Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amccormack
    • By Amccormack 16th Jan 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Amccormack
    kinnoull street parking perth Scotland
    • 16th Jan 17, 8:15 PM
    kinnoull street parking perth Scotland 16th Jan 17 at 8:15 PM
    Hi, Iím a total noob so any advice will be welcomed.

Iíve read a lot about the smart parking in Perth being a rather bad one when it comes to getting fines, I was in the city centre on the 2nd of November 2016 to see Ross noble, i spent 4hrs in the place and paid for 4 hours and left the car park.

The first of me knowing anything was wrong was when I got a letter from debt recovery plus stating I had to pay a fine of £160 pound. WTF? The letter says I had overstayed the allowed time. Luckily I kept the ticket as proof of payment to the machine. I genuinely never received a letter from the smart parking company to say that I had overstayed and like I said the first of me knowing was the letter asking to pay the fine.

I went to the smart parking website and launched an appeal, (after some reading I know now I shouldnít have) with my proof of payment and the debt letter I received. I got an email back today saying:
    Thank you for your recent communication.
    As per the British Parking Association code of practice (paragraph 22.7), all appeals must be submitted to us within 28 days of the Notice to Keeper being issued. Due to the length of time your PCN has been open, we have now referred this to a debt recovery (Debt Recovery Plus) who are handling the matter on our behalf. Please contact them directly if you wish to discuss this further.
    Debt Recovery Plus: 0208 234 6775 or 0141 301 2355.

As I never received any communication in the post from smart parking how could I have launched my appeal within the 28 days?

I would ideally like to get this cancelled from smart parking but at a push can I just ignore the letter coming through the post for the debt?

I know Iím in the right as I paid my parking and never received any communication till I got the debt letter.

thanks for any help that can be given.
Page 1
    • AltheHibby
    • By AltheHibby 16th Jan 17, 8:18 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    AltheHibby
    • 16th Jan 17, 8:18 PM
    • 16th Jan 17, 8:18 PM
    Too late to totally ignore, but start doing so now. I trust you didn't say you were the driver?
    • Amccormack
    • By Amccormack 16th Jan 17, 8:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Amccormack
    • 16th Jan 17, 8:41 PM
    • 16th Jan 17, 8:41 PM
    I never said in my appeal I was the driver of the vehicle but said I was told by the car park management I could pay for the parking on the return as I had no spare change and no other facilities were in place to pay.
    • AltheHibby
    • By AltheHibby 16th Jan 17, 9:09 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    AltheHibby
    • 16th Jan 17, 9:09 PM
    • 16th Jan 17, 9:09 PM
    As you haven't identified the driver it's difficult for Smart to go anywhere with it. That's good.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jan 17, 9:18 PM
    • 51,582 Posts
    • 65,198 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Jan 17, 9:18 PM
    !
    • 16th Jan 17, 9:18 PM
    I never said in my appeal I was the driver of the vehicle but said I was told by the car park management I could pay for the parking on the return as I had no spare change and no other facilities were in place to pay.
    Originally posted by Amccormack
    OK, that will have caused the ridiculous PCN but it was never received, so you must now ignore debt collector letters. This missing post issue happens a LOT with Smart Parking...wonder why...? Odd, fancy a private parking firm having post issues and going straight to debt collector letters!

I would ideally like to get this cancelled from smart parking but at a push can I just ignore the letter coming through the post for the debt?
    You could get it cancelled by complaining to the landowner - you have the ticket to prove payment and have been denied appeal so complain to the venue - and whoever this 'car park management' was - not Smart Parking by any chance?

Read this and relax - come back if they try a small claim which is unheard of for them (but can never be assumed it is over until 6 years is up) Even better, a small claim in Scotland would have no 'keeper liability' to rely on because you don't have that. Hence, do not imply who was driving.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

DO NOT PAY.

DO NOT PAY SMART PARKING AND CERTAINLY DO NOT PAY OR PHONE UP NOR REPLY TO DEBT RECOVERY PLUS.

HTH
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-01-2017 at 9:33 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Jan 17, 9:31 PM
    • 15,572 Posts
    • 24,316 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 16th Jan 17, 9:31 PM
    • 16th Jan 17, 9:31 PM
    Isn't there a MSP who's on Smart's case over this car park? Here's the record of a debate in the Scottish Parliament about parking.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/sp/?id=2015-09-22.7.0

Just found the name of the MSP - Murdo Fraser. Drop him a big complaint about you being hassled.

https://www.perthshireconservatives.org.uk/news/msp-stung-faulty-parking-meters-calls-their-scrapping
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Amccormack
    • By Amccormack 16th Jan 17, 10:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Amccormack
    • 16th Jan 17, 10:00 PM
    • 16th Jan 17, 10:00 PM
    I kinda knew something like this would happen so I kept the ticket and the car park owners are the smart parking bunch,

im just just a bit miffed that they can get away with trying the bully tactic of a debt recovery company instead of sending me a letter to appeal.

ill give the link a read and thanks for you help
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jan 17, 10:02 PM
    • 51,582 Posts
    • 65,198 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Jan 17, 10:02 PM
    • 16th Jan 17, 10:02 PM
    Tell your MP, complain to retailers, all of them. Make a fuss but do not pay, DO NOT say who was driving, even in a complaint. Just say 'we'.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• hoohoo
    • By hoohoo 17th Jan 17, 5:23 AM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 3,108 Thanks
    hoohoo
    • 17th Jan 17, 5:23 AM
    • 17th Jan 17, 5:23 AM
    Does your registration have a 0 by any chance?

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/lowther-street-carlisle-car-park-smart.html
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
    • Amccormack
    • By Amccormack 13th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Amccormack
    hi, got another letter from now a different debt recovery agency, I phoned up the smart parking bunch (hopefully not shot myself in the foot) to ask for some more info on my case stating I hadn't received any correspondence from them before the 28 days period and stating my time was paid. I guess my calculations were off as I should have paid for 6 hours instead of 4. now I know im in the wrong but 160 quid seems very steep for 2 hours worth of parking. is it best to the hit and grumble or just get ignoring the letter and hope for the best?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 15,572 Posts
    • 24,316 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    hi, got another letter from now a different debt recovery agency,
    Zenith, no doubt. Check bottom right corner of letter (pale grey text) to tell you exactly who they are.

I phoned up the smart parking bunch (hopefully not shot myself in the foot) to ask for some more info on my case
    Which part of 'completely ignore, do not phone a PPC or a debt collector' are you having trouble with?

The more you pick at this sore, the more septic it will become. Leave it alone!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 13th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    r2015
    Which part of 'completely ignore, do not phone a PPC or a debt collector' are you having trouble with?
    I agree. Ignore

I live in that city and have been getting letters from various debt collectors for parking in a free car park and failing to display a ticket.

I have been ignoring them for years, never wrote or called or acknowledged them.
    They can't do anything.

IGNORE do not call again
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6,353 Posts
    • 8,164 Thanks
    beamerguy
    hi, got another letter from now a different debt recovery agency, I phoned up the smart parking bunch (hopefully not shot myself in the foot) to ask for some more info on my case stating I hadn't received any correspondence from them before the 28 days period and stating my time was paid. I guess my calculations were off as I should have paid for 6 hours instead of 4. now I know im in the wrong but 160 quid seems very steep for 2 hours worth of parking. is it best to the hit and grumble or just get ignoring the letter and hope for the best?
    Originally posted by Amccormack
    Do as coupon mad says, it is after all Scotland and unless the cowboys know who the driver is, tough on Smart

And yes you should make a big wave with the land owner and all the retailers asking "do you know that scammers operate in your car park"

As Umkomaas says, make contact with Murdo Fraser

Also Trading Standards Scotland about the tactIcs of DRP

Your local newspaper to warn motorists about this wild bunch
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,986Posts Today

7,532Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin