Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Posh88
    • By Posh88 18th Jan 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Posh88
    HSBC basic bank account upgrade
    • 18th Jan 17, 9:44 PM
    HSBC basic bank account upgrade 18th Jan 17 at 9:44 PM
    Hi

I'm in the process of repairing my credit history, I have recently opened a HSBC basic account (decline for the normal account) and wondering if anyone has has any expierence upgrading this type of account after building some positive history with them?? Thanks
Page 1
    • sillysladey
    • By sillysladey 24th Jan 17, 10:17 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    sillysladey
    • 24th Jan 17, 10:17 AM
    • 24th Jan 17, 10:17 AM
    Hi, I'm in the process of doing the same, so far I have 4 months of good account management under my belt ( not going overdrawn & saving into an help to buy ISA, and no bounced DD's). My credit report is pretty bleak, however, on the 5th Feb my credit card limit through capital one is being increased which should improve my credit score, one of the negatives on my report is that I have a low limit (just £1k currently, being increased to £1.5k). I'm hopeful that after this HSBC will write to me offering me an upgrade to their advance account. But I've also read that they need to see 6 months of good management before the will offer anything so all in all I'm hopefully not too far off. The final blemish on my credit file drops off in May as well so hopefully by this time they will have no reason to decline me. but I'll keep you updated of my progress and dealings with them, please do the same as would be great to learnn from your story. KR Caaig
    • GibbsRule No3
    • By GibbsRule No3 24th Jan 17, 10:22 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    GibbsRule No3
    • 24th Jan 17, 10:22 AM
    • 24th Jan 17, 10:22 AM
    Cannot speak for HSBC but I have been with the basic Co Op Cashminder for over 7 years. I have a savings account with them that has £25,000 in and the Cashminder never has less than £1,000 in. DMP finished two years ago but they would not upgrade my account with them to a full account. So good luck and let people know if HSBC are better inclined.
    Paddle No 21
    • Crystal_Pixie
    • By Crystal_Pixie 24th Jan 17, 12:58 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Crystal_Pixie
    • 24th Jan 17, 12:58 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 12:58 PM
    Same problem with Nationwide. After 12 months I did a switch to TSBs basic plus account.

I would try switching after 6 to 8 months.
    • sillysladey
    • By sillysladey 28th Apr 17, 3:37 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    sillysladey
    • 28th Apr 17, 3:37 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 3:37 PM
    Hello, I hope you got sorted with this but just to update you, after 6 months if good financial managed of my account and not going overdrawn I was pre approved for a bank account upgrade, as of this week I'm an advance account holder, Wooop Wooop!!!
    • athertonsl
    • By athertonsl 12th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    athertonsl
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    Just wondering did they contact you to offer the upgrade or did you have to ask them? My friend opened a HSBC basic account in December and wants to open savings account but it won't let her with this account and so wants to upgrade to a normal bank account.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter