Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maily
    • By maily 18th Jan 17, 12:24 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 21Thanks
    maily
    Gladstones - Court Case - Need some Advice
    • 18th Jan 17, 12:24 PM
    Gladstones - Court Case - Need some Advice 18th Jan 17 at 12:24 PM
    Good Afternoon,

I hope you are all well and my apologies i wasn't keen on starting my own thread but feel it might be best to i have been trying to read through all the information here and put together a defense of my own but feel a bit lost so figured perhaps it is time at last to post my own thread and seek advice from some of you more knowledgeable and helpful folk.

I have been a lurker here for many years and do appreciate all the advice and people on this wonderful site.

I have been doing a lot of reading on here regarding parking fines and LBCC and Gladstones solicitors. I have read several of your letters/responses as well as some from Coupon mad. I am now more confused and lost than ever i am not a lawyer so am not to sharp on some of the Legal terms.

To cut a long story short my wife borrowed my mothers car in August 2016 and used to visit a shopping centre (Privately owned). She paid for 2 hours Parking, and was 2-3 minutes late getting back to the car due to the little one needing a change of nappy but by the time she got back to the car there was already a ticket on there stating she was 10 minutes late and no parking warden to be seen.

We decided to just ignore the ticket from Euro Parking Services and letters that followed.However eventually we received a "letter before claim" from Gladstones threatening to take us to court. We did respond in the time allocated and basically tried to come to a settlement i believe using one of your templates i saw on the site. I offered them a sum of £15 as the car park costs £0.80 per hour and as she was an alleged 10 minutes over i thought £15 was more than fair to cover their losses however it was rejected straight away.

Gladstones they kept persisting eventually we gave up as i thought if this does go to court my mother won't do to well there and it's better to name the actual driver my Wife who might fair better in court. It went quiet for a few months and now they have sent my wife a dodgy letter before claim and demanding £150!!!

The letter before claim doesn't follow the practice direction as far as i am aware it just demands money as it doesn't give us any further details.

I was hoping you would be kind enough to offer some time/advice if you have the time to do so. We would both appreciate it eternally.

I will take a picture of the letter they have sent us if that will help and upload it later?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to your advice i think in hindsight perhaps i should have started this thread sooner rather than try to cope with this on my own it's rather stressful!!!
    Last edited by maily; 04-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Page 4
    • Ricky R2D2
    • By Ricky R2D2 8th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ricky R2D2
    Hi UKOMAAS

Please can you point me in the right direction for the newbies. I have received a letter from Gladstones and they have threatened court action . I have made no contact with them whatsoever.

Please advise.

Many Thanks
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 8th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Lamilad
    Hi UKOMAAS

Please can you point me in the right direction for the newbies. I have received a letter from Gladstones and they have threatened court action . I have made no contact with them whatsoever.

Please advise.

Many Thanks
    Originally posted by Ricky R2D2
    No, that thread was staring you in the face before you clicked on this one... Which btw is someone else's thread about their own issue.

Read the newbies thread then if you still have questions start your own thread.
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 9th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 2,871 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    When the case was transferred to you local court (after you filed your DQ) you would have received a two-page order which set the date for the final hearing and which contained a timetable.
    It will have been headed "Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing).

It will contain the court heading then numbered paragraphs which say that it's been allocated to the small claims track and that a hearing has been set for x date at x time

Then it will say that the C must pay a hearing fee by x date.

Then it will say that by xpm on x date each party must send to the court and each other copies of all documents they wish to rely on including the written statements of themselves and any third parties. It will say what form witness statements must take.

This will be followed by wording about mediation and settlement and there may be an order that the Claimant has to make a trial bundle and what it must contain.

Get your order out and have a look. What date did it tell you to file and serve your documents and WS by?
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 9th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 2,871 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    Write to Gladstones and tell them they need to file a new WS removing reference to the WITHOUT PREJUDICE offer of settlement, which was clearly marked as such.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 9th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    Johnersh
    Write to Gladstones and tell them they need to file a new WS removing reference to the WITHOUT PREJUDICE offer of settlement, which was clearly marked as such.
    +1. That's outrageous by Gladstones.

The court may at the end of the case determine that it was not realistic, but it is absolutely inappropriate that such correspondence is referred to the judge prior to resolution of the primary issue.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 18th Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    I have received a letter today stating that there has now been evidence that Gladstones have paid the court fee and they have re-instated the trial date of the 17th?
    How did it go?
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

251Posts Today

1,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin