Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,069Posts
    • 14,039Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 274
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Jul 17, 6:03 PM
    • 13,173 Posts
    • 36,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I've just had to pick a load of plums off a tree in my garden - as I discovered the local birds are making themselves so much at home they've been treating it like a free snack bar.

Talk about confidence on their part - by now they'll even come and sit on the tree when I'm actually by it and try to get another little fruit snack

So I've picked the vast majority. Some of them not quite ripe enough yet - and those ones are stuck on trays on my windowsill in the hope they'll finish ripening.

So - I've got loads of "ripe enough" ones - I have a feeling I'm going to be eating a load of stewed plums over the next few weeks somehow (and attempting bottling some of them again - minus sugar - as I don't use sugar).

Must get and do that stirfry I decided on for dinner......

Go to food-wise = well....I find it quite handy to chop up loads of suitable veg. including onions and do a tray of roasted vegetables. Can be eaten with couscous or potato wedges for instance. That stirfry I have in mind is another one.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 15-07-2017 at 6:06 PM.
    ploughing my own furrow...

No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    caronc
    I've just had to pick a load of plums off a tree in my garden - as I discovered the local birds are making themselves so much at home they've been treating it like a free snack bar.

Talk about confidence on their part - by now they'll even come and sit on the tree when I'm actually by it and try to get another little fruit snack

So I've picked the vast majority. Some of them not quite ripe enough yet - and those ones are stuck on trays on my windowsill in the hope they'll finish ripening.

So - I've got loads of "ripe enough" ones - I have a feeling I'm going to be eating a load of stewed plums over the next few weeks somehow (and attempting bottling some of them again - minus sugar - as I don't use sugar).

Must get and do that stirfry I decided on for dinner......

Go to food-wise = well....I find it quite handy to chop up loads of suitable veg. including onions and do a tray of roasted vegetables. Can be eaten with couscous or potato wedges for instance. That stirfry I have in mind is another one.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    What about plum chutney or plum brandy to use up some of them?
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 15th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 7,601 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Thanks for the welcomes

NewPastures - I like your philosophy but at the momont it wouldnt work for me.

Everyone I seem to talk to lately appears to be "a creature of habit" - translating to "it's monday it must be mince" I'm sorry but this is something I find hard to go along with - I am not, never have been, and hope never to become a creature of habit. Routine and eating the same meal repeatedly bores me, which is probably why it can take me over 6 months to run down the freezer meals to defrost the thing .

Like others there are the days when I CBA cooking thats why in my quest to be more organised and eat more meat-less meals I thought the batch cooking of beans would provide the base for burgers, stews, chilli as well as side dishes and salads. So as a start I'm going to cook a batch of black beans tomorrow and see how it goes.

Tonight from the freezer I've had Chilli in Tacos with salad and sweetcorn salsa, also from freezer stocks tomorrow's evening meal will be Chicken & Mushroom Lasagna with green beans & a garlic bread slice, so two meat meals in a row it has to be meat-free on Monday.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    caronc

Everyone I seem to talk to lately appears to be "a creature of habit" - translating to "it's monday it must be mince" I'm sorry but this is something I find hard to go along with - I am not, never have been, and hope never to become a creature of habit. Routine and eating the same meal repeatedly bores me, which is probably why it can take me over 6 months to run down the freezer meals to defrost the thing .
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Sounds like the typical menu when I was growing up: Roast on Sunday, roast LOs Monday, mince Tuesday, sausages Wednesday, macaroni or cheesy eggs Thursday (my Dad got paid on Friday so something cheap), fish on Friday and curry or spag bol on Saturday
    Running down the freezer- I try and fail miserably on that one
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 15th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 7,601 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Sounds like the typical menu when I was growing up: Roast on Sunday, roast LOs Monday, mince Tuesday, sausages Wednesday, macaroni or cheesy eggs Thursday (my Dad got paid on Friday so something cheap), fish on Friday and curry or spag bol on Saturday
    Originally posted by caronc
    Yep, sounds familiar to me except my dad (bless him) didnt like "foreign stuff" so it was just mum, me and my bro's that had mac & cheese, curry was a no, no but during school hols back in the 70's mum and I would sneak in a vesta curry for the two of us and everyone else would complain about the smell
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 25,528 Posts
    • 103,186 Thanks
    candygirl
    My fave go to cba meal is either a cheese omelette, or cheese n onion butty Am having more n more cba days at the mo
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    caronc
    Yep, sounds familiar to me except my dad (bless him) didnt like "foreign stuff" so it was just mum, me and my bro's that had mac & cheese, curry was a no, no but during school hols back in the 70's mum and I would sneak in a vesta curry for the two of us and everyone else would complain about the smell
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    I think many folk were like that. Don't get me wrong my parents were actually for the time pretty adventurous eaters and unusually for my part of the world my Dad cooked, financial constraints and availability of many foodstuffs probably paid a big part. Certainly as I grew up food varied more though still tended to follow a pattern. I think getting a fridge/freezer in the mid-70s opened up a whole new world for them. My maternal grandmother was very suspicious of "new" foods unless it was vaguely Anglo-Indian! Her sister lived in India for many years and brought back some dishes that my gran deemed acceptable
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 13,173 Posts
    • 36,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Definitely not a creature of habit here.

I had far too much of enforced "habit" whilst still holding down a job (ie prior to retirement).

The whole "If it's Monday - Friday I have to make sure I'm there at the office 9 - 5 or thereabouts".

Can't be doing with it now.

I do have a tendency for pretty much the same breakfast every day - ie porridge (with fruit/seeds/whatever on top) and toast and coffee. But I'm planning on trying to introduce a bit more variety when I get my act together.

No "habits" for what I have at lunchtime or dinnertime - or even as to which of those 2 meals is going to be my "main meal" that day (it varies according to what I'm doing).

About the only habit I have food-wise is doing a quick scan whenever I'm buying food somewhere to see if there's anything I've not tried out yet. My "food vocabulary" is way way bigger (quantum leap stuff) than I was brought up with

• caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    caronc
    Definitely not a creature of habit here.

I had far too much of enforced "habit" whilst still holding down a job (ie prior to retirement).

The whole "If it's Monday - Friday I have to make sure I'm there at the office 9 - 5 or thereabouts".

Can't be doing with it now.

I do have a tendency for pretty much the same breakfast every day - ie porridge (with fruit/seeds/whatever on top) and toast and coffee. But I'm planning on trying to introduce a bit more variety when I get my act together.

No "habits" for what I have at lunchtime or dinnertime - or even as to which of those 2 meals is going to be my "main meal" that day (it varies according to what I'm doing).

About the only habit I have food-wise is doing a quick scan whenever I'm buying food somewhere to see if there's anything I've not tried out yet. My "food vocabulary" is way way bigger (quantum leap stuff) than I was brought up with
    Mine too! I don't mind "samey" breakfasts/lunches but do like variety in my evening meal
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    caronc
    I've just emailed M&S re their Southern Fried Chicken portions to see if they have changed the recipe. I buy this reasonably regularly but on this batch the coating was horribly salty, I had to pick it off (and it's usually the best bit ). I hope not but hate when places change things. No sign of "new & improved" on the packaging (it seldom is IMHO) but you never know.....
    • meg72
    • By meg72 16th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,075 Thanks
    meg72
    Yes that's the way it was when I was raised too. It had to be that way no fridges or freezers and lots of stuff was still on ration plus money was tight.

Looking back I think I was lucky to be raised that way. I was happy healthy and learned to appreciate a treat. Mum baked jam tarts scones, rock buns .Bread and teacakes and fruit cake.

I raised my own family along the same lines but had a fridge in the late 60s and then a freezer so more choice. but had to work hard to avoid the children getting picky and asking for more and more sweet things. Lol I remember my son feeling very hard done by when he was told No he couldn't have cheesecake for his tea but could have it after instead.

I see nothing wrong in being a creature of habit. Lol we all are in that we all need to eat and we all have our own different habits.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    caronc
    Yes that's the way it was when I was raised too. It had to be that way no fridges or freezers and lots of stuff was still on ration plus money was tight.

Looking back I think I was lucky to be raised that way. I was happy healthy and learned to appreciate a treat. Mum baked jam tarts scones, rock buns .Bread and teacakes and fruit cake.

I raised my own family along the same lines but had a fridge in the late 60s and then a freezer so more choice. but had to work hard to avoid the children getting picky and asking for more and more sweet things. Lol I remember my son feeling very hard done by when he was told No he couldn't have cheesecake for his tea but could have it after instead.

I see nothing wrong in being a creature of habit. Lol we all are in that we all need to eat and we all have our own different habits.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Absolutely it would a very boring world if we were all the same

Good morning everyone,

After the horrible weather yesterday the sun is shining this morning so I'm hoping it stays that way.

Pootled through to the kitchen after my shower to find a bunch of gladioli sitting on the counter, my Dad must have popped by and departed while I was showering. I do live in a very low crime area but it did make me think especially now I'm poochless that perhaps I ought to be a tad more security conscious.

I had a butter-fingers moment last night and managed to badly crack a couple of eggs, I did manage to salvage them so eggs for lunch today. As the forecast is ok and warmish for the next few days I'm going to freeze what's left of the soup I made yesterday. Lamb chop I think for tonight
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 10,269 Thanks
    karcher
    CFO not going very well here.

Cooked a pizza last night then only ate a slice. Had another slice earlier but don't want to just stuff my face with the rest so I have put it in the freezer.

Just had my second breakfast of toast, which I managed to burn!

I've got a feeling today will be an eat everything and anything I can get my hands on kind of day
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 16th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,256 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Good morning everyone.

It's sunny here too but I am in work so can't take advantage of it. The air con is on though which makes it very pleasant to be in

Thank you for sharing your quick and easy meal ideas it's been great and given me some ideas. When I was growing up my parents were adventurous with food and still are. Mum also made everything from bread and muesli to sorbets and ice cream so it gave me a good grounding in cooking and eating. Dad still won't eat anything where the sauce has come out of a packet or jar and as he's 83 now I don't think he's going to change anytime soon

Lunch today is a cheese, ham and onion chutney sandwich, yoghurt and fruit and tea will be a chilli with wedges.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 55,178 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    KArcher........I've just had my second breakfast too. glad I'm not the only one who likes to have more than 3 meals a day. I am quite the "LIttle Hobbit" - I am a girl who likes her grub.

Luckily I like cooking and am quite adventurous, I will try most things once and there's not much I won't eat.

The only reason I don't eat grains is for health reasons. I adore nice bread and it was difficult at first having to give it up. But......it's worth it because I really do feel so much better now than I adhere to Paleo principles. I can allow myself bread about once a week without disastrous results. If I overdo it then I'm in trouble so it's just not worth falling off the wagon.

I have bought some alternative flours to have a go at Paleo friendly baking so that I can make myself the odd biscuit or bit of cake.

My neighbour gave me a bowl of red currants and blackcurrants. I cooked them down and they are delicious with natural Greek yoghurt for "first breakfast".

I have various bits of veg lurking in the fridge so tonight will be Moroccan chicken with a medley of Mediterranean style veg. Still got plenty of fruit for pudding and general nibbles. Need to get some chocolate though........I have ran out. That will never do.!!!

Today will clean the fridge ready to do a stock up tomorrow.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 16-07-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I started off with Greek yoghurt and mixed berries for breakfast, then fancied some toast and jam for a mid morning snack, so had that.

I will make my lunch in a minute a cheese and pickle sandwich.

Dinner I'm having a turkey breast fillet in a creamy mushroom and pepper sauce. I'm not sure whether that will be with rice or pasta, although I am veering more towards the rice option at the minute.

I made a bakewell cake yesterday so a slice of that will be pudding.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 13,173 Posts
    • 36,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Pootled through to the kitchen after my shower to find a bunch of gladioli sitting on the counter, my Dad must have popped by and departed while I was showering. I do live in a very low crime area but it did make me think especially now I'm poochless that perhaps I ought to be a tad more security conscious.
    Agreed - ie re being more security-conscious.

Cautionary tale - years back a friend of mine lived in what they perceived as "very low crime area". In their case too - the house they had was clearly not likely to be occupied with anyone with any money much. However, other nearby houses were clearly the homes of comfortably off people. All round - they didnt think they were at risk.

My eyebrows went up and I went when they told me this. They didn't listen to me. You guessed the rest - only they came into the room in time to yell at the would-be thief standing there (ie before they'd managed to help themselves to anything).

......and you're a woman. There is you as well to protect.

• SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 16th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,256 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Agreed - ie re being more security-conscious.
    I always keep the front door locked when I'm in the house even though my son (with a law degree would you believe?!) thinks it's madness.

What I have learned during Criminology lectures is that a lot of crimes are crimes of opportunity - don't give anyone the opportunity to get into your door/windows/shed/garage etc regardless of whether you live in a high or low crime area. Sad but true.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 13,173 Posts
    • 36,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'd gathered that most thieves are opportunists too - they'll take the easy way if they see one.

Not someone like me - that keeps doors etc locked and it's probably clear that I'd be quite prepared to literally "fight back" if need be if I actually spotted them.

• caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    caronc
    I always keep the front door locked when I'm in the house even though my son (with a law degree would you believe?!) thinks it's madness.

What I have learned during Criminology lectures is that a lot of crimes are crimes of opportunity - don't give anyone the opportunity to get into your door/windows/shed/garage etc regardless of whether you live in a high or low crime area. Sad but true.
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    I'd gathered that most thieves are opportunists too - they'll take the easy way if they see one.

Not someone like me - that keeps doors etc locked and it's probably clear that I'd be quite prepared to literally "fight back" if need be if I actually spotted them.
    My front door (on a main road) auto locks so no need to worry about that side of the house. The back is reasonably secure any would be thief would have two gates and a long over-looked garden to reach the house but it did make me think. I'm very good at locking up if popping out but don't lock the back door when I'm in (though do at night) but think I will start if I'm in the shower as I hadn't a clue anyone had been in the house this morning and my Dad isn't known for his silent approach......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,518Posts Today

6,263Users online

Martin's Twitter