Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    • 343Posts
    • 1,414Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Dreaming of financial freedom!
    • 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    Dreaming of financial freedom! 19th Jan 17 at 2:37 PM
    Hi everyone reading this!

I hadn't thought about writing my own MFW diary until another user suggested it, so I have no idea if anyone will be interested in what I have to say, but I'll just post it and you can ignore if it's rubbish So here's my story...

I turn 30 next month and I would like to be mortgage free as soon as possible. My husband and I work in IT and, at least in my company, it seems to be that most jobs are being moved abroad. My dad also worked in IT was made redundant at 53 before my parents had finished their mortgage so I think that is why I am so anxious about having mortgage debt and would like to pay it off ASAP.

We bought our first house in 2006 and sold it three years later in the middle of the recession for a loss of £6k, which wasn't ideal but it allowed us to purchase a house we couldn't have otherwise afforded as the vendors needed a quick sale so were prepared to drop their price. We moved in to the new house at the back end of 2009 and didn't need to do anything to it, which is a good job as we didn't have any spare money at the time! After a few years I got a job that paid well and we started overpaying on the mortgage, which we decided to do rather than save up as we would get a nice lump sum if we were made redundant. I loved seeing the mortgage go down!

In 2011 my dad was diagnosed with a progressive neurodegenerative illness, which means his brain is slowly dying and was given a life expectancy of approximately 7 years, although it differs for everyone. My parents decided to make the most of their time together and bought a static caravan by a lake, which they lived in happily for a couple of years before my dad started having too many falls to continue living there and they moved into an independent living unit near Holmfirth, which isn't too far from where my in-laws live so it made visiting them all on our weekends up from Nottingham so much easier! By 2014 my dad had deteriorated quite a bit and my husband and I discussed leaving Nottingham so we could live closer to our parents in Yorkshire. At this point, the house was valued at £170,000 and the mortgage was at £108,000. Had we stayed and continued paying the same amount each month we would be mortgage free by 2021 but if we moved we would either have to rent (which we both saw as dead money) or buy another place that would be more expensive for a comparable house so it was a difficult decision. Around the same time my father-in-law got cancer, so we decided that moving up would be the best option. The only problem was that my dad was deteriorating rapidly and it takes ages for houses in our area to sell so we'd miss the last bit of time with my dad in a reasonable condition and could miss being there for the in-laws when they needed us through the cancer treatment process. At this point, I suggested we rent out our house and buy another house closer to our parents. I first spoke to my mortgage provider and asked if there was a way to release equity from our house and move it onto a buy-to-let mortgage then purchase another property. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow us to do this, but luckily MSE sings the praises of London and Country mortgage brokers and as they don't charge a fee I thought it would be worth giving them a call. I am so glad I did! My advisor Adam found me a new residential mortgage and let-to-buy mortgage (which is apparently very similar to a buy-to-let mortgage but it is when you already owned the property when you decided to rent it out) so we could use equity from our house. A couple of months later we moved into our new house and our old house was rented out shortly after.

After 2 years, our fixed deals have just come to an end and this is where we now stand...

Residential mortgage:
    Started at £216,000 on 3.29% with no OPs allowed.
    From January 4th, the property has 80% LTV and is on 1.99% for 3 years with 10% OP allowed. Started at £204,000 but as I had to guess what amount I would need when I first applied 3 months ago, we were refunded £1,404 so the mortgage now stands at £202,596. The standard mortgage payment £916 but I set the DD up at £1,100 as that's what we paid before so there is an overpayment there without any hardship. I can't wait to see this go under £200k, and then I will set £10k goals.

Buy-to-Let mortgage:
    Started at £136,000 on 4.79%, and we started making overpayments of £250pm.
    From February the property will have a 73% LTV and will be on 2.64% for 2 years. Again, we applied for this mortgage 3 months ago and I guessed £129,000 but when I checked yesterday it stood at £127,895 so we will be due some money back and will pay that off the mortgage straight away.The standard DD is £638 but I am considering whether to leave the payments at £1,000 as they previously were.

The only fly in the ointment now is that our jobs aren't as secure as they used to be, and there are rumours of redundancy packages being dropped to statutory rates, which I understand isn't very much. This has made me think that we ought to have some savings in case one or both of us gets made redundant. We have £1500 in premium bonds saved up for house repairs but that wasn't much of a safety net. Luckily, we have just received a cheque for £4,900 from my husband's stock that he just sold so for the first time ever we finally have some security. We would have previously put it straight on the mortgage but with the current uncertainty around jobs it is nice to have a bit of a safety net. The timing couldn't be better!

I'll be honest. I'm rubbish with budgets. I don't know how much we spend and I know I could be a lot more careful with my spending. We do have takeaways and eat out quite a bit, mainly because we both work long hours and very tired on an evening and don't want to then spend a big chunk of our evenings cooking. If I'm even more honest, part of it is laziness However, I want to change that as I'm sure we could save some real money and be healthier if we cook more so I'm thinking maybe meal plans, online shopping so I don't get tempted by add on products and don't have to give up a load of time to go to the supermarket, and maybe the odd ready meal in place of a takeaway when we're feeling tired / lazy. I am also going to have a look into slow cooker recipes that I could put on in a morning so it's ready for us as soon as we finish working.

My goal is to start logging what we spend and make a proper budget!

Some (limited) financial info:
    Husband earns around £3,000 net each month.
    I earn around £1,700 net each month.
    Rental income, after expenses, is £678 per month.

Mortgage 1 £1,100
    Mortgage 2 £322 (£1,000 payment minus £678 rent, assuming we keep the payment the same)
    Car loan £500 (ends in October 2017)
    Loan to In-Laws £250 (not accruing any interest)
    Water bill £26
    Council Tax £128
    Gas & Electric £94.14
    BG Home Care £29.50
    Mobile 1 £13
    Mobile 2 £20
    Sky TV, internet and phone £70.93 (up for renewal tomorrow so will haggle or switch to Virgin)
    Car insurance £632 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in April)
    Home insurance £491 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in December)
    Pet insurance £69.61 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in November)
    Landlord insurance £219.21 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Rent Guarantee and Legal insurance £125 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Gas Safety Certificate £60 (annual, paid in February)

Unsure on food and entertainment costs (really need to get a grip on this) but after paying our credit cards we end up with between £500 and £1500 left at the end of the month, which we have recently been spending on home improvements, insurance, Christmas etc. so we haven't saved much of this. We are also thinking about joining a gym so that might also be another expense in future. If I think of any other expenses I will add them but I think that's pretty much it for now.

I will try and update this as and when I get more information or manage to make savings / OPs. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 20-01-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the current mortgage values.
Page 19
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    House buying/selling is such a stressful time without all of the worry you are facing with your dad. Fingers crossed you get some good news on the funding front.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 11th Feb 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 9,386 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hey Ch4rley, everything crossed for the house purchase/sales. It must be infuriating having to keep reminding the lady, you’d think she’d want to have it all sorted?!

Sorry to hear about the funding reassessment, my brother goes through it regularly and has in recent years had to appeal twice (luckily won) but the stress and time without funding can be so difficult. I really hope they do the right thing by your family.
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £669.60/ £3000 22% Jan: £417.42 Feb: £252.18

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 11th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hi Ch4rly, sorry to hear about the troubles with the house selling/buying and I hope it all gets resolved for you. I also have my fingers crossed for you that all goes well with the funding for your dad. Best wishes x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Jan 2018 - £58,500.00
    Overpayment Target for 2018 - £5,000 /£663.78
    Jan - £369.23 Feb - £294.55
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 12th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words and support. Mum asked today which nurse is going to be on, as they listen a lot to the nurse, and it's the Nursing Home manager (also a trained nurse) and she knows Dad and his symptoms very well so we're both feeling more positive now

Well, last week was my wedding anniversary and my birthday so I've been very spoilt recently. BIL bought me a Zizzi voucher so I'm hoping I get enough points from the Zizzi wheel spins for a free meal to go with it (All the £10 and £20 vouchers have gone).

I'm taking Grandma shopping tomorrow, all being well. The weather is a bit dicey here at the moment and it's colder where she lives so hopefully I'll be able to get up the hill and round to her cul-de-sac alright. I offered to go and get the shopping for her and deliver it but she has something she wants to take back so I will try and get up there by hook or by crook

We took the in-laws to the new house over the weekend and they gave it their seal of approval, which has filled me with confidence now. It's such a big thing buying a house so it was nice that they didn't see any major issues and liked it. We went to measure up to see where I could fit a safe but the idea I had didn't work (there's a latch in the loft room where I thought we could hide a safe, but it isn't deep enough. I'll have to figure out somewhere else to put it.
    Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Feb 2018 £12,250
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Feb 2018 -£192,200
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Feb 2018 -£123,400
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Feb 2018 -£3,368.27
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Feb 2018 -£30,315.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / April 2017 -£14,003.85
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 8,006 Thanks
    themadvix
    Glad to hear you're feeling optimistic about your Dad's funding Charly, especially as you've got so much going on at the moment.

Hope you manage to get your Grandma out safely later.
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 13th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks Vix

I'm feeling a bit miserable today. My fixed retainer came loose on the end tooth last night and it's been poking my tongue and lips all night and today. I rang a few orthodontists and no-one is willing to help (the conversation generally goes "did we fit it?" - "No" - "I'm sorry we don't repair work we haven't done") I rang 111 and they referred me to the emergency dental team who rang to say they can't help with orthodontics. She did suggest I ring the hospital where I had it done so that's my next step. I don't know what I'll do if they refuse to help. Fingers crossed the hospital will repair it.

There's no snow here today so I'll give my Grandma a ring and ask if there's any snow up there. I have a feeling we should be OK

I just checked my junk folder and found that I have some vouchers for freebies from Subway and Greggs for my birthday I'm always happy to receive a freebie. I missed out on the free meal voucher from Zizzi so I've snagged two free starter vouchers while they're still available. We should be able to have a nice evening out between the vouchers and gift card

OnePoll is up to £5 already. It hasn't taken long to get to 20% of the total, I think the change to £25 payout has made a massive difference in keeping morale up.

I've just written a reference for my friend who I met at work almost 7 years ago. I've never written a reference before but it seemed fairly straight forward as they'd written good questions for me to answer. I gave him a glowing reference so fingers crossed all will be ok for him.

Also, I had a happy moment earlier today. I finally saw the birds on the feeder. I noticed they were empty so I topped them up with the last few fat balls (another thing I don't have to move with us!) and DH called me through to see a robin and some smaller birds using the feeders. I finally feel satisfied after feeding them for the last year that it is actually birds eating from the feeder and not just the fat and seeds washing away with the rain!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 8,006 Thanks
    themadvix
    I have no idea about orthodontics, but surely the hospital that did it has a responsibility for ongoing care - I imagine they are your best bet. Good luck though - I can see why it would be making you miserable!

I've given up with Zizzi - I only ever seeed to win 20 points, so was not getting anywhere fast!

That's lovely about the birds - we don't get any here - I've given up feeding them (our back garden is small and there aren't any trees in sight so it's a bit of a dreary spot - tried in the front, but didn't have much luck there either, can't wait to move somewhere with a bird population!)
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 14th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Ah, I'm sorry you don't have many flying visitors to your garden. You are right, the abundance of trees has made the difference as our previous house was on a new build estate with very few trees and we hardly ever saw any birds.

I rang the hospital and as I have been discharged they want nothing to do with it I will ring my dentist and see if they can refer me to the hospital again, or failing that it's a call to BUPA, but they'll probably charge £300 for a consultation before even carrying out any work.

Yesterday I bought starters with my points as there was such little choice, today the free mains have been added again! I won't sniff at the free starters but it is a tad annoying that they reduced the options available and then add them in again when all points are depleted. Still, free is free so we shall enjoy our starters

Dad's CHC review was cancelled (I feel sorry for Mum having to get up extra early today so she could be at the home in time ) and they are coming next week instead. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a nurse that knows Dad well is on next week.

I had a good time with Grandma yesterday. It was very cold and she said she's not feeling great, but she said she was really pleased she could go out (she can only leave the house when someone takes her in her wheelchair) as it made her feel more like her old self. I ran her receipt from last time through the ASDA website and got a voucher for £2.59 due to their price comparison, which was a pleasant surprise for Grandma. I've taken this week's receipt so I can run it through the website and see if there's any money off next time. After we finished shopping we had a good cup of tea and a chat. She actually took my Mum's advice of buying some Night Nurse to help with her cold and help her to sleep, which is unheard of as she a stubborn one. Hopefully she'll have slept well last night! She kindly gave me £40 for taking her, which I told her again was still too much but she wouldn't let me argue it with her she just insisted I took it. I think she approves that I save it, so as long as she's happy, I'm happy.

I'm making a little package for my friend as she often makes them for me to cheer me up and I'd like to put a smile on her face. So far I have a cute Pusheen cat lip balm, some vegan Omega 3 tablets that she swears by but are expensive and some organic vegan cola bottles. I need to try and think of some other little bits and pieces I can add then get it sent off before she goes on holiday. Sadly she'll be on holiday when we move back to Nottingham, but she'll be back a couple of weeks after so we can have a housewarming - using Hubby's booze from his bar to keep it MSE friendly
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 8,006 Thanks
    themadvix
    Rubbish news there on two front - teeth and funding assessment. Glad you got to take your Grandma out though. My mum swears by Night Nurse for a good night's sleep (if she gets a cold she can't shift the cough for weeks and she gets hardly any sleep - if she doesn't have NN) - so hopefully it'll help your Grandma.

Package sounds very sweet!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thank goodness for dental wax!!! I found out that you can use dental wax to cover bits of a brace that are rubbing on your skin. I don't think it was meant to go on the underside of teeth so it does make eating a bit difficult but it has stopped the wire from stabbing me in the tongue and lip. I rang my dentist and asked if they could at least look at the wire and see if they can glue it back and they agreed, so hopefully with it just being a case of needing gluing down it won't come under the area of specialist orthodontist work and they should be able to repair it. Bad news is that they can't fit me in until Wednesday but the good news is that I now have some relief until then. Best £3.20 I have ever spent! (KK, I am so glad you know your orthodontist personally so won't have this issue if yours comes off ).

I got a text from the seller yesterday saying that if it looks like we can't make the completion date DH and I could still move our things in and rent off her until it's resolved and that she could get a short term tenancy agreement drawn up to cover her mortgage while it's sorted as she'll be living with her parents and her stuff will have been moved into storage (IF it came to that, and that's a big if, I think we would consider covering her interest but not the capital bit too). I appreciate her trying to find ways to make it work but it really shouldn't come to that if the issues are resolved in time. They're not major issues, it's just the time to write to people and get them to respond that could make them major issues so as long as we get some action this week it should all be ok. I emailed the seller and the both of our solicitors on one email yesterday. I said that I was concerned that time was slipping and I don't want the house sale to be jeopardised by something not being resolved due to inaction at this point. The seller has followed up on the points I raised that she can help to resolve and her solicitor will hopefully get back to mine on the last points. Fingers crossed, we might actually make the completion date now

I'm going to see Dad now, so fingers crossed he'll be having a good day
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th Feb 18, 1:36 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    We had a lovely weekend. DH and I went to Nottingham to see some friends on Saturday. They put on a lovely lunch for us of pizza, garlic bread and lovely M&S salad bits. Afterwards we had cake (plenty of options) and some wonderful lattes. Our friend's Mum and Dad were up for the weekend so it was really nice to meet them (DH has met them once before) and had a great chat while we played some board games. We then dropped by to the new house with some chocolates to thank the seller for following up on some outstanding queries that have made us a lot more positive about the move and believe it will actually happen on time now We then went back to our friends' house and watched a film with them and the parents. It was a delightful day and we got a text from our friend saying how much their parents enjoyed it and meeting us too.

Sunday was a nice relaxing day. We had a lie in until mid-day, then we got up and made some sandwiches for lunch. Then we snuggled up on the sofa with a blanket each and binge watched Netflix. DH was offering a take away to give us a night off from cooking, but I stayed strong and cooked us a spag bol instead - nice and quick, tasty and we already had the ingredients in I must say, it took some will power to opt for cooking instead of a take away, but I'm so glad that I decided on cooking.

I feel a lot happier today. I have my appointment with the dentist tomorrow to see if he can glue my retainer back in place, which I thought was going to be on Wednesday but they just rang to confirm the appointment and it's tomorrow!

Mum texted. They've done Dad's assessment and the assessor is going to recommend to the panel that Dad's CHC funding remains in place. She said is was very unusual for the panel to go against an assessor's recommendation so Mum is feeling very positive. If they did stop the funding (fingers crossed it won't come to that), Mum would have good grounds for appeal. She should hear back within 6 weeks, so I'm hoping after that long wait that they will agree with the assessor

Still no sign of the OnePoll payment, but my current balance on there is now £8.25, so it's steadily climbing up. I'm so glad that they lowered the payment threshold as it doesn't seem too long to go now.
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 20th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Sounds like a lovely weekend and good news all round! I hadn't noticed they'd changed the Onepoll cashout amount! I will go look now! x
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 20th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    It only changes after you've cashed out the £40 you were working on, then after you cash out it resets to £25
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 20th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Yeah I'm only at £6 of £40 so I've got a while to go! Lol!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 20th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 9,386 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sounds like you had a lovely weekend! We were in Notts on Saturday too and went with friends to Annies burger shack- it was delicious but huge portions. I had the Johnny Vegas burger: a burger with two black pudding slices, toffee apple butter, American bacon and with a Guinness mini donut stuck to the top! I couldnt eat it all but it was so fun there- Id totally recommend (plus all options can be made veggie or vegan!)

Bad news on the retainer front! Sounds painful, I still use some dental wax with the braces but tend to remove it to eat and then use some fresh wax after brushing. Hope they manage to sort it tomorrow for you.
    How long have you had it in?

With your Zizzi vouchers- do make sure you tell them before you order- we had a voucher each and mentioned wed be using it but at the end she told us she couldnt split our bill to each use a voucher- then cheekily said if we had told her before she could have done it. She removed the starter from our bill to make up for it (also they brought gf the wrong pizza initially so we had shared my pasta until her pizza arrived!)
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; Today at 3:07 PM.
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £669.60/ £3000 22% Jan: £417.42 Feb: £252.18

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,888Posts Today

5,636Users online

Martin's Twitter