Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,773Posts
    • 17,900Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 276
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 12,977 Thanks
    karcher
    I freeze almost everything but haven't done baked beans as I eat the tin in two sittings anyway.

I do freeze milk, butter, cheese, sandwiches and keep bread frozen and just defrost however much i need each time. I will freeze anything really. I know not all CFO'ers have the luxury of a chest freezer but mine helps me eat well and with little or no food waste
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Chest freezer envy here...

I only have a small 2 shelf freezer, so by the time I've put in my loaf of bread (to defrost slices as required), bags of veg, a pizza, ice cube trays and a couple of HM ready meals, it's full.

I don't have the space for another freezer so make do...hence why I eat all my beans and not freeze them
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 16th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,273 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    My chest freezer is about 25 years old and has definitely seen better days on the outside but works beautifully. My Mum gave it to me when I had my 3 children and then my daughters boyfriend come to live with us when he was 16 and had been kicked out by his parents. Long story but he was going to go to a hostel and my husband and I didn't want our daughter going with him which she probably would have done! Anyway the point of this ramble was that I had 4 teenagers with hollow legs and two adults to feed on a very tight budget and the freezer allowed me to take advantage of bulk offers and batch cook which I still do today.

Bread is brilliant defrosted by the slice isn't it? Lovely and fresh every time
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 60,974 Posts
    • 356,142 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I was absent because I got caught up in reading old newspapers online ... and, as it was dry, I had several pressing jobs that needed to be done badly and slowly outside. I do hate outdoor jobs.

Did a bit of painting, bit of bush branch tidying (they'd been there 3 weeks since I snipped them), bit of grass cutting.

Breakfast was beans and cocktail sausages on toast.

Lunch was the 2nd portion of the chicken curry/rice I made yesterday.
    Then a choc ice.

I just scoffed 2 scones with jam 10 minutes ago. The last of a pack of 6 that were probably BBE today but I'd removed the packaging and put them into an airtight takeaway box so couldn't be sure... so thought it was best to eat them.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 9,778 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Thank you for all of your freezer comments. It sounds like you all freeze just about anything .

SunnyGirl I do freeze milk, bread and cheese, and agree with you that the bread comes out lovely and fresh. when I am getting near the end of a loaf I keep a lookout when I'm in the shop for the new stock to go out, so I get it really fresh and freeze a loaf a while before the one I'm using runs out. I have found that it isn't as good if you freeze it near its bbe date.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 17th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,273 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Morning all.

Holly I love doing that with bread too!

Back at work this morning so not much to report really. No breakfast, lunch is a sandwich and a yoghurt and dinner this evening is a Co-op roast vegetable and feta pizza that I couldn't eat when my tooth was removed so froze instead

Lovely looking weather out there typically!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 60,974 Posts
    • 356,142 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I find, with super cheap bread, it's best frozen the day you buy it, rather than waiting until the last day and freezing it because you've not eaten it all.

While "better bread" might not be so picky, cheap bread is definitely improved by earliest freezing in my experience.

If you freeze cheap bread at the last minute, when it's defrosted and toasted it can be so hard you wish you'd not bothered Definitely needs beans at this stage rather than just eating toast with marg.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 17,900 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Another beautiful sunny day here so hopefully a bit more gardening done later on, apart from that I've no plans but just want to enjoy the good weather.

Breakfast was the usual and lunch toasted LO crusty bread with tuna, gherkins and beetroot. I'm not sure about tonight yet, I've a single portion quiche in the fridge so might have that with roasted veggies.
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 9,778 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I find, with super cheap bread, it's best frozen the day you buy it, rather than waiting until the last day and freezing it because you've not eaten it all.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Yes I agree, I've found that all bread is best frozen on the day that I buy it even the more expensive brands. I always freeze it the same day and take out just what I need to use because it defrost so quickly.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 60,974 Posts
    • 356,142 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    SCORCHIO here.

Skipped breakfast, for lunch I had some sausages and beans on toast as I'd defrosted some bread.

Still got one portion of chicken curry I made 2 days ago, so that'll be tea. One defrosted slice of bread will be spread with chocolate spread at some point.

Still two tomatoes mocking me that I bought two weeks ago and haven't got round to eating. In the cupboard, potatoes lurk.
    That really sounds like a recipe for bombay spuds, but I don't fancy bombay spuds
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 9,778 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone.

I've been eating my usual this morning for breakfast, some Greek yoghurt and berries.

Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich, which I took to the park and sat there with my book/people watching, I do find that interesting

Dinner is going to be some battered cod, oven chips and mushy peas. Apart from fancying this, I want something easy with little washing up and this fits the bill nicely

Pudding later will either be a slice of cake or a crumpet, but I already had one crumpet mid morning so I will see how I feel later.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 7,734 Thanks
    Farway
    Give me a dog that eats anything including food with tablets hidden in it any day!
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Our dog was not picky, ate anything including horse poo, but could detect a tablet in food and used to spit them out after the food duly chewed and swallowed. Had to resort to crushing the tablet and mixing it in

Lovely day out there, garden watered already so that job done

I was not sure about today's food, nil breakfast and off to Morries looking, and failing, for an idea or YS. No luck but di find the Mackays ginger preserve is back on the shelves, bought two just in case

Lunch was cheese & onion salady sarnie, just fancied the onion it it when I saw it mentioned on here the other day

Dinner is runner bean based, they are really cropping heavily now, and as they are own grown I can be very picky about what I cook, any even slightly tougher ones go direct to bin

Had a online search and tonight's dinner is Fasolakia, with crusty bread

Thought I would use the Greek name just 'cos I found it on line. As a pleb I would call it Greek runner beans, basically runners, toms, onion, but I leave out the ugh garlic, I may bung some fresh herbs from the garden in
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 38,532 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Lunch today was a new-to-me snack bar from Ald* of quinoa/seeds/dates/etc (errr...yep....quite nice - but a tad too sweet for me personally again). Think I've got savoury tastebuds - same as PN has got 1960s taste buds. Followed by coconut yogurt and dairy yogurt with plums (that glut still), blackberries and chia seeds. Gap in stomach still = 2 slices of toast to finish.

Dinner - I've just tried out a recipe for cashew nut "cheese" - other ingredients being things like lemon juice, nooch (nutritional yeast) and garlic powder. Put it to set (hopefully) in fridge. Taster of it was "nice - nom nom". Looks a repeat recipe then. Thinking I'll use it as filling for some large flat mushrooms baked and have sweet potato wedges/tomatoes/spinach with it. Followed by yet more fruit of some description if I'm still hungry. Should be nice.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 9,778 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Hi Everyone

In view of this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680765

Do you think it would be a good idea to start a new thread, so that this one doesn't go the same way as the 'weight loss' and 'what ore we having for dinner' threads?
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 17,900 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks Holly - I think that would be sensible I'll get one set up
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 17,900 Thanks
    caronc
    ***Started a new thread
    ***** In view of the issue of long threads being "randomly" auto-deleted I've started a new CFO thread. The new thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72850947#post72850947
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter