Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,226Posts
    • 15,020Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 275
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 56,075 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I have been burgled and the victim of street crime more times than I care to mention. I don't think it makes any difference where you live. I've lived in posh leafy surburbs and working class neighbourhoods, got burgled in both.

Spain was the worst........

Yes, it's nearly always about "opportunity". If the scroats think they have a chance then they will be in like a shot.

So all you can do is try and protect yourselves - especially if you live alone. Beef up security, photo all your valuables and keep all receipts for the insurance company. I now have a safe for valuables and essential paperwork such as passports etc. And I keep my doors locked.

When travelling I try not to look too much like a tourist, dress conservatively like the locals, no expensive Jewellery, no camera or standing on the street looking at maps. I wear a cross body bag with the opening facing me rather than outwards. I avoid suspicious looking alleys and short cuts, both home and abroad. I have a personal alarm.

A police officer told me you need to really watch your body language, and try not to look like a weak victim, to stride out and look strong and powerful. ..... And never to allow yourself to be jostled or get pressed in a crowd.

Sad that we have to be so careful but I'm afraid that's just the way it is.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 13,434 Posts
    • 36,609 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Unfortunately true LL imo that the body language needs watching too. I've noticed in a variety of circumstances one has to look "confident". I can pick out likely "victims" in the street myself by now and think "They are the ones at risk from these scroats".

In the home - well you never know when you might doze off or are playing the tv/radio too loud to hear someone coming in etc.

One of the harder parts of getting older imo is the list of things that "are never going to happen to me" gets steadily shorter - as you watch them having happened to either yourself or someone close to you. It's very disillusioning to steadily realise just what a risky business it is living on Planet Earth.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    Farway
    Mine too! I don't mind "samey" breakfasts/lunches but do like variety in my evening meal
    Originally posted by caronc
    Much the same here, but sometimes when a TBFO item is just hanging around then a "rinse & repeat" meal has to be eaten, but I try and leave at least a day between them, unless it was so good an encore is deserved

Growing up in the 50s I can't honestly remember having set meals on set days, maybe we did but perhaps because my mum was such a rotten cook all meal memories have been subconsciously repressed, except my Nan's stew & dumplings

Never went out today, it is dull and nothing really needed anyway, plus I had things on the computer I have been putting off too long and now really really needed doing, so I did them at last

I fancied a breakfast, but it was mid morning by then so I went without carried on until lunch, which was more of the sausages on offer, with a few spoonfuls of chutney mountain between crusty bread

I notice a few of the go to foods are cheesey, mine are the same, cheese & onion is way up there for me

My daughter's family were burgled only a few months ago, he [the cops got him] got in round the back by removing the beading from double glazed window and removing the pane. He was a double glazing fitter so knew exactly what to do. Affluent area, he did 13 houses in all, if no visible burglar alarm he rang bell, if no reply in he went round the back, in & out in a few minutes. Her doors were locked, and three dogs in the house so you never really know

My doors are always locked, even if I am in, once had the garage broken into, they stole a crate of home brewed beer, more fool them it was rank which is why it was in the garage

I did have blackberries & red currants yesterday, more where they came from for during the week, plus it was the cooked chicken option from the freezer that made yesterday's dinner

Tonight is a lazy dinner, the YS minced beef pie bought yesterday, with frozen chips and a sort of half hearted bubble & squeak using yesterday's LO cooked runners, cabbage & courgette, should be nice once they get a burnt crust, I love that bit of a fry up
    • meg72
    • By meg72 16th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 45,174 Thanks
    meg72
    Have noticed that PN hasn't posted at all today which is unusual. Hope ou`re OK PN and just out enjoying yourself.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 16th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,270 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Have noticed that PN hasn't posted at all today which is unusual. Hope ou`re OK PN and just out enjoying yourself.
    Originally posted by meg72
    I was just thinking the exact same thing! Hope you're ok PN
    • elona
    • By elona 16th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 58,791 Thanks
    elona
    I remember over thirty years ago being on holiday with DH in Amsterdam and walking down an alley with nightclubs at night. He muttered that we were likely to get mugged and I replied "No, we are not, walk confidently, not slowly or too quickly and imagine we have just seen our best friends at the end of the road so put a confident smile on your face!"

We were fine!!!

I now make sure I have the doors locked if I am going into the garden or having a shower etc. I also make sure the keys are in the lock so someone cannot get in even if they have a key.

I have been doing this for over twenty years now without any problems.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 13,434 Posts
    • 36,609 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Re locking my doors even when out in the garden - it depends what part of the garden I'm in. In one part I'll make sure the front door is always locked. In another part - I'd see someone heading towards my house quite clearly anyway before they were able to step onto my property at all. So - that bit depends....

I could whip round the outside of my house very fast and give any intruder a good dousing with my hosepipe. I've checked the range and, from anywhere in my garden, I could douse people for a bit of a distance beyond my boundaries if need be.

Anyways - and back onto food and I had one of those singles "repeats" at lunchtime. So - more noodles and stirfry. Dinner was cherries, then toast spread with tahini and sliced tomatoes, followed by glass of rice milk. I'd not actually tried tahini and tomatoes on toast before and, for a very simple dish, it's actually quite tasty (provided the tomatoes are ripe and flavoursome ones).
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Having worked in a less than salubrious part of London in the 1980s I'm confident at "looking confident" even if completely lost.....

It's been a beautiful afternoon here so I spent it mainly in the garden.

Dinner will be late as I haven't started it yet but I do prefer to eat late especially in the good weather so that's fine.
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 10,634 Thanks
    karcher
    Dinner will be late as I haven't started it yet but I do prefer to eat late especially in the good weather so that's fine.
    AH caron, so do I. It's rare to find a kindred spirit in the eating late department
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 16th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,270 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    I'm an early eater Home from work and showered, cat and dog seen to and my tea eaten. I cba doing rice so put a few oven chips in before my shower and had them when I was out with the chilli and it was gorgeous A nice change.

Have made a sandwich for tomorrow but as I'm working 8.30am to 1pm I'll either eat it at my desk or in the car on the way home. It's a funny finish time really as I live a 30 minute drive away and am always hungry at lunchtime as I don't have breakfast.

An evening of tv is on the cards although my son and his partner are popping in as they're in the area visiting friends. My son is going to hold the cat wrapped in a towel so I can squirt some medicine in her mouth. It's proved almost impossible on my own lol. Give me a dog that eats anything including food with tablets hidden in it any day!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    caronc
    AH caron, so do I. It's rare to find a kindred spirit in the eating late department
    Originally posted by karcher
    Great minds and all that... My habit stems from routinely not get backing work until after 7pm knackered and knowing if I sat down I'd never get anything done so got into the habit of eating after I had done any chores/walked pooches/watered garden etc. so I could relax and enjoy my meal. It works for me and if I was to eat earlier I reckon I would rely on constant CBA meals and end up nibbling later on
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm an early eater Home from work and showered, cat and dog seen to and my tea eaten. I cba doing rice so put a few oven chips in before my shower and had them when I was out with the chilli and it was gorgeous A nice change.

Have made a sandwich for tomorrow but as I'm working 8.30am to 1pm I'll either eat it at my desk or in the car on the way home. It's a funny finish time really as I live a 30 minute drive away and am always hungry at lunchtime as I don't have breakfast.

An evening of tv is on the cards although my son and his partner are popping in as they're in the area visiting friends. My son is going to hold the cat wrapped in a towel so I can squirt some medicine in her mouth. It's proved almost impossible on my own lol. Give me a dog that eats anything including food with tablets hidden in it any day!
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    I can imagine - Ben's sister Buffy was a real madam when it came to meds, he's eat anything her's had to be squidged in pate and even then you had to watch carefully to make sure a tablet wasn't spat out. My sister had real problems giving her cat meds until she discovered in desperation he would scoff anything if wrapped in or squirted on smoked salmon. Adsa sell trimmings at £ something a pack could be worth a try
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 10,634 Thanks
    karcher
    It works for me and if I was to eat earlier I reckon I would rely on constant CBA meals and end up nibbling later on
    That is one of the reasons I eat late. Whenever I am subjected to an early Dinner I am hungry again by 9.30pm so I just end up eating far more than I would if I ate at a more respectable (in my world) time.

Like you I prefer to have everything done and have had a shower so I can just sit, eat and enjoy. The washing up waits till tomorrow

Eating late stops me nibbling on unnecessary stuff and one thing I cannot do is go to bed hungry.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 16th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,270 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    I can imagine - Ben's sister Buffy was a real madam when it came to meds, he's eat anything her's had to be squidged in pate and even then you had to watch carefully to make sure a tablet wasn't spat out. My sister had real problems giving her cat meds until she discovered in desperation he would scoff anything if wrapped in or squirted on smoked salmon. Adsa sell trimmings at £ something a pack could be worth a try
    I'll get some tomorrow as I'm quite happy to try anything now. I tried tuna yesterday but once I'd squirted lactulose on it she wouldn't entertain it Thanks for the tip.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    caronc
    I'll get some tomorrow as I'm quite happy to try anything now. I tried tuna yesterday but once I'd squirted lactulose on it she wouldn't entertain it Thanks for the tip.
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Hope it works if not they are great with pasta or in fishcakes
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    caronc
    That is one of the reasons I eat late. Whenever I am subjected to an early Dinner I am hungry again by 9.30pm so I just end up eating far more than I would if I ate at a more respectable (in my world) time.

Like you I prefer to have everything done and have had a shower so I can just sit, eat and enjoy. The washing up waits till tomorrow

Eating late stops me nibbling on unnecessary stuff and one thing I cannot do is go to bed hungry.
    Originally posted by karcher
    Me to, I need a full belly to get to sleep

Dinner is in the oven as I type barnsley lamb chop, baked round courgette with galic & oregano and roasted charlotte potatoes. I'm looking forward to it
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,364 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Do any of you freeze things like left over baked beans rather than put the remains of a tin in the fridge and then feel that you have got to eat them, because otherwise they would just be wasted.

I've been thinking about CFO a bit this evening and have been googling things that can be frozen and I am ashamed to admit that a lot more can be frozen than I realised.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 10,634 Thanks
    karcher
    Do any of you freeze things like left over baked beans rather than put the remains of a tin in the fridge and then feel that you have got to eat them, because otherwise they would just be wasted.

I've been thinking about CFO a bit this evening and have been googling things that can be frozen and I am ashamed to admit that a lot more can be frozen than I realised.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Nope can't say I have ever frozen baked beans....but unlike a lot of you CFO'ers, I eat the whole tin

I freeze anything and everything: like my LO (nearly complete) pizza. It was a veggie one though.

ETA I wouldn't refreeze fish/shellfish...anything else is fair game for the freezer in my world.
    Last edited by karcher; 16-07-2017 at 9:35 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    caronc

Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Yep I'll freeze most anything apart from salad Baked beans etc. are absolutely fine frozen
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 16th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,270 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    I freeze almost everything but haven't done baked beans as I eat the tin in two sittings anyway.

I do freeze milk, butter, cheese, sandwiches and keep bread frozen and just defrost however much i need each time. I will freeze anything really. I know not all CFO'ers have the luxury of a chest freezer but mine helps me eat well and with little or no food waste
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

710Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin