Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    • 294Posts
    • 1,235Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Dreaming of financial freedom!
    • 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    Dreaming of financial freedom! 19th Jan 17 at 2:37 PM
    Hi everyone reading this!

I hadn't thought about writing my own MFW diary until another user suggested it, so I have no idea if anyone will be interested in what I have to say, but I'll just post it and you can ignore if it's rubbish So here's my story...

I turn 30 next month and I would like to be mortgage free as soon as possible. My husband and I work in IT and, at least in my company, it seems to be that most jobs are being moved abroad. My dad also worked in IT was made redundant at 53 before my parents had finished their mortgage so I think that is why I am so anxious about having mortgage debt and would like to pay it off ASAP.

We bought our first house in 2006 and sold it three years later in the middle of the recession for a loss of £6k, which wasn't ideal but it allowed us to purchase a house we couldn't have otherwise afforded as the vendors needed a quick sale so were prepared to drop their price. We moved in to the new house at the back end of 2009 and didn't need to do anything to it, which is a good job as we didn't have any spare money at the time! After a few years I got a job that paid well and we started overpaying on the mortgage, which we decided to do rather than save up as we would get a nice lump sum if we were made redundant. I loved seeing the mortgage go down!

In 2011 my dad was diagnosed with a progressive neurodegenerative illness, which means his brain is slowly dying and was given a life expectancy of approximately 7 years, although it differs for everyone. My parents decided to make the most of their time together and bought a static caravan by a lake, which they lived in happily for a couple of years before my dad started having too many falls to continue living there and they moved into an independent living unit near Holmfirth, which isn't too far from where my in-laws live so it made visiting them all on our weekends up from Nottingham so much easier! By 2014 my dad had deteriorated quite a bit and my husband and I discussed leaving Nottingham so we could live closer to our parents in Yorkshire. At this point, the house was valued at £170,000 and the mortgage was at £108,000. Had we stayed and continued paying the same amount each month we would be mortgage free by 2021 but if we moved we would either have to rent (which we both saw as dead money) or buy another place that would be more expensive for a comparable house so it was a difficult decision. Around the same time my father-in-law got cancer, so we decided that moving up would be the best option. The only problem was that my dad was deteriorating rapidly and it takes ages for houses in our area to sell so we'd miss the last bit of time with my dad in a reasonable condition and could miss being there for the in-laws when they needed us through the cancer treatment process. At this point, I suggested we rent out our house and buy another house closer to our parents. I first spoke to my mortgage provider and asked if there was a way to release equity from our house and move it onto a buy-to-let mortgage then purchase another property. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow us to do this, but luckily MSE sings the praises of London and Country mortgage brokers and as they don't charge a fee I thought it would be worth giving them a call. I am so glad I did! My advisor Adam found me a new residential mortgage and let-to-buy mortgage (which is apparently very similar to a buy-to-let mortgage but it is when you already owned the property when you decided to rent it out) so we could use equity from our house. A couple of months later we moved into our new house and our old house was rented out shortly after.

After 2 years, our fixed deals have just come to an end and this is where we now stand...

Residential mortgage:
    Started at £216,000 on 3.29% with no OPs allowed.
    From January 4th, the property has 80% LTV and is on 1.99% for 3 years with 10% OP allowed. Started at £204,000 but as I had to guess what amount I would need when I first applied 3 months ago, we were refunded £1,404 so the mortgage now stands at £202,596. The standard mortgage payment £916 but I set the DD up at £1,100 as that's what we paid before so there is an overpayment there without any hardship. I can't wait to see this go under £200k, and then I will set £10k goals.

Buy-to-Let mortgage:
    Started at £136,000 on 4.79%, and we started making overpayments of £250pm.
    From February the property will have a 73% LTV and will be on 2.64% for 2 years. Again, we applied for this mortgage 3 months ago and I guessed £129,000 but when I checked yesterday it stood at £127,895 so we will be due some money back and will pay that off the mortgage straight away.The standard DD is £638 but I am considering whether to leave the payments at £1,000 as they previously were.

The only fly in the ointment now is that our jobs aren't as secure as they used to be, and there are rumours of redundancy packages being dropped to statutory rates, which I understand isn't very much. This has made me think that we ought to have some savings in case one or both of us gets made redundant. We have £1500 in premium bonds saved up for house repairs but that wasn't much of a safety net. Luckily, we have just received a cheque for £4,900 from my husband's stock that he just sold so for the first time ever we finally have some security. We would have previously put it straight on the mortgage but with the current uncertainty around jobs it is nice to have a bit of a safety net. The timing couldn't be better!

I'll be honest. I'm rubbish with budgets. I don't know how much we spend and I know I could be a lot more careful with my spending. We do have takeaways and eat out quite a bit, mainly because we both work long hours and very tired on an evening and don't want to then spend a big chunk of our evenings cooking. If I'm even more honest, part of it is laziness However, I want to change that as I'm sure we could save some real money and be healthier if we cook more so I'm thinking maybe meal plans, online shopping so I don't get tempted by add on products and don't have to give up a load of time to go to the supermarket, and maybe the odd ready meal in place of a takeaway when we're feeling tired / lazy. I am also going to have a look into slow cooker recipes that I could put on in a morning so it's ready for us as soon as we finish working.

My goal is to start logging what we spend and make a proper budget!

Some (limited) financial info:
    Husband earns around £3,000 net each month.
    I earn around £1,700 net each month.
    Rental income, after expenses, is £678 per month.

Mortgage 1 £1,100
    Mortgage 2 £322 (£1,000 payment minus £678 rent, assuming we keep the payment the same)
    Car loan £500 (ends in October 2017)
    Loan to In-Laws £250 (not accruing any interest)
    Water bill £26
    Council Tax £128
    Gas & Electric £94.14
    BG Home Care £29.50
    Mobile 1 £13
    Mobile 2 £20
    Sky TV, internet and phone £70.93 (up for renewal tomorrow so will haggle or switch to Virgin)
    Car insurance £632 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in April)
    Home insurance £491 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in December)
    Pet insurance £69.61 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in November)
    Landlord insurance £219.21 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Rent Guarantee and Legal insurance £125 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Gas Safety Certificate £60 (annual, paid in February)

Unsure on food and entertainment costs (really need to get a grip on this) but after paying our credit cards we end up with between £500 and £1500 left at the end of the month, which we have recently been spending on home improvements, insurance, Christmas etc. so we haven't saved much of this. We are also thinking about joining a gym so that might also be another expense in future. If I think of any other expenses I will add them but I think that's pretty much it for now.

I will try and update this as and when I get more information or manage to make savings / OPs. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 20-01-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the current mortgage values.
Page 16
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 11th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Let me know if you need to re-home that alcohol from your bar, I'm pretty sure i can give it a good one! Lol! Good luck with the packing and well done on the tin cupboard, it's so easy to forget what you have lurking and end up buying more!
    Originally posted by Jessy103
    Haha Jessy! I'm sure I could find a few people to help with that

We had the in-laws, including BiL, round for tea yesterday. We wanted to repay their kindness for having us over and also we're not sure how long we have left in this house so it was nice for us to have another get together here. I prepped the veg and chicken earlier in the day as DH was in meetings all day and we hadn't been able to get fajita sauce from Tesco the night before as they only had fajita seasoning so I new I would be on a hunt after work. I went to the big co-op by us as soon as I finished work but they only had Old El Paso sauce, which contains wheat which MiL is allergic to and I was running out of time. I didn't have time to go to ASDA so I popped into LIDL across the road and luckily their fajita sauce doesn't contain wheat - LIDL to the rescue! We used two jars and DH used both full sachets of fajita seasoning from the top of the jar (we normally just use half a pack per jar) so it was very spicy! Luckily I'd bought some sour cream and guacamole to help cool it down. Luckily as everything was prepped it didn't take long to cook so we weren't waiting long. We finished with cheese and biscuits (we'd got them for Christmas and not used them so it was good to use up more food). We also had a bottle of wine that we'd bought on holiday in Majorca that we all enjoyed and a desert wine that BiL hadn't tried as he didn't go with us on that day of the holiday... 2 bottles that we now don't have to take with us to Nottingham!

The in-laws were telling us that used a packing service when they moved MiL's mum and dad in with them and it was great. They said the packers are so experienced it didn't take them long at all to pack up and they are very careful and already have all the packing materials. It's convinced us so we're going to get some quotes for a full packing service. We received the pack from the house we're buying and there is a bit that states that delays after the completion date incur a severe financial penalty so it's probably best to leave it to the experts. Unfortunately, the last page of the seller's pack is the contract, and it was the wrong one - the solicitor (or more likely her admin) has put in someone else's contract so we're having to wait for a copy of ours to come through, although as we haven't heard anything about our buyer's signing, there isn't really any rush.

OP is now up to £35.05 - it's so close to payout, that's helping to keep me motivated to check every day. I've also received my payment from Pinecone and Prolific. I haven't had nay new surveys through from them though so progress slow on that front. I referred my mum to TopCashBack and she has now met the threshold so the money is showing as 'confirmed', just waiting for that to hit payable and I'll add that to my RS fund. I also paid in my £83 change float that we use for car boot sales, stalls etc. as I won't be doing anything before the move and would hate to accidentally lose that money in the move so I thought it's best sitting in my RS fund for now and I can always withdraw some change for a float later. So far I'm at £184 / £300 so just over half of my target for the month.

To Do: (listing for accountability)
    1) List kitchen table and chairs for sale (failed to do so the other day)
    2) Bring down the broken beds and mattresses and put them outside so I can arrange bulky household waste collection
    3) Arrange bulky household waste collection
    4) Ring movers to arrange quotes for packing & moving
    Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jan 2018 £11,900
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Jan 2018 -£193,000
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Jan 2018 -£123,800
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Jan 2018 -£3,402.29
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Jan 2018 -£30,565.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / April 2017 -£14,003.85
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 12th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Woohoo, my £15 referral from TopCashBack became payable this morning so I have requested a payout. That should hit my RS account in the next few days. I have been waiting sooo long for that to become payable so I am really chuffed with that.

I also have bids on fleabay. I normally list something fixed priced with the option to make an offer but I wasn't sure what to price a few things at so I just did auction and 2 of the items have had a few bids each already. I'm really pleased with that too. Even if I don't get any more bids I would be happy to sell for what they're at now. It's inspired me to list some more items so I'm going to try and list as much as I can this weekend.

Tonight's tea will consist mainly of YS items. they were all reduced but with a day's date still left on them so I can't complain. I love a bargain. It's not often that I get YS items nowadays as I tend to get food shopping delivered to save from impulse buying but I went to the local Co-op late not long before closing and they had loads so I took quite a bit that said it was suitable for home freezing and something for tonight that wouldn't freeze. That should last me a week. I saw a clip on FB last night about a woman who must be the queen of YS. All she ever buys is YS and she fills her freezer or if it can't be frozen she cooks it up same day and then freezes for later. She feeds her family on virtually nothing, top MSE there!

I spoke to mum yesterday and the doctor had been to see dad. He has a chest infection, which is why he is rattling They're going to give him some antibiotics but the doctor said the same as the nurse, he's down to weeks now and not many at that. I'm not sure he'll see out the end of January and to be honest, I'm glad. He's gone from the most intelligent and quick witted man I know to a shell and I know he's not enjoying life. It's terrible and such a rare illness that they don't know much about. I'm hopeful though with the recent breakthrough they made about Huntington's disease as neurodegenerative diseases seem to share some similarities in how they occur so it should hopefully shed light on PSP, alzheimer's etc. I hope they find a cure one day to stop others going through it. Dad's doing his bit by donating his brain to research and my brother's doing another marathon to raise fund again this year (it's an ultra marathon - he's nuts!) which I've sponsored him for. That's another £50 from this month's pot, but worth it

Best news of the day... It's Friday! Last working day of the week so I get to sleep in tomorrow, marvelous
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 13th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,059 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Oh Charley, such a tough time for your family. It’s inspiring how positive and practical you are!!

My last lot of eBay sales didn’t even get a video I’m feeling a bit deflated- need to list the little pile but need a kick up the bum to get it done!

What YS items did you get? My local Tesco does great Mark-downs but there are some regulars who swoop in and get most of it - normally all that’s left is sliced beef from the deli (we’re a Hindu household) or sausage rolls (which we leave as bad for our waistlines!) :P
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £391.44/ £3000 13%

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 13th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks KK x

I know that feeling, I usually need a kick up the bum to list anything

The YS items I got were some packs of chicken in a cheese and leek sauce, some tubs of ready made mash potato, a couple of packets of veg to steam in the microwave, a couple of packs of bread rolls, some burgers, some sausages and some chicken... cheaper and a lot of it is either pre made or really easy to make so it will double for when we can't be bothered to cook and would usually go for a takeaway - at least if we just need to bung it in the oven we have no excuse to be lazy and waste money on a takeaway.

We have the electrician coming today to do the electrical safety test / certificate. Hopefully it won't throw up any expensive issues. Fingers crossed! The buyers have been asked for a date from their solicitor and unfortunately the date they suggested doesn't work for our seller (It's her 40th coming up so she's having a party that day and then she's going to be away afterwards) so we might have to try and squeeze it in early. It's a bit of a nightmare trying to coordinate but really I just need to speak to a removal company and see what's possible.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 7,496 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hope you manage to sort out the moving date!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks MV, it certainly seems to be proving a challenge as our buyer has a fixed date they need to leave and the seller is being awkward about dates (but I do understand where she is coming from). I'm sure we'll figure something out between us. The electrician didn't come on Saturday... he'd gone to the buyer's house as he was doing their electrical certificate and had some issues to correct and apparently if he didn't stay until their issues were fixed they'd have had no power, so he's coming on Sunday instead.

On a positive note, I sold another 4 items on fleabay over the weekend so it's spurred me on to list some more items this week - nothing like a sale to give temporary motivation for the bay of E
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    try harder
    Wow you are doing really well on the selling ,i need to list a few more things today too .
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    I'll try to send you some motivation through the internet... ... did that help?
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    try harder
    Certainly did .Thank you.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 7,496 Thanks
    themadvix
    Great going on Ebay - it seems to be a good time to list at the moment. It sounds like it was fair enough that the electrician went to the other house if they were going to be left without power!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 16th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks MV All but one of the items have been paid for now so I will posting them today. Yesterday I listed some hummingbird necklaces and decided to give 20% of the sales to the PSP Association as the hummingbird is their icon (when you have PSP and they do a brain scan, the area of the brain that is affected resembles a hummingbird so people with loved ones affected tend to use that as a symbol to remember them - I got a lovely hummingbird Christmas tree ornament to commemorate my Dad in future years). I also posted a link to the necklaces on the charity's Facebook page and the PSP chat page where we share tips and ask questions etc, with a cheeky link to my brother's fundraising which will go to support the charity. I sold one straight away yesterday so I will post that too and 20% will go to the charity - I think it gets taken straight away from the sale of the item, but if not I'm sure they'll add it to my next bill. I'm not really sure how it works but I was glad that the PSPA was listed as a charity. Just 3 more to go so I'm hoping they sell and make a bit more money for the charity and clear some more of my stock

Totally agree about the electrician... I certainly wouldn't have them without power! Fingers crossed it goes more smoothly here

Prolific seems to have gone a bit quiet again so I've cashed out what was approved and will keep looking for more studies later. OnePoll is now at £36.55, not too much further to go!

It's been snowing here today, after we've been running down the freezer and tin cupboard! I think I'll venture out later and just stock up on some more groceries so that if we get stuck in we'll be ok. We still have enough food to last us a little while but I'll top up, just in case.

Now I have to look into removal companies and make some appointments for quotes. I'm going to ask for prices to pack up and move, and just to move what we pack ourselves. I'm hoping it's not too big a difference to get them to pack for us, but we'll see. We also need to move the beds out ready for the council to collect them... I'm not sure how long it takes them to collect so I want to get that done sooner rather than later (we should have already done it by now). Aargh when I start writing what needs to be done ti sounds a lot more than in my head. Better get a move on!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 17th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 7,496 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hummingbird necklaces sound lovely.

Bad timing on the snow's part I think, doesn't the weather know you've hardly got any food in?!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 17th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Hmmm, I can't seem to log into OnePoll today. It looks as though the site might be down. Is anyone else having problems?
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 7,496 Thanks
    themadvix
    It wasn't just you, I couldn't get on it either. Haven't checked today yet though.
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 18th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Ah, I've just been onto OP and it says the site is down for maintenance. Well that explains why it wouldn't load. Oh well, I'll keep popping back for a look.

I seem to be making an ok start at SB. I have been meeting the daily target (although I read on the SB forum that it goes up and gets a lot more difficult to reach), and I have discovered some of the ways to earn such as the Swago board and spins. Hopefully I'll get familiar with the jargon and figure out how to find codes (yesterday the forum was posting codes about soup which seemed to work, except one that had timed out, so I'll keep an eye there in case they post more codes). I also picked up YouGov. I got fed up of it a while back and stopped. I don't know why but I'm really not a fan of their surveys, but I will try doing them until I get fed up and then take another break. I haven't had anything else from Prolific either. They seemed to be like buses and all came at once and now it's quiet again. I'll keep checking back every day to see if anything else appears. I'm trying to remember that these surveys etc. are a bonus and I shouldn't expect them to be there - there are no guarantees so everything I have had so far is a bonus

I have been looking into packing services and it sounds like packing adds about £200 to the price of removal so if that's the case we'll definitely use the packing service. I have a few companies coming round next week to asses and provide quotes. I told them we're aiming for 9th Feb but that may change - they seemed to take it in their stride so I guess they're used to dates not being confirmed until later on.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 18th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    try harder
    Oh the hummingbird necklaces what a lovely thought i hope lots get sold ch4rly its a great cause .
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 18th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    I was scrolling through Facebook at lunchtime today and saw a post about the old £1 still being accepted by the backs. The article was urging people to check their old purses, piggy banks etc., which I have done recently, but I suddenly remembered a piggy bank I have in the spare room so thought I'd better check it. I'm not rich, but there was £6.88 in there that I had completely forgotten about (I only really thought about it last week when I was looking at what delicate items we'd have to pack in each room), and as they say 'every little helps'! I'll pay it into the bank next time I'm passing.

I also noticed I have £18.49 on my Co-op membership card and £47.67 on my Nectar card. I think I'll save the Nectar points until I have enough to buy an Amazon Echo dot for the kitchen and when my Co-op card gets to £20 I'll give it to mum to treat herself. I did that for her with my Boots card and it seemed to cheer her up a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's not a miracle cure that will stop her feeling so rubbish about everything and so tired from everything she does, but if it takes her mind off things for a bit while she has a look round and puts a smile on her face even for just a few minutes then I'll be very happy

I've finally got round to taking photos of the dining table and chairs. I've put it on fleabay and a few pages on Facebook. I've never sold furniture before so I'll see how it goes. I might add it to Gumtree as well - again that's something I'm not really familiar with but it's worth a shot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,764Posts Today

9,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• This is perhaps the most ridiculous tool I've seen online, it values your name based on what a sample of 500,000 ea? https://t.co/39sRBJrLt3

• RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• Follow Martin