Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • jeffin
    • By jeffin 18th Jan 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TW flooding / ruining my property - advice sought
    • #1
    • 18th Jan 17, 1:46 PM
    TW flooding / ruining my property - advice sought 18th Jan 17 at 1:46 PM
    I would appreciate any help/advice on this horrible saga that has taken over my life.

    At my request Thames Water (using their subcontractor) installed a water meter into my property (under kitchen sink). Whilst doing so the 'technician' managed to severely flood my entire property for the best part of an hour as the stopcock burst & he was unable to turn it off or turn off the external ones (which he never checked were located before doing so).

    Substantial damage has been caused throughout the whole property, deeming it inhabitable for the next 6 months & all of our stuff has been ruined or taken to storage for inspection/repair.

    Property is owned by me & is a leasehold property. I've informed managing agent who said it's TW responsibility.

    TW have admitted full liability and fault.

    I would like advice on the following:
    1. I'm being advised by Loss Adjuster to claim via my insurance rather than Thames'. I only have contents insurance. If I do this surely my insurance renewal/excess will just increase. I can't see the benefit of this. I'm being told I will get a better deal as TW won't give me a 'new for old' cover.
    2. What are my rights? Although TW are paying for accommodation costs they are now not contactable even though I was promised 24/7 care until it was sorted out.
    3. Loss adjusters are nit picking everything, expenses etc. I have never been given a clear indication (despite asking) what I'm entitled to. What should I do?
    4. Can I claim for all bills that I'm having to pay whilst I'm not living at property. Currently in a hotel but hoping to be rehoused (at TW's expense) soon.
    Has anyone else been in this situation?

    I've looked into what I can get via compensation as this is really taking its toll on me & wearing me down. I'm not hopeful that it's going to be any more than £1,000. Any know?

    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 18th Jan 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th Jan 17, 2:21 PM
    • #2
    • 18th Jan 17, 2:21 PM
    If you go through your own insurers, they would (should) fight the case on your behalf and it will end up costing TW substantially more. Do you have legal cover built in to your insurance policy ?

    In your position, I would expect and demand that TW put you in the same position as you were prior to the flooding - This includes covering all your expenses and ensuring all possessions are replaced on a like for like basis. Compensation for inconvenience would then be on top.

    Without the backing of your own insurers (with or without the legal cover), you may have to initiate court proceedings on your own if TW won't play ball. May be some press coverage would help to focus their attention...
    Her courage will change the world.

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • jeffin
    • By jeffin 19th Jan 17, 4:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 19th Jan 17, 4:12 PM
    • #3
    • 19th Jan 17, 4:12 PM
    Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

    Unfortunately I don't have this type of cover on my house insurance. I do get a new for old thankfully.

    If TW continue meeting me around I will look to go to the papers.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 19th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    • #4
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • #4
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    Google Law Express. They do legal advice over the phone, and their costs are something like £30 to £35 per call.

    If you use them, make sure you write a list of all the points you want to cover so get the all in the same call, as you pay each time you ring.

    Alternatively, you could contact the solicitor you used to buy the lease if it was not too long ago. They may be willing to give you a quick five minutes of advice on the phone and point you in the right direction.
    • jeffin
    • By jeffin 19th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #5
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • #5
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    Thank you so much. I'll give them a call as sadly it's STILL not resolved all these months later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,046Posts Today

6,729Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

  • Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

  • RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ????

  • Follow Martin