Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ollie_D
    • By Ollie_D 14th Jan 17, 7:27 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Ollie_D
    New Build - Fibre, District Heating & Part-Exchange
    • 14th Jan 17, 7:27 PM
    New Build - Fibre, District Heating & Part-Exchange 14th Jan 17 at 7:27 PM
    Hi (again),

I look again for your experiences and advice.

We have been to look at a development today and the house is lovely, there's just a few nagging details (nothing is ever easy)

Firstly, I think this is a plus point, it's connected using Independent Fibre Networks, so no BT or Virgin but fibre to the house. Does anyone has experience of this? I think we can also use this to connect TV aerials and Sky.

Secondly, it doesn't have a boiler is has a Heat Interface Unit (HIU) and it's through E-On Heat. Again does anyone has any experience. Is it likely to be more expensive, do they provide the water as part of this and you only pay sewerage to the water company? Apologies for the silly questions, I couldn't find much info online about it.

And finally, the development is with Barratt Homes and they offer part exchange, where they offer an amount for you property with no commitment and it's all nice and easy, no worrying about a chain, selling, estate agents etc. Assuming the value is reasonable this sounds too easy. Anyone got any stories to share?

Thanks, as always all.
Page 1
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 14th Jan 17, 8:52 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 14th Jan 17, 8:52 PM
    • 14th Jan 17, 8:52 PM
    To deal with your last point, part exchanging can be good, DD did it, you get slightly less than market value but no agents fees. Do your research and set a realistic bottom line.
    The HIU unit hopefully is one of the new systems which seem OK. Important to find out if it is a direct or indirect system, indirect seems better but first ask for more information and Google your system for reviews.
    Finally as it is a new build make sure the house you are buying has all the things you think the sales person says without extra charges.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 14th Jan 17, 9:18 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 14th Jan 17, 9:18 PM
    You will be limited to who you can get services from with the Independent Fibre Networks, probably end up paying more than if you were with BT or a.n.other.

District heating and HIUs can work well, but again you need to understand that you won't be able to shop around for the best deal, you're stuck with EON. You need to get details of their admin fees and energy costs, as quite often the admin fees are a lot higher than the actual energy costs would have been for a more traditional boiler system. EON will also be building up reserves for replacing the central plant, repairing/replacing HIUs etc, so typically a lot higher running costs for the occupants. Check whether you're contracted to EON for just heat or for electricity as well, as some developments now have private wire networks as well.

The HIU will provide you with space heating, and will also heat the hot water - you'll still have a mains cold water supply to the house so you'll be paying for this + sewerage separately to the water company.
    • swishy87
    • By swishy87 14th Jan 17, 9:18 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    swishy87
    We've just part exchanged with David Wilson and once the price was agreed it all went very smoothly - no worry about the chain collapsing etc.
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 14th Jan 17, 11:05 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Jon B
    • 14th Jan 17, 11:05 PM
    • 14th Jan 17, 11:05 PM
    We have broadband supplied through Independent Fibre Network by SeeTheLight. £27/month for unlimited 60meg down and 12meg up + evening and weekend calls. No problems at all.
    • Ollie_D
    • By Ollie_D 14th Jan 17, 11:57 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Ollie_D
    • 14th Jan 17, 11:57 PM
    • 14th Jan 17, 11:57 PM
    The HIU unit hopefully is one of the new systems which seem OK. Important to find out if it is a direct or indirect system, indirect seems better but first ask for more information and Google your system for reviews.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    Thanks, we will be going back and getting as much spec as we can.

We have broadband supplied through Independent Fibre Network by SeeTheLight. £27/month for unlimited 60meg down and 12meg up + evening and weekend calls. No problems at all.
    Originally posted by Jon B
    Do you happen to have Fibre Integrated Reception Service too?
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 15th Jan 17, 8:13 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Jon B
    • 15th Jan 17, 8:13 AM
    • 15th Jan 17, 8:13 AM
    Not sure if I'm honest.
    • Ollie_D
    • By Ollie_D 18th Jan 17, 8:50 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Ollie_D
    • 18th Jan 17, 8:50 PM
    • 18th Jan 17, 8:50 PM
    Sorry to ask more questions, does your fibre enter your property in a box similar to and does it then connect to a router, if so what type of connection is it?
    Thanks
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 18th Jan 17, 9:29 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Jon B
    • 18th Jan 17, 9:29 PM
    • 18th Jan 17, 9:29 PM
    Yes we have a box like that under the stairs and it connects to the router with an Ethernet cable. I have managed to squeeze the router into the box also to keep everything tidy.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Jan 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    lee111s
    INFL are notorious for having capacity issues. You're also limited to only a couple of ISP's, so they have you by the balls.
    • Ollie_D
    • By Ollie_D 18th Jan 17, 9:32 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Ollie_D
    Yes we have a box like that under the stairs and it connects to the router with an Ethernet cable. I have managed to squeeze the router into the box also to keep everything tidy.
    That's useful to know thank. Good idea with the router.

Does the fibre enter the property anywhere else in the home? Do you have a regular TV aerial/Sat dish?
    • Ollie_D
    • By Ollie_D 18th Jan 17, 9:35 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Ollie_D
    INFL are notorious for having capacity issues. You're also limited to only a couple of ISP's, so they have you by the balls.
    Originally posted by lee111s
    Does this result in the advertised speeds not being achieved?

I'm aware of the limited competition, hopefully one of the bigger players will see the sense and join the network too.
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 18th Jan 17, 9:40 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Jon B

I'm aware of the limited competition, hopefully one of the bigger players will see the sense and join the network too.
    Originally posted by Ollie_D
    DONT be under any illusion that BT or VM will be laying cable into the developer any time soon. Quite often IFNL sign an agreement with the developer which prohibits anybody else digging up the roads for broadband purposes.

Even when the agreement runs out it is unlikely BT or VM would have the appetite to compete with a FTTH service.

No capacity issues on our development. The routers are rubbish, so I generally only get 40meg on wifi, yet get 60meg through cable. They definitely don't throttle either which is good.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Jan 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    lee111s

Yeah it can result in lower than advertised throughout speeds.
    • Ollie_D
    • By Ollie_D 18th Jan 17, 10:16 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Ollie_D
    I agree, Bt or Virginia won't play, I would think Sky would be tempted, especially if they can sell there TV down the same fibre.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Jan 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    lee111s
    I agree, Bt or Virginia won't play, I would think Sky would be tempted, especially if they can sell there TV down the same fibre.

Those greedy swines won't put their hand in their pockets and run their own network. They pulled out of the York saga when the realise just how expensive it is. Yet they still whinge Openreach don't do it cheap enough, nor quick enough. Cowboys.
    • DistrictHeatcostsmore
    • By DistrictHeatcostsmore 17th Mar 17, 11:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DistrictHeatcostsmore
    Just wondering if you moved into your new home and how are you finding the cost of heating the home?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 18th Mar 17, 7:26 AM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    buglawton
    Lots of newspaper articles around where a fast broadband connection is talked up by new development salespeople and there may even be an impressive looking connection box in the house. But on moving in, you find its not connected and years of waiting is ahead. Something needs to be in the purchase spec and contract to guarantee a fast connection.

Beware also of clauses in the lease (why do houses even need a lease) with trick clauses about ground rent doubling every 10 years and where you need permission from the lease owner in order to sell. But that's another story.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,396Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin