage and when I eventually get the letter from the BTL mortgage with the latest figure. Trying not to wish my time away.

I'm up to £17.35 on 1poll. So close to half way, I can almost taste it. My aim now is to make £1 a day on there, which I have so far being managing - touch wood - because I regularly have a quick check first thing in the morning before everyone starts work and whenever I take a drink / lunch / loo break. I seem to be stuck at 700 points on Yougov though. I've read a few people saying that it takes a long time to make progress with that one.

I have a bit of a first world problem. My company is merging with another soon and we have to use our recognition points, which are kind of like mini bonuses we get when our work is recognised or we hit a service milestone. The last time I spent points I got a Nutribullet because I liked the idea of it but didn't want to spend actual money in case the novelty wore off (well worth the points as it turns out!). The top contenders are some vouchers. I can afford £100 of Sainsbury's vouchers, or £125 of Argos vouchers or about £90 of high street vouchers, or £100 of Clarks vouchers (or a combination of different vouchers). I'm not sure what to chose. I wondered about getting the Sainsbury's vouchers and then every time I buy my food shopping there, transferring the money I would have spent into my OP pot. Alternatively, DH and I are going to get new iPads when the next iPad Pro is released. DH seems to think it will be in a couple of months. I have £300 in Nectar points and could use those as part payment, along with £125 of Argos vouchers and cover about half the cost of my iPad. The only thing is that Argos don't seem to sell them with cellular data compatibility, which would be handy when travelling or when going to my grandma's where she doesn't have internet. On one hand it is a massive reduction in the cost and I have managed without cellular data on my current iPad, on the other hand we don't anticipate buying new ones for many years to come so is it better to future proof them and get the ones with cellular. Decisions, decisions. At least I have a bit of time to think about it.

I made a huge batch of beef and ale pie filling (basically a stew type concoction with beef, ale, carrots, parsnip, mushrooms, onions and peas) that I will put a pastry top on and turn into pies for later use. We find that it tastes better when it has a day or two to soak in the ale flavours (DH always said he preferred the leftovers to the original so I just make it in advance now) so I will put some in the freezer and some in the fridge.

I've started reading the Man V Mortgage thread and I'm about half way through. I'm find it very interesting and inspirational, but it doesn't half take a while to get through when you start reading through a well established thread!

Had to rearrange our friends' visit this weekend as I feel like death warmed up. I'm forgetting what it feels like to be healthy and normal. I can't wait for this cold to shift!

Friday tomorrow!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 17th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hope you are feeling a little better today Charley?
    I too find YouGov very hard to build points up on- it seems to be one survey a week only but onepoll is pretty quick and easy, altho yesterday I was at 95% of a £1 survey and it crashed...booo!

With the vouchers one option is that you could do Sainsburys vouchers and transfer the money to a savings account whenever you spend them...that way you could use the £100 towards the iPad. Plus, If you then used your nectar points instead of your grocery budget you could move those funds into the same savings whenever you go to sainsburys. That way you get to save the £400 towards the iPad you want to buy anyways without limiting yourself to the options Sainsburys do, but I suppose you won't be OP'g
    Emergency savings- £2170.20 /£4000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £948.07/ £2150. 44%
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£301.69
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 17th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Happy Friday everyone!

KK, you're a genius, thank you! I will do that. I'm going to order the Sainsbury's vouchers then use those and the nectar points for shopping and put the money I would have spent into a savings account. I might even be able to get some cashback to open a savings account. It's so good to share ponderings on this forum!

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm about the same as yesterday, except I woke up blind! Well, not quite, my eyes were glued shut with gunk. I expected it in one eye as it was all red and blood shot last night when I looked in the mirror and had been itchy for a couple of days so I expected conjunctivitis, but then woke up with double whammy. I made an appointment at the docs to get my eyes and this persistent cough checked out. As I expected, nothing too sinister. Doc said that because I hadn't quite fully recovered from the chest infection it had made me more susceptible to picking up other bugs and I've caught a cold. She checked my chest and it's clear, the mucus I'm coughing up is what's collecting at the back of my throat from my sinuses. Because my sinuses are blocked, my tear ducts are backing up and have caused the conjunctivitis. Nothing too drastic and should clear in a week or so. She prescribed some eye drops for infected eyes and sent me on my merry way. I went into the pharmacy that's attached to the docs and the lady serving very kindly pointed out that I could save money as I pay for my prescriptions at £8.40, but the eye drops don't have to be prescribed and they sell them for £5.99 Little win there, and it made me smile.

Got back home after the docs to some great news. DH has just had a £6k pay rise, woo! Now that really put a smile on my face! I've been waiting for a promotion and pay increase for about a year now and have been told absolutely no changes until after we have merged and become a new company (next month), so to find out he got the pay rise, I was gobsmacked (we're in the same team). He was one out of 2 people in our whole department (probably a couple of hundred people) to be approved for one. Things are looking up!

DH made lunch today, he didn't trust me handling food with my diseased hands! He was joking, and it's nice to have lunch made because he's on meetings over lunch every day and it's rare that he has free time to make lunch for us. I'd texted him when he was shopping to pick up some sandwich filler. I meant filling for sandwiches, such as sliced ham, beef etc. but he took it to mean actual filler so came back with a little tub of coronation chicken and chicken with bacon and mayo. I wasn't sure what to expect as I've never had it before. Growing up we just always had the usual ham, tuna, beef, cheese etc. and I'm not all all adventurous so have never thought of buying anything else. I really enjoyed it and it was cheaper than our usual choice so I think I'll have a look for it next time I go shopping. I like discovering new things!

I've only had 1 onepoll survey today, a lot quieter than usual. I'll keep checking, just in case.

My cloud account at work is syncing over 15,000 files and is lagging so badly. It's painful! I'd normally keep working over lunch but today I'm taking a break to update the diary. I can't face any more slow lagging computer! I'm glad to have the time and energy to update my diary. I'm going to have a read of other diaries too while I'm at it
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 17th Mar 17, 11:39 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    80p on OnePoll today. Shame I didn't make it to £1 but I guess it just depends on the surveys given

I also got an offer to review a free nail varnish as well so I'm excited for that to arrive

Not much else to report. Have a good eeekend everyone!
    • try harder
    • By try harder 18th Mar 17, 2:30 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    try harder
    What great news thats one good pay rise .Love the sound of the beef and ale pie ,its making me feel very hungry ,now what can i find to eat
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    themadvix
    Great news on the payrise!

I find that YouGov goes in fits and spurts - when there's an election looming there are far more surveys to be had. It might be slow, but at least they don't screen you out and it's proper cash at the end!
    OPs 2017 = £1300/£10000
    S&S ISA = £100/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Feb 2017: £103, 019.99
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 20th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Congratulations to DH on the payrise! Hope you feel better soon! x
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 23rd Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted an update, although I have been keeping up with reading diaries so, I'll try and give a summary of what's been going on since last weekend...

My mum held a fundraising event to raise extra donations towards my brother's London Marathon donations. I had a stall to sell some of the items I bought from The Jewellery Channel's £1 auctions, back from the days when you could buy silver rings for £1 and 16 gemstone bracelets for £1... I haven't seen them as cheap in a long time! Anyway, I sold £64, which I was pleased with as it was mainly just the residents of her independent living place. My grandma has since rung my mum and asked her to let me know that I can have a stall on May Day for £15, so I'll find out more about that and consider going. It would be nice to sell some of the things that I struggle with on fleabay due to the size, and therefore cost of postage, or the cheaper items that cost more in postage than the item. As it stands, it's tied up money so it sounds tempting.

Grocery wise, I'm doing quite well at the moment. DH is working away so his food is paid for and I've been managing to use up some more items from the fridge and cupboard. My mum had me round for tea on Tuesday and made my favourite even though I know she's shattered from looking after my dad in the nursing home every day and has sore knees at the moment I absolutely love that woman!

The MIL and FIL surprised me yesterday. They turned up with a lovely bunch of flowers because I've not been well. That put a smile on my face. Very nice of them to do considering they've both just had hernia ops and it was one of their first trips out.

I'm eagerly waiting my new free nail polish that I get to try and review for Bzzagent. This will be my first freebie so I hope I do a good job reviewing it and get more!

OnePoll has been a bit quiet recently, but I've finally made it to the half way mark. I keep plugging away at the other sites too. Also, I check the free postcode lottery every day too. There have been a couple of winners from my village recently so that keeps me motivated to check every day.

Pay day has been and gone. Another £50 came out for the bonds, but nothing really happens until 1st of the month when the bills go out. Again, I am excited to see the new mortgage totals.

Fingers crossed we have nice weather the rest of this week
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 24th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    DH is back from Norwich It was so good to see him last night and catch up with how things have been going for him while he was away. He was only away a couple of nights though, so not that much to report! He did bring back freebies from the hotel though, which I was very pleased with. I'm going to try and include the photos in this link... Let's see if I understand this technology

My free nail varnish arrived today. It looks lovely and I can't wait to put it on. All I have to do is review it, and I'm quite happy to tell people my opinions, so it shouldn't be too difficult! I'll report back on here too with how it goes.

I got a £5 from ASDA today for when I complained at the bad service my Grandma received when we went in February. We went to pay at about 8pm and there was no-one on the wide aisle (the only one I can fit her wheelchair down) so I asked one of the checkout ladies, who wasn't serving anyone and didn't have any queue, if she could open the wide aisle checkout for us. It was really quiet and there were more than enough staff on the other tills but she wouldn't open the checkout as she said there wasn't a manager she could ask if it was OK for her open the checkout. I rang up ASDA to let them know about it as it upset my Grandma. She likes to be in control of her shopping, and packs things in a certain way, and she really doesn't like the semi-automatic tills where the staff scan the items and they shoot off down a conveyor belt quite far away for them all to get squashed up. Anyway, they sent her a £5 voucher so she will pleased with that and we will hopefully have a more successful shopping trip next time. Last time we went I really had to push to get someone to open the checkout, which isn't very dignified for my Grandma, but in the end someone did open the checkout so we could unload and pack together in a way she was happy with. It made it so much quicker and easier for me to unpack when we got back too as everything was grouped in bags for where they needed to go at home Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't like her being upset at not being able to do things the way she likes to. I know it makes her feel like she's completely lost her independence so I try and let her 'supervise' me as much as possible!

Speaking of Grandma, the foot rest on her wheelchair keeps coming out now every shopping trip so I've spoken to the company we bought it from and asked if we can buy a replacement foot rest. I need to take some photos and send it to them and I'm hoping we can just get a spare rather than having to buy a whole new wheelchair!

It's Friday, the sun is shining and DH and I are going to London to see BIL on his way through from India to California. It should be fairly MSE as the BIL used his hotel points to book us a room in the same hotel as him.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 25th Mar 17, 7:48 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Morning Charley, just catching up on your diary.

Sounds like awful treatment for your grandma- you'd think it would be straightforward to take her shopping hope the voucher means she can get herself something nice!

What fantastic news about OHs pay rise-£6k is a stinking pay rise too

Free nail varnish sounds lovely- I've heard about bzzzagent but not really investigated much, think I'll have a nose today

Those freebies look fab- gf's just got back from a few days away and got bottled water and Tassimo pods (which we'll give to friends with a machine!). That hotel has pump toiletries that are screwed to the wall...always makes me chuckle

Enjoy London and seeing your bro-in-law
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 25th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Hi KK, thanks for stopping by, nice to hear from you I love a good freebie... maybe it's the Yorkshire in me, or maybe it's the MSE One of my clients is a hotel chain and I was told that hotels expect you to take the toiletries so they either brand them with their logo, thinking it'll make you think of them first when booking next time, or they do deals with other companies so their products get advertised... we have noticed more and more though that hotels we used to get toiletries at have installed those pumps on the wall though so I think cost saving beats the potential advertising for them now. It's definitely worth checking out the Bzz. It's my first campaign and I'm really pleased. Now I know the photos work, here's a picture of the nail varnish.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 25th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Nails look fab Charley...off to investigate it!!
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 29th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Well, we had a lovely weekend. It was so nice for us to have some time with the BIL, and it didn't cost us the earth.

We drove down leisurely on Saturday and stopped off at the Denby factory/shop. Love it there! We picked up a few spare place mats and coasters as I've noticed a few scratches appearing on ours and they were going for a song, and we got a spare set for the in-laws in case theirs start to get scuffed up. It made a nice little extra bonus for Mother's Day too. BIL arrived to the hotel a little after 3pm, and after we had a catch up and he had a shower we went down to the hotel bar for some cocktails. I had 2 pina coladas, DH had a G&T and BIL had 2 G&Ts. We discussed the dreaded car repair. It turns out that although they were quoted $1,700 for the repair, it ended up costing $2,200 as apparently they needed to replace a couple of brackets. We cringed but prepared to pay our dues (we were thinking that was the holiday budget out the window). BIL said he'd have to check with his DW what she wanted us to pay... £500! We were very lucky as it would have eaten up most of our savings and meant we couldn't go over to the US to see BIL and his wife. Their reasoning was that they chose not to claim on the insurance to keep their future premiums down so we should only be liable for about the cost of the excess. I think this was really nice of them and we are very grateful. DH immediately transferred the money across as it's been such a weight on our minds so it was lovely to finally get rid of that. After we finished the drinks, BIL picked up the tab as he can expense it with his meal allowance (still lovely of him as it meant he'd have to pay for his meal in full). We went for tea and had a wonderful time. The food was great and the conversation was fab... lots of stories about when the boys were young and (very) reckless - I fear for any future children and nieces/nephews if they end up like their dads! Afterwards, BIL picked up the whole bill! I couldn't believe it after he'd been so generous already. On Sunday we had breakfast together in the hotel. £20 plus £3 for drinks... how can they justify charging so much?! We didn't care at all as BIL had been so generous and it was worth the money to be able to spend more time with him rather than wasting it looking for somewhere else to have breakfast. We took BIL to the local supermarket so he could pick up a Mother's Day card (it's in May in America so he couldn't get a card in advance) and a present. We drove him to the airport and had hugs, wished him well etc. then headed back up north. It was lovely to see him, just a shame it was for a short time. On the way back up we stopped off to see my brother in Northampton and then stopped off in Nottingham to have a walk around an old abbey, it's gardens and a lake. It was such a great weekend.

We had the other BIL round for tea and Walking Dead on Monday. DH cooked so I got to relax After we had brownies and ice-cream. The brownies were from the hamper he got from work with his reward points. Tasty, and free - what could be better?! I've been working my way through the freezer and cupboard as well as we seemed to be stock piling food but not getting through it. That seems to be going well. So, it was shaping up to be a fairly MSE week until...

DH is working down in Norwich this week. Yesterday he set off about 6:30pm after all his meetings were finished and I got a call at 10:30pm to say the road had been closed and the diversion signs had stopped so he'd switched onto his sat nav which took him down a load of unlit roads... ending up in a farmer's field with no lights in the field or on the adjacent road. He did a U-turn and smacked head on into a huge solid rock that was hidden in the tall grass . It looks to have done some serious damage so he's going to have to get that repaired and use the remaining holiday budget
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 29-03-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 29th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Sounds like a lovely weekend! What a shame about the car, blooming sat navs! Hope it doesn't cost too much to sort! x
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 29th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    oh no!! hope the bills not too expensive
    on a positive note at least due to your lovely BIL you still have extra funds to be able to pay towards the rock damage
    365 day penny challenge - £55.65/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £260.00/£1000 Stage 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

403Posts Today

2,802Users online

Martin's Twitter