Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,811Posts
    • 12,284Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 269
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 9th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 31,008 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Blimey - that sounds scarey!

I've never been in Hospital, wasn't even born in one!

Glad you're back... you've missed...not a lot really
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I think you'd like the food in hospital as it's nothing too modern (with your 70's tastebuds) and it's presented to you 3 times a day so no decisions to make. And of you don't like what's on offer a sandwich is usually sourced for you
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 59,118 Posts
    • 345,205 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I think you'd like the food in hospital as it's nothing too modern (with your 70's tastebuds) and it's presented to you 3 times a day so no decisions to make. And of you don't like what's on offer a sandwich is usually sourced for you
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Watching the telly, all Hospitals do food differently. Some are truly appalling. Dad loved the food he got in Cornwall - which was all properly cooked and better than he was used to at home, to be honest

I don't plan on going to Hospital any time..... but you'd have said that a fortnight ago. There's nobody to look after me if I get ill, I'd have to fend for myself at home.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 59,118 Posts
    • 345,205 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Yesterday I picked up a frozen pack of steam rice "indian inspired" at 4ldi. I've never bought such a product before, but I was trying to buy random food instead of buying a takeaway, but then I changed my mind about cooking it and made plain basmati myself in the end. So I had these indian rice packs.... and I just tried one. Steam it for 3 minutes.... I chucked a boiled egg on top and some instant curry sauce, so it was a quick egg curry.

The portion size was a bit tight ... the taste was great. 99p for two sachets is a bit steep though for what it is.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 9th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 31,008 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Watching the telly, all Hospitals do food differently. Some are truly appalling. Dad loved the food he got in Cornwall - which was all properly cooked and better than he was used to at home, to be honest

I don't plan on going to Hospital any time..... but you'd have said that a fortnight ago. There's nobody to look after me if I get ill, I'd have to fend for myself at home.
    I agree that it can be the luck of the draw with some hospital food. I was lucky I think.... or I'll just eat anything that meant I didn't have to make it

I fully appreciated my Mum's help as I normally fend for myself too. I was more worried about the dog who is old and blind but he was fine and probably didn't even notice that I was gone
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 35,129 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I don't know about holidays or furreners.... I've never been abroad and don't have holidays. I always cover up, wherever I am.
    I counted the other day - and I've only had 7 holidays in total (early 60s)

My definition of what to wear abroad is purely and simply based on what's practical - and that does tend to mean covering up a lot more than most British people (because I regard that as practical in a hot climate). I know that that seems to go down well with the "locals" - but actually I've done it for my own benefit.

On beaches - before now I've seen a beach with local women wading into the sea fully dressed on the one hand and German women in just bikini bottoms on the other hand. Me - I wear both halves of my bikini - as, after all it's a holiday resort and they want our money........so I'm certainly not wading in fully dressed.

But I would think it was taking things a bit too far in their country not to wear a bikini top - though I'll start whipping extra bits of clothing off in more modern countries than Britain (ie where German or Scandinavian norms predominate for instance).
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 35,129 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Sunny Girl - glad you've come through okay re your health problem.

#I'mWithNoel
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 59,118 Posts
    • 345,205 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Yesterday was SCORCHIO!
    Today is SCORCHIO!

It's a good job I stocked up on choc ices last time I was in 4ldi. I'd bought a pack of 8 and greedily grabbed another on ~Friday... I had 2-3 choc ices yesterday

Today it'll be CFO=Choc-ices For One a couple of times.

I've no plans on "cooking", but will, no doubt, be grazing random foods in the heat.

It might be wise to pop out to L1dl in 10-15 minutes and grab a loaf of bread and some eggs, so I can make simple sandwiches..... in fact, having typed that, that's a plan!

Bread .... to sandwiches. Before it gets too hot to care/bother.

EDIT: I did that and bought some "unexpected items".... I got bread...and part-baked baguettes and eggs - all as intended. Then I browsed a bit, so also got a pack of scones, a serves-4 quiche, 2 small bananas and a pack of hash browns (can't run out of those as they're nice).

It's very difficult choosing/deciding as there's so much one could buy, or stock up on, but you have to not over-shop. I've still got food here that "needs using up" that I need to keep an eye on!

Cheese: Looks like cheese is one of the weekend special deals, so I've made a note in my diary to buy cheese. Didn't get it the last two times as I already had cheese stocks, but I've now opened my last pack, so it's time to stock up a bit.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 10-07-2017 at 8:44 AM.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 10th Jul 17, 10:08 AM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 31,008 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Morning all it's not scorchio here at all in fact it's pouring down! Warmish but nothing unusual.

My plans for today are to do some houseworky jobs this morning such as washing, stripping the bed and having a dust and vac then I'm taking my parents shopping this afternoon to Aldi, Home Bargains and Tesco apparently. My Dad is having his cataracts fixed on Wednesday but can't drive until then so I'm the chauffeur at the moment. In a way it makes me spend more taking them shopping as I'm a monthly shopper and don't venture into supermarkets or the like in between times. When I'm out with them I naturally see all manner of tempting things that I want to buy but don't need so have to be firm with myself! I do need 24 tins of dog food and some tomato pur!e today so will content myself with that. I used to feed the dog dried food which is economical and less smelly but at his advanced years he struggles to eat it even when soaked in water or gravy. I know the feeling haha.

Lunch is going to be a bowl of soup from the freezer and some cheese and crackers and tea this evening is sausages, potato wedges and either beans or peas depending on my mood. I bought packs of 8 sausages from Sainsbury's and they usefully come in 2 snap off packs of 4 which is ideal for we CFOers. I really only want 3 as a serving but will either treat the dog or have the last one cold later on with a bit of chutney on one of my fridge raids
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 4,273 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    It's really hot here as well at the moment and the sun has come out. The forecast here is for thunder and heavy rain from 9.00am until 7.00pm this evening with a yellow warning for heavy rain.

Breakfast was just some Greek yoghurt and berries.

Lunch will be a tuna mayo sandwich and a bit of a side salad to use up some salad stuff that isn't looking too good

I went for a wander around Tesco and picked up a chicken and chorizo paella for dinner. As soon as I saw it I really fancied it. It's not something I would usually cook for myself in part because I don't like eating left over rice and when I have made a paella myself in the past I always ended up making too much and it went to waste. I have only had paella made with fish/shellfish before so I'm looking forward to dinner time today . It seems a long way off though
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 12,284 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

It's actually not raining here but far from warm & sunny.

I'm not sure what on the CFO agenda today. Had toast, cottage cheese and cherries for breakfast and lunch will be a salad wrap of some description but I've no idea at the moment about later. I started my new meds earlier and they seem to have given me a headache which checking the leaflet is common at first. (Seems ironic that a migraine-preventative gives you a headache ) I'm hoping a couple of mugs of tea kick it into touch and I can maybe get some gardening done later.
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 59,118 Posts
    • 345,205 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... chicken and chorizo paella for dinner. As soon as I saw it I really fancied it. It's not something I would usually cook for myself in part because I don't like eating left over rice and when I have made a paella myself in the past I always ended up making too much and it went to waste. I have only had paella made with fish/shellfish before so I'm looking forward to dinner time today . It seems a long way off though
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Well done! Hope you enjoy it.

One of the things with CFO is we can eat WHAT we want (they who have no idea say....) - but, more importantly, we can eat WHEN we want. There's no "dinner time" for us. Early or late, it's when you fancy

If you fell down the stairs this afternoon, your last mortal thought might be "Wish I'd eaten that sooner now....."
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 10th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 31,008 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    It's really hot here as well at the moment and the sun has come out. The forecast here is for thunder and heavy rain from 9.00am until 7.00pm this evening with a yellow warning for heavy rain.

Breakfast was just some Greek yoghurt and berries.

Lunch will be a tuna mayo sandwich and a bit of a side salad to use up some salad stuff that isn't looking too good

I went for a wander around Tesco and picked up a chicken and chorizo paella for dinner. As soon as I saw it I really fancied it. It's not something I would usually cook for myself in part because I don't like eating left over rice and when I have made a paella myself in the past I always ended up making too much and it went to waste. I have only had paella made with fish/shellfish before so I'm looking forward to dinner time today . It seems a long way off though
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    My son got me into this as he used to buy the meal deal at Tesco with this paella on it. I can confirm that it's gorgeous!! I'm envious of your tea now

Good morning everyone,

It's actually not raining here but far from warm & sunny.

I'm not sure what on the CFO agenda today. Had toast, cottage cheese and cherries for breakfast and lunch will be a salad wrap of some description but I've no idea at the moment about later. I started my new meds earlier and they seem to have given me a headache which checking the leaflet is common at first. (Seems ironic that a migraine-preventative gives you a headache ) I'm hoping a couple of mugs of tea kick it into touch and I can maybe get some gardening done later.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Poor you and how ridiculous of the side effects! I suffer with migraine so sympathise. Take care xx

Well done! Hope you enjoy it.

One of the things with CFO is we can eat WHAT we want (they who have no idea say....) - but, more importantly, we can eat WHEN we want. There's no "dinner time" for us. Early or late, it's when you fancy

If you fell down the stairs this afternoon, your last mortal thought might be "Wish I'd eaten that sooner now....."
    you're so right!! One of the things I'm enjoying about living alone is being able to eat when I want to and not because it's time to feed the five thousand I regularly have my tea late or very early and love the freedom of it.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • 59,118 Posts
    • 345,205 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Well, that didn't go to plan.

The quiche, which I'd put out of sight on the top shelf of the fridge still managed to call my name ... so I cut a huge slice (1/3rd) and ate it, completely 'forgetting' I'd bought bread for sandwiches.

And then, from nowhere, there was a flash rain shower!

Then it was muggy, so I had a choc ice.

All at sea now... all the wrong food for the weather I thought I was going to get... again.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 35,129 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yep...lunch was the time it suited me. That today meant I was eating it a bit late for my stomach's liking...as the morning thing I was at ran on a bit.

So lunch today turned out to be leftovers I'd brought back with me from yesterday's social event I was at. Can't say it was that great imo - so I ate a bit of it (filled a gap) and then had a banana and a clementine topped with a bit of Oatly "cream" and some chocolate chips.

#I'mWithNoel
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 4,273 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    And then, from nowhere, there was a flash rain shower!

All at sea now... all the wrong food for the weather I thought I was going to get... again.
    It keeps clouding over here and I start to think that we are about to get the thunder or rain and then the sun comes out again. It's very muggy here as well.

I've given up trying to make sure that I've got the right food for the weather. Some of my friends find it quite amusing that I am eating crumpets at this time of the year. They all say that to them crumpets are an autumn/winter food. I disagree
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 12,284 Thanks
    caronc
    Well unsurprisingly it's been raining again........

Headache is still there in the background - might be the changeable weather as much as anything else!

I'm waiting for the next gap in the showers to nip and water the greenhouse and see if there are any courgettes I can pick as I fancy veggie pasta for dinner. Lunch ended up being a simple lettuce, cucumber and tomato wrap with a little mayo and mustard as I CBA making anything else, it was tasty enough though
    Last edited by caronc; 10-07-2017 at 5:24 PM.
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 59,118 Posts
    • 345,205 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've been painting outside.... so tea was 2 bits of toast and chocolate spread
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 12,284 Thanks
    caronc
    I was just picking a bowl of peas, courgettes and radishes when I got a text from my friend to say check my stoorstep. Her hubby has a F&V business and on the step was a huge box of beautiful F&V and a lovely plant. Certainly going to be a CFO challenge but an enjoyable one

Definitely having veggie pasta tonight
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 35,129 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Good to have a nice surprise like that caron

#I'mWithNoel
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 12,284 Thanks
    caronc
    Good to have a nice surprise like that caron
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It is indeed and even better there is a bag of Girvan tatties
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,376Posts Today

7,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin