Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hungledink
    • By hungledink 18th Jan 17, 8:40 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 6Thanks
    hungledink
    0 WOW
    6kg hold luggage allowance
    • 18th Jan 17, 8:40 PM
    0 WOW
    6kg hold luggage allowance 18th Jan 17 at 8:40 PM
    I just booked a flight with thomas cook, not realising (I need to learn to read small print) the hand luggage allowance is only 6kg where most airlines have at least 10kg.

The dimensions of the cabin luggage for thomas cook are the same as they are for airlines with 10kg allowance, those dimensions being 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.

My bag fits the dimensions criteria but fully packed is just under 10kg.

Has anyone flown with thomas cook recently? Do they weigh all hand luggage?

I've frequently seen people try and take oversized bags on as hold luggage and they just get them put in the hold for free so before I pay for hold luggage I thought I'd see if anyone has any experience in this regard.
    Last edited by hungledink; 18-01-2017 at 8:44 PM. Reason: foolishness
Page 2
    • Westin
    • By Westin 17th May 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Westin
    Er well why have you made that comment about me alone when I actually tagged onto the comments by HoofeHearted, Pollycat, bigadaj, or leylandsunaddict.
    If you are going to be quite so OTT - you should chide everyone.
    Originally posted by ThinkingOutLoud
    Possibly because they all added comments at the time the thread was active back in January, but you have waited until Mid-May to add a pointless comment?
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th May 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    Possibly because they all added comments at the time the thread was active back in January, but you have waited until Mid-May to add a pointless comment?
    Originally posted by Westin
    So I wasn't aware that while a thread was open that you were not allowed to comment. Is this some rule you and you mate want to impose - but have failed to achieve?
    Has it occurred too you that I didn't see the thread at the time - so I didn't wait. Wrong.
    It is your post that is pointless. Wrong.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 17th May 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    So I wasn't aware that while a thread was open that you were not allowed to comment. Is this some rule you and you mate want to impose - but have failed to achieve?
    Has it occurred too you that I didn't see the thread at the time - so I didn't wait. Wrong.
    It is your post that is pointless. Wrong.
    Originally posted by ThinkingOutLoud
    Posting something (usually irrelevant) on a dormant thread to put it back at the top of the list is called necroposting, and it's generally considered to be bad forum etiquette.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 17th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Why do people need more than 6k hand luggage?

Hopefully this will be a the start of airlines reducing carry on. Fed up of going on flights where there isnt enough space for peoples "hand luggage" and we miss our allocated departure slot.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th May 17, 6:22 PM
    • 17,628 Posts
    • 44,866 Thanks
    Pollycat

Hopefully this will be a the start of airlines reducing carry on. Fed up of going on flights where there isnt enough space for peoples "hand luggage" and we miss our allocated departure slot.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Some people travel without hold luggage, especially if going away for just a few days.

We've done trips to various cities with just hand luggage.

When we are away for a 2. 3 or 4 week holiday and have hold luggage, we can manage easily with 5kg of hand luggage.

FTR, the OP had various answers to his question and if he had any sense he would have made sure his hand luggage was within TC rules.

For the benefit of ThinkingOutLoud, various other airlines were mentioned because the OP posted this - which is not accurate.
    I just booked a flight with thomas cook, not realising (I need to learn to read small print) the hand luggage allowance is only 6kg where most airlines have at least 10kg.
    Originally posted by hungledink
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th May 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    Posting something (usually irrelevant) on a dormant thread to put it back at the top of the list is called necroposting, and it's generally considered to be bad forum etiquette.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Fair enough - thanks for explaining the other posters' ire.
    It was not what I was doing or why I posted. I thought there was something unsaid about why different airlines have differing policies and the advantage of smaller carry on limits to turnaround times seemed unmentioned.
    I have NO reason or desire to put this thread anywhere. So the unfounded accusations and the manner of them are wrong and pointless.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 18th May 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 2,562 Thanks
    AubreyMac

Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    What I would like to see is the overhead lockers being allocated with the seat numbers. I hate when there is someone elses stuff in the locker above my seat and the owner is sitting elsewhere.

6k seems low to me but I have no concept on luggage weight, the past few times I've travelled I've not had to weigh my case, I just put it in the slot at the check in to ensure it's within the dimensions. I don't have luggage scales and not going to buy one anytime soon either.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th May 17, 10:56 AM
    • 17,628 Posts
    • 44,866 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What I would like to see is the overhead lockers being allocated with the seat numbers. I hate when there is someone elses stuff in the locker above my seat and the owner is sitting elsewhere.

6k seems low to me but I have no concept on luggage weight, the past few times I've travelled I've not had to weigh my case, I just put it in the slot at the check in to ensure it's within the dimensions. I don't have luggage scales and not going to buy one anytime soon either.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    What I'd like to see is airlines penalising those people who think rules don't apply to them and manage to take hand luggage that is over the stated dimensions and/or over the stated weight limit.
    And take more than the number of items they are supposed to.

If airlines did do that, you'd probably find that you'd have room above your seat for your own within-weight, within-size case.

Going over the maximum hand luggage weight could turn out to be quite a lot more expensive than buying a set of luggage scales if your bag is overweight and has to be checked into the hold.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 18th May 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 2,562 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    What I'd like to see is airlines penalising those people who think rules don't apply to them and manage to take hand luggage that is over the stated dimensions and/or over the stated weight limit.
    And take more than the number of items they are supposed to.

If airlines did do that, you'd probably find that you'd have room above your seat for your own within-weight, within-size case.

Going over the maximum hand luggage weight could turn out to be quite a lot more expensive than buying a set of luggage scales if your bag is overweight and has to be checked into the hold.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    What about people who wear everything and stuff pockets etc then take off once on plane and stuff the overhead lockers? They are an issue too.

That's currently how people get around the weight or size limit right?

Also, once passed the check in and security, I've seen people do big shops at duty free.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th May 17, 11:28 AM
    • 17,628 Posts
    • 44,866 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What about people who wear everything and stuff pockets etc then take off once on plane and stuff the overhead lockers? They are an issue too.

That's currently how people get around the weight or size limit right?

Also, once passed the check in and security, I've seen people do big shops at duty free.
    It may be that we take different types of flights.
    We usually have hold luggage included in the ticket price and if it isn't, we'd pay to take a checked bag.

I've never seen anyone in a coat with many pockets on a flight.

The way people usually get around the weight or size limit is to ignore it and hope for the best.

It's tedious to read the many posts on TA - 'how strict is airline x with hand luggage?'
    FFS, read what the website says and stick to the rules.
    Why do they think the rules don't apply to them?
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 18th May 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 2,562 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    It may be that we take different types of flights.
    We usually have hold luggage included in the ticket price and if it isn't, we'd pay to take a checked bag.

I've never seen anyone in a coat with many pockets on a flight.

The way people usually get around the weight or size limit is to ignore it and hope for the best.

It's tedious to read the many posts on TA - 'how strict is airline x with hand luggage?'
    FFS, read what the website says and stick to the rules.
    Why do they think the rules don't apply to them?
    Originally posted by Pollycat

My last flight was with Ryanair (got back last week from wonderful Krakow). Only recently (I only fly about once every year or 2) I have noticed a weight limit on the cabin luggage on top of the size limit. Last summer I flew with Easyjet who didn't have a weight limit (but might do now). My Krakow trip was the first time I travelled with only the cabin case, it is surprising how much you can actually fit with careful packing.

I agree that anyone who chances it risk paying extra, everyone is warned afterall. It's hit and miss and I guess checks can be random (though I agree it should be consistent and more strict/regular).

If I was over my limit, I'd rather throw some clothes etc away and re-buy them. I don't think any item I own is worth more than what the charge is for hold luggage anyway.

Didn't Martin Lewis himself suggest a specific type of jacket with lots of hidden pockets?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th May 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Easyjet don't have a weight limit but Ryanair always have. Same goes for Jet2, TCX, Thomson, Monarch, BA, VS etc.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 22nd May 17, 8:21 AM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    stephb34
    On Saturday I was in Kefalonia and there was screaming, shouting and a right commotion. They obviously had more than the one hand luggage each. The woman left behind her handbag, shoes and other items because it wouldn't fit in the case. The man was jumping up and down on the cases to make it fit in the bag sizer, they finally managed it but what a disgrace they were. They then let them through to board but the plane sat for ages on the runway and the police turned up not sure if it was for them or something else.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 17,628 Posts
    • 44,866 Thanks
    Pollycat
    On Saturday I was in Kefalonia and there was screaming, shouting and a right commotion. They obviously had more than the one hand luggage each. The woman left behind her handbag, shoes and other items because it wouldn't fit in the case. The man was jumping up and down on the cases to make it fit in the bag sizer, they finally managed it but what a disgrace they were. They then let them through to board but the plane sat for ages on the runway and the police turned up not sure if it was for them or something else.
    Originally posted by stephb34
    Why Oh Why are some people incapable of understanding that rules on luggage apply to them as well as everybody else?

Or are they just too stupid to read the rules in the first place?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 22nd May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 18,496 Posts
    • 42,418 Thanks
    peachyprice

Ha, me too. I had my laptop bag and coat in a locker above my seat a few weeks ago, some moron got on the plane late, couldn't find anywhere for his huge case so threw (yes literally) my coat in a locker half way up the plane.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd May 17, 9:50 AM
    • 17,628 Posts
    • 44,866 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Ha, me too. I had my laptop bag and coat in a locker above my seat a few weeks ago, some moron got on the plane late, couldn't find anywhere for his huge case so threw (yes literally) my coat in a locker half way up the plane.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Rude !!!!!!!
    What did you do/say?
    • springdreams
    • By springdreams 26th May 17, 5:36 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 31,354 Thanks
    springdreams
    This used to irritate me too until I found out that as the crew board first their luggage goes into the overhead lockers first. Then supplies like head sets and blankets etc. are also put into some of the overhead lockers. So quite a few times people cannot put their hand luggage in the overhead locker directly above their seat because it is already taken up by the aforementioned. They are therefore forced to place it in a free locker elsewhere.
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
    • Aletank
    • By Aletank 26th May 17, 8:51 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Aletank
    Planes overhead luggage compartments have been made bigger lately due to more people choosing to just have carry on luggage, in turn the hold compartment must be less used, airlines save money with baggage handler costs etc.
    Why don't they design the planes to have a compartment in every foot space that fits a carry on size bag in, like a trap door.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 26th May 17, 10:31 PM
    • 18,095 Posts
    • 7,423 Thanks
    richardw
    ...Why don't they design the planes to have a compartment in every foot space that fits a carry on size bag in, like a trap door.
    Originally posted by Aletank
    That would impede evacuating an air craft in an emergency.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 27th May 17, 7:55 AM
    • 6,854 Posts
    • 8,438 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    That would impede evacuating an air craft in an emergency.
    Originally posted by richardw
    I suppose it depends on the design. Sometimes not having "containers" gives more storage space anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,303Posts Today

6,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin