Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 15th Jan 17, 1:26 PM
    • 404Posts
    • 1,719Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Boxofpaws is keeping it simple
    • 15th Jan 17, 1:26 PM
    Boxofpaws is keeping it simple 15th Jan 17 at 1:26 PM
    Hello lovely MSE-ers!,

I have been a user of this site for many years but created a new username on 3rd Jan because I had doubled the debt and I was so embarrassed!

So here I am, £40k+ in debt. The reasons (excuses) are many and varied, so I won't dwell on the past. However, our current situation is good, good income, happy marriage, nice home and we can really make good in-roads to this accumulated debt.

In the past, we have failed at debt busting, and I think it was down to the plan being too punishing and too complicated. This time, I will set us achievable targets and make it easy to hit them.

Thanks to anyone who has read so far, I will report back later with my plan.

Boxofpaws x
Page 17
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Apr 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Croatia sounds like a treat! You'll need to let us know how it is for a holiday

We all have our off weeks/ months but the important thing is bringing it back around and being able to start over. Looking forward to seeing your new number!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 13th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,344 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Ooh lovely news about your holiday. I really want to go to Croatia, maybe next year!
    We are off to Morocco for a week in June, got a bit of a bargain on the trip which works out at £280 each for flights and half board at a lovely hotel. I know that holidays are not very MSE but I get so stressed at work that I get to the point where I feel like I need a break for the sake of my sanity. I'd rather take a little bit longer to pay off my debt than forgo holidays altogether, although since I started my diary I have been a lot more cost conscious and much more keen to sniff out the bargains!
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's July 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,362.14 / MBNA £3318.34 / Barclaycard £6360.70 / Lloyds £3560 / Tesco £972.50/ Dreams £259

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Apr 17, 11:43 AM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,449 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yay for holiday bookings! My inlaws have been to Croatia several times and absolutely love it!

Absolutely agree with holidays being worth budgeting for as well - we always set aside an amount to ensure that we could get a holiday in during the year and I'm convinced it actually helped, rather than hindered, our finances as it was something to focus on and we came back refreshed and ready to do battle with the numbers all over again.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 20th May 17, 5:27 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Paws hope all ok with you ! Miss your posts
    Oct 2017 CC1 £3439CC 2 £927

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 15th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Dear diary and lovely readers,

I am unable to post properly at the moment. Still debt busting, current total £33500. Be back in a few months. In the meantime, hope everyone is well.

Peace
    Paws x
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Glad to see you are still debt busting. Look forward to you posting in the future . Take care .

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 22nd Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    I think I am back. I am so sorry for going AWOL, I couldn't bring myself to post.

In late April we got some bad news at work and my husband's job was in consultation. 1 in 5 people being made redundant. For some reason I can't explain, I just couldn't post about it.

I didn't want my posts to be doom and gloom which is depressing the write about (although I know you would have all been lovely)
    I tried to block out that it was happening.
    I somehow didnt want to jinx him into redundancy.

Anyway, last night we got the news that there will be no compulsary redundancies (no more details but I guess they have enough volunteers) and even looks like perhaps there will be fewer redundancies overall. His hours might change and his money might be cut, and while this was something i was worried about at the start of the year, faced with the alternative, I am now ok about the reduced wages. We can cope with that.

On the plus side, through these last few weeks, we have cut down even more, and the debt busting is going well. I will post more about that later.

Its a sombre post, less cheery than normal but I am in a reflective mood.

It feels good to be back.
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 22nd Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    It happened where I work as well about 18 months ago. It's horrible not knowing if it's going to you that they chop whilst trying to carry on. Anyway there were that many volunteers for redundancy that they got all they needed to fit in the 5 year plan.

Glad other half kept his job , I am sure you will balance your budget on a new salary. I suppose it's all wait and see.

Keep clam and carry on .

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 22nd Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Good things since I last posted (sorry its long)
    • Have been really MSE in the last couple of months, tying to protect ourselves from changes to husband’s job.
    • Went on holiday and although we blew the budget, we spent about £1300 in total for the week which I was happy about
    • Have now applied for a credit transfer MBNA to Tesco card
    • Credit score has improved a bit more, in fact, the last time I went on the MSE credit club website there were a lot more CC deal matches than there were in January.
    • So have now got a Tesco CC with £7k limit to transfer the MBNA to.
    • Have cancelled the window cleaner, the lawn man, and Apple Music.
    • Friend added me to his family premier spotify for free. Not as good as Apple but, well, its free
    • Haven’t had a takeaway in yonks.
      Haven’t spent money on plants and other garden stuff - normally a weakness of mine.
    • My Dad uses our netflix account so kindly gave me £40 towards it (he knew I was worried about redundancy etc).
    • Car insurances have now been paid for upfront to save on interest. This has never happened.
    • I am really good at doing my expenses straightaway these days so I am never out of pocket.
    • My job is still full-on but my new(ish) boss is ace and i am enjoying it more, and I think I am doing ok at it.
    • The fun things I get to do through work really make it worthwhile. In May i went to Vienna. Last week, I went to Wimbledon, corporate entertainment which pretty much blew my mind. I kep whispering "when are they going to notice I'm not posh enough?".
    • Have made a bit of profit this month in expenses.
    • Husband has got 4 overtime shifts this month. Thats about £500. Overtime was banned for a while so this is doubly excellent.
    • Moving to Scottish Power seems to have slashed our energy bills. They want to put it down to £76 per month. We were paying £113 with Npower! I have kept it at £87 though so we can have the heating on more in winter.
    • Got a massive £2.30 in share dividends.
    • Finally arranged for the £13.55 balance from closed Halifax account CC to be transferred so it will disappear from online banking eventually.
    • Sky extended our half price deal WITHOUT US EVEN ASKING. Maybe they are so used to us doing the ‘we’ll cancel’ dance we do every year and thought this would save them having to talk to us.
    • All the step children seem to be doing well. All working and happy. The one who is living abroad is coming home to stay in December.
    • Husband has inherited a classic bike.
    • The 'simple' payment plan is working! We are paying £900 per month towards the credit card plus loan payment of £493 and we are surviving. In fact, not really noticing. That might be because we have adjusted and got used to the cutback, I'm not sure yet.
    • I’m sure there are more but I can’t think of them right now, will add them as I go along
    Bad Things
    • MBNA deal came to an end and paid 2 months interest on it. Around £250. Stupid woman.
    • Have forked out ona new tyre due to puncture in last few weeks. (although the cars are doing well apart from that)
    • The last few weeks have been stressful
    To do
    Take £2.30 cheque to bank along with old £5 found in drawers.

Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 22nd Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    It happened where I work as well about 18 months ago. It's horrible not knowing if it's going to you that they chop whilst trying to carry on. Anyway there were that many volunteers for redundancy that they got all they needed to fit in the 5 year plan.

Glad other half kept his job , I am sure you will balance your budget on a new salary. I suppose it's all wait and see.

Keep clam and carry on .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass

Cumbria Lass,

Thank you so much for psoting and for posting when I was quiet. You're one of the reasons I came back, so kind and thoughtful.

Paws
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 22nd Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 18,514 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi paws, good to "see" you back & posting again.

Sorry to hear about your husband's job, it's so scary and so many companies seem to be doing something similar. My department at work is currently going through a consultation as the company want to cut people & replace them with computers/technology. Never mind the years of experience they want to discard that a computer can never replace. I have no idea what I'll be going back to next year as my job is one of the ones they want to scrap.

You sound like you're doing really well on the money & debt repayment front.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £8770 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £45,641.11
    Loans 1 & 2 £3962.81, CC 0% BT £475, Car loans £24,485.65
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 22nd Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,083 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Lovely to see you back boxofpaws. Sorry to hear about your husband D's job worries. I hope things settle soon. X
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • Mummy_bear
    • By Mummy_bear 22nd Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    Mummy_bear
    Hi Paws, thanks for popping over to my diary.

Already an avid subscriber. Welcome back x
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £37139.86
    £5527.67/£37139.86 14.88% paid
    Estimated DFD JUNE 2020 (calculated July 2017)
    Debt Free by Christmas Challenge
    Total cleared £3150.63/£9091.72 34.65% paid
    • motivated
    • By motivated 22nd Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 3,179 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi BOP and welcome back.
    I know too well about leaving your diary for a while, I too have had lapses in mine. Life just gets in the way doesn't it. Keep going and try to keep posting I find that it does actually help.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
    Short term goal £635/£1796
    EF/1k
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 23rd Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    When will OH know what his role will be and his salary ?

Then you can get the budget sorted again.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 24th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    JoJoC
    So sorry to hear of your woes with your husband's job but you seem to be in a reasonable place with it now and you sound like you have a good attitude towards preparing for what lies ahead!

I also fell victim to my CC 0% product coming to an end and not getting round to replacing it...oops! We only paid about £60 in interest but it's £60 I'd rather have in my own pocket/ off the balance. Never mind, it's all a learning curve, isn't it?

I've been made redundant twice in the last 10 years (both times company closed down) so I know the worry but back then I only had a flat to worry about - now I have two properties, two kids and debt so it would hit me much harder if it happened now!

Fingers crossed that everything is plain sailing going forward and your husband's salary doesn't take too much of a hit.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 24th Jul 17, 2:57 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,449 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yay Paws you're back! Glad to hear about OH's job - sometimes the fear of what might happen can be a very powerful tool on the MSE front - I had my income slashed by 2/3rds pretty much overnight and completely unexpectedly a few years back - it made us work out what our "bottom line" expenditure was and start working to it - which in turn meant we were able to continue OP'ing the mortgage.

Well done for finding a fiver in your drawers too ...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • db2016
    • By db2016 25th Jul 17, 1:21 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    db2016
    i've just read all of your diary, as i seem to have found a couple whilst seeking some other advice and have been hooked.

well done on getting a good chunk off! its always intersting to see peoples before and current totals in signatures or theres percentages of such. from what i read, your a solid 25% off!
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 25th Jul 17, 5:19 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Lovely to see you BOP, and it sounds like you've made really positive steps in the face of the uncertainty with your DH's job. I hope you get the full facts soon and are able to work with your new budget.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 25th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Hi paws, good to "see" you back & posting again.

Sorry to hear about your husband's job, it's so scary and so many companies seem to be doing something similar. My department at work is currently going through a consultation as the company want to cut people & replace them with computers/technology. Never mind the years of experience they want to discard that a computer can never replace. I have no idea what I'll be going back to next year as my job is one of the ones they want to scrap.

You sound like you're doing really well on the money & debt repayment front.
    Originally posted by sashybo
    That's stressful for you. I know you are protected on mat leave but you don't need the uncertainty of not knowing what you'll walk back into. Mind, I suppose the big hungry baby will keep your mind off it

Lovely to see you back boxofpaws. Sorry to hear about your husband D's job worries. I hope things settle soon. X
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Hello Parsniphead, thank you. I'll be over to yours shortly

Hi Paws, thanks for popping over to my diary.

Already an avid subscriber. Welcome back x
    Originally posted by Mummy_bear
    Thank you, sounds like we both have husbands who are difficult to tame
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,009Posts Today

6,436Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin