Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,865Posts
    • 12,651Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 272
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 9,719 Posts
    • 54,594 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I have been painting furniture today. I'm shattered and starving so I'm going to have an early dinner.

One of the joys of CFO - you can eat when you are hungry and dont have to wait for others.

Of course eating early means that I shall be hungry again around 9 pm. Never mind, I've got plenty of nice eats to chose from.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone,

I've had a strange day and am now totally fed up with food.
    Breakfast - I can't remember what I had now.
    Lunch was some toast.
    Dinner was going to be yesterday's left over meatballs with a freshly made italian type sauce but I've just had a small piece of haddock and a tomato.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

....and the prices of cheap meals out are noticeably dearer here. Yep...I cant figure it out either....but am guessing it's down to the fact that there are a lot of students in Home City and there arent here. So I tend to put it down to the "student factor" personally.

Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Sorry, hate to disprove your student theory, but I live in a university town and the prices for eating out are much higher here than they are if I get on the train and head down towards London or north to Suffolk.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Lunch was a part baked baguette with sausages in, note for for other lovers of quality high meat content sausages, Waitrose have Heck ones, 97% meat, on offer at £2, normally over £3 pack. I bought two packs this morning, long dated to 23rd and will freeze if not eaten by then
    Originally posted by Farway
    The Heck offer at Waitrose is on up to and including 8th August, so plenty of opportunity to get some
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 12,865 Posts
    • 35,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Sorry, hate to disprove your student theory, but I live in a university town and the prices for eating out are much higher here than they are if I get on the train and head down towards London or north to Suffolk.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Then maybe it's down to the high number of places to eat out back in my Home City. There are loads and it's always worth keeping an eye out for new ones opening - as it happens frequently (whether it be totally new places opening up or places changing hands).

Add that I think there is a way of thinking that's very "critical consumer/pretty high standards" there.

Here - there are very few places and it's down to villages/small towns/not very big at all towns and a lot of "peer pressure" to keep your mouth shut if you're not satisfied with standards. You're probably talking about someone's friend/relative/neighbour if you say anything about a service being less than satisfactory - whereas, if it's all much more anonymous, then you just move onto the next thing/place/etc if somewhere is less than satisfactory. That helps a lot in keeping standards up - and I'm guessing it also helps keeps prices down.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 59,234 Posts
    • 345,862 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    For tea I went for beans on toast with 2 poached eggs on top ... and a splash of brown sauce.

Then .... a choc ice.

Then ...two digestives.

I've newly decided to keep all "bread items" in my bottom/half drawer in the freezer. So I put in there the 2/3rds of the last loaf I've not eaten (date says today) ... and two crumpet packs, one with 2 in, one with 4 in. I decided to do this when I opened the freezer to chuck the bread in and realised it wouldn't fit in either of the two drawers... and the half drawer was empty, so I thought of it and then did it.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 13th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 31,328 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    I don't know about cheap food in university towns but there is ridiculously cheap alcohol! I've had my daughter and elder son at uni in Leeds and Manchester and my youngest is currently at Bangor where all drinks are £1 in lots of the pubs/bars. I don't agree with it being that cheap but hey ho.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 59,234 Posts
    • 345,862 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I knew a chap who was at Hull Uni in ~2007/2009 - he said there was an All You Can Eat at £2.50!! That was an unbelievable price even on that date. Typically a cheap AYCE would be ~£6-7.

In 2009 I visited somebody I knew in London - he had a house guest arriving and I was turning up later that day, so he took his transatlantic guest to a local indian restaurant. He didn't live in "the cheap seats" with a riverside flat with a wall of windows overlooking the Thames and a significant bridge .... yet what he paid for that indian restaurant within half a mile of his flat was cheaper than I'd be able to pick up a takeaway for!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 59,234 Posts
    • 345,862 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've got a new "cheap/good" tip .... I've been trying to cut back on pricey Pepsi Max - which I've been buying at a price of 25p/can for the last few years.... I needed to break that habit and find a fizzy pop that didn't feel like I was cheating myself and that didn't require me to continually search for the cheapest deal/price and then over-buy because it was cheap, then drink the lot because it was there. The price was getting ridiculous, to be honest, as I was "chasing the deals" and stocking up, so guzzling it .... and it wasn't cheap at 4-5 cans/day.

I accidentally tried the L1dl Fiery Ginger Beer, No Added Sugar, 45p/2 litres last Saturday (bought for workmen who had finished the job/packed to leave by the time I got back....). I hadn't spotted it was the No Added Sugar in the shop as I was in a rush but then got held up with till problems/queues.

I used to LOVE ginger beer when I was younger - had a few cans over the years since but have been disappointed - but this one really hits the spot.

At that price it's worth a go.

Tip: It MUST be served very cold. Shop temperature, or 1 hour in the fridge, isn't enough.... after 3 hours in the fridge that's the one!

Cheap as chips.... I'm now on 1 litre/day
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Cheap as chips.... I'm now on 1 litre/day
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    "I'm now on 1 litre/day" . I did find that amusing it sounds like a confession of someone who is abusing something addictive
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

.... yet what he paid for that indian restaurant within half a mile of his flat was cheaper than I'd be able to pick up a takeaway for!
    I think that it's just market forces that dictates prices in independant places. As you said, you live on the south coast and there is a lot of yacht types/tourists. When I lived in Beaulieu with Lyndhurst/Lymington, Brockenhurst on doorstep and the middle of the New Forest prices were extortionate. But, go into Southampton itself and you could literally half the cost of a drink/meal out/takeaway. This was even the same when we moved to Chandlers Ford. When I finished uni and my 1st ex husband (yep I've got two of those ) got posted back to Suffolk and we moved back up here we couldn't get over how cheap things were, and we were living in Aldeburgh which isn't a cheap area.
    Last edited by Hollyharvey; 14-07-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 59,234 Posts
    • 345,862 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    At about 1.30am I had a cheeky crumpet and chocolate spread

No breakfast today, not hungry.

I've still two tomatoes that need using up - it must be night on 2 weeks since I bought them! Trouble is, bread's in the freezer now and it's not great when it's been frozen on its last date (best frozen the day you buy it), so not keen to defrost some to make sandwiches.

I've an unopened pack of pitta.... dated 2 July
    Might open that to use those up ... maybe not today though.

I've still spuds I can eat and an open tin of beans (I've usually got an open tin of beans in the fridge to be honest) ... beans are the backbone of quick/easy food for me. On toast, on potatoes, as a side dish to something I've nuked... so versatile

There's the pizza I bought some days ago - although the date on that is the 18th, so no hurry there. As it's Friday and tomorrow's Saturday, that'd be best as either tea tonight or tomorrow. Pizza is a Friday or Saturday special treat item.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Today, I shall be having the leftover meatballs from Wednesday that I was going to have yesterday but CBA to make a different sauce. I've just made up an Italian sauce with tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, onion and a few more herbs of the dried variety that were hanging about in the cupboard. I threw in some mushrooms that were starting to look a bit dry as well. I will have that on some spaghetti and then grate some cheese over it. It should be ok.

I have frozen the other portion of meatballs and the two portions of the more spicy sauce I made.

Breakfast was toast and a banana.

I'm not sure what to put in a sandwich for lunch yet, meanwhile, a few chocolate digestives should keep hunger at bay

I seem to have lots of small amounts of veg still hanging around. Not enough to freeze. I may make some sort of vegetarian dish to use them up but I'm not sure what yet. I will have to have a think about it later.
    • gt568
    • By gt568 14th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 2,262 Thanks
    gt568
    I don't eat out very often, you generally need two people to do that.
    No you don't.

I adore eating out alone, I can savour the meal and not have to be distracted with conversation.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 14th Jul 17, 3:40 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 31,328 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Good afternoon. I am having a lovely day reading a thriller book that I'm finding hard to put down so am not doing! Haven't eaten yet but I have just put a tuna pasta bake in the oven made with extra pasta I cooked last night (deliberately for tonight), a chopped onion, handful of frozen sweetcorn, handful of peas, a tin of tuna and a tin of Campbell's condensed mushroom soup all mixed together then put in a casserole dish. A grating of cheese on the top and a sliced tomato and in the oven until brown and bubbly. It isn't gourmet or even particularly full of five a day veg but it was a favourite of mine in the 70's when Mum used to make it so I've resurrected for myself as none of my children liked tuna and I didn't cook it. One of the joys of CFO

I am working this weekend, all next week and the following weekend as normal so felt justified in having a lazy day today.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

I've had a very quiet day so far, I'm finding the new meds hard to adjust to and I'm finding they are making me feel very odd for a number of hours after taking them. Thankfully I perk up a bit as the day goes on .

My son headed off early this morning to drive to Cardiff to see his brother for a few days, so it's back to CFO for me. He made a lovely dinner for us last night trout with creamed leeks in filo pastry with Ayrshire tatties, spring onions and peas. It's a real faff to make as he had to fillet and skin the trout first but boy is it tasty though definitely not a CFO dish .
    I have far too much food in my fridge, a combination of guests over the last couple of weeks and the gift of F&V from my friend so I've been trying to use some bits up. Breakfast was toast with banana and the last of the strawberries, lunch the last wedge of stottie, with the last of the bbq'd chicken and the end of a cucumber. Tonight it's LO spuds from last night with a pork chop, a few runner and broad beans and courgette from the garden. I'll pop the chicken carcass with some pot veg in the SC overnight to make stock. There are 3 further portion of the trout in filo in the fridge so I'll get them frozen and also a pack of M&S southern fried chicken portions (bought as they are in the 3 for £10 offer and we were getting chicken & burgers for the bbq). Hopefully once that lot is stashed I'll have a better idea if there is anything needing used up quickly lurking.
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 14th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 31,328 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Hope your side effects from your new meds settle soon Caroncxx
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 5,773 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon, been mucking about doing not a lot really.

Last night's runners with shallot butter, with onions not shallots, was lovely and really easy, def one to make again

I will make it again 'cos I picked 1.6kg of runners yesterday and so have loads in the fridge, I think tomorrow is chutney making day, & all the ingredients are in my cupboards anyway so no extras to buy. Unlike the daft Ainsley only 5 ingredients cook book I thumbed through down Plymouth.

First one I looked at had flatbread, halumi, peppers and the like, yep, always have loads of them in stock, not

Nil breakfast
    cake & coffee at volunteer mid morning break
    Sausage sarnie & mustard for lunch
    Dinner, not sure but getting very CBA and could be another sausage sarnie, or PNs eggs on beans on toast perhaps, they are something I do have in stock

I was going to pick some blackberries & red currants to go with LO ice cream for a pud, but it is now cloudy and a bit windy so they will stay on the bushes for another day
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 12,865 Posts
    • 35,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hope your side effects from your new meds settle soon Caroncxx
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Ditto - seconded.

...and, on another topic, if that thriller book is that unputdownable - what's the title and author please?

Not that I feel "settled" enough to read much at the moment - I feel like I'm having to sort out lots of "annoying little things" at the moment and gritting teeth - wondering when on earth life is going to be "settled - and I can just get on with it". Must be optimistic it will be soon.....
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks SunnyG and MTSTM, I am tbh finding it a bit wearing, being dizzy is hard going enough without being dizzy and spaced out. Still they said it would take a month for the effects of the meds to settle down and I'm not even finished week one so I shouldn't really complain.

Farway - I still have runner envy, only 3 of mine have been ready so far. I'm hoping not to have too many ready at one time but a few more would have been nice

The housework is still there but I did give my freezer a bit of a tidy. The top shelf of my smaller freezer had turned into a bit of a landslide area if you tried to take anything out. I remembered I had bought baskets to store my spices etc. once I got that cupboard sorted out (still on the "to-do" list) and realised they would fit nicely in the freezer so a bit of re-arranging and hopefully no more stuff will tumble out ......
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,679Posts Today

8,107Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin