Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slhqoue
    • By slhqoue 18th Jan 17, 4:02 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 4Thanks
    slhqoue
    TV License issues
    • 18th Jan 17, 4:02 PM
    TV License issues 18th Jan 17 at 4:02 PM
    Hi there,

We own a TV, bought around 12 months ago, which we use to watch Netflix, and occasionally Channel 4 catchup. Since the rules changed we haven't once watched BBC iPlayer, and we never watch live TV.

We are getting constant, harassing emails about not having a TV license. We have now been told our address 'has been scheduled for a visit by an Enforcement Officer' and says what will happen if they find 'evidence of watching or recording live TV programmes'. There is also a number to call to stop this visit.

The reason I haven't called the number yet is that I've read advice that the best thing to do is simply ignore these letters. Yet I really want to stop receiving them! I also don't know what this Enforcement Office will actually want to do when he turns up - we connect our laptops to the TV by HDMI cable, so will he want to check our browsing histories? This seems like a bit of an invasion of privacy, but again we have nothing to hide!

Any advice much appreciated.
Page 2
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 11th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    I hear that BBC is moving iPlayer to some sort of verification of licence online which will be a great thing, as it will show they can sell their TV via subscription. They will not need Crapita after that.

Can't wait!!
    Originally posted by EdwardB
    That's assuming that the BBC want their services to be online only though. They don't because millions of people still watch TV over the air and there is no way of using a subscription unless they implement viewing cards, which won't happen.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 11th Mar 17, 11:53 PM
    • 9,411 Posts
    • 8,970 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    That's assuming that the BBC want their services to be online only though. They don't because millions of people still watch TV over the air and there is no way of using a subscription unless they implement viewing cards, which won't happen.
    Originally posted by Marvqn1
    Don't most TVs have viewing card slots? Something to do with an EU directive, I think.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 13th Mar 17, 1:22 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    Don't most TVs have viewing card slots? Something to do with an EU directive, I think.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Im not sure. I think most TV's just have a CAM slot, so you need a CAM module to be able to insert a viewing card.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 9,411 Posts
    • 8,970 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Im not sure. I think most TV's just have a CAM slot, so you need a CAM module to be able to insert a viewing card.
    Ah, okay, thanks for that. It sounds like a start, though.

Personally, I favour something slightly different - using a disadvantage as a benefit.

The idea would be to provide parallel streams of BBC1 & 2 at certain times of the day/week. The FTA stream would carry advertising and there would be a parallel Subscription stream that would be available on platforms that supported it without ads. That would give people a free choice, whilst the amount of advertising would not be so vast as to overly undermine the commercial FTA sector.

The parallel schedules would be subject to in-fill news bulletins, trailers and other small programs on Subscription so as to release, say, 15 mins of advertising space between 7 & 9 on weekday evenings - there is probably already this much slack (or close to it) in the schedules.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 13th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Well that is an interesting idea but I can't see the BBC liking it, that catchup sounds horrible because they would fill it with crap previes and other junk.

I am against the ads because they reduce the length of the programmes and thus their quality.

I have seen other ideas suggested and think the 5 year phasing in of subscription is the best option, they can get programmes "sponsored" by commercial companies and they can do more product placement in their productions. They can also charge Sky for including it in their range or use their platform for subs, personally I would not pay Sky who have a habit of ripping off TV channels.

We have all the kit we need since getting rid of analogue, freeview boxes and TV's have a card capability.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 9,411 Posts
    • 8,970 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Well that is an interesting idea but I can't see the BBC liking it, that catchup sounds horrible because they would fill it with crap previes and other junk.
    I believe they already do.

I am against the ads because they reduce the length of the programmes and thus their quality.
    I've never really understood that argument. I would have thought that a program is either the right length for its storyline or it isn't. I'm also a big fan of brevity being the soul of wit. Some US programs cram a great deal of entertainment into 21 or 42 minutes.

We have all the kit we need since getting rid of analogue, freeview boxes and TV's have a card capability.
    I understand that a large number of Freeview boxes do not have a card slot. At least that's what Lord Grade told the Perry Review of the Licence Fee - sometimes the Powers That Be behave so bizarrely that you really could not make it up.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-03-2017 at 6:38 PM.

• EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 13th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    EdwardB
    I believe they already do.
    Does not mean it is the right thing to do.

I've never really understood that argument. I would have thought that a program is either the right length for its storyline or it isn't. I'm also a big fan of brevity being the soul of wit. Some US programs cram a great deal of entertainment into 21 or 42 minutes.
    Well what I have noticed is that a great deal gets edited down to 40 odd minutes, the result is often that it does not flow.

We saw what happened with the studios when they had the writers strike, we used to get 22 to 24 episodes a season, the studios realised they could sell an 11 or 13 episode season for the same money.

Now this is spread out over a year with mid-season breaks that make the series impossible to follow and much weaker storylines.

I like it when a show is 72 minutes because it shows they made it to be as long as it needed to be.

I understand that a large number of Freeview boxes do not have a card slot. At least that's what Lord Grade told the Perry Review of the Licence Fee - sometimes the Powers That Be behave so bizarrely that you really could not make it up.
    Well I am sure that there are still a lot of analogue TV's out there and being given away on Freecycle but we have to move forward and a new box is about £15 at Tesco, or they can get an Amazon Firestick, a Roku box, hell even a NowTV box can be got for under £10.

The BBC needs to get with it, change is coming, embrace it and make the best of it.

You know what gets me is that they probably have the largest content library in the world, they can put all those old programmes online and sell them on subscription all over the world.

It is as if they are afraid to be commercial they it may save them from commercials!
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 13th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    You know what gets me is that they probably have the largest content library in the world, they can put all those old programmes online and sell them on subscription all over the world.

It is as if they are afraid to be commercial they it may save them from commercials!
    I guess the reason for not releasing old programmes is because there isn't enough demand for them to make it worthwhile. To highlight this, the BBC haven't even released all episodes of EastEnders on DVD or online.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 9,411 Posts
    • 8,970 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I guess the reason for not releasing old programmes is because there isn't enough demand for them to make it worthwhile. To highlight this, the BBC haven't even released all episodes of EastEnders on DVD or online.
    I really can't see people wanting Eastenders on DVD.

But providing old content for streaming is a lot lower cost, though. I thought that the "BBC Store" was supposed to be doing this, or did I miss something?

• Frugalsod
    • By Frugalsod 21st Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 38,651 Thanks
    Frugalsod
    I have been license free for two or three years. I did get a nice refund at the time and even had a home visit, I showed them the TV and even demonstrated it was not connected to an aerial, it even said no signal. Since my TV is used solely for Amazon Prime, Netflix, Gamepass as well as DVD's I have no problems with them. When I moved I told them that my no license situation had moved to the new address and and have had no problems at all with them. The iPlayer issue is not a problem for me either as I do not use that.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,639Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter