Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 1,014Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Dreaming of financial freedom!
    • 19th Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    Dreaming of financial freedom! 19th Jan 17 at 2:37 PM
    Hi everyone reading this!

I hadn't thought about writing my own MFW diary until another user suggested it, so I have no idea if anyone will be interested in what I have to say, but I'll just post it and you can ignore if it's rubbish So here's my story...

I turn 30 next month and I would like to be mortgage free as soon as possible. My husband and I work in IT and, at least in my company, it seems to be that most jobs are being moved abroad. My dad also worked in IT was made redundant at 53 before my parents had finished their mortgage so I think that is why I am so anxious about having mortgage debt and would like to pay it off ASAP.

We bought our first house in 2006 and sold it three years later in the middle of the recession for a loss of £6k, which wasn't ideal but it allowed us to purchase a house we couldn't have otherwise afforded as the vendors needed a quick sale so were prepared to drop their price. We moved in to the new house at the back end of 2009 and didn't need to do anything to it, which is a good job as we didn't have any spare money at the time! After a few years I got a job that paid well and we started overpaying on the mortgage, which we decided to do rather than save up as we would get a nice lump sum if we were made redundant. I loved seeing the mortgage go down!

In 2011 my dad was diagnosed with a progressive neurodegenerative illness, which means his brain is slowly dying and was given a life expectancy of approximately 7 years, although it differs for everyone. My parents decided to make the most of their time together and bought a static caravan by a lake, which they lived in happily for a couple of years before my dad started having too many falls to continue living there and they moved into an independent living unit near Holmfirth, which isn't too far from where my in-laws live so it made visiting them all on our weekends up from Nottingham so much easier! By 2014 my dad had deteriorated quite a bit and my husband and I discussed leaving Nottingham so we could live closer to our parents in Yorkshire. At this point, the house was valued at £170,000 and the mortgage was at £108,000. Had we stayed and continued paying the same amount each month we would be mortgage free by 2021 but if we moved we would either have to rent (which we both saw as dead money) or buy another place that would be more expensive for a comparable house so it was a difficult decision. Around the same time my father-in-law got cancer, so we decided that moving up would be the best option. The only problem was that my dad was deteriorating rapidly and it takes ages for houses in our area to sell so we'd miss the last bit of time with my dad in a reasonable condition and could miss being there for the in-laws when they needed us through the cancer treatment process. At this point, I suggested we rent out our house and buy another house closer to our parents. I first spoke to my mortgage provider and asked if there was a way to release equity from our house and move it onto a buy-to-let mortgage then purchase another property. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow us to do this, but luckily MSE sings the praises of London and Country mortgage brokers and as they don't charge a fee I thought it would be worth giving them a call. I am so glad I did! My advisor Adam found me a new residential mortgage and let-to-buy mortgage (which is apparently very similar to a buy-to-let mortgage but it is when you already owned the property when you decided to rent it out) so we could use equity from our house. A couple of months later we moved into our new house and our old house was rented out shortly after.

After 2 years, our fixed deals have just come to an end and this is where we now stand...

Residential mortgage:
    Started at £216,000 on 3.29% with no OPs allowed.
    From January 4th, the property has 80% LTV and is on 1.99% for 3 years with 10% OP allowed. Started at £204,000 but as I had to guess what amount I would need when I first applied 3 months ago, we were refunded £1,404 so the mortgage now stands at £202,596. The standard mortgage payment £916 but I set the DD up at £1,100 as that's what we paid before so there is an overpayment there without any hardship. I can't wait to see this go under £200k, and then I will set £10k goals.

Buy-to-Let mortgage:
    Started at £136,000 on 4.79%, and we started making overpayments of £250pm.
    From February the property will have a 73% LTV and will be on 2.64% for 2 years. Again, we applied for this mortgage 3 months ago and I guessed £129,000 but when I checked yesterday it stood at £127,895 so we will be due some money back and will pay that off the mortgage straight away.The standard DD is £638 but I am considering whether to leave the payments at £1,000 as they previously were.

The only fly in the ointment now is that our jobs aren't as secure as they used to be, and there are rumours of redundancy packages being dropped to statutory rates, which I understand isn't very much. This has made me think that we ought to have some savings in case one or both of us gets made redundant. We have £1500 in premium bonds saved up for house repairs but that wasn't much of a safety net. Luckily, we have just received a cheque for £4,900 from my husband's stock that he just sold so for the first time ever we finally have some security. We would have previously put it straight on the mortgage but with the current uncertainty around jobs it is nice to have a bit of a safety net. The timing couldn't be better!

I'll be honest. I'm rubbish with budgets. I don't know how much we spend and I know I could be a lot more careful with my spending. We do have takeaways and eat out quite a bit, mainly because we both work long hours and very tired on an evening and don't want to then spend a big chunk of our evenings cooking. If I'm even more honest, part of it is laziness However, I want to change that as I'm sure we could save some real money and be healthier if we cook more so I'm thinking maybe meal plans, online shopping so I don't get tempted by add on products and don't have to give up a load of time to go to the supermarket, and maybe the odd ready meal in place of a takeaway when we're feeling tired / lazy. I am also going to have a look into slow cooker recipes that I could put on in a morning so it's ready for us as soon as we finish working.

My goal is to start logging what we spend and make a proper budget!

Some (limited) financial info:
    Husband earns around £3,000 net each month.
    I earn around £1,700 net each month.
    Rental income, after expenses, is £678 per month.

Mortgage 1 £1,100
    Mortgage 2 £322 (£1,000 payment minus £678 rent, assuming we keep the payment the same)
    Car loan £500 (ends in October 2017)
    Loan to In-Laws £250 (not accruing any interest)
    Water bill £26
    Council Tax £128
    Gas & Electric £94.14
    BG Home Care £29.50
    Mobile 1 £13
    Mobile 2 £20
    Sky TV, internet and phone £70.93 (up for renewal tomorrow so will haggle or switch to Virgin)
    Car insurance £632 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in April)
    Home insurance £491 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in December)
    Pet insurance £69.61 in 2016 (paid in a lump sum in November)
    Landlord insurance £219.21 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Rent Guarantee and Legal insurance £125 in 2017 (paid in a lump sum in January)
    Gas Safety Certificate £60 (annual, paid in February)

Unsure on food and entertainment costs (really need to get a grip on this) but after paying our credit cards we end up with between £500 and £1500 left at the end of the month, which we have recently been spending on home improvements, insurance, Christmas etc. so we haven't saved much of this. We are also thinking about joining a gym so that might also be another expense in future. If I think of any other expenses I will add them but I think that's pretty much it for now.

I will try and update this as and when I get more information or manage to make savings / OPs. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 20-01-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the current mortgage values.
Page 12
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 29th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks for the lovely comments guys.

Well, FIL got some answers to his questions, but some of them were unclear or seemed to be skirted round so we still need clarification. He's going to send back some more questions and hopefully we can get a clear answer to help with his assessment. Currently, it looks like the business is in a break-even / little profit situation, but that's with assumptions so he needs to get some real answers to figure that out, then we need to decide if we think we can grow the business to make it profitable (it has been profitable previously, which is why FIL wants to know what has changed as the accounts given aren't complete), and if we want to buy the business, what offer to make. I have so many ideas for developing the business and quite frankly would love to leave my current job, so I am eagerly awaiting their answers and FIL's assessment. As I'm sure you can tell from my previous responses - I am not the most patient person!

Dad's feeling better after a course of antibiotics. His chest has cleared up and he isn't as drowsy. He's still sleeping a lot, but I'm so pleased that when he is awake he's a bit more with it. The manager was telling mum that she'd had to take on a fight for my dad. He takes some tablets that are huge and part of his condition is that he can no longer swallow. The doctor refused to prescribe the liquid version and instead told the nursing home to grind up the tablets and make him chew them - not only would they taste horrible, but it says on the packet not to crush them (they don't get absorbed in the right part of the body if you do). Luckily, the manager is a fully trained nurse so she knows all about it. After the doctor refused to prescribe the liquid form a second time she has contacted the prescription service and they have agreed to let dad have liquid and she is going to complain about the doctor for being unethical. I understand that the liquid form is more expensive so you can't go prescribing it willy nilly, but when there is a medical need it is just wrong not to prescribe it. I am so glad there is such a lovely lady at dad's place looking after the residents

The in-laws went to check out a local car boot sale at the weekend that was recommended to them and it looks good so we're going to have a table there next weekend. I have a lot of de-cluttered items that I need to get shut of so I will be glad to give up my Sunday in exchange

eBay sales are steady. I sold a silver bracelet last week and made about £55 after all the fees, so a good sale for me. Unfortunately the money will be gone this week. I took a lot of my jewellery into our local jeweller to get written valuations for insurance purposes. I always use them but when someone who works in the trade recommended them I felt much better. I know some places charge you a percentage of the valuation, which makes me think that they'll bump up the price to earn more. Luckily this guy charges £6.85 per item so I feel more assured about that. I realised when I was renewing the home insurance that I don't actually know what a lot of these items are worth now, and quite a few have been gifts or passed down the family so I have no receipts for them (which the insurance company insisted on when the in-laws were burgled) so I think it will be money well spent. I have taken photos in advance and have created a file with all the receipts and photos. I've put together a spreadsheet listing our more expensive items so that if we are burgled I can check against the list to see what's been taken and what hasn't, and provide the list to our insurance company. I certainly don't think I'd be calm and clear headed enough to know if I was upset following a burglary so I'm preparing it now.

That's all folks
    Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Current £11,200
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Current -£195,420
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Current -£124,790
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Current -£3,506.43
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Current -£31,565.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / 29th April 2017 -£14,003.85
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 30th Aug 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,417 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi Charly, glad to hear your dad is doing better It's annoying about the business as it does seem as if they're trying to hide something. It sounds like you're really enthusiastic about it - if this doesn't come off, will you look for other similar opportunities or is it a one-off?

Great idea about getting your jewellery valued and everything written down in one place - I might steal that idea as it'll make doing the home insurance renewal so much easier too!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 30th Aug 17, 9:52 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Glad your dad is doing better. Fingers crossed you get the answers you want with regards to the business! x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 1st Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks Vix and Jessy.

Well, FIL sent a few of the questions back and didn't really get an answer so we're going to go an visit her again to show her how the figures are looking and ask our questions. She seemed a little offended when we asked about the numbers, which I understand as she's built this company from the ground up so won't want to feel scrutinised or like we're only interested in the numbers, but at the end of the day we need to know what the company is worth and how much it is likely to make as I will be giving up my job for this so it will be my livelihood and we want to pay a fair price. I'm sure when we meet up with her and explain why we're asking the questions we are she will understand and not take it personally. We are genuinely interested in the business and excited by it, but just need to make sure we're not going to be flushing tens of thousands of pounds and my career down the drain

Good question Vix. I think this has lit a spark in us. We both dislike our jobs and our company so I think at the very least we will look to change jobs now, but I really like the idea of us owning a business / being our own bosses. We put in so many hours at the moment just to make the company shareholders richer, I think we would feel completely different about putting all the time and effort in if its for us. Plus, it would be great to leave behind writing goals, asking for feedback, having review etc. that take up so much time and effort just to tick a box saying we've done it. I think we just want to do something we actually enjoy!

The mortgages were paid today. Tilly tidied £32.96 across to bring the residential mortgage down to £196200 but I have to wait a week for the interest to be added to the buy-to-let mortgage before I can TT anything for that one.

I'm preparing our tax returns for the rental income and seem to have it down to a fine art this year. This is the third time I've done it and I have everything sorted into headers that match the tax return so it will be a lot easier to complete the return and also see where I got the numbers from if I look back at it later! I seem to dread doing it but it's not as bad as I thought. I'll get FIL to check it over once complete as he is a chartered accountant and will be able to see if I've made any mistakes... it's handy having that skill in the family

I've also done my MFW summary for August.... nowhere near last month's survey amount, but then I haven't done much this month so it makes sense.

Aug-17

Pinecone Surveys £6.00
    Survey Total! £6.00

Grout Wizard £140.00
    Saving Total! £140.00

Taking Grandma shopping £40.00
    Gifts Total! £40.00

TopCashBack £27.38
    Free Sky Store Movie and DVD from BG £13.99
    Freebie Total £41.37

eBay Sales (After fees) £72.32
    Sales Total £72.32

Nectar points added after being stolen £10.00
    MFW Wins Total £10.00

Roof more expensive than quoted -£140.00
    MFW Fails Total -£140.00

Accepted to Tesco Home Panel to review freebies
    Milestone: £10k emergency savings reached

Right, I'm going to go and visit my dad while he's awake. Have a good day everyone.
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 1st Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Actually, before I go, how could I forget... we got the quotes through for the work on the rental property this week. It's painful but not as bad as we thought. £240 for the electrical work and certificate, and £270 for the bathroom work, so £510 in total. I'll add that as a MFW fail in next months numbers as that's when it will hit us.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 2nd Sep 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,417 Thanks
    themadvix
    It's easy to forget Charly - I always think of something major once I've posted!

Hope you caught your dad awake.

The business sounds interesting and I hope you get the answers you need. She's obviously very emotionally involved in the business, so going to see her sounds like a good plan. I know what you mean about the idea being attractive. I often think about having a different business (something more outgoing)/working with DH - if we buy somewhere with a bit of land we'd likely open a camping/glamping type venture, probably alongside our existing jobs.

Your tax return sounds very organised and I'm envious of you having someone to check it!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 3rd Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 8,355 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    I feel your pain with the writing objectives and reviewing them: my company makes me do them but due to job role changes and lack of consistent management mine aren't set yet- only 4 work months left this year so not like it's that important then
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2151.52: £2150 100%
    Last 3 months- Sep £206.32 Oct: £179.60 Nov: £12.58

Emergency fund £3945/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 5th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Well, after another visit to the business we have some more information and hopefully enough to work out some real figures/projections from. DH and I are so much more excited about the prospect of buying it now, but need FIL to check everything so we don't let our hearts rule our heads. He'll be putting something together and we're going round this evening to talk through it. I hope the potential is enough to make this a good choice. I'm not enjoying work at the moment and have been moved into a side-step position rather than the promotion I was told I'd get over a year ago! If this business doesn't work out, we will definitely be looking for something else. I must say, the thought of leaving my £31k salary, plus my pension contributions, is very daunting. For a period of time I may not get any salary so I know the MSE forums will be of a great use to me then. But, nothing worth having comes easily and we're so fortunate that we can just about make do on DH's salary. I'm sure with the family behind us we can make it a great success.

I'm taking my Grandma shopping this evening. I enjoy taking her out and then having a catch up over a cup of tea and a bun. DH is having his brother round to watch a film and then we're all heading over to the in-laws after. We have the BIL round every week, but it'll be nice for DH to have some boys' time with him (and nice for me not to have to watch a film that I have no interest in!).

I'm considering making a Christmas cake. I imagine now is about the right time to do so to let enough alcohol soak in. Traditionally DH and I have ordered a cake from a local baker and that's been an additional gift to the family from us, but considering there'll only be DH, BIL, my mum and me at Christmas it seems a bit excessive to buy a £45 cake for us! Plus, I don't think we'd ever get through the thing. I'm going to take a look at some recipes online, and we have lots of alcohol on the bar that would go with it nicely so I think I can class this as a money saving project

I'm terrible for forgetting to take things out of the freezer, so I end up buying more and more but not using it. I really must get into the habit of checking the night before. I was really pleased the other day to get 4 cartons of New Covent Garden soup for 10p per carton. They said suitable for freezing so I bunged them all in the freezer and will take a carton out for lunch tomorrow. My mum gave me a tip that you can make up sandwiches in advance and freeze them. I haven't tried it yet, but if we end up buying this business and I travel into work every day then I can imagine it will be a time and money saver. Has anyone on here had any experience with freezing sandwiches?
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 7th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Well, we've had a look at the numbers, and there is potential with the business. We're putting in an offer Fingers crossed it works out. I'm trying not to get too excited as I know there were others looking at it and our offer is quite a bit below the asking price (slightly more than we think it is worth in its current state, but not as much as she's asking for it) so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. It feels good to have made a decision finally, but now we have to agonizing wait to hear the seller's decision. I'm keeping all my fingers crossed and thinking good thoughts

I got a call from my Grandma on Tuesday asking if I'd do the shopping for her. This is unlike her as she really likes the trip out and likes to look at what she's buying. When I got to her place she told me she'd fallen the day before and was on the floor a long time before the paramedics got to her so she was in pain and didn't feel up to the shopping trip I hate to think of her on the floor in pain after a fall but I am so glad she has a fall alarm. They rang mum and mum said it wouldn't be a false alarm and asked them to send an ambulance. That alarm is worth its weight in gold! Apparently they gave her "a full MOT" while they were there Even though she couldn't go shopping, we still had the usual cake, tea and chat afterwards so she didn't miss out completely!

I went to visit Dad at lunch yesterday. He isn't well at all and he was so tired. He is tired a lot of the time now ad he struggles to eat, even the pureed food. He doesn't talk much either just can still say the odd word and phrase, which I guess I should be thankful for as some people with PSP lose the ability to speak altogether. The nurse told mum that he's declining rapidly now and she thinks he's near the end. I really hope that is the case as it's no life for him. He was always such an intelligent and proud man that this is just a dreadful end for him. On a positive note, I just found out yesterday that the PSP Association just won a £25,000 grant from the Masonic charitable trust. Recently the PSP Association also posted on Facebook a quote from a Consultant Neurologist at Cambridge University Hospital saying that for the first time it seems a cure is within reach. While it will still take a lot of fundraising and research, at least there is now hope. Too late for my dad unfortunately, but I hope they do find a cure and prevent this happening to others in future.

Trying to focus on the positives, today the sun is shining and it feels less autumn-like. Hope it stays this way for a while
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 8,166 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

I took a lot of my jewellery into our local jeweller to get written valuations for insurance purposes. I always use them but when someone who works in the trade recommended them I felt much better. I know some places charge you a percentage of the valuation, which makes me think that they'll bump up the price to earn more. Luckily this guy charges £6.85 per item so I feel more assured about that.

I realised when I was renewing the home insurance that I don't actually know what a lot of these items are worth now, and quite a few have been gifts or passed down the family so I have no receipts for them (which the insurance company insisted on when the in-laws were burgled) so I think it will be money well spent.

I have taken photos in advance and have created a file with all the receipts and photos. I've put together a spreadsheet listing our more expensive items so that if we are burgled I can check against the list to see what's been taken and what hasn't, and provide the list to our insurance company. I certainly don't think I'd be calm and clear headed enough to know if I was upset following a burglary so I'm preparing it now.

That's all folks
    Originally posted by ch4rly2002
    Hopefully this isn't teaching you to suck eggs, but what have you done with that file?
    Is it perhaps on a computer that might be stolen along with the jewelry? Make sure you have backups outside your house. You could probably do it for free with many backup services or just use soemthing like the free dropbox allowance
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 7th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks AnotherJoe for thinking of this. I have a paper copy, which admittedly I just keep on a shelf in my study, but I should probably lock that away. The electronic scans of receipts, photos and the spreadsheet I keep on my PC with a copy on a USB stick. This actually makes me think though, if there were to be a fire it would all be gone. I'll make a separate copy to keep at my mum's house and upload a copy to my OneDrive
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,417 Thanks
    themadvix
    Fingers crossed about the business!

Sorry to hear about your Grandma, but glad the alarm worked and she's okay - she sounds like a lovely lady!

Your Dad's condition sounds awful (I'd never heard of PSP before, but have just looked it up) - it must so hard for him, as well as you and your family. You're doing really well to keep so many plates in the air as well as finding time for him and your Grandma. That's good news about the grant - let's hope the researchers find a cure.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 7th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks Vix, that's a very sweet post Thank you for taking the time to look up Dad's illness, that's really thoughtful of you. To be honest, we'd never heard of PSP either until my Dad was diagnosed. I think that's part of the problem.. it's so rare and unknown that they struggle to raise awareness and funding. I'm sure the grant will go a long way for them, and lots of people whose family (mainly a parent) do quite a bit of fundraising - London marathon, sky dives etc. I hope they find a cure too. My dad will hopefully be donating his brain to research as it's such a rare illness, but they'd have to get it into appropriate storage within 4 hours! so, fingers crossed he doesn't pass away on a weekend or bank holiday as they may struggle. I hope that, if we do get this business, we can make it a huge success and make PSP the company's charity of choice
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 11th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Disappointing news, unfortunately our offer wasn't accepted for the business. They'd received a bid, almost double ours, 20 minutes prior by a cash buyer who could complete within a couple of weeks. Even if we had doubled our offer (which we wouldn't as there's no way it was worth that), the business owner would have still gone for the cash buyer and quicker completion, so we didn't stand a chance. It is very disappointing, but it's lit a fire in us and we are thinking of what we would like to do next - look for new jobs, look for another business to buy or start our business from scratch. We are going on holiday with the in-laws next Monday for just shy of 2 weeks so we will have plenty of time to discuss ideas... over Sangria!

On a side note, while we were 'researching' the potential business opportunity, we discovered that ALDI's £9.99 per litre bottle of gin is really rather nice, so I'm wondering if I should class that as money saving?

I sold another item on eBay over the weekend, and have quite a few viewers on my other items, but I have learned not to count my chickens before they hatch with viewers - they're just window shopping normally! I'll take my listings down on Wednesday as I don't want people trying to buy things from me while I'm on holiday.

I went to visit my Grandma last night. She's not feeling too cracking at the moment. She's having a new kitchen next week though so she has something to look forward to. I learnt from the business experience that having something to be excited about makes such a difference. We'll go and pack up her kitchen on Sunday and then it shouldn't take too long for the work to be done.

Surveys are going nicely - OnePoll is up at £21.75 so just over half way I've given up on Yougov, I didn't really enjoy their surveys and it was taking so long to build up. I might go back to it in the future but for now it's on ice. I've had a couple of Pinecone survey invites this month too, which I always enjoy. Curiously, I haven't had any Bzzzagent invites for a while, but all my surveys are up to date... perhaps I'm just not their target audience for the latest product trials.

It's wet outside, but the sun is shining. I'm hoping the sun stays out and dries it all up - everything seems better when the sun is shining!
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 11th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Aww what a shame ch4rly but I'm a big believer in what is meant to be will be so I'm sure something else will come along soon that's just right for you! Are you still looking to move? (sorry if you've put about it previously, I'm abit behind with diaries at the moment!) x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 11th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Thanks Jessy. That's what my mum said, she too is a big believe of that as well.

No, we're going to stay here over winter while we think about what we want to do next and then look to put the house on the market in the spring. At least I'm a lot happier with the house now that we got some essential jobs done
    Last edited by ch4rly2002; 11-09-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 11th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Sorry to hear about your offer ch4rly. I agree with you about YouGov, find it a real slog at times to make it through the surveys!
    Outstanding Mortgage - 139,880.15 (73% LTV)
    Current end date: January 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,417 Thanks
    themadvix
    So sorry to hear about the business Charly, but I think you made the right decision... it can be someone else's headache now (not that it would have been if you'd bought it, but at double the price of what you reckoned it was worth, it will be I should think!)

The gin is definitely money saving!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 16th Sep 17, 7:20 AM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 8,355 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Just catching up Charley. Such a shame about the business and I'm a wholehwareted believe in the 'if it was meant to be' adage too. Something just right for you will come along I'm sure, especially now you're already open to changing things

How scary for your grandmother- glad she is doing ok after the fall.

Also, virtual hugs for you & your dad. You cope admirably with the situation but everyone needs a hug every now & then xx
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2151.52: £2150 100%
    Last 3 months- Sep £206.32 Oct: £179.60 Nov: £12.58

Emergency fund £3945/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 5th Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Sorry there hasn't been an update for a while, we went on holiday shortly after the last post. DH and I have just spent 2 weeks in Majorca, and it was a much needed break. We went all inclusive for a change so we didn't spend much while we were out there... I would recommend it! It was so nice knowing roughly how much the holiday was going to cost us rather than totting up the receipts at the end of the holiday and gloomily having to pay out a big credit card bill. The hotel was lovely and the food (and cocktails!) were great so that definitely helped

Things are back to normal now. Work is a bit slow as I get my security checks done and we find our way on our new accounts, but it does highlight to me that I still want something different so new job / business is still on my mind. The house is also going on the market soon. It feels good to have it all sorted and ready to go. Doubt we'll have much interest before spring, but at least if it's on people can see it and you never know - we did buy the house in December so I'm keeping optimistic.

I finally had a win on the PBs I'd decided that if I hadn't had a win in a year I would move it into a savings account until I had more (and therefore more chances to win), but 9 months in and I've won £25, which is about what I'd have made in interest in a normal account but I also had the chance of winning a million, so for now they're staying put. That makes £50 win between DH and me.

I'm going to update my signature now... happy Thursday everyone - nearly the weekend!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter