Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,843Posts
    • 12,467Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 240
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 20th Jun 17, 6:03 AM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 9,850 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Breakfast was crispy rice, a kind of cereal, with chia seeds and almond milk. Soaked it over night in the fridge. Reminded me of cold rice pudding so very nice.
    Temperature is reading at 26.6C. It's 6am for crying out loud, this would be why I kept waking up during the night. All the windows in the place are on latch too. Gah, air conditioning at work, air conditioning at work...
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 6:06 AM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I probably need to plan an 8am to 9am "raid" on shops. As early as possible for the closest shops, then just after 9am for those on commuter routes to avoid the traffic.

Choc ices, fizzy pop .... and I think a quiche would go down a treat. Stock up so I don't end up sweaty, with tap water and nothing tasty to eat.

Yesterday I quite fancied a burger in a bread roll... so maybe some bread rolls and a pack of burgers.

EDIT: 8.05am and I've made a list, intending to go to 4sda (16 mile round trip) ...but now it's warming up .... and I've not made a start ....and ....meh ...do you think I'll do it? Not sure.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-06-2017 at 8:04 AM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Jun 17, 6:24 AM
    • 12,823 Posts
    • 35,203 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    23.5C here at the moment in the house. Cool outside right now - but a sort of refreshing cool. Can tell its going to be another hot day. Thankfully no hanging round on workmen doing things today - some weeks before it's next tranche of work to be done - so I think I'll probably head for the coast.

I know what you mean re comment about being wary of opening windows because of it being a bungalow (as mine is). Thankfully - it's a pretty safe location I'm in in a variety of ways - so I'm prepared to open most windows (provided I'm up). This is where I wish previous owners of house had done the windows the way I would have - which would include being able to open every bit of window (rather than just 1-2 side windows and 1-2 small top windows - but much of the window is a big pane of glass that can't be opened). I'm just not prepared to go to that extra hassle/expense to swop to those - unless I ever find I have to replace a window anyway (in which case - full window opening it is).

Just checked outside temperature projected - sounds about ideal for me - at mid-20sC. I find I start wilting and wanting to know where cold drinks/fans or air conditioning etc are when outdoor temperature is 30C plus. Maybe that's partly down to a bit of time living in hot climates as a child. Crikey - just checked my Home City and it's going to be several degrees extra there- I think I might find that a bit hot....

EDIT; That's had me googling around - 18C in Edinburgh! 20C in York! I knew I didn't want to move north - I'd even be cold to standard in height of summer personally.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 20-06-2017 at 6:43 AM.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 20th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 4,437 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I probably need to plan an 8am to 9am "raid" on shops. As early as possible for the closest shops, then just after 9am for those on commuter routes to avoid the traffic.

Choc ices, fizzy pop .... and I think a quiche would go down a treat. Stock up so I don't end up sweaty, with tap water and nothing tasty to eat.

Yesterday I quite fancied a burger in a bread roll... so maybe some bread rolls and a pack of burgers.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I'm off out to the shops now same as you. I'm even going for much the same things
    Hope we both get back home before it's too hot!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm off out to the shops now same as you. I'm even going for much the same things
    Hope we both get back home before it's too hot!
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    I'm too undecided... I've got a list in two columns, one means "buy" the other means "look at/check out".

On it so far are: chocolate spread, 83p quiche, grapes, squash drink, 49p scones, pineapple/coconut fruit juice, quarterpounder burgers, veggie burgers, onions. 2nd shop: bread rolls and choc ices. 3rd shop: fizzy pop.

And to look at: pitta, cheesecake, crab pate.

The trouble I have is that when I put an item on the list I then start pontificating about whether I could/should make it myself (and then to which recipe/ingredients) ... and I "get stuck" with indecision and uncertainty. e.g. that quiche..... I could just knock one up, or a crustless one (save calories) ... but it's only 83p and if I buy it, then it's there/available/instant....

Also - the overall volume issues.... I could add more things, but the more you buy, the more you have to "get through before it goes off" So a lot never makes the list, even though I fancy/want it.

I also wonder about taking the hit of higher prices to reduce the number of shops, but there's a "round robin" route I can take.

I need to just DO this ... rather than sitting here, refreshing, "in case" somebody replies ... and time passes ... and then it's too late/hot/etc.

I'm off! Bye.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-06-2017 at 8:18 AM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 20th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 4,437 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

The trouble I have is that when I put an item on the list I then start pontificating about whether I could/should make it myself (and then to which recipe/ingredients) ... and I "get stuck" with indecision and uncertainty. e.g. that quiche..... I could just knock one up, or a crustless one (save calories) ... but it's only 83p and if I buy it, then it's there/available/instant....

I'm off! Bye.

Hope you got off ok

I know what you mean about you could make it yourself. I could/should/usually do make most of what I have bought this morning myself, but I just can't face the heat that having the cooker on would create at the moment. The forecast is for it to stay this hot here at least until Sunday and I'm already feeling ill because of it.

I bought, a couple of quiches, sausage rolls, mini pork pies, some scones, two cheesecake slices, and topped up the salad/fruit. Then got some choc ices.

I am just going to have picky meals and sandwiches for a few days. That's all I fancy eating at the moment.

Hopefully this will last me for a few days.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Hope you got off ok

I bought, a couple of quiches, sausage rolls, mini pork pies, some scones, two cheesecake slices, and topped up the salad/fruit. Then got some choc ices.

I am just going to have picky meals and sandwiches for a few days. That's all I fancy eating at the moment.
    Yes, I went and I'm back. Three shops, £8, £12 and £8 spends.

Phew, what a scorcher, as they say.

I do envy you your "couple of quiches" because as I was waiting for the PC to fire up I thought "should've got two". I also envy you your sausage rolls.... because I didn't get any. I am not a fan of any pork pies. I looked at scones, but the shop didn't have the cheap ones, so I didn't get any. Cheesecake slices sound nice. I had "look at cheesecakes" on my list, but I'd lost the will to live by then!

I've bought a random selection of foods.

Shop 1/4ldi - I walked. Got the big bread rolls I like (intended for burgers), TWO packs of 8 choc ices (so I didn't run out), a bottle of Summer Fruits squash drink and some frozen lamb mince (cheaper than the fresh) which I bought to make kebabs with. Pint of milk, intended to make crustless quiches with, one red pepper (39p/one of this week's offer items), big bag of red onions and a big punnet of grapes (annoyed a bit later as 4sda were cheaper). I figured the onions and pepper and milk will make a quiche .... if I CBA.

Shop 2/4sda I got: 3 litres of fruit juice, an 83p quiche, a 50p pasty, 4 frozen burgers, 18 packets of crisps (multibuy/cheaper/can only get those from 4sda), two jars of choccy spread, some pitta breads for those kebabs .... and some other more mundane/boring things.

Shop 3 I only went in to get fizzy pop at a good price - walked out with 30 cans.

So, overall, I've lots of different/varied food that can be picked from at random ....

On the way back the car thermometer said 35C, the garden/in the shade thermometer said 35C and indoors here (kept the curtains shut while I was out) it's 26C.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-06-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 12,467 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon,

My thoughts are with everyone struggling in the heat, it's lovely here forecasted to reach 20C but there's a nice breeze so very pleasant. Rain coming back from tomorrow though.

Today is the first day in about ten days that I've not felt really off-balance so I'm hoping this bout is eroding and I'll "just" be back at my usual level of dizzy/falling over . Consequently I've had a productive morning, sorted out a new mobile for my Dad as his has died, ordered more steak as it was on SO (£10 for 2kg) of rump steak and also some venison and did some other on-line adminy bits. I'm going to take a whole duck out of the freezer (SO in Lidl around Christma)to make room and will portion that roast the legs and sous vide the breasts so they can be re-frozen. The carcass will make lovely stock for noodle dishes. Breakfast was the usual toast with cheese spread, 2 small flat peaches and the last of the tomato juice. Lunch was crackers with hard boiled egg, coleslaw, rocket and radishes. The radishes have all been scoffed, I've been nibbling at them since they were picked and I gave some to my Dad. Tonight I'm having the pork cheek chilli with either pitta or rice.
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've faffed with the food stocks so I've got "instant food to eat" in the fridge.

I've sliced the quiche, made a coleslaw, made a spud salad, grated a lot of cheese.... I was tempted to slice the red pepper, but ran out of steam.

I've also got salad tomatoes I bought the other day and I've eggs I can boil at the drop of a hat. I've got bread, bread rolls, pitta breads. I've got more crisps than are necessary.

I've got fruit juices and fruit squash that can make lollies; I've got tins of fruit and jellies and custard and dream whip so I could make trifles (won't though, but I could!).... and I've got 16 choc ices.

So I've options ... of things that could go together on a plate .... and I won't go hungry

So much food one could buy, so many variations of what to put on a plate, it's overwhelming most of the time.

Today I've eaten an egg/salad cream sandwich earlier ... and a packet of crisps since I got back from the shops.

I did bother to do all the washing up, which is a good thing
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-06-2017 at 2:05 PM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 20th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 44,997 Thanks
    meg72
    Just had one of the nicer trolley adventures. I had sorted a lot of clothes to go to charity shop but couldn't face going all that way on bus in this heat but wanted it out of way. I decided to just walk down to the colletion skip for the Salvation army that's on Asda Carpark.

So coming back up the hill with, what must be a first for me, an empty trolley met a distraught young Mum with a laden pushchair an empty bag in her hand and shopping all over the floor. Loaded it all up and walked with her to her house, quite near to me. Had a chat and a cup of tea and a lovely cuddle of the baby, a gorgeous 14 month old. Quite made my day.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Loaded it all up ....a cup of tea and a lovely cuddle of the baby, a gorgeous 14 month old. Quite made my day.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Blimey .... I'd have done the same, but I'd have left her at the door .... I "don't do" "stickies"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Something I forgot in the list above .... I bought a bag of orzo. Just been peering into the cupboards trying to decide which way to turn it into a salad.... so many choices, I then closed the cupboard door and thought "something will come to me". I could just mix it with a chopped tomato and some chilli flakes .... if I get lazy. I did think tuna/sweetcorn would do well, but that involved opening two tins and I wasn't up to making that much effort right now. I also thought about using some of the red grapes I bought this morning to whip up a bit of a fruity salad. So, lots of thought, which is tiring... having a rest now with a can of fizzy pop.

Outdoor thermometer in the shade, east-facing, so it lost all sun nearly 4 hours ago ...says 30C now. In this room, indoors, it's 26C.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 20th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 44,997 Thanks
    meg72
    Blimey .... I'd have done the same, but I'd have left her at the door .... I "don't do" "stickies"
    LOL haven't heard them called that before. Reminds me of a time a few years back I was on a bus when a young Mum got on with a pushchair but the driver said she had to fold it down. She unstrapped the baby and turned to a smartly dressed man who was seated and asked him to hold it while she folded the pushchair. Well you should have seen his face, sheer horror, he jumped up and said No I will do the pram. He then gave her his seat and went to the back of the bus, I presume as far away from the little dribbler that he ccould get. Was so funny.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 5,277 Posts
    • 5,725 Thanks
    Farway
    Nothing is ever perfect........

Just picked my first lot of radishes - I only plant a few at a time so I don't get overrun with them. I could have done with sowing batch 2 earlier as they've only just started to peek through.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Mine have gone to seed now, but I have read that the pods are nice & peppery tasting, so this year I will be leaving them to pod up & try some out raw in a salad. I don't do stir fry anymore but expect they would be fine in one.

Good idea about just the T bit of G & T, will seek out a bottle of T maybe tomorrow

Meg72 Your trolley has become very enabling, and just like a dog it can help break ice and meet new people. Very kind of you BTW, a nice Random Act of Kindness

HH I'm with you, no cooking, not even boiled / fried egg, just sandwiches or something ready made from fridge, which in my case is s0d all in there except salad bits / pickles / jam / sauce / mustard and one half jar of sundried toms in oil LO from goodness knows when

Melting again here, 29c with 47% humidity it says on the local weather site, phew it feels like it

No breakfast again, into Lidl on way to volunteering, nothing YS worth bothering with. Did a recce of the crumpets checking for the fluffy ones as per PN and I think I have them , look plumper than usual. Will try later maybe when cooler

I did get some SO baking spuds, but too hot to put oven on for that

Lunch was cheese salad sarnie, and a Ferro [sp?] choccie, Father's day pressie

Dinner, goodness knows, TBH not really hungry. I do not have ice cream / lollies etc. Not really a big fan of tha type of stuff, maybe one every 5 years if out with the grandchildren. I can't remember when last one was

PS, just read post by Jackie O on hate waste thread. Pilchard or sardine sarnie. Sound like just the job, open tin, mash up contents, squidge between slices of bread, maybe add tomato or cuc. Eat, job done
    Last edited by Farway; 20-06-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 12,467 Thanks
    caronc
    Just had one of the nicer trolley adventures. I had sorted a lot of clothes to go to charity shop but couldn't face going all that way on bus in this heat but wanted it out of way. I decided to just walk down to the colletion skip for the Salvation army that's on Asda Carpark.

So coming back up the hill with, what must be a first for me, an empty trolley met a distraught young Mum with a laden pushchair an empty bag in her hand and shopping all over the floor. Loaded it all up and walked with her to her house, quite near to me. Had a chat and a cup of tea and a lovely cuddle of the baby, a gorgeous 14 month old. Quite made my day.
    I'll bet it did - I've not had a baby cuddle in ages there's no wee ones in the family and neither my sister or I are in any hurry to become Grans LOL and friends seem to fall into three categories, haven't got kids, have school age grandchildren or have children just hitting secondary school so none from that source either.
    Something I forgot in the list above .... I bought a bag of orzo. Just been peering into the cupboards trying to decide which way to turn it into a salad.... so many choices, I then closed the cupboard door and thought "something will come to me". I could just mix it with a chopped tomato and some chilli flakes .... if I get lazy. I did think tuna/sweetcorn would do well, but that involved opening two tins and I wasn't up to making that much effort right now. I also thought about using some of the red grapes I bought this morning to whip up a bit of a fruity salad. So, lots of thought, which is tiring... having a rest now with a can of fizzy pop.

Outdoor thermometer in the shade, east-facing, so it lost all sun nearly 4 hours ago ...says 30C now. In this room, indoors, it's 26C.
    I love orzo made into pasta salad. I like it mixed with some balsamic vinegar, chopped tomatoes, a wee bit of onion, chopped peppers, loads of mint and basil, feta cheese and a splosh of olive oil. Lots of nice bread to wipe the juice....
    Mine have gone to seed now, but I have read that the pods are nice & peppery tasting, so this year I will be leaving them to pod up & try some out raw in a salad. I don't do stir fry anymore but expect they would be fine in one.

Good idea about just the T bit of G & T, will seek out a bottle of T maybe tomorrow
    Originally posted by Farway
    I find the radish pods very, very peppery - or maybe it was just the ones I tried

If you fancy a treat the "fevertree" tonic is really rather good though pricey compared to other brands.
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Now I REALLY wish I'd bought two quiches. It's the 83p one at Mr A ... I popped a piece into a plastic sandwich box and left it out on the worktop to get up to room temperature (usually far too impatient for that) - then I ate it with a spoon of my spud salad and a spoon of my coleslaw. Nom nom nom ..... nom .... nom ... that really hit the spot.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 20th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 4,437 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    So far today I have had a yoghurt for breakfast with the usual berries.

I haven't had lunch as such, in this weather I do tend to just graze on picky bits. So far I've had some quiche, a sausage roll and a choc ice.

I did make some potato salad up this morning. I do find with the induction hob that they kitchen doesn't get too hot if I am just boiling up potatoes so thought I would quickly do enough to last a couple of days. So I think that I will just have a plate of 'bits' later maybe with some bread and that will do me.

Tomorrow will be the same. I have got a cardiologist appointment in the morning so it will be good to come back and not have to worry about food or cooking, just help myself out of the fridge. Especially as it is forecast to get even hotter again tomorrow here, and be very humid.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 20th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 31,108 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Good afternoon everyone. I've not been about since Saturday as I've been feeling somewhat down in the dumps. I'll catch up on the posts slowly but just wanted to say hi.

Nothing in particular has caused me to feel a bit down but I do. I have a few weeks stretching ahead without many plans and I think the abyss it's created has side swiped me a bit.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 20th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 4,437 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    That was nice of you. It's good that you were able to use the trolley to help someone else out. I'm with PN though, I wouldn't have hung around with a 14 month old around though. I don't do babies. When my niece was born my sister in law brought her over to meet me, and said that she was determined that she would get me to hold her. She did - eventually, like two years later
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...said that she was determined that she would get me to hold her. She did - eventually, like two years later
    I've never held one
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin